Features Wishlist for PGS Rewrite Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Pretty Good Solitaire Questions » Features Wishlist for PGS Rewrite « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Pretty Good Solitaire on a Play Station PortableThomas Warfield 5-07-06  6:15 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Thomas Maynard (Tmaynard)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Tmaynard

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 1:21 pm:   

Someday PGS will move to the new solitaire engine. When it does, perhaps Thomas could incorporate new features or modify existing features. I'm starting this thread to provide a Wishlist.

I'll start by asking for:

(1) A Fuzzy Card Placement Algorithm: some games are very particular about where you drag and drop a card. I'd like PGS to be just a little less fussy about where the card is when I let go of the mouse button.

(2) A "Tableau Going Offscreen" fix: this could be either an automatic card resizing (which might be distracting) or the simple addition of a scroll bar when the cards go off the bottom of the screen. Anything friendlier than the manual card resizing would be appreciated.

(3) A Mouse-driven Undo/Redo: I usually play with one hand on the mouse and the other on the CTRL-Z keys. Maybe a double-right-click on the background (not on a card) could trigger an Undo. The exact mouse action is unimportant, but I would like PGS to be a one-handed game.

That's about it for me. What would *you* like to see in the next major release?

Tom.
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 9:12 pm:   

Okay, I'm going to reply to my own post! I've thought of something else I'd like to have in a new version of PGS:
(4) A Card-Location-Routine: I've played a Freeware version of Freecell (FCPro26, http://www.solitairelaboratory.com/freecell.html) that has a menubar that shows you where cards are; for example, if you click on the toolbar "4" all the fours in the tableau flash. I miss this feature in PGS, and it would simplify play in any number of games.

and:

(5) An "Anti-King-Hopping" Hint feature: in many games, if there is an open tableau column, asking for a hint just makes a king pile jump back and forth. I'd like to see a valid move that does NOT involve moving a complete tableau pile. If the only valid move is to move a valid column from one spot to another, I'd rather just hear a <beep> ("no valid moves").

Okay, so that's it for the amended list. I'll play a few more games and see if anything else comes to mind! <g>

Tom.
Rachel Cohen (Rachel)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Rachel

Post Number: 446
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 8:50 am:   

(3) Mouse-driven Undo: I always undo by clicking the mouse wheel, I always play with one hand only. Control Z? that would be only for right handeds, and I'm left handed. My Options say Ctrl U which can't be done with one hand and that's not reasonable at all.

(2) Tableau going offscreen - the better option is in Most Popular Solitaire, where the cards crowd together, until you can't recognize them anymore. The scrollbar is very annoying, it happens to me in some games because I play 800X600.

(4) I like the card location suggestion, sometimes I lose a card and only knowing that it must be onscreen and the game is tested - I'm sure it's my problem and not the game's. But of course there's always the question of how much personal effort there should be in playing instead of having the computer play for you. Of course this "personal effort" should never annoy.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 9:21 am:   

The new solitaire engine is under development. You can already see what it looks like in a basic way with Most Popular Solitaire. MPS is the early stage of the new engine that will become PGS. The engine in MPS doesn't yet have all the features PGS has, but it is the beginning. It will be awhile until the engine is ready, but it is coming along.

We aren't quite ready to deal with advanced features in the new engine, we are still working on the basics. However, some of the things in the lists here are done. In particular, the tableau going off the screen issue (which in the current PGS can't really be dealt with for technical reasons) is handled in MPS and therefore won't be a problem in the new engine.

On mouse driven undo, note that in PGS the middle mouse button does undo - I'm not sure if people are aware of that from this thread. Redo is a little tougher - we'd need a 4th mouse button for that! Note that backspace does undo and spacebar does redo, if you want a fast way.
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Advanced Solitaire Player
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 10:20 am:   

Add my vote for your # 4. In the Gaps-Montana family of games, VERY often I know what card I want to move but can't for the life of me find it.

Maybe a related # 6 for that particular family of games -- what if clicking on an empty space would move the appropriate card there, rather than having to find the specific card itself?
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 11:52 am:   

I confess I was unaware of the middle mouse button undo, and (alas) when I tried it just now it didn't work for me. I'm sure it's because I have the driver set up to send [ALT-Left Arrow], which is "Undo" (the Back button) in the Browser.

And Thomas, please remember this is a Wish List. We'll all continue to play with or without any feature mentioned here. I'm not trying to hijack the development cycle (as if I could).
Diana Wu (Diana)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Diana

Post Number: 198
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 10:19 pm:   

I didn't know about the hot keys as well. But thanks for the heads up!

What about those of us that don't have a middle mouse button? I have one of those mice that, in the middle section, I only have an area that I slide my finger and the page scrolls.

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   

If you have an advanced mouse where you can set the actions on the mouse, look for the middle mouse button action. You can set the mouse wheel to do the middle mouse button action and that should work.

Mike Bailin (Mikeb)

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 11:07 am:   

Many games start with one card dealt to the foundations, to define a random starting point (the Canfield games are a good example).

In a very few of those games (and sorry I can't pick out examples at the moment -- Letter H is one, though, also Double or Quits), that counts as a score. And if you immediately exit without any moves, it still counts as a low-score game.

I realize it would be a brutal task to pick out the "offenders" -- but it would be nice to have all games consistently not include a game in the stats if exited before any moves.
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 3:30 pm:   

Just thought of another one, after playing a while before coming online.

In the "main" stats window (i.e., accessed from the main menu), if you clear one game's history then it would be nice to automatically (or via a button) refresh all displayed stats without having to close that window and then re-open it.
cards
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 213.105.224.18
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   

A useful addition would be the use of the space bar to turn over the cards as used in other solitaire games.

(Message approved by admin)
Amelia Henchey (Amywoody)
Junior Solitaire Player
Username: Amywoody

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   

I really like the "Climb" mode of play in Pretty Good MahJongg. That would be a very attractive feature to add to Pretty Good Solitaire.
Pauline Mueller (Likeskillgames6)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Likeskillgames6

Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   

I like frecell games. I hope the new solitaire
program has more of these games.

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   

Amelia,
Climb mode will be a part of the new Pretty Good Solitaire. It will be built in just as it is in Pretty Good MahJongg.

rsky1us
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 66.82.9.47
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 8:27 pm:   

Some games seem to make the stock/waste piles go to the first card if you click in a certain area (and I can't seem to figure out which area to avoid). Is this a bug? or just me?

Albert Hovenkamp
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 217.149.210.9
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 9:47 am:   

Please give the time as a 24 hour number (0:00 - 23:59 or ad am or pm.
I would lie a LINUX version too, but I think that's asking to much !
Greetings,
A.Hovenkamp.

George Chahley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 207.81.84.165
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 3:16 pm:   

I also play PYSOL. It has a hint option which might nice in PGS.

Christine Mauro (Chrismauro)
Junior Solitaire Player
Username: Chrismauro

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 3:57 pm:   

My biggest wish is :
(4) A Card-Location-Routine
It will help saving my eyes, when I search for a card, and also my brain, as I sometimes start thinking that PGS forgot to draw it !!! :-);

Otherwise:
For Stats :
- adding the longest winning streak (use to have it on that Mac version of Sea Heaven Towers)

- the king only option creates a different game if it's on or off, as in Sea Towers. Stats cannot be compared. Create 2 games (one with on and with Off) ??

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 8:54 am:   

George,
PGS has a hint function in the Options menu in most games. This function will be improved in the new solitaire engine.

Chistine,
We'll consider a card location routine and longest winning streak.

The KingOnly issue is one that has been a problem for years. Generally we have avoided creating new games with the KingOnly feature, but have kept it in the games it has been in for compatibility with older versions. It makes sense to create two different games for these games, but on the other hand all those older versions are reporting the statistics as just one game. I'm not sure what we are going to do here.
Catherine Schoellkopf (Cschoell)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Cschoell

Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 3:07 pm:   

I always play a "Tour" with my six favorite games. To restart a new "Tour" I have to go thru four clicks to get to a new one. Would be great to have a button to just restart a "Tour". Also, any hope of getting a Mac version - am so desperate to play I lug around an old PC with PGS on it.

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 1:41 pm:   

We'll look at the tour interface for the rewrite.

One of the things the rewrite makes possible is porting to other platforms, such as the Mac.

Rachel Cohen (Rachel)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Rachel

Post Number: 451
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 3:15 am:   

I use the right click a lot, but the Snapshot needs a left click. Sometimes I'm not sure if I clicked correctly (when it's not the first saving). Could there be some indication, at least some blink, that the current position was really saved?
paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Pondpaul

Post Number: 328
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 11:59 am:   

Hello
I agree it would be nice to have the 24 hour clock.
There is a problem as you can muck up your stats by actually starting a new game by mistake so you need to get the message that says do you want to start a new game which is good to stop this
but this would be better not to show up if the game has not got the trigger that it will show as a loss if a new game is started, for instance with British Sollitaire you will probably have to go though a hundred games before you find one that is worth playing and have to select yes each time when the message comes up
Steve Van Volkinburg (Vanvolki)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Vanvolki

Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 8:38 am:   

I was wondering if you could revise your stats section to include more decimal points for the average (maybe even let the user decide how many)? When hundreds or thousands of games have been played, it is impossible to determine how close I am to increasing (or decreasing) my average. Also, could you make the stats data download to an Excel readable file?

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 10:01 am:   

We've been adding more decimal places over the years. When you get up into many thousands of games, though, it takes a lot of games to change anything.
David F. Kroft
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 71.206.108.215
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 7:45 pm:   

I have the "Free Solitaire' verson. have been using it for about 7 months. Now, for some reason, I can't get the 'ad update' to update. it keeps coming up with:
Free Solitaire was unable to connect to the website.

Please verify that you have an active connection to the
Internet
and press the "Try Again" button below to proceed.

Do you use a proxy server for HTTP connections? If so,
press
the "Proxy Configuration" button, provide the appropriate
information, and then "Try Again".

If you have verified an Internet connection and feel the Free
Solitaire server is not responding, please "Cancel" the
update and try when Free Solitaire prompts you again.
I do have a good connection.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration