Are we dinosaurs? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Pretty Good Solitaire Questions » Are we dinosaurs? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 4:05 am:   

I'm sure many players would appreciate an answer to this one. Do you have any idea what agegroup the majority of registered players fall into? I dislike averages as they can sometimes give a false impression.
Are we going the same way as T-Rex & Co, or are younger warriors entering the arena?
Patricia Traynier (Trisha)
Intermediate Solitaire Player
Username: Trisha

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 7:10 am:   

I think maybe quite a lot of registered players are From the more senior age group,probably because they have more free time.
Frances Cammisa (Yankeegal)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Yankeegal

Post Number: 217
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 7:25 am:   

I agree with Patricia--from the "tone" of the posts and the amount of time players spend on the games, I think the majority are "seniors"--but always remember: if you grow old, you don't die young.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 7:50 am:   

Hi Maria, I was just thinking about you this morning and intended to send you an email. My free time is limited just now with my mother being in hospital. This is taking us 70 - 90 minutes every day just in travelling time alone.
Also my PC is acting up atrociously. The mouse has died on me three times today already, and I've lost count of how many times today I've been unable to type and had to reboot. I'll get my new one up nd running as soon as I get the time.
Thanks also to Pat for her response, but I wonder if PGS is too old fashioned for the young uns as there isn't any scope for violence and blood and guts.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 218
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 8:14 am:   

Hi Richard--I am so sorry about your mother--I hope things are not serious.

I'm still here, still playing a lot of the new games--I like them. But I am troubled by the notice that the updates are no longer going to be free--I would miss that terribly--

I think you are probably right about the "young'uns" not getting enough blood and gore in Solitaire games. As for me, even when I was a "young'un" (and I still am!!!!) I didn't care much for blood and gore so this would always have suited me perfectly---

Take care--I will keep your mother and you all in my prayers--
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 119
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 9:49 am:   

I'm now in my early 60's, and in my own case I've found PGS to be a life-saver. I was a former "workaholic" who found himself suddenly disabled-retired at age 50, and while I'd been computer-active for many years prior, now it's pretty much the center of my life.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 219
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   

I don't mind admitting to mid-60s--I've always loved Solitaire games even before PGS, and this is relaxing and fun for me---
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 340
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 1:27 am:   

Richard, I'm 51. Now, 'fess up. How old are you? And I agree with you about PGS being too tame for the younger set. My 14-yr old nephew LOVES video games, and he was over the other day. I showed him PGS and told him it was my favorite video game. He plays it for 30 seconds, and turns around with a total look of puzzlement on his face and says, "Why?"
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 4:39 am:   

Good morning Kenneth, My age, now let's think. My mother is 90, so that would make me 32... or near enough. I'm a cool little number in centigrade, whilst she is oh so hot in farenheit.
Ask your nephew to explain that to you and he'll turn round after 30 seconds and say "What!"
Serves you right for not reading the recent posts........ laddie.
Patricia Traynier (Trisha)
Username: Trisha

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 5:49 am:   

Richard,
Judging by replies to your post it would seem that the majority of players are of the older generation.I myself am 65.But does it really matter that much as the "young"uns will themselves be getting older all the time and perhaps find out for themselves how good solitaire is.
Diana Wu (Diana)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Diana

Post Number: 233
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 6:23 am:   

It really boils down to what you are all refering to "young"uns.

Also, there are some days that I feel like an old 37ish person and then there are some days that I feel like a young 37ish.

I've always loved to play solitaire with cards when I was younger...of course that was when I couldn't find anything to read!
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 341
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 6:23 am:   

Richard, When people here in the colonies talk about ER, they mean Emergency Room. I guess ER in Scotland stands for Enigmatic Richard!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 6:28 am:   

Hi Trisha, I suspect you're right about the age group. Perhaps PGS stands for Pretty Groovy Seniors, or in Ken's case we'd delete the "Pretty". In mine we could substitute "Grumpy" or "Grizzly". And back to Ken once more with Practically Grey Soon.
I hope you're correct re the young 'uns developing a taste for PGS. Perhaps it's a bit like religion or classical music, you grow into it as you mature.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 342
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 8:51 am:   

Richard, I had a dream last night (or was it a nightmare?) that Liz was running for PM and you were her campaign manager. (She was running instead of you because you were too old!)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   

You've got it wrong again Ken, we don't run for anything! Spot the operative word in the following well known phrase, "Pub crawl".
Would it be OK if Liz might ran for First Minister? (That's a loaded political question for you).
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 343
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   

Can't she follow in Margaret Thatcher's footsteps?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   

The post of Prime Minister of Great Britain will probably go the way of the dinosaurs too. (Not that I am making any comparison with Margaret Thatcher and an old lizard). The post of First Minister of Scotland would inevitably evolve into something more important. But what could be more important than Liz's current position?
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 120
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 9:39 am:   

We've wandered off the original topic somehow, but got into an interesting new one.

Here in Canada, I was a little surprised to learn that our allegiance (as in the citizenship oath) is to Liz personally, not to the impersonal Crown. I'll be curious to see what happens to the British side of our cultural heritage here when time finally catches up with her, which can't be too much longer.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 10:29 am:   

Hi Mike, You'll get used to the tangents we veer off on all the time. It's a bit like anarchy. You've certainly taken us off on a beauty yourself. The Liz that Ken was referring to is my long suffering partner, and not that mega rich bird that struts her stuff in London. In my oblique way I was referring to the probability of Scotland regaining her independence, which is becoming more and more likely.
Kjell Petterson (Kjell)
Username: Kjell

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   

I enjoy reading about fellow dinosaurs, but I find you all so young. I am 76 and have played PGS longer than most people on the planet. At www.kjell2.com/brainex.html you can see testimonials from a great PGS fan. I play several games every day, which adds up to from 5000 to 7300 for my top four favorites: Penguin, Cleopatra, Repair, and Virginia Reel.
I try to spread the word about PGS whenever I get a chance!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 221
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   

Hello Kjell--that is wonderful! I try to play every day--I like Crescent, 13 Packs, Diavolo(which I have never won)--any of the really challenging games--

One thing I want to do someday is go through the whole list of games and play each one till I win it--that will take up a lot of time and keep me out of mischief--LOL! The operative word, of course, is "time"--of which I have very little free right now with Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up--but I'll get there---
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   

Hi Kjell, I think that this establishes you as the matriarch. Congratulations. Unless someone else trumps it, one of the Mikes would be the oldest male. We certainly get a good variety of old bull here.

"Light blue touch paper, and stand well back",
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 348
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   

Maria, I'm sure these #'s have been posted before, but just in case, I've won Diavolo three times: #53, #100463, and #1697606399.
Good luck, Ken
Kjell Petterson (Kjell)
Advanced Solitaire Player
Username: Kjell

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   

Well, Richard, 'Kjell' is actually the name of an old male Swede, living in North Carolina since 1971, so 'martriarch' may not be quite accurate...
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 3:10 am:   

What can I say Kjell? Ignorance is bliss. I do apologise. Please excuse my "youthful" exubenance.
My mouth can easily accomodate my foot, sometimes both.
So which one of you ladies wants to be the matriarch? This is a very important role, but it's important to note that we're not talking about elephants in this instance, so size doesn't count.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 222
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 4:19 am:   

Thank you, Ken--I will try all three of them. This game seems to be in the realm of "13 Packs"--nearly impossible to win.
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 123
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 11:31 am:   

Hey Richard,

"This is a very important role, but it's important to note that we're not talking about elephants in this instance, so size doesn't count."

I'm also active over at the Wilders Security forums (fora?), and as you might know, most boards permit the operators to select their own names for the number-of-posts "ranking" of members.

Over there, the two highest non-admin rankings are "Incredibly Massive Poster" and "Massive Poster". I don't know whose brilliant idea that was, but it conjures up obvious images. <grin>
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   

Hi Mike, I'm bad enough already without you puting ideas into my head. If I was attempting a P.G.S. put-down of myself I think "Positively Garrulous Scotsman" would be a good choice.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration