Trying to find an old double-deck sol... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Find a Solitaire Game » Trying to find an old double-deck solitaire « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Patrick O'Keefe (Pokeefe)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Pokeefe

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 1:05 pm:   

I recently moved to a new PC and lost some solitaire games. One of them - a double deck solitaire - I can no longer find. I learned it in college 35 years ago and found it on the web 10-15 years ago so I can guarantee it's been around quite a while. Hopefully it's still available on the web.

It sounds very similar to "13 Stacks" / "Grandma's Game" except for the layout and setup. I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me the name, and even better, point me to a pc version.

13 tableau stacks - named for each card "number": the ace pile, the 2s pile ..., king pile.
1 stock pile.
8 foundations (4 built up sequentially in suit from ace; 4 built down sequentially in suit from king).

The tableau piles and stock pile are arranged in 2 rows: ace-7 in the top row, and 8-king in the second row with the stock between the 10 and jack piles.

Setup: Cards are one-by-one, face up on the tableau stacks, face down on the stock. An additional card is added to the stock whenever"
1) an ace is dealt
2) a dealt card lands on it's own stack (i.e., a 4 lands on the 4's stack)
3) at the end of a row - after a card has been placed on the 7 or king stack.
4) When all cards are dealt the tableau stacks are straightened so that only the top card shows.

Play:
1) A card is taken from the stock.
2) The corresponding tableau pile is picked up. The stock card is added to the bottom (variation: the top) of the tableau pile and it is fanned so all cards may be seen.
3) All visible cards (i.e. all of the picked-up tableau pile and the top card of all other tableau piles) are examined, and appropriate cards are moved to the foundation piles.
4) Play is repeated until the stock is exhausted and no more cards can be moved to the foundation piles or (on very rare occasions!) all cards have been moved to the foundation piles.

Is game still available on the web?

BTW, I'm sorry if this has been discussed before. I can think of no keywords to search for that doesn't also match 700 irrelevant postings.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Kathyquade

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 3:06 pm:   

Patrick, did you try the game "Carol"? If that's not the right one, the only thing I could suggest is look under the game heading of 2-Deck Games and see if you can find it in there. Hopefully, one of our other forum members will see this and know which game you mean. Or you could ask Thomas under Customer Support.
Thomas Warfield (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 4:42 pm:   

There are a number of games in this family, all with various rules differences. The most common in the solitaire books are called "Leoni's Own" and "Weavers", but there aren't many computer implementations of them (since they are rather complicated to do, and generally the complications are unnecessary and don't add much to the game for most of the variations).

Basically Thirteen Packs and Carol are the implementations for this family of games in PGS.
Shawna Willey (Scw9)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Scw9

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 - 9:45 pm:   

Did you ever find the game? I found this discussion when I searched a similar question. Were you able to find a downloadable version?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration