Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » Triple Interchange Part V « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 151
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 11:26 am:   

Richard, #596379904 was definitely fun and challenging. Only #1442918912 left to go. Keep them coming. Ken
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 536
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   

We've off for a few days holidays on friday. Going to visit Dirleton, Tantallon, Hermitage, and Hailes Castles plus other places in the vacinity. Hermitage Castle was described as the embodiment in stone of the phrase "sod off". Already have a list compiled of numerous inns and watering holes within fifty miles. Also returning to Caerlaverock Castle further south now that my camera has been repaired. All these castles were pretty smashed up in centuries of war with England, but they're still magnificent and well worth seeing, (the castles, not the neighbours.Ha!).
Explore this website, your virtual holiday.
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/areadunb/ind ex.html
It's brilliant and covers almost everywhere we've already been, plus the few places we've still to go.You can download free wallpaper too.
Whilst we are propping up bars, I'm afraid you're gonna be behind some. Think yourself lucky we've done away with capital punishment.

Triple Interchange_The Bastille__568268928
Triple Interchange_Sing Sing_1040431808
Triple Interchange_Alcatraz_1583765120
Triple Interchange_Bangkwang_1841532543
Triple Interchange_Guantanamo_808483584
Triple Interchange_Evin_851529664
Triple Interchange_Abu Ghraib _890630080
Triple Interchange_Devil's Island_675217857

Will be back at the end of the month and look forward to annoying you some more.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 2:18 am:   

Intersting article on Bangkwang
http://www.thetravelrag.com/docs/10104.asp
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 537
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 3:21 am:   

No illusions of rehabilitation there I see.
Currently in the UK, prisoners have sucessfully taken the government to court and won substantial compensation for various things. Not having en suite toilet facilities was a classic. Some illegal immigrants got about £50,000 because they had to serve their full sentences before being deported. The latest farce is that they are being denied the vote whilst in prison, and are currently trying to stop the forthcoming elections from taking place because of this. We are infringing their human rights under european legislation. This fairly recent act must have been drawn up by some of the bluntest pencils in the box, whilst they were stoned out of their tiny minds at the taxpayer's expense. I've undoubtedly infringed more human rights by telling you this.
Try and get a copy of "Papillon" by Henri Charriere. That's one of the best books I've ever read. Devil's Island made Bangkwang look like Disneyland.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 153
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 8:57 am:   

Great movie with Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman. What does it say about the US when 1/2 of the infamous prisons you listed are operated by Americans?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 538
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 11:17 am:   

Yes the film wasn't bad, but it couldn't do justice to a very long and multi faceted book.
Re the percentage of jails, that was purely accidental, but if you discount Alcatraz because it is now closed, that takes your percentage down dramatically. At that point it would be accurate to say that I'd listed an equally high percentage of Muslim ones. That's as deep into this political debate as it's safe to venture.

There is a place a bit further north than Inverness where we sometimes spend an hour or so dolphin watching. A small cairn there commemorates The Braan Seer who was executed there in a barrel of burning tar around 1680. His heineous crime was clairvoyancy. The USA penal system is a comparative amateur by european standards.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 539
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   

GOOD NEWS KEN. You've just been pardoned! You are free to leave the torture chamber.

"TI_Le Garotte_1442918912 the ultimate wind-up".
Think about it. The device operates in a winding manner, but a wind-up is one of my own specialities. Did I hear the penny drop? This game number is like myself,impossible! You've been had mate. By way of an apology I'll send you a postcard.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 540
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   

T.Interchange_Postcard from Scotland_1385547136
Triple Interchange_Barlinnie_2136922111
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   

You lost me, Richard. Are you saying that #1442918912 can not be won? For sure? Sounds like a challenge for Jax Ken!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 541
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 3:55 am:   

Yes Ken, I would now put money on it being unwinnable. Initially I thought it was just going to be very difficult, but it reached the stage where I'm pretty certain that I've exhausted all the possible variations. You've given it your best shot too, which reinforces my unwinnable tag. It was a good game despite that. I'd be happy if anyone could prove me wrong though. It's high time we had some company.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 542
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 7:27 am:   

Hi Ken,
The following game is the most difficult one I've encountered in ages. It took me forever just to get a column clear. I have finally won it, but I was beginning to doubt if it was possible.
We're off to get some fresh air for the next week.
Yours is somewhat less palatable.
Triple Interchange_Sodium Sulphide_1333201408
Have fun.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 543
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 7:26 am:   

Hi Ken,
We've just returned from our travels and have brought you a little present. I hope you enjoy it.
Triple Interchange_Morinda citrifolia_720682880

I'm surprised by how few posts there has been in the last week. Thomas should consider changing the name from Forum to Two-um. Normal service has now been resumed.
Richard.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 9:39 am:   

Ain't that the truth, Richard! Welcome back from holiday! How was the weather? I enjoyed your Postcard from Scotland, and Devil's Island. Very fun, but sodium sulphide is still stinking up the place!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 544
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 10:17 am:   

Hi Ken,
We had a fabulous holiday with wonderful weather.We saw a couple of "pit prisons" whereby the accused was hurled through the floor into a deep black hole beneath.If they broke bones it was their own fault for not landing properly. They were sometimes just left to starve to death. We're having no more "torture" tags for the hardest TI's. These places were no joke.
I used to work with sodium sulphide. It does smell a little. Stop inhaling, That'll fix it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 546
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 2:08 am:   

Hi Ken,
I've opened a window for you to let some of the sulphide pong escape.You mustn't play the four of spades to the foundations when it becomes available. You'll need it free to accept a TWO from column one.
application/octet-streamClean up from here
Triple Interchange_Aerosol_1333201408.pgs (2.2 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 547
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 3:23 am:   

I'd forgotten just how difficult a game I'd left you, and I've been trying to re-win it from the above position. Wow! More ventilation required.
The hidden cards in column one are (reading from bottom upwards) 2 Spades, 7 hearts,and another 6 spades under the visible one.
You must ensure that you've got room on the foundations or the tableau to accept EVERYTHING as this is the column you have to empty.(The second 6 of spades will look after itself). No wonder you've been at it for days!
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 156
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   

Thanks for the tips!!!!!
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 157
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 5:13 am:   

And speaking of tips, for #720682880, what column should I clear first????
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 549
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 6:41 am:   

For #720682880 our "friend" the Vomit Fruit, it was column two that I eventually managed to clear,
at a score of 78, stock 21, waste 2. Would that make this a rubbish-tip?
Posting a partial win for you. See how you progress from there.
Obviously the clubs are the keys to winning this game. The 4 from column 8 goes onto column 1. Then the 4 from column 4 went onto column 6. The vital 3 you need is in column 2 so you must not play your 9 of spades from column 8 up onto the foundations, and you also need to have the queen of spades available in the foundations to accept the king from column 2. When you liberate the 3 of clubs, you use it to put all the clubs from column 3 up onto the foundations.
You're not out of the woods yet though. You've got my word on that.
application/octet-streamWell clubbered
Triple Interchange_fruit segment_720682880.pgs (4.5 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 550
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 6:54 am:   

OOOPS! You are out of the woods at that point. I remembered it still had some fight left.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 553
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   

Hi Ken,
I'm not sure if you've finished all the TI's I've posted but I have some more good ones lined up.I needed a new name category for them, something that will not fizzle out quickly like prisons etc. So at the risk of irritating you more than normal, I've decided on Famous Scots, and to get the ball rolling I thought I'd start with ones with an American connection.
Triple Interchange_John Witherspoon_81791873
Triple Interchange_Robert Dinwiddie_99974993
Triple Interchange_John Paul Jones_851529664
Triple Interchange_Andrew Carnegie_890630080

Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 158
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   

Richard, I do have them all done. Thanks for the new #'s. A suggestion for future #'s: how about famous lochs, e.g. Loch Lomond, Loch Ness, John Locke, Yale Lock, etc....
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 554
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   

Now,now Kenneth. Heard the one about sleeping dogs? Especially applicable to Scottish Terriers!
Despite this I am going to award you 4 out of 10 for this post. The joke fails because loch and lock are not pronounced the same in Scotland. That cost you two valuable points. Yale was American. Deduct another two precious points. John Locke was English, so a two point deduction was predictable. But like Andrew Carnegie I was being generous.
It's 1am and I'm watching "Trainspotting" on TV.
No wonder I'm cracking up.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 160
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   

John Paul Jones may not have yet begun to fight, and I didn't either since you posted that # 2 weeks ago. What's that, Olaf, the master is becoming forgetful in his old age, and he hasn't paid you your stipend for this month? Au pairing without payment is tyranny!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 555
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 4:27 am:   

Apologies Grasshopper. Olaf's housekeeping has not extended to cleaning up my PGS files.There are literally hundreds of TI's alone. Some complete but many just segments. I'm gonna cut him adrift and see that his replacement has a bit more up top. As for me being a tyrant, he can't complain, as Vikings were at the forefront of slavery anyway.
One thing that bugs me about PGS is that when I perform searches using just game numbers, it often tells me that they haven't been used in the forum. Hence the duplications. Going to revert to a manual seaarch and get things organised better now that I know you don't need any of my old saved games. See! It's your fault. Liz is good at this shifting the blame lark, and it appears I'm still capable of learning a trick or two.
Your humble servant, Richard.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 162
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 4:42 am:   

Richard, I'm almost embarrassed posting this # because of the recent doozies you have posted, but try #919596225. ("There is no try, Luke. There is only do.") The interesting thing about this one is I was able to get a free column almost right away, but it still took me a while to win it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 556
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 6:43 am:   

Thanks Ken, that certainly wasn't embarrassing. It looked deceptively easy for some time but put up a good fight. It was all the excuse I needed to pause my tedious TI clean-up campaign, which is making good progress. Expect some additions later today.
application/octet-streamShe'll rock your boat
Triple Interchange_The Siren_919596225.pgs (5.5 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 557
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 9:32 am:   

Clean-up proving a more difficult job than I thought. Have found a new vessel for the founder of the U.S.Navy though.
Triple Interchange_John Paul Jones_317634721
Hope this is not another shipwreck.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 163
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 3:24 am:   

Richard, Take a break from your spring cleaning to try this number: 2042526336. This should clear out some cobwebs!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 558
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:56 am:   

What kind of prey do you expect to catch with cobwebs? This fly-guy has just given it a fly-by, and suspects you are dealing off the bottom of the deck. This duck is so dead that orange sauce wouldn't mask the pong. Gonna have to give you 2 out of 10. That equates to one digit from the five.(Think about it).
Working on a little stinker myself, but webbed feet will not be required for you to solve it.
Have a good one.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 559
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   

Hi Ken,
I'm beginning to think that grey hair feeds on grey matter, judging by how long it's taken me to clean up my act. Have whittled it down to 30 saved games, but have no idea how hard some of them were. It will do you no harm to get a few easy games for a change. Please let me know which ones you've completed so that I can keep my files updated.
Triple Interchange_James Young Simpson _1648200191 (mind numbing).
Triple Interchange_Sir Alexander Fleming_1216269184 (give it a shot).
Triple Interchange_Alexander Graham Bell _1385547136 (got your number?)
Triple Interchange_John Logie Baird _1040431808 (set to entertain)
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 4:01 am:   

Richard, The first two were easy, the last one was definitely entertaining, and the third one I'm still working on. Dare I say it? I can't just phone that one in!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 561
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 4:42 am:   

The motto of the S.A.S. is "Who dares wins" so you can definitely say it, but actions speak louder.
Have you finished with the numbers Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 12:38 pm? Don't want to land up in another clutter.
We may land up in a situation where you are winning them faster than I'm unearthing them, so I'm holding onto a couple of odouriferous ones to use if we reach this point. I'm sorry I don't have the time to replay the saved games before I post them, but you should still get some fun out of them.
Scotland's contribution to world peace :-(
Triple Interchange_William Malcolm_46815745 (scope for revenge)
Triple Interchange_James P.Lee_356747361 (To stop you in your tracks)
Triple Interchange_Patrick Ferguson_549134656 (Once more into the breech)
Triple Interchange_Samuel Colt_828064064 (Revolves round both parents).

Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 165
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 5:48 am:   

Yes, I've won everything except Mr. Bell.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 562
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 6:05 am:   

Ding,dong!!! (Leslie Phillips)

Just stopped for a coffee. Time and grass wait for no man. Another hour should finish mine, then I have a treat in store. My mother's grass! That done, I may have time to find a new spoke for your wheel.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 166
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:39 am:   

Richard, On the last 4 you posted, I got the first, second, and last one, but the third one I'm still working on (just like the last set of 4 you posted). Knowing you, I'm sure you have something profound to say about the power of three, maybe having something to do with the Holy Trinity (and how apropos on Good Friday!)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 564
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 3:29 am:   

Triple Interchange_John Paul Jones_317634721 (2nd one).
Triple Interchange_Alexander Graham Bell _1385547136
Triple Interchange_Patrick Ferguson_549134656
I'm deleting all my previous posts except the above. Yet another three!
So to recap, you've had 3,3,3. That's half of 6,6,6,. You little devil, how inappropriate on on Good Friday.
Will get back to you with some fresh ones shortly.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 565
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 3:48 am:   

I'm going to make you an honourary Scotsman today.
It's a Good day for it.
Millar :- MacFarlane (MacPharlain, Gaelic). Motto:- This I'll defend
Oliver Cromwell burned the MacFarlane seat at Inveruglas, Loch Lomond, in his invasion of Scotland in 1645. Not much fun having your seat burned, especially if there are ladies present.
Triple Interchange_Mary Slessor_1418274048 (Had a position in Nigeria)
Triple Interchange_Evelyn Glennie_2085105663 (Deafinitely of note)
Triple Interchange_Lulu_1497681408 (She'll make you wanna shout).
Triple Interchange_Flora MacDonald_427741249 (Give her a break)

Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 167
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:11 am:   

I didn't know Lulu was Scottish. She was on American Idol the other week, and everybody was asking who she was, and I said have you never heard of "To Sir With Love"? These young whippersnappers! No sense of history...
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 566
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:34 am:   

Yes, I'd almost forgotten about that, but her character had the immortal line, "If you want to dance wif me, you bleedin' well ask proper!".
Cast as a Londoner rather than a Glaswegian She married Maurice Gibb from The Bee Gees. If you want to find out what that group was previously called, watch the following.
Thanks Ken. Brought back some memories.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PObhS3Z9YAQ&mode=re lated&search=
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 168
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   

Richard, I've won everything you've posted EXCEPT for the two previous ones that I've mentioned before, i.e. #1385547136, and #549134656. Instead of that Easter bonnet you were going to buy me (you know the one, the one with all the frills upon it), why don't you post a small clue for each one? Happy Holidays, Ken
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 567
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   

For 1385547136 you play the 9 of clubs from column 3 up to foundations, then empty that column.
application/octet-streamDing Dong Battle
Triple Interchange_Clue_1385547136.pgs (1.7 k)

For 549134656 is was column 8 that I eventually emptied at score 40 stock 11 waste 24, but it's not easy just to get there. On the queen of diamonds in column 8, you must add the jack from coulumn 1, and the ten from column 3.
application/octet-streamThrash it.
Triple Interchange_clue_549134656.pgs (2.8 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 568
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   

Hi Ken,
You did ask for small clues so I hope I didn't take them too far.
Changed my mind about your easter bonnet. Gave it to Ingrid my new au pair. I wanted someone to clean up my PC but I must have misread her advert. Transpires she doesn't specialise in laptops, but she's some kind of specialist dancer.
Having a lovely holiday!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 569
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   

Here is your next assignment.Ingrid says I've just to post them in alphabetical order.

Triple Interchange_David Livigstone_1974771071
Triple Interchange_James Gregory_240503793
Triple Interchange_Jenny Geddes_2127965311
Triple Interchange_John (Tar) McAdam_2058113023

None of these came out of my "difficult" folder, so may be quite easy.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   

I have to give all of you credit who like this type of solitaire game. I just don't have what it takes to play mutiple deck games. I am working on #469162977 it's seems a little tougher than the last two I solved. How much time do you all usually spend on trying to solve them. I must confess I like games which move a lot faster and you can see if there is really a solution by the 2nd or 3rd time you work on it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 570
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   

Hi Mike,
I normally don't bother timung how long games take, but I knocked this one out in seven minutes.
Ken and myself play this game constantly and are far more likely than most people to spot the quickest ways to win them.We're pretty much T.I.specialists. Don't be discouraged, it's not about speed, it's about fun. Doesn't matter if it takes you all day.
application/octet-stream
Triple Interchange_469162977.pgs (7.8 k)
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 169
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   

Mike, I second Richard's thoughts. I find that if the game is too easy, the game is boring. It's the thrill of the hunt, so to speak. PS to Richard, I think I met Ingrid's Floridian cousin at the pub last night after work.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 170
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   

Richard, re: your solutions, As Ingrid's cousin said to me last night, "Brilliant!" (But what is this talk about "floppies"? I'll never understand computers!)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 571
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   

Dunno mate! Obsolete technology I think. I leave it all to my hard-drive.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 171
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   

Richard, I would love to say that our mutual love of PGS is due to camaraderie and international detente, but I'll admit to at least a little bit of competitiveness. So, I was curious as to how long it would take me to win Mike's #. Guess how long it took?....Seven minutes!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 572
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   

That doesn't surprise me in the least Ken. It was one of those games where most of the covered cards were of use almost immediately. I'm glad you tried it. It demonstrates how well matched we are in this arena.
Anagram time.
Was that Kerstin you met?
She must stirKen surely.
With Ingrid I'd grin.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   

Like I said. You guys are too good.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 573
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 2:41 am:   

It appears that we're the Good Guys Ken. Thanks Mike, but seriously it's all down to practise. We've become good at detective work. We analyse the clues more quickly these days, and have become quite adept at sorting out the red herrings. Few cases are left unsolved. If only our respective police forces were so efficient. Please stay active in the forum Mike, and treat it as a bit of fun too.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   

Ok, I got that one. I forgot to mention it was Dover #469162977. Guess I need to move this over to the Dover thread. Now if you guys could help me with my golf game that would be great.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 574
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   

It's no big deal if you post in the wrong thread. We've all done it. Here is your Dover solution. I found it quite challanging.
application/octet-stream
Dover_What the butler saw_469162977.pgs (4.3 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 575
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   

Golf! Born in Scotland, but here is all the help I can give you Mike.
application/octet-stream
Golf_A good walk ruined_1157057792.pgs (0.7 k)

My tip is to take up darts instead. Equally frustrating, but you don't have to leave the pub.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   

I had already solved it. That's what I meant by "I got it". I've played a little darts but I am not a drinker. Guess I could just have pub food and a pint.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   

BTW.When I paste in a game solution number I get a message saying "this is not a saved game" or something like that. What else do I need to do?
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 172
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 3:22 am:   

Richard, The last 4 you posted definitely were not easy, but they weren't difficult either. On another note totally unrelated, wasn't the movie "O Lucky Man" with Malcolm McDowell set in Scotland?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 576
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 4:14 am:   

Hi Ken,
Will post some more from the unclassified list today.I'm glad that they're not all easy ones. Once I get that lot out of they way we can make a start on the nasty ones,(which are building up quite nicely).
Re "O Lucky Man" with Malcolm McDowell, that's not a film I recall at all, although I must have seen it. Strangely, I was watching "Local Hero" on the TV two days ago.I've been to Pennan where it was shot, but some of the scenery didn't seem to fit, so I Googled it and got this site.
http://www.scotlandthemovie.com/movies/ffilms.html
I found that the film had been shot at three Scottish locations. I was extremely surprised at the large number of other films that were shot here too. "2001:A Space Odyssey" is the very first on the list.
During our last holiday we visited Doune Caste where some of Monty Python And The Holy Grail was shot. "Trainspotting" which I mentioned watching very recently was also shot here. In Scotland it's so easy to find places that mankind hasn't messed up yet. That and exceptional light quality bring the film makers here.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 578
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 4:41 am:   

For Mike Bulter.
I've opened a new thread called "Using games that have been uploaded". If you click on "Topics" at the top right of this page, then "Is It Winnable", you will see the new thread there.
Leave a response there and I will find it.
Persevere with the pints, they'll do you less harm than too much grub.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 579
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 4:52 am:   

Here is your next quota Ken,
Triple Interchange_John Knox_162700273
Triple Interchange_John Muir_1546633600
Triple Interchange_John Napier_1064431296
Triple Interchange_Joseph Lister_816650624
Triple Interchange_Kirkpatrick Macmillan_1648200191
Triple Interchange_Rev Patrick Bell_1115708160
Triple Interchange_Rev. Alexander Forsyth_1799007615

Did you watch the boxing the other night? It was being televised live to USA.
The American contender,Peter Manfredo got thrashed by the Welshman Joe Calzaghe. Serves him right for saying you're past it at age 35.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 580
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 5:12 am:   

Googled "O Lucky Man" for locations. Shot almost entirely in England, but one scene was shot at "Bellamine prison,Glasgow", which doesn't exist. Presuming they meant Barlinnie Prison, Glasgow which most definately does. The infamous Bar-L.
Run out of excuses for sitting here, so I supposed I'd better get some gardening work done. Sigh.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 173
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 7:24 am:   

If you can rent "O Lucky Man" you should. It is a very bizarre movie. When you made me an honorary Scotsman, it made me think of this movie. I saw it in college some 30 years ago. My two favorite scenes are "Chocolate sandwich, Chocolate sandwich", and where our plucky hero goes to the Millar Research Hospital, checks in, and in the middle of the hears some strange sounds. He gets up, goes into another room, sees a patient shivering, pulls back the sheet, and sees that a human head has been attached to a sheep's body. Oh, those wacky Scots!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 581
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 7:57 am:   

I'll see if I can get a copy. It certainly sounds different, and I'm sure I'd not have forgotten seeing that.
I'd highly recommend "Trainspotting" but the accents may throw you a bit. Even if you didn't understand a word you'd find it highly entertaining and extremely funny in parts. Brainwave.... get it with subtitles.
Another brilliant Scottish film is the very dark and chilling "Debt Collector" starring Billy Connolly. Parts of it are positively brutal, but some of the scenes featuring the Edinburgh Military Tattoo are wonderful.
The Millar Research Centre eh? Indulge your wildest fantasies with a sheep that talks back to you?
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 176
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 1:41 am:   

Richard, FINALLY I've finished the task(s) you set before me. And since like I've said in a previous post, all work and no play makes Ken a dull boy, my sharp-witted friend, I'm going on holiday in a month. We're going on a bike ride on the Normandy and Brittany coasts of France. We're thinking of arriving a couple days earlier and taking the ferry over to one of the Channel Islands. Have you ever been there, my well-travelled friend, and if so, is it a worthwhile side trip? And which is one better? Jersey or Guernsey? (And what do cows have to do with anything?)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 597
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 3:10 am:   

A holiday in northern France sounds brilliant. I'm sure you'll love it. Are we talking about push-bikes or motor-bikes? Clearly the terrain would be an influencing factor with a push-bike, and it would also influence which island you chose in relation to the parts of the French coast you most want to see. Despite that I'd choose Jersey to visit. There are lots of worthwhile things to see and do there. It's the biggest and it's also the nearest to France.(It has the added advantage of being the furthest away from England, ha!). Ferries to Jersey would obviously be the cheaper.
And no, darn it, I've been to neither, but intend to go there when Liz finally decides to retire.
Cows are very important creatures. Without them there would be no bulls. Without bulls there would be no bull----. Without bull---- there would be no Americans, and without Americans I'd have fewer people to sharpen my claws on. I'd also have fewer friends.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 598
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 3:41 am:   

Ingrid appears to be jealous, and says you're in dire need of a good punching so I'm to send some Scottish world champion pugilists to beat you up.

Triple Interchange_Benny Lynch_1918895999
Triple Interchange_Dick McTaggart_1994153471
Triple Interchange_Jackie Paterson_1121549440
Triple Interchange_Jim Watt _2075409791
Triple Interchange_Johnny Hill_1639180159
Triple Interchange_Ken Buchanan _992217728
Triple Interchange_Scott Harrison _1679340543
Triple Interchange_Walter McGowan _839564032
(There is at least two ugly ones facing you).

Ingrid says she'd love to come on holiday with you, and that I should remind you of her abilities. It's not just horses she rides.Push-bikes, motor-bikes,jet-skis,snow-mobiles.In fact anything that moves. She says if you can go to New York with Mary Poppins, then you should be delighted to take her.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 178
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 10:52 am:   

Richard, I need to practice my French, so here goes. Nous voyagerons des vélos, les pas motocyclettes. J'ai entendu que la côte de France est très vallonnée. Evidemment, Floride n'est pas. Donc je n'a pas d'occasion d'entraîner. Puisque vous êtes juste par-dessus la Chaîne, avec espoir vous pouvez prendre mon corps froissé au côté de la route, si nécessaire. Ken
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 600
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   

Google informs me that i can "take you ruffled body at the side of the road" !!!
Ce ne sera pas nécessaire, je vous assure! Merci, mais aucun merci. (On your bike mate!)
Perhaps you should confine your activities to the islands instead. English is widely spoken, they're less undulating, and you'd never be very far from a hospital, (or a pub for that matter).
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 604
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 3:12 am:   

I can't let today pass unobserved.
16th April 1746 The Battle Of Culloden.
The aftermath ...... Large numbers of civilians were butchered and some were deported into slavery in English plantations. The genocide and ethnic cleansing lasted for five months. Other punitive measures prohibited the wearing of the kilt, playing bagpipes, and speaking Gaelic. The punishment for breaking these laws was death without trial.

Man's inhumanity to man, makes countless thousands mourn! (Robert Burns).
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 605
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 3:17 am:   

The previous dark thought evolved from a recent visit to Liz's father. He's 96. His father died at age 109, and his grandfather at age 107. So Culloden is not that many generations ago. I've been there. It's a very sobering place.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration