Submitting Online Scores Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Pretty Good Solitaire Questions » Submitting Online Scores « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

James Bray (Jimhunts)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Jimhunts

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   

Error Code: 400
Submission Failed
Above button box pops up when
submitting scores.

Help, anyone?

Thanks, jim
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 295
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 2:20 am:   

>Error Code: 400

This indicates that the scores are not being properly delivered to the high score server. It usually results from a firewall blocking or incorrectly modifying packets intended for 'scores.goodsol.com'.

Is this your first time submitting (from this system) or did it recently stop working?

If this is the first time, then try temporarily disabling your firewall and verifying that the submission works after doing so, then (after enabling the firewall again), figure out how to configure it to allow traffic to 'goodsol.com'.

Otherwise, if submissions were working but recently stopped, try again (in case it was a transient connection issue) and then check for system changes since the last submission, especially firewall changes.

I just submitted high scores from Pretty Good Solitaire without difficulty, so the server appears to be up and working fine. :-)
James Bray (Jimhunts)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 7:07 am:   

Gregg:
I have been submitting scores for years without ever
encountering this error. Disabled Zone Alarm Pro
which did not solve the issue.
I have the 2005 Edition installed and am going to
D/L and install the latest version.

Any other ideas?

Thanks, jim
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 296
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   

>I have been submitting scores for years without ever encountering this error. Disabled Zone Alarm Pro which did not solve the issue.

That makes this failure rather curious. The error code (400) suggests that the outgoing data is corrupted (e.g., data stripped from request), rather than a failure to connect, although it is possible that this error code could be returned by a firewall rather than the Goodsol high score server.

Double-check that Zone Alarm Pro is truly disabled, checking in particular for any "features" that would modify, rather than block, incoming or outgoing data, such as privacy protection or script filtering. (I cannot provide support for Zone Alarm Pro, but you may want to check with Zone Labs support, too.)

>Any other ideas?

Click on the 'Show Online Scores' button from within the statistics dialog of a popular game, say Klondike, and find out if that works.

Then, try clicking (from the browser, obviously) on the following link and see if it shows a page:
http://scores.goodsol.com/

If both of the above fail, then there is a site connection problem of some kind. If the first fails but the second succeeds, then the firewall is probably interfering with network traffic to/from the program itself. In the likely case that both succeed, then something is corrupting or removing the network data being submitted.

The most common source of any of the above problems would be a firewall issue (and I have, more than once, had similar problems with firewalls that I thought were disabled).

Just in case, you might also try changing and/or retyping your name, location, and email address, especially if you have any odd punctuation in there. (Some people pass messages on the high score boards, and it is possible that an unexpected character could be confusing things.)

That's all I really have right now... :-)
James Bray (Jimhunts)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   

Gregg:

As you surmised, both succeeded, with and without
ZAPro turned on. Still getting: Code 400

Also, reentered name, location, and email addy.
Yep, Code 400

Thanks again.
James Bray (Jimhunts)
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   

Gregg:

Firefox is my browser and I opened Tools/Error Console and found this error:
http://www.goodsol.com/sitemap.html
postamble is not defined------Line 252

This does not seem a likely source of my problem,
but what the heck do I know?

jim
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 297
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 8:48 am:   

>As you surmised, both succeeded, with and without ZAPro turned on. Still getting: Code 400
>Also, reentered name, location, and email addy. Yep, Code 400

I can only think of three things to try:

1) If you have another computer system, try installing Pretty Good Solitaire there and see whether you still have the problem.

2) If you have a registered copy of Most Popular Solitaire, try to submit scores from that program and see whether that works (and if not, what the error message is).

3) If you are willing to do it, try uninstalling Zone Alarm Pro completely, rebooting, and then attempting to submit your statistics. (For obvious reasons, this is the last resort, but it may help confirm or resolve the problem.)

Honestly, I cannot think of anything else to try at this point (and I still suspect that the firewall is the source of the problem).

I hope this helps. :-)
James Bray (Jimhunts)
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   

Things to try:

1)Works perfectly on the wife's laptop.
ZAPro turned ON

2) No joy--No MPS

3) Will uninstall ZA later today and get back to
you with the result.

Thanks,
jim

James Bray (Jimhunts)
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:15 am:   

Gregg:

E U R E K A !!!

Grandson had the Microcrap
firewall turned on.

Many thanks,
jim
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 298
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:15 am:   

>E U R E K A !!!

Excellent! :-)

>Grandson had the Microcrap firewall turned on.

I am very glad that you figured this out, as I had run out of ideas. Thanks especially for posting the solution here. In the future, we can remind users to check the built-in Windows firewall as well.
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Annika

Post Number: 109
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   

I have recently been unable to submit a score. I just disabled the firewall, which had not interfered before, but that did not help. I get no error message; the scores for Penguin come up, but my submission of 336 wins, no losses is not there. My previous 300 wins is still there, and I have done another 300, plus 36, since I accidentally clicked the wrong button. what do you think?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 303
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   

>I have recently been unable to submit a score. I just disabled the firewall, which had not interfered before, but that did not help. I get no error message; the scores for Penguin come up, but my submission of 336 wins, no losses is not there. My previous 300 wins is still there, and I have done another 300, plus 36, since I accidentally clicked the wrong button. what do you think?

It looks like your submission was successful, but the web server had not updated that page yet. Now I see that your 336 game score is listed: http://scores.goodsol.com/topscores/scores/pgs/pen guin.html

... unless, of course, "Jerri Taylor" is not you. :-)

The reason, by the way, that the 300 game score is still there is that you used a different player name for those statistics.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:04 am:   

If you submit scores and you don't immediately see them posted, just click on the refresh button on your browser to refresh the page and load the latest copy.
Audrey G Schnell (Paxinc)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Paxinc

Post Number: 210
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 12:58 pm:   

I submit scores and wind up on a Moebius circle; never see them posted. Just endless repetitions of that 'submission' screen. Any cure suggestions?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 368
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 3:25 pm:   

>I submit scores and wind up on a Moebius circle; never see them posted. Just endless repetitions of that 'submission' screen. Any cure suggestions?

Is this in Pretty Good Solitaire (Windows)? (The rest of this message is based on the assumption that it is.)

First, one needs to have played a game 50 times for the statistics to appear, so you need to test a game that you have played quite a bit. Then, if you submit your statistics and do not see your name in the results for that game, try hitting the 'Refresh' button in your browser. (Otherwise, you may be looking at an old cached version of the page.)

To submit the statistics for a particular game, press the 'Submit this game's statistics online' button from the victory or statistics dialog box. This shows the 'Submit Statistics to the Web' dialog box. Fill out the information (required) and click on the 'Submit Statistics' button. This submits the statistics and opens the web page to show the new submission. (Again, refresh your browser page if you have played 50 or more games and do not see your name.)

To submit statistics for all games at once, click on the 'Statistics' button on the main toolbar, and then click on the 'Submit to Web...' button. Fill out the three information boxes and click on the 'Submit Statistics' button. This (silently) submits all of the statistics and returns to the previous dialog box, which you can then 'Close'.

To see the list of online game scores, choose 'Internet|Top Scores' from the menu, which will take you to http://scores.goodsol.com, and you get then click to view the scores for any particular game(s).

If you have submitted scores following the above instructions, and you are still having problems, please let me know which game should have your scores and the name you used, and whether there were any error messages (of course :-)), and we can try to help figure out the problem.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration