Multiple high score entries? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Pretty Good MahJongg Questions » Multiple high score entries? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Chas. Thurman
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 72.160.220.18
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 10:40 pm:   

I submitted a high score in Mahjongg Montana. If I clear my entry and start another name there will my entry stay on the high score list?

Also, what is the 'climb' mode and how do I get scores on the list? I clicked it but the scores showed on the regular Montana list.

Chas.

(Message approved by admin)
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 9:37 am:   

Yes, once a score is submitted to the list it will remain even if you clear statistics on your computer.

Climb mode is a method of playing starting with game #1 and working up. To go into Climb mode, click on the climb mode button on the main screen and then go into a game.
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 1039
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 6:36 am:   

What a curious way the scores are being recorded in PGM stats. Surely the columns should be arranged with Percentage being the first criteria, followed by Games Won, followed by Average Score. I also noticed someone who had his name listed about a dozen times in the same list. It's my partner Liz who plays PGM, but me who's getting the earache. Have pity on a poor old man.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   

Yes, I'm aware there are some multiple entries on the MahJongg scores list. Sometime I will be deleting the extras, but it will be a very time consuming process and I haven't gotten to it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   

Thanks Thomas, that will get her off my back.
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 294
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   

>What a curious way the scores are being recorded in PGM stats. Surely the columns should be arranged with Percentage being the first criteria, followed by Games Won, followed by Average Score.

In "normal" mode, the scores are sorted by the number of games won, and then (I think) by victory percentage. This makes sense from the perspective that somebody who has won thousands of games (but not all) should not be ranked below somebody who has a 100% record for a single game.

In climb mode, the online sort order is total number of points, followed by average time. Climb mode was designed specifically to allow players to compete on an equal basis, but still allow enjoyment and accomplishment for both players who try to win every deal and those who just like to move on if they fail to win on the first try.

Or were you talking about the order (left to right) in which the columns are listed? :-)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1056
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   

Hi Geoff,
There's no perfect way to sort the games, but I agree with Liz that someone with 2000 wins with a win percentage of 25% should not be above another player with 1500 wins at 100%. Doesn't bother me unduly as I don't play PGM very often and don't post PGS scores any more either. I'll pass it on though.
Adam R. Wood (Zotmeister)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Zotmeister

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, January 11, 2010 - 1:43 pm:   

I recommend adding a column for a simple "skill rating": wins times win percentage. This would give the former 500 and the latter 1500, which sounds about right. (Since the percentages go out to tenths on the scoreboard, the rating could be multiplied by 1000 to eliminate any decimals.) I would also recommend making the scoreboards sortable by any column the viewer wishes. - ZM
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3698
Posted on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 10:29 am:   

As far as I'm concerned Adam has forwarded a very sound proposition. The cream should always be at the top of the bottle.
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 414
Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 10:41 am:   

>I recommend adding a column for a simple "skill rating": wins times win percentage. This would give the former 500 and the latter 1500, which sounds about right.

That is an interesting idea; we will certainly consider it. Note that we have a slightly different idea in the pipeline already, so we will probably see how that works out first.

>I would also recommend making the scoreboards sortable by any column the viewer wishes.

I looked into that a while ago and discovered that this idea is incompatible with the current methods used for generating the high score pages. In order to implement this, we would need to make significant server changes, but we definitely have this in mind already. (The current system was designed to carefully handle server load, which is a consideration here.)

Thanks for the suggestions. :-)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration