I need HELP. Something is screwed up. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Pretty Good Solitaire Questions » I need HELP. Something is screwed up. « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

CarolAnn (Sunlion7)
Solitaire Player
Username: Sunlion7

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2010 - 8:02 pm:   

I've written Thomas Warfield about this, and have exhausted all the possibilities he's offered. Here's the problem: After copy-pasting a solution to a Penguin game into the appropriate place per Markus's instructions, I began to get error messages when I tried to open Penguin. Here's what I've done.
1) I DELETED ALL the data files and turned off game-saving, per Thomas's direction.
2) TWICE I have UNINSTALLED and REINSTALLED Pretty Good Solitaire.
3) I have done a SEARCH for goodsol and Pretty Good Solitaire files, *.pgs files, and gdcard.dll files and DELETED all of them.
4) Then I reinstalled--SAME PROBLEM returned.

There has got to be a bad "cookie" in there somewhere, but I don't have a clue where to look. I truly hope someone can help me here. BTW, Penguin appears to be the only game that is affected.

Thank you for any help!
CarolAnn
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Annika

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2010 - 9:13 pm:   

How long has this been happening? A couple of years ago, I had a strange Penguin problem. It just wouldn't play! Other PGS games would play. ActSol Penguin would play, but not PGS. I, too asked Thomas for help, and did some of the things he suggested. Nothing helped. Then one day, it had corrected itself. ???? Maybe this will happen for you. Somewhat later, it happened again, and corrected itself again. No problem snce then. Good luck!
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Kathyquade

Post Number: 822
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2010 - 9:46 pm:   

CarolAnn, you can always go to the windows ask-a-question site and explain the problem. They will charge you (I think it's only $12.00), but if they don't fix the problem for you, they will refund your money (they did that for me when I was having problems with IE8 and couldn't solve it). If you don't want to do that, here's what I would do. I would first delete all PGS applications and files. Then I would do a virus check and a spyware or security check (you could do that first before deleting the files if you want to). Then I would reinstall PGS. If that doesn't work, then I'd wait like Jeralyn said and see if it doesn't correct itself. I hope this helps. Maybe someone else would have a better solution, but my first step would be to Google ask.com and you'll see the site I'm talking about.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Markus

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 5:19 am:   

CarolAnn, you followed a hint (link) from me to a message Richard had posted. With Richards instructions is everything ok. Other players used it successfully. Sometimes you have to change the ending before you can open the game number, as Richard described (from .unk to .pgs). Maybe an internal windows-problem caused the problem, because you had to change the ending.
Thomas Warfield (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 8:46 am:   

This problem is apparently caused by some kind of corruption in a saved game file that perhaps spreads to a data file - I'm not sure. In any case, there must be something left over somewhere that isn't getting deleted, a saved game file or something in the game's data folder. If everything is deleted and you have a clean installation, the game should work again.
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 5042
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 11:19 am:   

CarolAnn, I'm hoping that you are talking about a solution Mike uploaded recently. I've just pasted it into the appropriate place and it works OK. I've copied it underneath. Note that it has a .txt extension so your searches wouldn't find it. I shut down PGS and reopened it on Penguin again. No problems.

../18/Penguin_1 489-10055.txt

The link is what you had to post into the "appropriate place", nothing else. No need to change the extension either.
Try seaching your PC for "489-10055.txt", and delete it.
CarolAnn (Sunlion7)
Solitaire Player

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 2:28 pm:   

Thanks to you all. As you see from my initial post, I did delete the data files and even uninstalled and reinstalled twice. It appears that the different file type (i.e., txt) may be the key, because I searched for and deleted all goodsol data files--three times. Jeralyn, this did happen about three weeks ago, and yes, it did correct itself, but that isn't happening this time. Richard, yes, it is the 1489 game, but I have not done a .txt search, so that is next.
Thanks to everyone--I'll let you know when/if it begins to work again.
CarolAnn (Sunlion7)
Solitaire Player

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 3:01 pm:   

Ok, I searched for *489-10055*.txt and also for *1489*.* Neither search brought up anything except a "reg01489" which I am fairly certain is a registry file and not game-related. The thing that throws me is that the uninstall-reinstalls haven't worked. I truly don't want to have to reformat my whole drive--so there must be something hidden somewhere else. Arrrrgh!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5046
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 3:28 pm:   

What exactly did you paste in, and which box did you paste it into?
Also do you have System Restore? It would sort the problem pdq.
CarolAnn (Sunlion7)
Solitaire Player

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 4:11 pm:   

System Restore! What a wonderful idea!

As to what I pasted in, it was the file sent by Markus (Penguin_1489.pgs) pasted into the folder C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Goodsol\Pretty Good Solitaire.

The error message says Microsoft has encountered a problem and has to close.

Ok, I'm gonna do a system restore.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 830
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 5:00 pm:   

CarolAnn, I agree with Richard about the system restore. But just in case it doesn't work, don't forget to give the Microsoft question person a try. I can give you the web address if the above doesn't work.

Since, we're on the subject of computer help, does anyone have a clue as to how I can remove IE8 and go back to IE7. I need IE to update my media player, etc. But IE8 doesn't work, and I can't uninstall it. When I try I get an error message. It's not a big deal, but even Microsoft couldn't solve it, and I would like to get the updates I need which I can't get from Firefox.
CarolAnn (Sunlion7)
Solitaire Player

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 6:09 pm:   

Kathy, when I had that problem, I went to the control panel, add/remove programs, and removed IE8. It was a separate program, not overwriting IE7, so there was no problem removing it. Now I have my Windows updates set to download automatically, but let me choose when/whether to install them. Also, when I choose not to install an update, I can tell it not to try to update with that program again, so it won't keep bothering me :-)
CarolAnn (Sunlion7)
Solitaire Player

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 6:30 pm:   

Well, I shouldn't count my cards before I play, but system restore seems to have worked. At least the game loaded properly. .... OK, I played game #1--IT WORKS! Thank you, Richard, and everyone for everything! I think I'm back in business--hallelujah!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5048
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 7:02 pm:   

The simplest option is invariably the best one CarolAnn. Glad to have been able to help you. The next job is to get you to download a solution properly and get it to work. It's practically 1am here now so it will have to wait until later. Remember to create Restore Points regularly, particularly before you try and install something. That way it is far easier to rectify if it goes pear shaped.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 833
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 3:48 am:   

Tried what you said, CarolAnn, but I got a message that all of the files from IE8 could not be removed and therefore IE could not be removed. I am considering trying to remove my old IE7 but I don't want to lose any applications I may have downloaded with it. I'm glad your problem was solved. I should have thought of system restore. I use it all the time when I have a problem as my first option, and that usually solves my problem.
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Annika

Post Number: 163
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 7:38 am:   

Sometime last year, I downloaded the beta for Internet Explorer 8. Turned out not to be a good thing, and I had to go back to 7. My new laptop has Windows 7 and IE8, but I don't really know yet, how it will work out.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 839
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 7:50 am:   

Have you heard anything about an IE9 coming out in the near future? That would be my only hope.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration