Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 252
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   

"Calling International Rescue".
Can anyone put me out of my misery with this one?
Initially thought it could be winnable and have been doing battle with it for ages. However I've not got past 16. Game # 651864896.
Thanks,
Richard.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Intermediate Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   

Richard, It only took me 12 minutes to "uncork" this one! Ken M
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 253
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 5:11 am:   

Hi Ken,
Well done mate, I'd all but given up on it.
It just proves my point that we tend to go back over the same old ground over and over again with a troublesome game. I'll return to it later with a clear mind now I know it's winnable. Thanks again.
Richard.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 7:20 am:   

Free hint: Try to clear the leftmost column first.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 254
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 9:48 am:   

Hi Ken,
I'm not sure whether or not you were making mischief with you Free Hint but I couldn't find a way of following your advice. Reading from left to right, I cleared row 10 first, followed by 9,6,3,2 and 5. It was only then that your lefthand column got cleared. We've proved yet again how differently we all see a game, and how much more likely one of our pool of players will win problem games.Congratulations yet again. I found that game particularly difficult. Arise Sir Kenneth.
Richard.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   

Richard, It wasn't clear from your post whether you had won this game or not, and since you had bestowed knighthood status on me, the only chivalrous thing to do was provide you with more hints. But, alas, I could not win this game again. I think we should co-author a book on PGS aphorisms. Here are two contributions from me:

1. "It is a helluva lot easier winning a game the first time than it is the second."

2. "I'd rather be lucky than good!"
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 256
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 3:13 am:   

Hi Sir Ken,
Yes I won the game after umpteen attempts, and I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment about winning a game the first time. Goodness knows how long it would take me to repeat on this one. Re #2, I'm of the opinion that YOU may be lucky AND good, but to a certain degree we make our own luck in PGS, and pure doggedness carries us through on many occasions.
Knowing you had won my game would have demanded that I sit here for days if necessary in order to match you.
Keep up the good work.
application/octet-streamOne less to wine about.
Vineyard_R.I.P._651864896.pgs (1.3 k)
Frances Cammisa (Yankeegal)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Yankeegal

Post Number: 153
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 9:14 am:   

So how exactly is Vineyard won? It seems impossible from here---
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 257
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 9:32 am:   

Hi Maria,
I've already posted a solution that shows "exactly" how Vineyard is won. Download it and run though it a few times. The game itself is classed as Hard 6%, but this particular game could well be Very Hard 1% (or less), meaning that very few people would be likely to win it. I'm posting another example of Vineyard that I consider to be "easy", so if you fail to win this one you'd be wasting your time trying most of the others which are far more difficult.
Richard.
application/octet-streamMild wine from the Vineyard
Vineyard_easy_1707520383.pgs (0.5 k)
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 11:11 am:   

Maria, Also try Vineyard #1443820672. This is even easier than Richard's #. The key (as for most games) is to try to get an open space as soon as possible. Good luck, Ken M.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 154
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   

thanks, Ken--I'll try that---and I probably be back if it doesn't work--LOL!
HAGD--
Maria
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 155
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   

Hi Richard--same thing I told Ken--I'll try the game number but I'll be back if it doesn't work--

HAGD--
Maria
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 156
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 5:59 am:   

OK--Richard, Ken, Paul--I give up on Vineyard! Either I'm doing something very wrong or this game is well-nigh impossible--

H E L P!!!!!!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 260
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 8:16 am:   

Hi Maria,
The game I gave you for Vineyard is certainly not that difficult. If you download it you can run through it card by card as often as you like and see what I did. It's not possible to explain it any clearer. In almost any PGS game you can name, you are faced with choices and have to decide which card you should play in preference to another. Make that decision and see if you make any progress. If not, undo back to where you made that decision and try something else. It's simply a case of trial and error until you find the move that gives you the most reward.
If you were in a maze, you would have to do the same. You'd keep taking the wrong turn and land up in a dead end, so you'd retrace your steps and try another route.
In the stats for Vineyard. 1671 games have been played but just 221 of them have been won. 13.2%.
Many of those games may have been totally unwinnable, so at least you KNOW that Ken's game and mine can be won. Don't give up so easily. If you find that you can't win, there's no point in beating yourself up over it. Find somes games that YOU are good at and that YOU enjoy playing.
Don't saddle yourself with other peoples baggage, and start enjoying playing the games.
Richard.

Audrey G Schnell (Paxinc)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Paxinc

Post Number: 161
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 8:26 am:   

I won Vineyard #250142529 in 2004; it must have been easy, for me and without help! I've now staggered up to 578/660 and required much help which I mostly got from Paul, not having mastered Richard;s method. A little slow on that. Bye Audrey
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 162
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 9:30 am:   

Richard> I'm stuck on looking at your solutions. I've got your 'easy' vineyard solution on the desktop, with a .pgs ending. Put it in the folder with all the other pgs games. opened PGS, went to open games, saw nothing new, opened vineyard and up came the end of my winning game. Where am I going wrong? I'd like to use the feature. By the way, if I try to open the file, I get "error. Unable to load card set (gdcard.config) Audrey
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 163
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 10:26 am:   

Rats. Wish I'd not entered the discussion. Mow I've lost my vineyard win! Audrey
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 157
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   

Richard, I enjoy challenges--don't misunderstand--I just wondered if I was doing something wrong--but as you say, I should exercise a little patience and "undo" moves to try something else--

Your advice is fine and will be taken--thank you!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 261
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   

Hi Audrey,
Not sure I understand you completely.
"opened PGS, went to open games, saw nothing new".
Once you've got the file into the folder you are practically home. You open PGS, then select Vineyard. Then with a Vineyard game on screen, you go to the top left of the monitor and click on "Game". A dropdown menu appears and you then click on "Open Game". It will then show you every Vineyard game that has been saved on your PC. Highlight the one you want and it will show in the line that says "File Name", Click "Open". The game will open at the exact point that it had been saved. Then by clicking on "Undo" you can move the came backwards a card at a time right back to the start if you want. Obviously clicking on "Redo" will then progress the game forwards.
Richard.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 158
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   

Hi Audrey--thanks for another number to try--I appreciate it--I do enjoy challenging games but I really thought I was doing something wrong here--however, try and try again--I'll get it one of these times--

Bye!
Maria
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   

Ok, Richard. I select vineyard, go to c\game, which menu offers only Wizard, see game stats & select a random game + key movements. The long, permanent menu gives an open games ch0ice. What should I now hit?
Maria. I can't win it again! Boo-Hoo. Audrey
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 264
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   

Audrey,
On your desktop you have the PGS logo. Click it to enter PGS. Then you see ALL the pgs games. Highlight Vineyard. Click it. It opens.
You could now play the Vineyard game that the randomiser has selected for you. But you want to open the game you've downloaded, so you go up to the TOP LEFT HAND SIDE of the screen you are on.
Across the top it says Game Options Internet and Help. (Beneath that are all the big square buttons Undo, Redo, Snapshot etc).Click on the one that says GAME. Then the menu drops down and you choose "Open Game". I cannot make it any simpler. If you can't do it yourself you'll have to get someone to show you how. It's such an important part of the forum that it's essential you can use it.
Richard.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 265
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   

Hi Audrey,
I've finally figured out what you're doing wrong. When you're in the screen that af the games listed beneath. You have to select Vineyard on this screen before you will move onto the one you're looking for.
Richard.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 266
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   

Hi Audrey, (LINE got OMITTED FROM ABOVE MESSAGE)

I've finally figured out what you're doing wrong. When you're in the screen that has Wizard at the top left, you have all the games listed beneath. You have to select Vineyard on this screen before you will move onto the one you're looking for.
Richard.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 165
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   

Thanks beaucoup, Richard. I'm as thick as a plank, just as you probably thought. I finally did what I should and now have a Vineyard win back. It's actually one of your'se but, sans faire rien; I Had never been able to do it before. Bye Audrey
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 267
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   

Hi Audrey,
Phew! One down, one to go. Now if you could just have a word with Maria. I'm sure the female brain uses a different type of logic than mine. Sometimes I believe that we use a different language too. Maybe my hair will grow back in now.
Quines!
Richard.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 166
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   

I was once a rather good teacher, but, the years have withered those neurones. I do think that I now need instructa in one syllable increments. Once I got it, it was easy to do; my weird brain seems to find out of the way loci, with ease. Bye Audrey
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 269
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 4:15 am:   

Hi Audrey,
I was delighted that you finally made the breakthrough, but I don't think you were being dumb.
I find that I can quickly master new things if someone shows me how to do them. However it is not unusual for the Scottish air to turn blue when I have to consult an instruction manual etc.
Having been a cryptic crossword addict I tend to see numerous ambiguities in almost every line.
I don't suppost the first wheel was perfect either.
Richard.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 273
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 7:39 am:   

Hi Audrey,
Re instruction manuals :- If I every had a job with Ikea packaging self assembly furniture, here's how I would spend my last day with the company.
I'd include different screws and fittings in every box. Some too small, some too big, some too long etc., but I'd rewrite the assembly instructions so that these appeared to be the right ones. I'd use gobbledygook terminology throughout. "Insert the ancillary sprocket grommet applicator into the appropriate aperture, taking care not to damage the widget housing".
There would be half built furniture hurtling out of windows all over the country.
Clearly the product of a sick mind, although I sometimes wonder if some perv hasn't beaten me to it, and is having a huge laugh at my expense.

This is how I fill my day! Sad isn't it?
Richard.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 159
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 7:58 am:   

I find it easier to "master" things when shown how to do them too, Richard--it isn't only the Scottish---

I'm going to print out your "directions" for Vineyard--but I have to say, it does seem like a frustrating game---

Have a wonderful day--
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 274
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 9:30 am:   

Hi Maria,
We've got to get you into the groove somehow. I'm going to paste a post from Ken Millar here in case you missed it. It's probably the simplest way to open a game from the forum. You don't even have to download it first, but you must be online.
You could easily ignore the F5 key part. I did.

This is how I opened Ken's BRILLIANT solution. I clicked on it, then pasted the address into my browser. I went to Vineyard, opened it (using F5 key), pasted the address in the spot where it said file name, hit open button, and VOILA!
Good luck,
Richard.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 275
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 9:52 am:   

Here's a puzzle that every one of you can solve.
No skill involved, but a stubborn streak will stand you in good stead.
Question- Which game in PGS is classed as 30% difficulty although the person who tops the stats table has won less than this figure?
Richard.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 167
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   

Beats me, Richard; I'm busy, working at La Nivernaise, again. Bye Audrey
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 276
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 5:08 am:   

Hi Audrey,
I have a saved game of La Nivernaise if you want it. Game 1246241408.
Richard.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 168
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 7:53 am:   

Thanks, Richard. I'd like it. Bye Audrey
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 277
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 9:13 am:   

Hi Audrey,
Let's see if you can get this downloaded successfully. I'd half a mind to encrypt it, but you've had enough hassle already.
I let Google search for Nivernaise and got some very varied answers. Non native, a prairie, a canal, a cooking style with carrots and turnip, a book, and now we're whistling Dixie,a distillery!
Cheers,
Richard.
application/octet-streamCarrot and canal water wine.
La Nivernaise_1246241408.pgs (5.6 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 169
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 11:33 am:   

I got ready, Richard.I made a short-cut to the PGS files. Puhleeze, no encryption. Bye Audrey
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 170
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   

Interesting! When I went to play Richard's La Niver-nasise #1246241408, it did not appear on the list of games, I'd put it on the desktop, making sure that was a .pgs, and the only one available was one I'd played. I must have gone wrong? Audrey
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 278
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   

Audrey,
I thought that you previously managed to put downloaded files into the correct folder. Then it would work.
Richard.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Advanced Solitaire Player

Post Number: 52
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   

Richard, what was the answer to your riddle posted above???
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 171
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   

Richard: I did it the same way. Must have put a curse on it, involuntarily. Audrey
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 279
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   

Hi Ken,
The answer to my question WAS Four Stacks.
Who's a clever boy then?
Richard.
It's after 1am!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 172
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   

So you actually live in Bonny Scotland, Richard! Me, I'm an expatriate Southroner. Been a Texan this many years. Wahoo!!!. Audrey
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 160
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 4:48 am:   

Thank, Richard, but if you posted anything to me it didn't come through--the server here has been acting up again--

How's the weather in the British Isles? It's 18 degrees outside this morning---
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 280
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 5:07 am:   

Hi Audrey,
I've decided to sacrifice my mental health to get your PGS download problem sorted out once and for all, even if this means that my hair lands up round my feet.
First instruction.... forget ALL previous instructions.
Now I hope you're seeing the page in PGS forum titled "Vineyard". If not, navigate there.
A few messages above this you will see a downloadable file called La Nivernaise 1246241408.
Click on it and it will open. Do not download it.
In the address bar near the top of its window you should see ../18/La_Nivern aise_1246241408-2782.unk.(Ensure you are seeing exactly this).
Highlight it and then right click and select "copy". Close that window.
You should now be back to the "Vineyard" window.
Top right of this screen, click the minus symbol so that this window lands up down in the tray at the foot of your monitor.
Click the PGS logo on your desktop and open PGS.
Scroll down and locate La ninervaise.
Click to open this.
Top left of its screen click on "Game".
Dropdown menu appears and you click on "Open Game".
There may be no files in there but it doesn't matter.
Now your cursor should be flashing in the box that's called "File name".
Right click in this box and select "Paste"
The long file name that you copied online should now appear in that box.
Click "Open". Job done.
"Our father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name" etc.
Richard
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 281
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 5:22 am:   

Hi Maria,
The weather has improved quite a bit. It was minus ten here a few times recently. We've now got rid of the frost and have been lashed by severe gales for over a week.Also had endless rain and some flooding a bit further south. It's cold, dry and sunny today, so far!
We were very grateful that Mr.Bush finally conceded that global warming is actually happening, before our islands sink into the North Sea.
Hi George. Have a nice day. You too Maria.
Richard.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 173
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 10:57 am:   

Richard: I've got that printed! Let's see if I can stop messing up. By the way, with Paul's help, I've finally nailed Bunker. Bye Audrey
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 284
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   

Hi Audrey,
Print out was a good idea. Can't see how you can possibly fail now.
Re Bunker, I was playing it just yesterday. Managed to win 16 from 50. Now joint top of the stats for this game with 32%. Don't expect to see you there. Ha!
Be good,
Richard.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 174
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   

Not hardly, Richard: Hanging in there is more my speed. Bye Audrey PS Nailed Kingdom today.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration