This MSI installer must... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Pretty Good Solitaire Questions » This MSI installer must... « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Alicja Winciorek (Bridgequeen)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Bridgequeen

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 3:24 pm:   

I recently downloaded Pretty Good Solitaire, purchased my lisence, installed the game, registered it and all was fine.
Yesterday, when trying to execute the game, right after the splashscreen disapeared, Windows tryes to start some MS-installer, fails and a notification-box comes up claiming ' This installer must be launched through setup' and only an OK-button to click. When I click that button, nothing else happens that that same notificationbox popping up again. There is no way to get rid of that box except though the Taskmanager. The program is self, i.e. Pretty Good Solitaire fails to load. I have tryed to uninstall the program, download a fresh copy from www.goodsol.com, installing it and still the same problem.
What is up with that? What am I supposed to do to make it work again?

With reg, BridgeQueen
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 573
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 10:48 am:   

I've never heard of that particular message before, but this sounds like the sort of thing that happens when you try to play the game under a different Windows user login that the Windows user that installed the game.

The game must be installed under each user login that will play it (because of Microsoft's weird file permission rules). If you install under the same login, it should clear that problem up.
Alicja Winciorek (Bridgequeen)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Bridgequeen

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 2:54 pm:   

Well, the game is infact installed under my current login, so there shouldn't be any problems with that. I checked the programlog in the Eventviewer and it logged this message when goodsol.exe failed to start.

Application Failure goodsol.exe 9.2.0.0 in msvbvm60.dll
6.0.89.64 at offset 00068278..

This message is a bit over my head, but I hope it will give You some idea of what the problem is.

The MSI Windows tries to execute is MSRedist

With reg, BridgeQueen

Post Number: 575
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 1:37 pm:   

Reinstalling from the full installation setup file is usually the solution for problems like this. Something is clearly wrong with the setup on your computer.
Steve
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 1:45 am:   

This is happening with me aswell with 2 programs
julie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 5:35 pm:   

I cannot play Pretty Good Solitaire unless I disable Norton Anti-Virus. Anyone have same problem or solution.

Post Number: 689
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 7:43 pm:   

Unfortunately, Norton is notorious (or is that Nortonious) for causing problems. I run Norton on my main machine with no problems, but I know that it can cause lots of problems with all sorts of other programs. Unfortunately, I know of no solution except to perhaps use McAfee or some other virus scanner.
Frances Cammisa (Yankeegal)
Solitaire Player
Username: Yankeegal

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 5:03 am:   

Julie, I got rid of Norton completely. It caused my whole computer to crash. I had to have the entire hard drive overhauled and at the suggestion of the tech who helped us, I installed AVG anti-virus protection. It's free and very satisfactory, so far. Just go to www.avg.com and follow the instructions.
Rachel Cohen (Rachel)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Rachel

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 10:24 am:   

About which Norton are you writing? I have just at the moment the Norton 2004 disk on my desk waiting to install, my 2003 will be finished in two weeks.
julie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 1:25 pm:   

The one I have Norton Anti-Virus (OEM)5.01.04 never gave me trouble, until recently when I tried to play Pretty Good Solitaire and couldn't.The only way I can play it is to disable Norton. But don't let that stop you from using your Norton if it never gave you trouble.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration