Wall games - always winnable? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Pretty Good MahJongg Questions » Wall games - always winnable? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Zotmeister
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 10:54 pm:   

I assume they are - I figure it wouldn't be too difficult to construct the walls in such a way that they always are - but I can't help but notice that I seem to be the only one actually trying to solve each one in Climb Mode, where most others are apparently clicking through at top speed, come what may. Have I just been lucky as it were with the first hundred Easy Walls, or are others missing the point? - ZM
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 151
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 10:37 am:   

>I assume they are - I figure it wouldn't be too difficult to construct the walls in such a way that they always are - but I can't help but notice that I seem to be the only one actually trying to solve each one in Climb Mode, where most others are apparently clicking through at top speed, come what may.

You are correct that it would probably not be too hard to guarantee winnability for Wall games, but your assumption is incorrect insofaras the game does not do this. It does make certain that there are at least two blocks of any color (and in Wall Pairs, that there are even numbers of each color).

I am trying to win each game I play of Wall Pairs, Easy Wall, and Great Wall, too, but I have not had time to play much recently. :-(

>Have I just been lucky as it were with the first hundred Easy Walls, or are others missing the point?

This is all skill. You are the only proof that we have that the first 100 games of Easy Wall are winnable. Thank you for that. :-)
Zotmeister
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 2:46 pm:   

I meant "lucky" as in "fortunate that they were solvable to begin with", which apparently I was; beyond that, it's all skill, I agree. (83 was a bloody nuisance.)

For the record, I detest the sudden-death rule for the Wall games (disabling Undo if a singleton is left with no moves remaining). That's not very encouraging towards trying to actually solve all of them, especially in Climb Mode. - ZM
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 155
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 12:06 pm:   

>For the record, I detest the sudden-death rule for the Wall games (disabling Undo if a singleton is left with no moves remaining).

You are not the only person to express that opinion, so we will seriously consider changing this behavior in a future version.
Zotmeister
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 204.17.126.30
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 3:43 pm:   

I think the jig is up - I believe Easy Wall #262 is impossible to solve. That bottom-right corner seems completely unassailable. The best I've found so far leaves three tiles remaining, one of each color. - ZM

(Message approved by admin)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 237
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 2:58 pm:   

>I think the jig is up - I believe Easy Wall #262 is impossible to solve.

I believe that you are correct. I am not able to figure out a way to win Easy Wall #262, although I have not exhausted all possibilities.

Perhaps I need to write a solver just to confirm your discovery (and identify the others). :-)
maureen howieson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 82.41.169.87
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 8:48 am:   

I have solved 262 in easy wall but am now having trouble with 268. I have tried for days with no luck (yet)

Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 238
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   

>I have solved 262 in easy wall

Really? How did you manage to resolve the bottom right corner? Spill! :-)
maureen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 3:33 am:   

I honestly can't remember I played for two days to get passed it but I will go back and try to figure it out and will spill all.

maureen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   

game(262 easy wall) work left to right, 1-6 down and 1-8 across, 3d 7a (5circles), 2d 2a (5circles),2d 4a (5cirlces),2d 5a (3lines), 6d 4a (6cicle),4d 2a (6circle), 5d 4a (5circle), 6d 3a (3line), plain sailing after that. I am using the normal set of tiles, hence circle and lines. I hope you can understand what I have put, if not I will keep a copy. Hope this is of help to everyone.

Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 241
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   

>Hope this is of help to everyone.

It certainly helped me. I was able to confirm that Easy Wall #262 is winnable.

I am still working on #268. I can get it down to only one, but the top left tile (yellow - East Wind) is giving me problems. :-)
maureen howieson (Maureen)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Maureen

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 8:24 am:   

Re 268 easy wall. I have not found a solution to this one. I have tried for days. I also can get down to the one yellow, which is very frustrating. I will not give up and maybe there is someone out there that can solve it. I hope.
Adam R. Wood (Zotmeister)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Zotmeister

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 10:04 am:   

Wow - I'd been away for awhile, apparently too long. Excellent work on 262 - I'd never tried removing the five reds first. Shame on me. I'm at 268 now myself; I haven't spent much time on it, but I agree that the upper-left-corner tile is the lynchpin (just like the upper-right-corner tile is the lynchpin on 262). - ZM
maureen howieson (Maureen)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Maureen

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 6:20 am:   

Thank you Zotmeister. I am still no nearer getting passed 268. I think this one is impossible - but I will persevere.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration