Turning the Corner Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Pretty Good Solitaire Questions » Turning the Corner « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Colin Arthur Street (Colin_street)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Colin_street

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 5:41 am:   

I'm a newby here who has played Yukon in two versions other than PGS - one programmed by an acquaintance who knows it by another name, the other in a suite for Pocket PCs. Both the other versions allow "turning the corner" i.e. moving a King together with rest of column onto an Ace in the tableau. PGS does not allow such a move, which is in accordance with the rules in The Penguin Handbook of Patience (Arlett). So although I would see PGS as correct, I wonder whether there is a place for a switch, which could be applied to many games, to allow turning the corner (TC). Personally I find Yukon with TC on a slightly more interesting game than that without, though otherwise the PGS implementation is better.

The same question could be applied to the ability to move cards from the foundation piles into the tableau, provided the move is otherwise legal of course.

Of course switches like these would foul up the stats as we would not know whether the switches had been applied. Obviously having either or both switches on improves the chance of success. But I'm somewhat sceptical about many of the entries in stats anyway.....
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   

That rules change would make it a different game. There are some games that have variations with rules like that, but Yukon isn't one of them.

A variation like that could be made. Although I have to say that, in general, Yukon needs to be made harder (ie. Russian Solitaire) rather than easier. And if you want to make it easier, Alaska is a neater way to do it.
Colin Street (Colin_street)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Colin_street

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 3:27 am:   

Thanks, Thomas. Re making Yukon harder: I sometimes play (on pocket PC) in "pre-computer" mode allowing only one undo, no snapshots, which reduces the success rate to around 27%. In general I enjoy games with odds against but not overly so, at least for now. Good that PGS has a number of those.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration