Goodsol Forum » Pretty Good Solitaire Questions » Ok- Help... « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

James Bond (Rickenbacker)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Rickenbacker

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 8:59 pm:   

I found this board randomly because I was looking for quick answers to some solitaire (Klondike) questions. I'm a webtv user & I don't play this online version here. Just real actual cards. I would've posted on another forum, but the others don't seem to see much daily action. So here I am.

Anyway, I'm a semi-novice at the game. I need someone to walk me through the rules like I was 6. Tell me where I go wrong:

-Set 7 rows of cards up in classic formation.
-take 3 cards from stock pile & the 3rd card is the one usable.
-put un-used cards in waste pile
-continue 3-card rotation / when cards run out, turn waste pile back upside-down & begin process again.

But what happens if you use a card from the stock & it was the card on count, let's say 2. Do you have to then start the count again from one or where you left off at 2? Also, what happens if you're down to 2 cards in the stock?
Thanks! :-)
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 10:56 am:   

>But what happens if you use a card from the stock & it was the card on count, let's say 2. Do you have to then start the count again from one or where you left off at 2?

You are not supposed to use it. Generally, when dealing with a physical deck of cards, I lift the top three cards from the stock, still face down, and turn them up together. The only way you can get to the second card is to first play the third card (got that? :-)) to tableau or foundation.

Not all Klondike versions require turning over 3 cards at a time; some (including the main Klondike game in Pretty Good Solitaire) deal a single card from the stock each time, which is a much easier game, given unlimited redeals.

Personally, I play the game dealing 3 cards from the stock, but if I get stuck, then I switch to dealing one card at a time. Such is the flexibility of playing away from the computer. :-)

>Also, what happens if you're down to 2 cards in the stock?

Many implementations of the rules would have you deal both cards together, and only the second one is available. Others (and the way I deal) turn over the waste and put extra cards (0, 1, or 2) on top creating a virtual continuous stock, which would ultimately alternate between the two final cards.

Personally, I use house rules: Once I am down to three cards or fewer, I simply spread them out on the table for use at any time. (Usually, the win is academic once I get to that point, anyway.)

In my opinion, you should play by whichever rules make the game most enjoyable for you.
James Bond (Rickenbacker)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Rickenbacker

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 7:59 pm:   

Thanks Gregg

One part I was still a little lost on though- if I tried it your way as you described above & pulled 3 off the stack, am I able to just freely use any of the 3 or only the one on top?
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 8:38 am:   

>One part I was still a little lost on though- if I tried it your way as you described above & pulled 3 off the stack, am I able to just freely use any of the 3 or only the one on top?

The rules allow you to use only the one on top. In fact, by picking them up (and squaring them) while they are still face down, I do not even know which cards are underneath. (Some people allow them to be seen; I don't. :-))

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration