Demons and Thieves Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » Is it winnable? Red&Black and Eight Off » Demons and Thieves « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Ella Prest (Daizy)
Solitaire Player
Username: Daizy

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 12:20 am:   

After winning 1636 games of Demons and Thieves I ran into # 532861057 it seems to be impossible to win it, anyone won it?
Thanks, Ella
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 5:54 am:   

What did you do to win that many games of D&T? I haven't won one yet---
paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Pondpaul

Post Number: 215
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 12:23 pm:   

hello Ella
it is winnable as I have just done it very hard though
you do not get far until the third deal but I managed to clear the 2nd from right pile then with still only 10 cards left you can do a lot of moves
I can write down the moves if you cannot work it out
regards Paul
mark william todd (Mwtodd)
Advanced Solitaire Player
Username: Mwtodd

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 3:40 pm:   

hi paul etal,
what was it about the third deal that opened this game, i have missed something obviously;
paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Pondpaul

Post Number: 216
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 4:24 pm:   

Hi Ella and Mark
I found you can make 22 moves on the first deal and only 2 on the second deal so practically everything happens on the 3rd deal
you have 4 buried Kings and cannot clear any of them until you only have 10 cards left in the stock and 12 in the waste and still all 13 in the reserve so it looks unwinnable
This is first deal
2h to 3c 8c to 9d 9h to 10h 8h to 9h as to 2h ad to foundation 7h to 8c kd to foundation 7h to 8h 6h to 7h ad to foundation 5h to 6h 4h to 5h 2d to foundation kc to foundation 3d to foundation 7c to qc 7d to 8c 6c to 7d 5d to 6c 3h to 4h Kc to foundation
2nd deal
4c to 5d 8c to 9c

3rd deal starts like this
7c to 8c 6c&5d&4c to 7c 3c&2h&as to 4c and you have a space which i put the qd into
you need to make 3 more spaces on the left side to take the ah the 3h and qh from 8th column to release the KS
you are then well on the way to release 2 more kings in the 7th column
note that there are only 10 cards in the stock when the king spades is released and you still have not played any of the 13 cards in the reserve but you should be able to get home from here.
let me know if still stuck
Paul
Ella Prest (Daizy)
Solitaire Player
Username: Daizy

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 10:55 pm:   

Dear Paul, Thank you so much, I won it using your directions, worked like a charm!

Anon,
I had my 4 games (TarantELLA, D&T, Zerline & Towers) I played every morning with my coffee and every night for about 3 years, D&T is fairly easy 96% I like skill games, keeps the old brain in shape. But I'm branching out now, still working on thirteen packs.
Ella
Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 5:44 am:   

Hi Ella--I won 13 packs with Game #189042113--good luck!
I am still working on Demons and Thieves--does anyone have a winning number for that or is it too complicated to just get a winning number and play?
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 103
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 8:29 am:   

Demons and Thieves # 532861057 posted way back in 2005, but I've just found it.
If anyone fancies a real challange, I managed to win this one with an entire redeal to spare. It's an absolute cracker. Will post the solution in a week or so. Anyone going to pick up the gauntlet?
Richard.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 9:13 am:   

Not entirely clear from above, but my challenge is to win in WITHOUT using the final deal.
Richard.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 105
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 3:13 am:   

Anyone struggling with Demons & Thieves should try game #2 which is winnable without using either redeal.
Frances Cammisa (Yankeegal)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Yankeegal

Post Number: 121
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 4:46 am:   

Hi RIchard--Please excuse me for being "dense"--but what os Game #2 and how is it located?

Thx--

Maria
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 6:26 am:   

Hi Maria,
Looks like you're not American. The # symbol is not commonly used this side of the Atlantic.It is an abreviation for "number". Here in the UK we would normally shorten that to No.
Therefore I was referring to game No.2 of Demons & Thieves. Click on Demons & Thieves, followed by "Select". In this case you would just type in 2. then click on the tab underneath that says "Play #2".
(Don't think you're thick).
Richard
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 122
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   

Richard, I am most certainly an American--I just went blank for a moment there---
And I do know that the "#" sign is an abbreviation for "number"--I was an English major!!
Just wondered how that was done--thanks for helping me out--

Thick Mria
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 4:21 pm:   

Hi Maria
English major or not..... you spelled your name wrong. Ha! We all have our dumb moments so it's not a problem. Thought you were this side of the pond given the close time proximity of our posts. It's 22.23 here now. See what time it posts this.
Richard.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 7:18 pm:   

Richard, The other clue that she is an American might be her screen name "Yankeegal". Tpa Ken
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 2:50 am:   

Hi Ken,
Ouch! Some possibilities. 1/. I don't pay any attention to the info on the left. 2/.I'm dyslexic and misread Yankee as Yanktze and thought she was Chinese (Maria is a common Chinese name)Yeah?. 3/. I had a "blonde" moment. 4/. I have an eye disorder that collapses letters into one another, distorts everything and makes it difficult to read anything unless I concentrate hard in that direction.
Only one of these is true. OK maybe two. Damn it, three.
Whatever, don't ever take me too seriously. I don't.
Nice to hear from you. Have fun.
Richrad.(and me).

Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 8:04 am:   

Hi Richard--those are my independent typing fingers--they do what they want--LOL!

It is 7AM here--we don't use military or atomic time in the States--at least, not for every-day time-telling----

My server was down for a while and I couldn't answer your post yesterday--I do apologize for that--
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   

Hi Maria,
We may be genetically related. I've got a set of those fingers too. Well to be strictly accurate..... one one each hand..... unless I'm feeling particularly flash and increase that by a massive 50%.
Guess I must back too many horses. Bookmakers all use military time. Maybe that's why I back an army of losers. Also the time clock on my PC says it's 21.30, and who am I to argue?
Regards,
Richlard.(finger fatigue).
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 5:23 am:   

Hi Richard--maybe we are--genetically related, that is--stranger things have happened in life---hahaha!
I do want to thank you for your help with Alex the Great but I still haven't won it with those numbers you gave--any suggestions?

Have a wonderful day--
Maria
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 10:52 am:   

Hi Maria,
Is it possible that it's not just your fingers that are working independently? Perhaps a few brain cells have got in on the act, as I've not given anyone any numbers for Alexander the Great. Been at the moonshine?
Take two aspirins.
Richard.
(294600897 is my only winner for Alex.)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 126
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 11:49 am:   

Begging your pardon--it was only ONE number you gave for D&T---mea culpa!!!!

You are some sort of a comedian, are you not?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 5:18 pm:   

Hi Maria,
Can't fault you consistancy, until now. An error free message.
How would we manage to play cards without the odd joker? (No matter how odd).
I noticed that Ken posted a solution to Alexander very recently. Download it and see how he went about it.
23.18 now. tempis fugis
Be good(ish),
Richard.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 4:39 am:   

Hi Richard--Ken's post with the winning number isn't on this board--I did see one from you that you said was originally posted in 2005--I'll try that number.

Have a good day over there--
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 5:07 am:   

Maria, Maria, Maria, What are we going to do with you? Ken posted a solution for Alexander The Great on 14th Nov. Click on "search" top right of page,type in "alexander" and you will find all references to that game. You could even narrow the search down by date if you want. Game # 1346995584 would probably throw it up too. Speaking of throwing up, bet you're sick now. Thanks for all the entertainment,
Richard.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 5:20 am:   

Hi Maria,
It's just dawned on me what you may be doing. If you look down to the bottom left of this page you will see some links. Click on "last week" and you will get all the posts for (you've guessed it)the last seven days. "Topics" is also a handy one, particularly if you're looking for a topic. Precisely how much egg do you have on your face now? Just as well you have a sense of humour.
How much do you think I should charge for tuition?
Answer..... Nothing, because that's about all it's worth. Laugh and the world laughs with you, and occasionally, at you. Who cares?
Your pen pal,
Richard.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 128
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 6:51 am:   

Hi Richard--no offense taken, I totally agree that the world will laugh with you particularly when you are laughing at yourself--

You have really been most kind and helpful and I thank you--

Your PGS Pen-Pal,
Maria
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 129
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 6:55 am:   

Dear Richard, I had no idea I was becoming such a "problem child"--but I am glad if I have given you some amusement and entertainment--anything to break the monotony, right?

And no, I am not sick at this point, nor do I intend to become sick--this has been entertaining for me too--

Any more interesting comments/observations?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 6:57 am:   

H Richard--here I am again--I read your post of November 10--when will you list the winning moves for D&T?

Guess Who????
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 8:22 am:   

Hi Maria,
Too many people take themsewlves far too seriously. Glad you're not one of them. It's been good talking to you, and I'm sure one or two newcomers to PGS may have learned how to navigate in this site because of it.
Just for you I will post the solution to the Demons & Thieves game.This is one of my favourite games and I now try to win them all without using the third redeal. 100% record since I tried to do this. Try a few. It's addictive.
Richard.
application/octet-streamA bit of a stinker.
Demons And Thieves_532861057.pgs (12.4 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 119
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 8:40 am:   

Maria,
You asked for any interesting comments or observations. Try this for size.
If you played one game of Demons & Thieves every ten minutes (non stop), it would take you almost 41 thousand years to play them all.
Richard.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 8:46 am:   

Afterthought.......
However, if you cut that down to one game per second, it would only take you about 68 years.
Sounds almost possible now eh?
Richard.
(God I hope I got the maths right. Imagine the stick).
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   

Richard, I am not so sure you are being kind now--are you trying to keep me so busy that I don't post any longer?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 1:03 pm:   

Richard, you could e-mail the game's moves to me if you like--I believe my e-mail address is accessible.

I really do hope some fans of PGS have been helped by our banter--

By the way, have you ever heard of a Solitaire game called "British Blockade?" I found it on a rival Solitaire website (shame on me!) and it was one of those impossible games--the sort that I love. I've been trying to get Mr. Warfield to put it in our games here but so far, no luck---

Thanks--
Maria
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 121
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   

Hi Maria,
I don't know of this rival site you're talking about, and I won't be losing sleep worrying about it. PGS has more than enough to keep me both busy and happy.
Re email addresses being accessible, I would doubt it, but again I don't know.
Perhaps if you contacted the PGS moderators they would be prepared to forward it to me.
Re British Blockade.... anything British has to be pretty good. Scottish Blockade would be infinitely superior. Ha!
Richard.
PS.That was a joke Paul.(Forsdick).
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 8:39 am:   

Dear Richard--My intention was never to have you lose any sleep.

Well, that's too bad--Paul has e-mailed me with play strategies for a couple of the games--ask him how he managed that---
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 12:11 pm:   

Maria,

According to Parlett's solitaire book (which is the bible of solitaire books), the game "British Blockade" is also called "Parallels", which is already in PGS. That might be the game you are looking for.

Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 4:48 pm:   

Mr. Warfield, thank you for posting that to me--but the British Blockade game to which I am referring is played differently than is Parallels--it is veyr difficult to win and reminds me somewhat of Thirteen Packs--
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 122
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   

Hi Maria,
I will definately ask Paul about the email addresses but repeat that I'm surprised that they are accessible. I am just about getting free of an email problem because someone maliciously entered my address in some X rated site(s). They must share lists with other companies etc because I was being bombarded with spam from all over the world in next to no time. My spam filter would remove 50 or 60 per day, but allow an even bigger number though. Blocking them made no difference whatsoever. Consequently I would not be comfortable with posting my email address here (or anywhere else for that matter).Ask Paul to forward yours to me if you want. We are in regular contact. Two different games of "Cone" bit the dust today, and we're battling with others.
-------------------------------------------------
I'll admit that curiosity got the better of me re British Blockade. I found the site and downloaded a trial version. (I won't be subscribing though).
I thought that the game looked very familiar but Thomas has saved me a lot of work sifting through all the PGS games to find it. Thanks for that.
Perhaps it's a case of old dogs and new tricks, but I didn't take to the Trial Version much, and think it lacks a great many features that we take for granted with PGS. But you were correct Maria, it is a good game regardless of what they call it. 564966465 is a winning number for it if you want, but it is not guaranteed to be much help because no two players would play it identically anyway. The best strategy for any solitaire game is simply to take your time and try to plan ahead a little. Pity Tony Blair and George Bush hadn't thought of that. Ha! Now if you've got their email addresses I'd love to have a chat with them.
Might land up in the jail though.
Be cool,
Richard.
PS. I talk to you more than I talk to my wife. Ha!

Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 5:35 pm:   

Hello again Maria (and Thomas),
Correction, my mistake. Although extremely similar British Blockade does differ from Parallels. With the latter you must locate the foundation aces and kings yourself, so Parallels starts with eight fewer cards in the stock and should therefore be marginally easier to win.
Richard.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 5:50 pm:   

Wrong again Richard!
Parallels does not fill up spaces automatically as British Blockade does, and is far far easier.
Try this winning number Maria,125256384. It seemed to be very straightforward. It's nearly midnight, what AM I doing? Am I possessed by PGS?
Richard.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 135
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 4:53 am:   

Thank you, Richard, for the winning number, but for what game? PGS doesn't have British BLockade in it--as yet---and I have won Parallels very handily several times.

Aren't we all possessed by PGS?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 136
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 4:54 am:   

All right, Richard, as we say here, Stupid Question #5,937--where did you find British Blockade?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 137
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 4:59 am:   

Hello, Richard--aha--you found the site--I agree, it is inferior to PGS--that's why I didn't renew the membership--
I had finally won British BLockade before I dropped that game site. I had suggested to Mr. Warfield that he find it and add it to PGS but nothing has happened so far. I thought BB was similar to Thirteen Packs, more so than to Parallels.

I'm talking to you more than to my husband--hahaha!

Have a good day--you are well into Saturday already, I presume??
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 126
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 2:21 pm:   

Hi Maria,
Game # was for Parallels but you'd already won it.
It wouldn't surprise me if PGS did a version of BB at some point in the future.Be patient.
Re Saturday...... Don't you know that we have two Saturdays per week in Scotland? Lennon & McCartney wrote "Eight Days A Week" after we went on a pubcrawl together in Aberdeen.
We're having a referendum next year to vote for a third one, and we're going to do away with Wednesdays altogether.
Richard.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   

OK, then that's a different British Blockade from what I've heard of (it's common for games to have multiple names).

Thirteen Packs has lots of folk variations.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 138
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 4:45 am:   

It would be wonderful to see them all--the Thirteen Pack variations, that is---
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 139
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 4:49 am:   

You could do away with Thursdays and Fridays and add more Mondays--that's my favorite day--

I hope PGS does do BB--I enjoyed the challenge--
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 128
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 10:37 am:   

Hi Maria,
It's appropriate that the Boomtown Rats have the final say on the matter.
Tell me why?
I don't like Mondays.
Tell me why?
I don't like Mondays.
Tell me why?
I don't like Mondays.
I want to shoot
The whole day down.
I totally agree. Every second day should be a Saturday, minimum!
I'm off to do battle with Cone again. It's fast becoming my favourite since I mastered the playing strategy.
Be good.
Richard.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 5:49 am:   

Hi Richard--we can't all agree on everything--I'm glad you enjoy weekends--

What is so difficult about Cone? Now I have to go back to it--I haven't played it in a long time--and see what it's all about--
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 8:01 am:   

Hi Maria,
"What is so difficult about Cone?" Don't think it will take you long to answer your own question. Please see my post from a few days ago for advice about it. I've revised my opinion about the number of times it's winnable. One game from three or four perhaps, but NONE of them easy victories.
Richard.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 141
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 10:52 am:   

Hi Richard--well, I will keep at it--Cone, that is---it seems innocuous enough---

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration