HELP!! Eight off - 787494438 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » HELP!! Eight off - 787494438 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

carolyn juran (Flcisme)
Junior Solitaire Player
Username: Flcisme

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   

787494438 going nuts.... I am sure this one is impossible.... prove me wrong.... please.
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 727
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 10:33 am:   

It's made me go bananas. Between us we'd make a nice topping for the Corn Flakes.
Sorry Carolyn, but I can't get your game to oblige either. I'm close to giving up, but not quite.
Jane Morefield (Jane_morefield)
Solitaire Player
Username: Jane_morefield

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   

I need some help with eight off 103588753. I hope someone can help me. Waiting anxiously for a reply.
Jane
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 745
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   

I've yet to get past 3. Sorry Jane.
Solitaire Player

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   

I spent one whole day off and on to play eight off #197 and finally got it so I know it is winnable but then I accidently hit play again and I have tried for several days and can't see how I won the first time - can you please help me?

Jane
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 823
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   

Hi Jane, Are you sure you posted the correct number? I won it in minutes. It's not like you to post an easy one.
application/octet-stream
Eight Off_197.pgs (1.1 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 824
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   

JS up,2D down, AD out, 2D out,7S across,10S across,AC out,4H up,9H down,5D down,9S down,6S across, 5S across, 6H down,3C across,9C down,3,4,5D out,QD down,AH out,8D down,4S across,
8H down,2,3,4,5,6H out,KC,QC across,10D across,KH across,4,3C across, AS out,7H out,8,9H out,2S out,
9,10,J,Q down. Rest easy.
Solitaire Player

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   

Richard - I am sorry - I just now discovered it was game #957 instead of 197. 197 is the number of wins I have right now. Sorry...Jane
Solitaire Player

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   

I'm really getting old - I just had a birthday and I can't seem to get anything right. SORRY

It is eight off 157 that's right 157 that I can't seem to get. Thanks for answering so fast the first time. Jane
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 825
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 4:49 am:   

Hi Jane,
application/octet-streamNo job is too small
Eight Off_157.pgs (1.5 k)
Intermediate Solitaire Player

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 10:59 am:   

Richard
Thanks for the answer but I do not know how to use the solution given, sorry.

Jane
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 828
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   

Hi Jane, You're missing out on a lot by not taking the time to learn how to do this. It's easy. I can do it!
Left click on the solution I posted above and it will open. Look up to your address bar and you will see this :- ../18/Eight_Off _157-3473.unk
Left click on it and it with become highlighted. Once you've got it highlighted, right click on it and click on "copy". You're now halfway there.
You can now close the forum, but you must remain online.
Now go to your desktop and click on your PGS logo.
When it opens, click on "Eight Off" and it will open.
At the top left of that window you will see "Game". Click on that, and then click on "Open Game" on the drop down menu. A small window will open and you will see your cursor flashing in the box to the right of where it says "File Name". Right click in that box and click on "paste".
../18/Eight_Off _157-3473.unk will appear in that box.
Now click on "Open" just to the right of that box.
The uploaded game will now run.
Go through this exercise a few times til you can do it blindfold (or blind-drunk). You can't do anything to harm your PC. It's so easy you'll wonder why you've not tried it months ago.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 224
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   

Richard, Is that why you're so good at PGS? Because you do it blind-drunk? Just wondering!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 829
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   

It may come as a shock to you, but I frequently go for over a week without as much as a single beeer. It's a rare event indeed when I drink spirits. Wine is rarer still. I used to take a serious bucket. It was not uncommon for me to drink in excess of 20 pints in an evening, and then walk home in a straight line. I would normally drink around a dozen pints every day of the week. These days I consume approximately 6 to 10 pints every night if we're on holiday. Just a part time alkie now eh? (Beeer = banned word).
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 225
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   

I'm impressed! When I was MUCH younger, I drank plenty of pints myself. But now after only 2 pints, I'm ready for bed. Ah, youth!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 831
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   

"after only 2 pints, I'm ready for bed"..... I used to know a girl like that. Ah, nostalgia.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 133
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   

I can't walk a straight line when I am sober. I am not sure if I do better with 4 or 5 pints in me. I will have to try.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 833
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   

Practise makes perfect. Persevere.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 837
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   

Hi Jane, I'm assuming by the lack of euphoria that you've not had any joy running the solution for game 157. I've repeated the link below this.
All you have to do is place your cursor to the right of where it says "unk".(Just click it there). Then keep your left mouse button pressed down and drag to the left until the entire link is highlighted. Once it's highlighted, place your cursor anywhere on that line and right click with your mouse. A small menu will appear. Put your cursor onto where it says "copy" and right click your mouse.

../18/Eight_Off _157-3473.unk <----- (left click here, keep pressed down and drag to left).

You can now close the forum, but you must remain online. You're not going to be downloading anything. You're only going to run the game that's been uploaded. Nothing can go wrong.
Now go to your desktop and click on your Pretty Good Solitare logo. When it opens, click on "Eight Off" and it will open.
At the top left of that window (just above your Undo botton) you will see "Game". Left click on that, and then click on "Open Game" on the drop down menu. A small window will open and you will see your cursor flashing in the box to the right of where it says "File Name". Right click in that box and click on "paste".
../18/Eight_Off _157-3473.unk will appear in that box.
Now click on "Open" just to the right of that box.
The uploaded game will now run.

Please let me know how you've got on.

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   

Richard
We got a new dsl and new email address. I have not played for a while but I did give up on your answer to my eight off game and I finally erased the whole 197 games so I do not have game #157 on. I could not tell where the eight off game was after you use the PGS logo. I tried a couple of times and so did my husband (we both printed out the instructions and read them to each other) and we could not find what eight off game you were talking about and where it was. I don't know if that makes any sense to you but the next time I have another loss (after I get past 100) I will try again. Thanks for being concerned and I will try to grasp how to do it. It is too bad there isn't a way to show a demonstration for us to see how it works. Thanks again. Jane
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 867
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   

Hi Jane, Welcome back. Let's start differently.

If you wanted to play Eight Off you would go to your desktop and click on the logo.
PGS would then open up in what I call the main screen, (the one with the massive list of all the games).
You would then locate Eight Off in the list and click on it.
It would then open and cards would be dealt on your screen. If you were half way through a game when you last played it, it would deal out the cards to where you left it. Otherwise it would just deal out a new game.
NOW, look up to the top left corner of your screen. What do you see? "Game" "Options" "Internet" & "Help"
It's that "Game" you click to get the drop-down menu I was talking about.
I hope this makes more sense now. The annoying thing is that it's far easier to do than it is to explain.
I suggested quite recently that Screenshots would be a great idea to help people through it the first time or two. It makes a heck of a difference if you can utilise the uploaded games. It's not a major task for me to write out the moves for a game like Eight Off, but with some more complex games it would be well nigh impossible.
Do get back to me concerning this. The more of us who can do this successfully,the better.

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   

Richard - Well here I am with a new eight off I cannot seem to get - it is eight off #535116321. Sure would appreciate some help with it. I will try and use your system that you have given me above if you can solve it for me. Thanks for all your help. Jane
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 886
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 2:24 am:   

Hi Jane,
I'm pretty certain that this game is unwinnable. You are dealt with two black jacks in the cells, but both black queens are covered by 5 cards. Four hearts in column 5 cover the critical 3H. As if this wasn't bad enough, most of the diamonds are adversely mixed up in columns 6 & 8. Hopefully you have only a small winning streak this time, so starting over is not a major setback.
Incidentally, all the uploaded games remain active. There is nothing preventing you experimenting with them at any time. Nothing you can do will cause any problems with your PC. It's all completely harmless. All you are trying to do is paste the appropriate link into the correct place in your PGS, and it with then run the game from one of their computers. Obviously you must be online to do so.

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 9:52 am:   

Richard
Thanks. I tried again on the Eight Off 157 that you have been trying to teach me and everything is okay until the flashing bar appears and my paste is not highlighted and will not let me paste so I decided to type the whole line in starying with http://www.goodsol (etc.) and it opened. It worked. The only fault that I could see with that is it doesn't really show you where you keep making your mistake on the game so you can learn what you missed. Thanks again. Jane

Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 887
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 10:33 am:   

Hi Jane, Some progress anyway. You have managed to get a game to run, but it's still on a PGS computer online.
When you have it running it's very easy to save.
You look up to the top left and click where it says "Game". This time when the menu appears you choose "Save as". It will fill in the game number for you, and then you just click "Save". It is now in your own PC.
To open it at any time you want, it's top left again. "game" followed by "open game" in the drop down menu. Highlight the one you want in the window, (you'll probably just have the one at this point), and then click "Open".
The game will run through quite quickly to where the person who uploaded it had left it. Then you can click "undo" repeatedly and progress the game backwards as far as you want. Then "redo" will advance it a card at a time every time you click it.
Here is the link again.
../18/Eight_Off _157-3473.unk
Click it and then you will see it's unique address in your address bar. Place your cursor anywhere on that line and right click with your mouse. A small menu will appear. Put your cursor onto where it says "copy" and right click your mouse.
You already managed the next part, so I hope you can take it all the way this time. Good luck.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration