Feature requests Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Pretty Good MahJongg Questions » Feature requests « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2003 - 11:41 pm:   

This is not a post to make a feature request, but rather to inquire what you Pretty Good MahJongg players may like to see in a future version.

If you have had any idea for an improvement to PGMJ, or perhaps a minor annoyance that you occasionally experience while playing, this is an excellent time (and place) to mention it.

While I feel that Pretty Good MahJongg is the best MahJongg tile game available (save maybe playing traditional MahJongg "over the table"), there is always room for improvement.

Obviously, there are no guarantees that any idea will be used (and we have a pretty good list already), but I can guarantee that any idea presented here will, at the very least, get due consideration.

If the game is already perfect, or you are just having too much fun playing the game to contemplate improvements, you are welcome to post that here, too. :-)
Diana Wu (Diana)
Solitaire Player
Username: Diana

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 9:24 am:   

Hi there,

Great game. Definately the best around.

I was wondering if you you could add tips at the bottom like what you have at PGS when you hover the cursor over different points on the playing field. It's a great reminder or what you have to do.

You have to add a posting system for scoring, right?

Of course, you are planning to translate more card solitaire games into MahJonng tiles.

Would you consider adding the levels of difficulty in the rules.

Please add (either a web page or in the game itself) detailed instructions on how to play the pyramid building games.

Make the "dragon" tiles have to match with a "suit".

Stronger warnings as to the addictiveness of the game (hehe).

Cheers,
Diana
Diana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 9:29 am:   

One more thing,

Like PGS you can more the cards back and forth from the founation to the play area. Can you add this to PGMJ?

Thanks!
Diana
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 10:04 am:   

>Great game. Definately the best around.

Thank you for the compliment and the excellent suggestions.

>I was wondering if you you could add tips at the bottom like what you have at PGS when you hover the cursor over different points on the playing field. It's a great reminder or what you have to do.

Yes, this is something we are considering.

>You have to add a posting system for scoring, right?

Have to. :-)

>Of course, you are planning to translate more card solitaire games into MahJonng tiles.

Of course. :-)

>Would you consider adding the levels of difficulty in the rules.

Do you mean like PGS, where the rules contain something like, "Medium (80%). Skill/Luck balanced"? That is possible.

>Please add (either a web page or in the game itself) detailed instructions on how to play the pyramid building games.

The rules for the Pyramid games are already fairly long and detailed. Do you mean something like extended hints, or is the help file just not clear enough?

>Make the "dragon" tiles have to match with a "suit".

Although the Dragons are loosely tied with individual suits, they are not actually part of the suit. There is a very real concern that such a rule could make the solitaire games a little less accessible for new players. The most difficult thing for most people not familiar with MahJongg tiles is learning the order of the tiles and the meaning of all the extra pieces. (We created the simple tile set to help players learn the ordering without having to remember the symbols.)

>Stronger warnings as to the addictiveness of the game (hehe).

:-)

>Like PGS you can more the cards back and forth from the founation to the play area. Can you add this to PGMJ?

This is something we have been considering on a game by game basis, so you may see it on some of the foundation building solitaire games.

Thank you. We really appreciate the constructive feedback.
Brita von Bartenwerffer (Brita)
Intermediate Solitaire Player
Username: Brita

Post Number: 28
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 11:50 am:   

Well, there is something I'm missing in PGMJ. I'd love to be able to "create" my own Main Menu, set the colors and so on the way you can in PGS.

And I'd like to have an easy way to edit the Favorites.

Is there any chance to put a list of the tile matching games in the helpfile with a screenshot of each layout? I don't use PGMJ much 'cause I'm addicted to PGS and it would be so much easier to find a particular layout then.

Brita
Brita von Bartenwerffer (Brita)
Username: Brita

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 1:36 pm:   

Just realized there's something else: It would be great if the stats could be accessed from the main menu as well as from the game itself. I know one should be able to see the stats on the main menu if you activate "details" but while it told me that I had played Japanese Rug 13 times it didn't want to tell me that I had won 7 of them before I actually started the game, looked at the stats and left again.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 6:00 pm:   

>Well, there is something I'm missing in PGMJ. I'd love to be able to "create" my own Main Menu, set the colors and so on the way you can in PGS.

We will consider this, although the PGMJ game menu itself is somewhat different from that in PGS.

>And I'd like to have an easy way to edit the Favorites.

This has been added to the list of possible features.

>Is there any chance to put a list of the tile matching games in the helpfile with a screenshot of each layout? I don't use PGMJ much 'cause I'm addicted to PGS and it would be so much easier to find a particular layout then.

We are looking at adding a layout preview, so you would not even need to go to help file, but just click on the layout.

>Just realized there's something else: It would be great if the stats could be accessed from the main menu as well as from the game itself. I know one should be able to see the stats on the main menu if you activate "details" but while it told me that I had played Japanese Rug 13 times it didn't want to tell me that I had won 7 of them before I actually started the game, looked at the stats and left again.

The statistics, as well as the rules, for a game will be accessible from the game menu, as they are in Action Solitaire.

However, the current 'Details' mode should already show you the number of wins, unless you repositioned/resized the headers to hide that 'Wins' column. Try selecting 'Options|View->Reset' from the menu, or right-clicking in the menu and then selecting 'Reset'. This will reset the default columns and sizes; 'Wins' should be the fourth column, right next to 'Games'.

Thanks for the suggestions. :-)

Diana Wu (Diana)
Solitaire Player

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 10:24 pm:   

>Please add (either a web page or in the game itself) detailed instructions on how to play the pyramid building games.

The rules for the Pyramid games are already fairly long and detailed. Do you mean something like extended hints, or is the help file just not clear enough?

More extended hints would be nice. When you get the hang of it, it's fairly easy. It's just getting to that point that makes it hard.

Cheers!
Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 12:59 pm:   

>> to inquire what you Pretty Good MahJongg players
>> may like to see in a future version

1. Tileset Creator/Editor
2. Tileset Creator/Editor
3. Tileset Creator/Editor

;-)

I wanna make a Sarah Michelle Gellar tileset for PGM also....

Vegard Krog Petersen
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 11:04 am:   

> 1. Tileset Creator/Editor

This is already on the list for consideration. However, we have not yet determined if we will make the tool publically available, due to the relative complexity of creating a tileset for PGMJ. There will be a method for creating custom sets, however, even if it requires a little tinkering on our end (as with PGS: http://www.goodsol.com/pgs/cardsetsmake.html).

Your timing is good, though, because that is the section of PGMJ 2 on which I am currently working.

>2. Tileset Creator/Editor
>3. Tileset Creator/Editor

Ditto. :-)
Diana Wu (Diana)

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 10:01 pm:   

Hi all,
I was wondering if you would consider changing the rules for Gaps? Please change the deals to "unlimited" instead of just 2 redeals.

Thanks!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 85
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 1:41 pm:   

>I was wondering if you would consider changing the rules for Gaps? Please change the deals to "unlimited" instead of just 2 redeals.

I doubt that we would change the rules of the existing game, since that would invalidate all of the current statistics. Unlimited redeals in MahJongg Gaps guarantees an easy win without any real challenge, though we may consider adding this as a variant.
Diana Wu (Diana)

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 4:44 pm:   

Gregg,

Ok I understand your reasoning and I agree. Then, would you please consider adding the variant as I love the game Gaps for MahJonng but I find that it takes a long time to play a single game......oh well I guess I just like a easy win for Gaps.

I love to play (whether it's PGS or PGMJ) while I'm watching tv and although I love a challenge, keeping in line with the story and playing at the same time does pose a serious thought now and then! :-)
Diana Wu (Diana)

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 7:08 pm:   

How about a preview of the layout of the Matching Tile games?

It would make it easier to decide which one to play!! hehe----:-)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 1:17 pm:   

>Then, would you please consider adding the variant as I love the game Gaps for MahJonng

Every suggestion made here is added to a list for consideration. We will prioritizing the list of potential new games/features shortly, so your timing is good. :-)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 1:19 pm:   

>How about a preview of the layout of the Matching Tile games?

Too late. :-)

That feature is already completed and being tested internally. It will be in PGMJ 2.
Diana Wu (Diana)

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 3:00 pm:   

Thats great news!

Any hints as to when it's coming out?

P L E A S E !!!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 88
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 6:12 am:   

>Any hints as to when it's coming out?

I am not at liberty to disclose that information. :-)
Caroline Wiggin (Ruffdog1)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Ruffdog1

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 4:06 pm:   

I have some trouble with the depth of the tiles and distinguishing which ones are on "top". Is there a way to vary the depth of the tan color on the bottom of each tile or a way to change the tile color on the bottom?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 10:34 am:   

>I have some trouble with the depth of the tiles and distinguishing which ones are on "top". Is there a way to vary the depth of the tan color on the bottom of each tile or a way to change the tile color on the bottom?

We are currently working to improve the appearance of tile sets, especially for being able to distinquish depth during tile matching.

If I may ask, which tile set(s) do you prefer to use? Personally, I find some are much easier to discern than others, and I would be interested to hear (I mean, read :-)) your impressions.
Andrea Martin (Edsmsab)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Edsmsab

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 2:53 pm:   

Could you add unlimited redeals as a variant to loose klondike too? And possibly do something about getting to the point in the standard game where you have no moves left and it says if you shuffle you lose automatically? Maybe make a wimpy version for "moms with 2 small children" and others who don't have massive amounts of concentration to devote to it? :-)
mark william todd (Mwtodd)
Username: Mwtodd

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 5:10 pm:   

hey moms with two small children; dont be so down beat; with 570 games to choose from look for one you like; for a start IF you are playing PGS try raw prawn or surprise or even fred spider; (we have two too)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 1:38 am:   

>Could you add unlimited redeals as a variant to loose klondike too?

We will certainly consider that. Loose Klondike was, as I recall, the last Klondike variant added. Using the loose foundation building in another variant is a possibility, though there are quite a few games in the Klondike category already.

>And possibly do something about getting to the point in the standard game where you have no moves left and it says if you shuffle you lose automatically?

The message was added deliberately because players were getting confused about this. I am not sure we could add another method of scoring without increasing the potential for confusion, but we will think about having an easier version of tile matching.

In any event, there is nothing wrong with just ignoring the message and playing the way you want to play. :-)
Caroline Wiggin (Ruffdog1)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Ruffdog1

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 5:19 am:   

I have tried most of the sets. I just downloaded the flower set but havent tried it yet. I seem to have the same problem with all of them, but the Chinese set is the best.
Hugh Garner
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 3:31 am:   

I would like for PGMJ to optionally collect info on which game numbers have been won for each type of game and send that info to your website. Then on your website you could have a lookup to see if a specific game has ever been won. This could be a great challenge for players to try to win the games that have not been won yet.

This also could be done with PGS.
Rachel Cohen (Rachel)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Rachel

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 8:19 am:   

Depth of tiles - this is a subject i wrote a lot about at the first Beta. The new flower set is the worst. There has to be a heavy discernible edge on the bottom and on the right side. My first Mahjong, DOS Taipei, was much clearer.
Then you have the method in Kyodai, giving a different tint to each layer,but that would be graphically much more difficult.
Rachel Cohen (Rachel)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 122
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 8:28 am:   

Gregg, I just looked at my last message and your answer in the PGMJ Beta a year ago, about the light yellow color. I played Gaps now after a long time, and I really can't play it with the simple tiles because the yellow is invisible. Maybe it depends on the room lighting.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 3:10 pm:   

>I would like for PGMJ to optionally collect info on which game numbers have been won for each type of game and send that info to your website.

With over 2 billion different deals per game, I am not sure that this is practical (especially with 600 games in PGS). Just to store whether or not each deal has been won would take 256MB (raw data) per game, and then communicating this data introduces a whole new set of issues.

However, we are already considering a design idea which would provide a similar competitive challenge for players (without the overhead of having to deal with that much data). I will provide additional details if/when we decide to implement this.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 3:25 pm:   

>Depth of tiles - this is a subject i wrote a lot about at the first Beta. The new flower set is the worst. There has to be a heavy discernible edge on the bottom and on the right side.

This has been a primary concern of ours, and there will be improvements in the new version.

I am not seeing any problem with the Flower Tiles. There appears (to me) to be a heavy edge on the right and bottom edges. Perhaps you are looking at a smaller size or have your monitor adjusted differently. In any event, I will forward your comment to the artist who created that tile set.

>Then you have the method in Kyodai, giving a different tint to each layer,but that would be graphically much more difficult.

I predict that you will be pleasantly surprised with the new version. :-)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 4:05 pm:   

>Gregg, I just looked at my last message and your answer in the PGMJ Beta a year ago, about the light yellow color.

We will probably darken the yellow a little on the Simple Tiles (along with some other changes).

>I played Gaps now after a long time, and I really can't play it with the simple tiles because the yellow is invisible.

As with my previous reply, I am not seeing the problem here. The only way I can create a situation in which the yellow letters are hard to read is by turning my monitor contrast to zero.

>Maybe it depends on the room lighting.

Are you playing Pretty Good MahJongg on a laptop without a backlit screen, perhaps? In that case, there are angles and lighting situations in which this would be a problem (and there is nothing we could do about that).

If you are playing on a regular CRT, you may want to try adjusting your brightness, contrast, and color settings to see if that helps at all. If it does, this adjustment may help your eyes when using other software as well.

Of course, we will do what we can to improve contrast in the artwork, but we cannot overcome any hardware issues. :-)
Rachel Cohen (Rachel)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 1:30 pm:   

Gregg, I'm using a CRT with very good colors, only de darkest don't separate well. That may be the problem with the PGMJ Flower tiles. About the light yellow gothic letters (in Gaps) - I have yellowish lighting in the room, and it's turned to see great colors in photo websites (that's why I neglected this forum for a while). I also have old eyes, maybe not old for rhe average PGSer, but I'm 10 years older than the baby boomers. I'll load the PGS/JM on our new LCD and check these things, and the scrolling the mouse wheel.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 7:02 pm:   

>I'll load the PGS/JM on our new LCD and check these things, and the scrolling the mouse wheel.

Yes, please let us know the results. I switched to an LCD monitor about a year ago, but I am aware that the display characteristics are much different, so my second monitor is still a CRT.

I look forward to hearing how it works on your new monitor.
J.T. Kiser (Jtkiser1022)
Junior Solitaire Player
Username: Jtkiser1022

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   

An interesting feature in selecting the random function would be to have not only the game change randomly but also the tile set...
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 308
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 9:13 am:   

>An interesting feature in selecting the random function would be to have not only the game change randomly but also the tile set...

Thank you for the suggestion. I have added it to the list of features to be considered for the next version of PGMJ. (No promises, though. :-))

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration