Posted on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 12:51 am:   

solitaire 348145249
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 10:15 am:   

>solitaire 348145249

We now have the game number, but "solitaire" only limits the choices to 600 variants. :-)

If you want a real answer, we will need to know whether you are playing FreeCell, Spider, Klondike, or one of the hundreds of other solitaire games in Pretty Good Solitaire.
linda sanchez
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 24, 2004 - 10:31 pm:   

free cell game #11982. Can it be won?
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, December 24, 2004 - 11:43 pm:   

No
paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Pondpaul

Post Number: 195
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2004 - 3:36 am:   

Hello Linda
11982 is a famous unwinnable game and is the only one in the first 32000 games that cannot be won
for very difficult but winnable games 617 and 1941 are deemed to be among the hardest
Paul
Rik Pierce (Rik_pierce)
Junior Solitaire Player
Username: Rik_pierce

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 11:41 am:   

Hi Paul
Is there some way of saving your moves in playing PGS so that you can send the "solution" to a friend who claims the game is impossible? Seems as though PGS does keep all the moves in a buffer somewhere, so at the end of a successful game there ought to be a way of capturing that info.
Rik
paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Pondpaul

Post Number: 197
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 1:25 pm:   

Hi Rik

There is 2 ways i know and i have done this for quite a lot of the hard games
1 is to wait until you know the game is completely winnable ie when just a few moves left but do not play them . and then undo to the beginning and write down the moves by doing the redo button and then recheck it
2 wait till you get to the last move but do not play it then exit the game
find the file in the solitaire folder using my computer with the formmat as follows
The name of the game underscore user name.pgs for example my user name is paul so for freecell
it would be a file called
Freecell_Paul.pgs
you would need to send this file to your friend as an attachment and they would need to replace it in their computer with their user name
then by running the game it would play until the same position then they can backtrack to see the moves
I much prefer the first option though as the second is more complicated
you may want to test the second way so i have attached the winning game moves except the last three for Idle Aces
hope this helps

application/octet-stream
Idle Aces_paul.pgs (3.8 k)
Rik Pierce (Rik_pierce)
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 2:11 pm:   

Many many thanks for your help here, Paul. I like the concept of the second way (capture it all in the computer) but I also think perhaps the first would be easier in the long run. I will attempt to run your Idle Aces file.

Rik
Rik Pierce (Rik_pierce)
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 3:45 pm:   

Hi Paul

I clicked on your pgs file to download it. I didn't notice the change, but for some reason it saved the file with this title: "Idle_Aces_paul-1315.unk" So I saved it into my PGS folder and changed the paul-1315 to Rik Pierce and ran the Idle Aces game. I had never played this before, so didn't know how it was played. Nothing happened however, so I began playing it. Just clicking on auto play to get the card into action. Then after a while, I quit the game and peeked into the PGS folder where I discovered my newly saved pgs file. Why your was saved as a "unk" file, I have no idea, but once I deleted my Idle Aces file and changed yours to correspond with the way mine looked, it loaded and ran through the game quickly. I could backspace to the beginning and start it off. About 10 moves in, however, you played a six revealing a 7 in the stack. You didn't play that, so I backed up and played it ... this of course cancelled the rest of your saved game! Not that it was important. It does show me that it's a decent way to send people a winning game. Thanks for the help.

Rik
Anonymous
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 1:45 pm:   

Could someone tell me if eight off #240708017 is winnable? I certainly would appreciate it. Thanks.

Hilary

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration