Animation speed too fast Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Pretty Good Solitaire Questions » Animation speed too fast « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Jim Pierce (Jimpierce)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Jimpierce

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 7:33 am:   

I love Goodsol, but the animation speed has been increasing with faster computers to a point that it is almost a blur, even at the slowest settings. Does this require a programming change or is there something that I'm missing to slow the animation (especially dealing)?
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 791
Posted on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 1:20 pm:   

If you set the animation speed settings (there are 3 of them) to the slowest level, that should slow it down significantly even on a fast computer. Unless you have some sort of super fast computer beyond anything I have seen yet, the animation at the slowest level should be slow.
Jim Pierce (Jimpierce)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 6:15 pm:   

Thanks for your incredibly speedy response.
The slowest animation settings are fine for computers up to pentium 2 or so, but are much too fast beyond that. I load the “demo” version of your program on all computers that are sold in my computer shop (hope you’ve made many sales from that) and the faster computers (including my home p4-mobile) deal cards at too rapid a rate to really follow.
Ideally, the slowest setting should at least be “real time”, like someone actually dealing the cards. For an old guy like me, that helps to get a feel for the hand being dealt.
Again thanks for your response and for the thousands of games played. The best investment I’ve ever made!
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Advanced Solitaire Player
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 11:37 am:   

I suspect it depends a lot not only on your computer speed, but also on your video setup. My system's a Celeron 2.2 ghz with an "onboard" Intel video controller, and I find that the fastest animation setting is blindingly fast but the slowest is slow as molasses. For me, one notch down from fastest seems to be most comfortable although not down to the real-time you're looking for.
Jim Pierce (Jimpierce)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 9:12 pm:   

I'm really amazed that the slow animation speed on your P4C-2.2ghz machine is as slow as you say, Mike. I really need to check it out on other systems I work with to see if there is a way to slow the video down so I can "absorb" the information as the cards are dealt. Thanks for your input.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 794
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 1:20 pm:   

When the speed settings were added in version 8, it was with the idea that computers would get faster and that more slowing down of the graphics would become necessary over time. I'll be looking at the speeds in a future version to see if they need slowing down or more speeds added.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration