Saved Games and Losses Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Pretty Good Solitaire Questions » Saved Games and Losses « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Thomas Maynard (Tmaynard)
Junior Solitaire Player
Username: Tmaynard

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 2:59 pm:   

I have an incomplete understanding of Saved Games. I thought if I saved a game (unfinished) I could return to it later to resume and finish it.

I tried this recently, but when I exited the game (after saving it) I was given a loss. This is not tragic: I'm not wacko about winning streaks, but it is contrary to my expectations.

How does saving/opening work?

I don't recall exactly, but I may have saved the game and then made another move or two before exiting. Perhaps this is where I made my mistake?
Rachel Cohen (Rachel)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Rachel

Post Number: 448
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   

I wanted to check this, and got a scary message "Turning Game Saving Off will DESTROY all saved games for this player". So maybe your Game Saving is turned off? I have it turned on automatically, and never give it a second thought.
Rachel Cohen (Rachel)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 449
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   

Options on the main page, first line - Game Saving. There you may have it turned off without the warning.
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Advanced Solitaire Player
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 9:51 am:   

I've got a similar problem on mine, but (so far) Thomas hasn't been able to duplicate it and feels it has something to do with my specific system.

If I save a game and exit, then return and finish it, it shows up in the stats twice -- once at the point where I saved, and again when I do finish it. So even if I win it, the "lost game" still counts.

Obviously this destroys any 100% run I've got going. So I've learned the hard way to grimly stick with a game without saving it, even if it means umpteen restarts and/or leaving it on the computer unattended.

Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 9:54 am:   

Thomas,

The GameSaving feature is automatic (if it is turned on). The game will be automatically saved when you exit and loaded when you go back into that game.

It sounds like you may have saved a game using the "Save As..." command in the Game menu. This is a different way of saving a game than the regular GameSaving feature. If you load a game that you saved this way, it will mark the existing game as a loss and load that game. If you care, you only want to do that when you have given up on the current game as a loss, or if you have just done a new game and haven't played a move yet (games with no moves played are not counted in the statistics).
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 10:35 am:   

Thomas,

As nearly as I can recall the situation, I did this:

(1) Open a game and begin to play
(2) Play several moves before being called away
(3) Click Game/Save As
(3a) ... I may have made another move ...
(4) Exit

When I came back to resume play I noticed that I'd been given a loss. As I mentioned, it's no big deal: I simply loaded the saved game and finished it.

So, does a manual Game/Save As not preserve the "game in play" status? And autosave is the only way to exit without losing?

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 9:29 am:   

Thomas,
The Save As does save the current game, but the issue is when you reload it, whether you have an active game in progress when you reload the other game. If you do, that game will count as a loss.

The best way to handle it is to let the automatic GameSaving save the game for you, then it will just be there when you go back to that game.
Rachel Cohen (Rachel)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 450
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 3:09 pm:   

The automatic GameSaving is so convenient, I don't see any reason not to have this as the default. I never have to think of it at all. When could the "Save As" be useful? to transfer to a different computer?
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Blackie9

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   

To save a game for another players that is very hard also. That is how we post a winning numbers solution.

Ken

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 9:46 am:   

The "Save As..." command is useful for saving special game positions, in order to easily go back to them or to share them with someone else.
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 10:42 am:   

Thomas,

I don't think I've made myself clear. The loss I sustained was in the SAVED game, not some other game.

And, although it doesn't show anything useful or conclusive, I'm attaching a screenshot of the Statistics page showing my zero score and the subsequent win.

If the scenario you envision had taken place, I'd have a loss in a *different* game. But, as I have said, I'm not troubled by it, and (unless it happens again) I won't pester you about it.

application/mswordSaved Game Loss
SaveLoss.doc (39.9 k)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration