New suggestions for the next PGS version Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Pretty Good Solitaire Questions » New suggestions for the next PGS version « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Bastiko Pradhana (Pgs348)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Pgs348

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 7:23 am:   

Kind oof reopening an old topic, but I think it should be done.

As a solitaire player, I love what PGS has to offer. But I think that there are other improvements that could be implemented.

I. New Groups.

Two new groups should be added: Strategy Type and Busy Aces Type.

Strategy: Acquaintance, Amazons, Auld Lang Syne, Calculation, Colours, Double Acquaintance, Lady Betty, Last Chance, Leap Year, Shifting, Sir Tommy, Strategerie, Strategy +, Tam O'Shanter
perhaps Anno Domini, Assembly, Betsy Ross, and others

Busy Aces: Busy Aces, British Square, Courtyard, Deuces, Eights Down, Fortune's Favor, Fours Up, Penta, Preference, Sixes and Sevens, Square, The Spark, Three's Company
perhaps Contradance, Kings and Queens, Kingdom, Republic, Queens and Jacks, and others

II. New Features.

I can never remember what version a game was introduced, so I think there should be some way to tell when the game became a part of PGS. Other players have suggested this and it would be to the benefit of all of us. Many people also have asked for a smarter AutoPlay that doesn't alternate card moves in some games like Yukon; I would have to agree on this one. Also, there should be a way for me to change the background of several games (not all, but a few here and there) to one background. I know that PGS is slowly being transitioned to the new solitaire engine, so perhaps new features can wait.

III. New game suggestions.

Golf now has a four-deck version called Panther Creek; I think Putt-Putt should get the same respect. The same goes for Leap Year (Auld Lang Syne's four-deck) and Acquaintance. Other suggestions include a four-deck Interchange and four-deck Family Plot, as well as single- and triple-deck versions of Family Plot. In addition, the current Double FreeCell looks more like a hasty solution to add another deck, so another version should be created that reflects what it should be: a double-deck extension of FreeCell with eight foundations. Since the Busy Aces family has gone up to 8, it would be great if the family series was finished up to the Kings; there could also be a three- or four-deck version of Busy Aces.

As for one-deck game ideas, the game Lafayette has an interesting foundation building method; perhaps that could be applied to Klondike. There is Fifteen Rush, so why not Fifteen Demons - an addition-type game with a tableau like Canfield? And I haven't seen a one-deck version of Indian Patience, so that's another suggestion, along with an easier version of Little Spider, which seems to be a forgotten game amidst all others.

Does anyone else have any comments?
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 9:43 am:   

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll consider the new groups - also, note that you can create your own groups as well.

Frances Cammisa (Yankeegal)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Yankeegal

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 2:31 pm:   

I had a suggestion for a new game but it hasn't been implemented as yet--however, I am still going to try to get it into the PGS game board--it's called "British Blockade" and it's a great Solitaire--I think it would be a good addition to the list of "Very Hard Bordering On Impossible" games--
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Advanced Solitaire Player
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 10:58 am:   

This one's strictly technical -- but hopefully is in line with what you're looking for.

Could PGS include detection-and-warning if it finds there's already another "instance" of it running when you try to start it? I haven't a clue whether the stats records could properly handle two running at once.

My wife's definitely computer (expecially Windows) non-savvy, and sometimes I'll see two toolbar buttons for PGS, and have to tell her to close one of them.

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 11:33 am:   

Mike,

Running two copies of PGS at once will not cause any problems with the statistics. The game only opens the statistics files briefly to read and write to them, so unless you happen to end games at exactly the same split second (which you really couldn't do), the statistics will operate fine. And even then the file would be locked by Windows, so there can't realistically be a problem.
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 101
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   

This one keeps nagging at me to throw at you, but I never remember it when I'm here.

There are quite a few games where some or all of the foundations must first be built up into complete sequences in the tableau. Could we see the right-click function cover this complete-sequence move to the foundation?
Robin Wedding (Robin)
Solitaire Player
Username: Robin

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   

One thing I'd like to be able to do in Spider (for example), is to find some way of viewing what suit a face up, covered over card is. With some card sets, it's hard to see.

Robin.
Rachel Cohen (Rachel)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Rachel

Post Number: 492
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 8:53 am:   

It would be a simple graphic solution, for instance the Egyptian card set should have the JQK frames 1.5 millimeters higher, so the suit won't be covered. Of course if there's a plan to enable closer stacking, as in MPS, this won't help.
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 133
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   

I just thought of this one, and was surprised to see how long this topic's been dormant. I must have missed a more recent one along the same lines.

Could "Exit" be given two different names, one for leaving a game and another for shutting down PGS? Quite often I'm not "hitting on all cylinders", and find I've exited the program without intending to.

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 11:51 am:   

Mike,

When in a game Exit will always take you to the menu screen.

The only time it completely closes the program is if you started the game from an icon for a specific game. That completely bypasses the menu screen both in starting the game and exiting the game.

Bill King (Crow)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Crow

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   

Games with standard 78 card Tarot deck would be much appreciated.

Currently (with real cards) I play Archer Tarot (@ ArcherTarot's website it is simply Klondike with the Tarot deck) and Wizard's Tower (Spider a la Tarot, google 'Karen's Games' to find rules, originally from June '98 _Games_ Magazine).

Lots of you guys are using tarot deck alterations of your favorite game, the two above I liked because they had been gameplay tuned by other folks already. But no computer AI (real paper decks only).

Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 11:23 am:   

OK, one more I just thought of, relating to those games which have options for rules which affect difficulty. Kings-only is of course the most common option, but there are others.

We've pretty much argued to death the question of online high scores not reflecting the individual's choices of difficulty options, so that it's not quite a "level playing field". I do understand that the scores database can't reasonably be expanded to in effect treat these as separate games, and also that the upcoming new version will have a new feature to partly address this problem.

What about the Help files? The displayed estimated probable percentage of expected wins presumably reflects the default settings, and of course would likely be considerably different if easier options were chosen. Could these be expanded to cover the additional "permutations" permitted by PGS for each such game (assuming, of course, you have or can find historical data for these)?

Ideally it would be nice to make this dynamic, in the sense of showing the expected win-rate given one's current difficulty options. But it would of course it would be much simpler, and (for me) quite acceptable, to simply add a short list of those option-dependent percentages within the Help for any such game, to be able to realistically assess what such options do for game-play.
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 141
Posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 8:33 am:   

Back again ... the upcoming new version is (maybe) too far along in development by now for major changes, but it could be a thought for the future.

This relates to the display of stats -- at home, that is, not necessarily upload-able to the online stats.

I'm specifically thinking of games with unlimited redeals, either as standard (e.g. most Klondike and Canfield games, Lady Cadogan, etc.) or as an option (e.g. Montana).

Would it be possible to add a column to the stats showing the number of redeals taken? It would be nice to look back and see "Wow, I did that one on the first pass!" Perhaps this could also show in the status bar while a game is in progress.

I'm not thinking of making this a competitive thing, for addition to the online stats, just for the player's own info.
Thomas DeMary (Tomd)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Tomd

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 12:43 pm:   

Apparently changing card size also restarts a game. It would be nicer if it just changed the card size.

Also, in fan-type games, the larger the cards, the less a covered card can be seen. Makes it harder to read the cards in a fan. The large card views need less overlap.
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 2854
Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 5:29 am:   

I don't know if this is within your capabilities, but the thing that would please me most is if you could enable PGS to save a game "in running" (without having to do it manually). It does this all the time if you switch it off deliberately, but in the event of a break in power, your work is lost. This fix would have the added bonus of preventing people using this to stop the stats recording losers. Is this doable?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Solitaire Player
Username: Kathyquade

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, January 04, 2010 - 10:54 pm:   

I'd like to see the climb mode introduced. I tried it in the trial version of Goodsol 101 and liked it, but I can't afford right now to subscribe to 101. It would make it more interesting, especially for statistic nuts like me.
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 412
Posted on Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 11:39 am:   

>I'd like to see the climb mode introduced.

Climb mode will eventually be introduced into Pretty Good Solitaire [Windows], but it may take a while.

We are busy making our mistakes... I mean, working out the details, on the other products first. :-)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration