Gaps vs. Montana Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Pretty Good Solitaire Questions » Gaps vs. Montana « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Thomas DeMary (Tomd)
Junior Solitaire Player
Username: Tomd

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, July 13, 2009 - 11:37 am:   

Observation: The rules files in PGS do not describe the difference between these two games, which is simply where the gaps occur after a redeal. Not a big deal.

Further observation: David Parlett, in his Penguin Book of Patience, has "Gaps" as an alternate name for "Spaces." In his second Solitaire book, "Spaces" has become an alternate title for "Gaps." This is convenient because Parlett's game is the same game as "Gaps" in Morehead & Mott-Smith's book.

Unfortunately, PGS's "Gaps" is not the same game described as "Gaps" in Parlett and Mott-Smith. It is PGS's "Montana" that has the same rules as the "Gaps" of Parlett and Morehead & Mott-Smith. Thus, it seems like PGS has interchanged the names of "Gaps" and "Montana."
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Annika

Post Number: 137
Posted on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 8:26 am:   

In Action Sol, the two are reversed. In AS, I love Gaps, and never play Montana. In PGS, the game names are swapped. I never play either in PGS, though, since PGS has other games I love to play, such as Carol, How They Run and Penguin.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration