Getting Rid of a loss Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Pretty Good Solitaire Questions » Getting Rid of a loss « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Melissa Boccia (Melissa_b)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Melissa_b

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 1:55 am:   

Bear with me as I write this become I am so livid with my mother right now I cannot see straight. I have played Twenty over 561 times without a loss. She decided to play a game of Twenty for the first time under my name and got 2 losses ruining my PERFECT record. I was second in the online standings and now that is ruined. Is there a way to get rid of her two "lost" games or do I have to suck it up and never speak to her again? Help!
Shawn Strauss (Shawnstrauss)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Shawnstrauss

Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 6:21 am:   

Get over it. It's just a game and she's your mother.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 965
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 10:39 am:   

This happens, unfortunately. There is nothing that can be done about it, the only way to clear losses is to clear the statistics. We don't have a means to delete losses as that would make the statistics meaningless - people would just delete all their losses.
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Advanced Solitaire Player
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 11:42 am:   

Actually there IS one way to in effect "cheat" in this sense. Make a backup copy of your PGS data folder (under Docs/Settings in XP, there's info here and with the game files as to locations for other versions).

Then if you have a diastrous game (e.g., which breaks a huge sequence of wins), you can copy your backup back to its original location. Most of us will agree that's a kind of cheating, but there are times when it's useful. Like if someone else closes a game you have in progress to do something else on the computer (especially if you don't use auto-save).
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 11:45 am:   

As a P.S. -- teach you mother how to add herself as a new player in the game (or do it for her), and strongly urge her to change players to herself if she wants to play. That doesn't affect anything else except PGS, so you don;t have to mess with things like log-out log-in etc.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Username: Blackie9

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 12:25 pm:   

I do the same. I also back it up on cd. I have transfered the games this way to 3 different computers and 2 different operating systems. After compiling 4500 wins in 3 years I dont want to start over. Mellisa I just started playing twenty myself and love it. One of my favorites.

Ken
Melissa Boccia (Melissa_b)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Melissa_b

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 4:23 pm:   

Thanks for the info everyone. What would happen if I cleared my stats and just started over? Would the new stats override the old stats online? (after I get 50 wins of course). Am I making any sense?
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Username: Blackie9

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 8:08 am:   

Yes they would.

Ken
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 966
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 10:25 am:   

Yes, if you clear your statistics and start over using the same player name, when you submit it will overwrite your old statistics.

Statistics are based on player name so a different player name will give different statistics online.

Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 6:31 am:   

Incredible! "unwanted losses" !!! Why would anybody feel the need to resort to this? Makes a complete mockery of the online stats.
This is in the same realm as rewriting history.
Hitherto the preserve of dictatorships.
And to think that some players think that "peeking" and undoing is cheating.
Whatever happened to morality?
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)
Username: Annika

Post Number: 85
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 7:25 am:   

Of course, Melissa is upset, and of course, she would like to delete those 2 lost games she didn't play. Who wouldn't? What she wrote in anger doesn't mean she is going to hate her mother forever.

For PGS stat competitions to be valid, cheating would have to be impossible, and it isn't. There are some games that are always winnable, like Maze, so first place goes to the person with the most games and 100%. Some games are very hard, and first place goes to the player who figures out a winning strategy, and plays enough to post the highest percentage, restarting from scratch, when necessary. In PGS, it is possible to play one winnable game a zillion times and post as many 100% wins as it takes to get first place. WHY ANYONE WOULD FIND THIS REWARDING OR FUN IS BEYOND ME! Now we hear that one can manipulate the stats at will.
Yuck.

Action Sol, anyone? This is the true competition. Hey, maybe Wpywell will find a way to invalidate these stats, too..........

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 7:45 am:   

Hi Melissa,
If you can do it once, you can do it twice. Your mother has given you an opportunity to prove that.Morally,you still have a perfect score despite what the stats say.
Richard.

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 7:50 am:   

Hello again Melissa,
Just an afterthought. If you want to see someone thumbing his nose at the stats just check my record for Forwards & Backwards. Rock bottom score, Perfect ZERO score.
ALL MY OWN WORK, and proud of it. Who cares?
Richard.
Mary Knicos (Mary_k)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Mary_k

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   

I am nonplussed at the fact that I cannot win AcesUp even once,yet I see others have done so.
Perfect score..big fat zero!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 134
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 4:37 am:   

Hi Mary,
197526561 is a winning number for Aces Up.
Give it a few tries but if you still fail to solve it, post here again and I'll upload a solution
Richard.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 10:05 am:   

Mary, For us Aces Up impaired people (such as myself) 2125371520 is an easier # to win. Ken
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 136
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 11:31 am:   

A good tip with Aces Up involves making the best use of a free space. It is sometimes possible to rearrange the order of the remaining cards. So for example if you had KH,space,QD,6S, you could completely change the order to 6S,KH,QD,space. If you've clicked on undo, you will already know the order of the next four cards. If your fourth card is going to be an ace, you'd arrange for it to fall into a space and not on top of another card.
Cheating or just being smart?
Richard
Mary Knicos (Maryk)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Maryk

Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 2:53 pm:   

Richard,I did finally win one,but cannot win again,using the #s you gave me.Also,I have played more than 103 games but cannot get them to add to the scores list.
Would you know why?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   

Hi Mary,
Your name IS in the scores list, bottom I think. It may have needed to "refresh" before you'd see it.
I have played lots of games and found it practically impossible to re-win them using the numbers that were a success previously..If I persevere long enough however, I always win them again. Only exception so far is General's Patience.
Richard.
Mary Knicos (Maryk)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 9:07 pm:   

Hi,Richard....But it is not up to date. I have played 109+ games....ah,the h... with it!

Mary
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 7:50 am:   

Hi Mary,
Do you realise that you have to resubmit your stats before they are updated? Go online. Open Aces Up,click on Stats, click on "Submit this game's statistics online". Job done.
Richard.
Mary Knicos (Maryk)
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 6:50 pm:   

I have done that numerous times to no avail,even though I refreshed my browser,as suggested by Thomas Warfield. My daughter,who is very PC literate cannot figure it out either. So,I am not going to bother anymore.

Mary

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration