Game lockup since installing version ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Pretty Good MahJongg Questions » Game lockup since installing version 1.11 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

cithra
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 1:10 am:   

Ever since I installed the upgraded version 1.11, the game locks up a few clicks into a game (any layout). The rest of the system seems fine, but PGMJ won't respond at all. To close the program I have to do an "end task" from the Task Manager (I have Win98), at which point it tells me the program is not responding (and would I like to wait or end the task now). Once it has locked up and I've cancelled it from the Task Manager, I can open the program again but it remains locked - so far rebooting the computer is required before it will unlock for even long enough to start a layout. The prior version worked like a dream - if I wasn't curious about trying my hand with the layout editor (which I haven't had a chance to yet) I'd just uninstall the upgrade and reinstall the old executable. Any hints?
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 3:10 am:   

>Ever since I installed the upgraded version 1.11, the game locks up a few clicks into a game (any layout).

Could you give us a little more information about what you are doing and what appears when the problem occurs?

Also, these questions may help us narrow in on the issue:
- Does this problem occur only in tile matching, or does it ever happen in the solitaire games?
- Did you change your system at all (such as installing new hardware or software)?
- Was this an upgrade from version 1.00 and did you uninstall the previous version before installing?
- Do you have other software (such as a virus scanner) running at the same time?
- How long have you waited to see if PGMJ begins to respond again?
- Have you entered your registration information, or is this happening in evaluation mode?
- Does the problem go away if you disable sounds, automatic game saving, and animation?

If you cannot find a setting that causes the problem to go away, you should probably try uninstalling version 1.11 and reinstalling the older one to confirm that the problem is not with your system. If the older one works fine (for a lengthy test), then I would suggest uninstalling that one and downloading a fresh copy of PGMJ 1.11 (just in case) and try reinstalling that.

Honestly, although we added several new features, including the Layout Editor and more tile layouts, the tile matching game itself is largely unmodified from PGMJ 1.0, and I cannot think of any changes that could cause this problem. Hopefully, a few more clues will allow us to duplicate the issue here and then resolve it.

Thanks.
cithra
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 8:15 am:   

Could you give us a little more information about what you are doing and what appears when the problem occurs?

I'll do my best, but part of my difficulty is that no one specific action seems to trigger the problem. Usually I'll click on a tile and it won't select, so I'll click again on the same tile, thinking I hadn't quite moved the mouse pointer entirely the border of the tile, but nothing will happen - no response, no pop-up box, there simply won't be any result of my clicking on the tile I had chosen, or any other. If I move the pointer up into the menu bar, nothing registers (i.e. there is no 'highlighting' of the menu selection the mouse pointer is over) and again, clicking the menu bar has no effect. Nor does clicking the min, max or 'x'(close) buttons in the upper right. The program just stops responding. If I shift focus away from PGMJ to another program (via alt+tab or by mouse-click) and then shift back, the screen doesn't redraw - I get the title bar and a blank screen in the area where the game tiles would normally post. When I open the Task Manager, PGMJ is listed with [Not Responding] after its entry. I never receive an error message or dialog box, the program just stops responding.

- Does this problem occur only in tile matching, or does it ever happen in the solitaire games?
I've only experienced it in tile-matching, since I don't play the solitare games that often. I've gotten it mostly in the Standard layout, but that's because that's the layout I usually play. I've also gotten it in Stadium, where it froze after I had selected one tile but before I clicked its mate.
- Did you change your system at all (such as installing new hardware or software)?
Installing PGMJ 1.11 was the only change I've made.
- Was this an upgrade from version 1.00 and did you uninstall the previous version before installing?
It was an upgrade, and I did not uninstall the previous version; I installed the new version over the top of the old one.
- Do you have other software (such as a virus scanner) running at the same time?
I have Norton Anti-Virus 2002 and Zone Alarm running on my machine, as well as Google Compute in the background. I often have a couple of other things open as well, such as a Live Journal client or MS Outlook. The type or number of other applications doesn't seem to affect the problem, though. Also I have a DSL connection - and I would occasionally notice a slowdown with the old version when the machine was polling something or downloading email. I do only have a wimpy 96 megs of RAM, maybe it's a memory management issue - but like I say, it doesn't seem to matter whether I have nothing else (besides the background three mentioned above) running or not.
- How long have you waited to see if PGMJ begins to respond again? Good question. Impatient me, probably no longer than a minute or two. Since the graphics are blanked when I switch back to PGMJ after switching away, I've always figured the process was toast at that point and killed it with the Task Manager.
- Have you entered your registration information, or is this happening in evaluation mode?
I didn't enter any new registration information or re-enter my old (I thought I might have to based on the install instructions). The first time I ran PGMJ after installing 1.11 it showed my registration information from the prior version on the splash screen.
- Does the problem go away if you disable sounds, automatic game saving, and animation?
I always have the sound disabled. Auto-saving and animation were on; I have turned them off now but haven't had a chance to play any games yet to see if that solves the problem.

Thanks for your help - I'll try the game with the new settings (disabled sounds, automatic game saving and animation) and report back if the problem persists.
Enid Wagstrom (Beanie1953)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Beanie1953

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 9:37 am:   

I just installed the 1.11 and it works like a dream; it seems to have eliminated duplicate losses in the statistics. I have Windows XP which I upgraded to from Windows 98. I'm a computer tech by trade; my opinion is that Windows 98 is the worst operating system MS has come up with. I had all sorts of problems with 98, especially locking up. You might want to consider an OS upgrade.
Brita von Bartenwerffer (Brita)
Solitaire Player
Username: Brita

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 12:15 pm:   

I installed 1.11 a while back and it runs perfectly. I also use Win98 so the problem cithra has cannot be related to using Win98. And I have switched on about all extras like sound, game saving, animation etc.
cithra
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 12:00 am:   

Turning off the animation, etc. seems to have done the trick (knocking on cellulose) and makes no appreciable difference in the games I regularly play, so I'm happy for the nonce.
PATRICE DANIEL
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 1:59 pm:   

TO WHOM IT MAY BE CONCERN:
MY NAME PATRICE DANIEL IN ATLANTA,GA I BOUGHT PRETTY GOOD MAH JONGG OFF THE INTERNET IT IS GOING CRAZY ON ME. I REINSTALLED THE GAME BACK ON THE COMPUTER I CAN NOT PLAY NIETHER ONE OF THE GAMES. WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP ME TO PLAY MY GAME AGAIN?

THANKX

PATRICE DANIEL,IN ATLANTA,GA

P.S. E-MAIL ME AT UNDERFOURELEVEN@YAHOO.COM
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 6:47 am:   

>I BOUGHT PRETTY GOOD MAH JONGG OFF THE INTERNET IT IS GOING CRAZY ON ME. I REINSTALLED THE GAME BACK ON THE COMPUTER I CAN NOT PLAY NIETHER ONE OF THE GAMES. WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP ME TO PLAY MY GAME AGAIN?

In order to figure out your problem, we are going to need a more specific description of what is happening. Unfortunately, we cannot diagnose with just "GOING CRAZY". :-)

A few questions that may help:
- Does the game start correctly and show the menu?
- What happens when you double-click a game icon?
- Do you get any error messages or notification dialog boxes?
- Did you remember to enter your registration key when you reinstalled?

Once you give us more details, we can try to find a solution.
Vitor Goh
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 8:00 am:   

After install the game my compute having screen unalbe to read . when i try to delete the game i become lock . When i try to uninstall it. the game show to install and uninstall again. But after doing so i notice there is still some file of the game still remain inside my compute . i try to send the item to recycle bin, when i try to empty it showing like unable to find the things to empty , but the things still inside the recycle bin . you can hear the sound of cleaning when try to delete again . But it still there! I been using Window me
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 120
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 3:39 pm:   

>After install the game my compute having screen unalbe to read . when i try to delete the game i become lock . When i try to uninstall it. the game show to install and uninstall again. But after doing so i notice there is still some file of the game still remain inside my compute . i try to send the item to recycle bin, when i try to empty it showing like unable to find the things to empty , but the things still inside the recycle bin . you can hear the sound of cleaning when try to delete again . But it still there! I been using Window me

This sounds like a problem unrelated to PGMJ. If items in the recycle bin are not being emptied properly, that is an issue with the operating system. (Our game does nothing whatsoever with the recycle bin.)

What exactly did you try to delete that is not being removed from the recycle bin?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration