Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » Triple Interchange Part IX « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 318
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 12:33 am:   

Like I said in a previous post, what meager abilities I once had are now gone. I can't even win #1249528832. I'm sure even Mike can win this one!
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 4:14 am:   

Don't worry Ken, you've not turned into a masticating herbivore yet. The above number is a little gem. It took me quite some time just to get a column clear and even then it wasn't plain sailing. Concentrate on column 5. There is a 7H under the AD.It's as easy as falling off a bike.
One of the places we visited recently was offering visitors half an hour on a Penny-Farthing for £5. I told them they'd need to pay me a lot more than that.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 319
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 6:46 am:   

Richard, it's nice to know that you had difficulty with it also. I got it about 1/2 hour after I had posted it. I guess persistence and perspicacity is the key.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 320
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 7:03 am:   

Richard, there is a Penny Farthing Inn in St Augustine, Florida: a wonderful tourist town! You and Liz need to come stateside. It's only a couple of miles for Ken #1, and myself, K2, could be there in 3 hours. If Mike wants to fly in from AZ, he, of course, is welcome.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 262
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   

I have to get to AZ first. I am in California. But if Richard ever decides to come across the pond I could find my way to FL.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   

Ha! Proof positive that Ken Millar doesn't know his AZ from his elbow.
Whilst I'd not be averse to crossing the pond, I'm sure your FBI would have me their list as an agent provocateur. I may even have made it onto the Most Sarcastic list.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 322
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   

Sorry, Mike, I don't know why I thought that. At the risk of encouraging Richard, "AZ from his elbow" was pretty funny!
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 263
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   

I vote for the Most Sarcastic list. You never did tell me the Scottish word for Leprechan.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   

You VOTE for the Most Sarcastic list? Surely not. Didn't your wife disenfranchise you decades ago?
No Leprechauns in Scotland mate. The haggis ate them all. We did export the Bogie-Man to USA. That's why you sleep with the light on.
Yes, I'll vote for the Most Sarcastic list.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 264
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   

That's right I forgot. I don't have a vote or a say in anything. Thanks for reminding me. Although I get reminded everyday from "She who must be obeyed".
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 3:43 am:   

Things are looking up for you Mike. By loyal command you are hereby granted a voice and a vote in this forum. Just in case this experience is too much for you, the rest of us promise to ignore anything that conflicts with our more valuable opinions. A home from home. Your vote for the Most Sarcastic List has now been recorded.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 6:06 am:   

I found this one quite trying. There are probably many different ways to win it as you are constantly obliged to choose between alternative moves. 341136385 is one you should appreciate.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 323
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   

text/plainI've still got it!
Triple Interchange_Practice_makes_perfect_41136385.pgs (8.1 k)
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 324
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   

BTW, before I get a snarky comment from Mr Sarcastic, I DID play the # posted, but I must have accidentally deleted the initial 3 when I was posting the solution.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 265
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   

Played #341136385. Got it. You guys can try #697. Not to hard but got a couple of twists to it. I can still cross the street by myself. Barely. Glad I have the Royal Scotsmans permission to participate here. Me thinks he is starting to let all of the visits to the castles in his homeland go to his head.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   

You can cross the street barely eh? Didn't know you were a streaker. Please don't post any pictures.
I did comment recently about your failing eyesight so if you get your magnifier out you'll see that it was by Loyal command. It'll be in the drawer together with the batteries for your hearing air, your false teeth, and your hairpiece.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   

Just to prove what a nice guy I am, I wish to share this game with you # 1078670976.
To reiterate for K2's benefit, that's 1078670976.
To summit up, there's snow alternative.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 325
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   

Richard, with those kind of bad puns, I think Mike and I should freeze you out, or at the very least give you the cold shoulder!
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 266
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   

An Icey stare from Mike. We here in California often bare it all. We have nothing to hide. Although the figid times are coming. Actually they have been around here for a long time.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 267
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   

I guess my eyesite is going. Frigid is the word I meant.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 326
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 2:07 am:   

No offense, Mike, but your # was easy, but Richard's, on the other hand, required an expedition of Everest proportions.
text/plainTenzing Norgay to Your...
Triple Interchange_Sir_Edmund_Hillary_1078670976.pgs (9.9 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 3:53 am:   

Well done Ken, you're certainly not past your peak, but poor old Mike admits that he's got nothing to hide!
I watched the film K2 about a week ago. If you get the chance, you should try to see it. It's OK too.
I was also reading about men who were awarded the Victoria Cross (Britain's highest military honour)and there was a Millar and a Miller amongst them.
So just you soldier on and find the lads a TI to test our metal. Tanks mate!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 7:36 am:   

Let's see how you salad dodgers get on with 887540160.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 327
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 11:37 am:   

text/plainThe title says it all
Triple Interchange_It_Ain't_Easy_887540160.pgs (7.5 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   

I thought for a while that this one was unwinnable, and as you said, it was far from easy. Well done Ken, but we are both going to have to look to our laurels. We don't want Mike to streak past us, do we?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 268
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   

Ok. Those last two numbers were were hard. I had a tough time. Now that KenM is back I will have to go out this weekend and take some pictures at the bare all bicycle club.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 2:24 am:   

That's settled it. I'm not coming stateside to hang out with that old bunch of nuts.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 4:20 am:   

Today's contribution towards a heart condition, 2041448063. Not a difficult as yesterday's one, but worthy of respect.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 328
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 9:17 am:   

You're right, Richard, that wasn't very difficult, but where Mike is going I guess you don't want any hard ones!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   

That's a bit below the belt Ken.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 269
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   

I refuse to get involved in this lengthy disscussion. Oh well. Guess I already have.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 4:38 am:   

It must be a great drawback to be tormented by both of us, but, and it's certainly a big but, we'll have to move on very soon.
Try this TI. I've played a few recently and I believe that this was one of the ones that was a bit troublesome,2065896575.
However I certainly remember 740370944 as one that gave me a lot of grief. Wouldn't it be ironic if you guys solved it pdq?
I'd appreciate your comments, even about these games.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 270
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   

Got through the 2065896575 number pretty easily. 740370944 was harder, but I made it. As you have said before. Knowing that a game is difficult to begin with, puts you on guard.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   

Well done Mike. I had a lot of trouble with 740370944, and kept having to find alternatives when I hit brick walls. Sometimes I may overlook things that you and Ken exploit to advantage. This must have been the case here because I wasn't expecting either of you to win this for a day or two anyway.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 329
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   

Congrats, Mike, because I STILL haven't won it. The first # was easy, but I'm with Richard on the second #.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 4:22 am:   

That's a relief Ken! I think that Mike is rapidly becoming the TI champion. Perhaps it all that exposure to fresh air. It's possible that we'll soon be lagging behind. Let's hope it's sufficiently far behind.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 271
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   

Forget about the fresh air. We have a lot of smoke in the air from three fires raging in the hillsides. The wind is blowing in gusts around the beach right here to 30 or 40 mph. Worse in the canyons and hills. I have the house shut up tight to keep the smoke out. As for my solving abilities they are mediocre at best.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 3:33 am:   

Hi Mike, Sorry to hear about the fires. These seem to be increasingly common in USA and Australia, with many of them having been started deliberately. Even cigarette smoke gets me coughing my lungs up, so I certainly wouldn't be able to cope with forest fires. You may be able to keep some of the smoke out, but only some of it is actually visible. I shudder to think what must be happening to all the flora and fauna.
As for you solving abilities being mediocre, what nonsense! Some of the games you've posted have been very difficult, and I can guarantee that many decent players wouldn't be able to solve them, You underestimate your capabilities mon ami.
Ken is good at TI but he's still to solve 740370944. I rest my case.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 5:05 am:   

I was chuckling like an imbecile when I discovered 1864544767. It was the ugliest looking TI I'd seen. Unfortunately it didn't live up to my expectations and threw in the towel much sooner than I'd hoped. At one point I had so many face cards it looked like a rogues gallery (or Ken's extended family).Try it anyway.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 272
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   

I agree Richard. At first glance 1864544767 looks bad. I too was surprised when it fell into place. Overnight winds around the beach here probably got up into the 50mph range or more. Don't know what that is in kpm's. All I know is it rattled everything. Right on about the smoke and the air quality. If the wind shifs just a little the heavy part of the smoke comes right over the house and nothing will stop it from getting in. One of the fires near me was set on purpose they say. Around here it doesn't help to have fire bugs wandering around. I am going out to try and get some pictures of what it is like around town.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   

Your fires made it onto the main BBC news tonight.
We hope that it doesn't get featured again because heavy rain has come to the rescue. People who start such fires should be prosecuted under terrorism legislation and be banged up for life.
Now if I was in a bad mood.......
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 273
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   

It never rains in Southern California. And if it does lets hope it's not a deluge. Houses will be sliding away into the ocean. I totally agree about putting fire bugs away for a long time.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 4:35 am:   

I can't imagine having no rain. Rain is lovely. It's just unfermented be-er.
We've had lots more TV footage of your fires, including arial shots and satellite ones. Scary stuff.
Take care with your photo attempts. I've not attempted many shots beside cliffs and waterfalls because they weren't worth risking my life for. Same applies to you mate.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 274
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   

I am to lazy to go where there is any danger. Given up walking beams to hang stuff for shows and concerts too.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 275
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   

Ok all. This has got to give you a little trouble. #707. Now for the fire report. The winds have finally eased up a little. In fact we are getting a little from the ocean. The problem is that all the smoke and ash that blew out to the ocean is now coming back. Hopefully no more houses and people will be lost.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   

Your 707 jumbo crashed and burned eventually. I'm sure Ken will have some bother with it too. I'd rate this as above mediocre, so according to your self analysis you shouldn't have been able to solve it. Gotcha!
The Californian fires have been getting major exposure here this last few days. The top news story in fact. Glad that the winds are easing, but there is more hot air flying in tomorrow we hear! Sorry George, only joking.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 276
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   

Guess you saw the play that makes #707 solvable. I new it wasn't that hard, but thought it had a good twist. If George is looking in on this forum I now understand his mistakes in certain parts of the world. Is Tony Blair around here too. He doesn't have anything to do anymore. What is strange here at the beach is how warm it is. It was almost 100 degrees yesterday and still very warm today. At least it cooled off last night.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 334
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 12:21 am:   

Hint, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 3:37 am:   

Hi Ken, Mike keeps insisting that he's not very good at this lark but it would appear he's better than he thinks. My hint would concern the 7H. Keep the 8H in column 7 free until you can get the 7H out of column 2. It was after that that I chose the 3C from column 5 to go up to the foundations.
Michael, Michael, Michael! Could the heat have anything to do with all those fires burning day and night? Betcha George will be right onto that one! Don't know where Phoney Tony has got to, but if you see him would you please tell him he can have his job back? I saw interesting TV footage yesterday re his successor, Gordon Brown. English people interviewed said that they wouldn't be voting for him because they didn't want a Scottish Prime Minister! Apparently it's OK for us to have an endless procession of English ones! No wonder he called off the election. The Scottish Nationalist Party must be delighted to witness such anti-Scottish sentiments. Scotland will be an independent country again,within my lifetime too I expect.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:14 am:   

Triple Interchange players... if you are tired of playing Triple Interchange, version 12 was just released today (see http://www.goodsol.com/download.html ).

It includes a new game Quadruple Interchange, so now you can play Interchange with 4 decks instead of just 3.

Actually, it's possible that it's easier with 4 decks. Or not. A somewhat higher percentage of the cards are in the tableau in Quadruple Interchange in comparison to Triple Interchange.

Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 277
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   

Thanks Thomas. I can barely handle 3 deck games.:-) I will give it a try.
Richard. I actually thought it was the QC play in row 2 that got me through #707. But I forget how I play a deal almost as soon as I am finished. Politics in any country seems to be the same. The INS trying to stay in and the OUTS trying to get in. Power and how how the money gets spent is the rule. Ok back to Solitaire now. I may have to have another look at #707.
Todays fire report. Better but I am starting to get a cough. We still have plenty of smoke and ash. Guess we need Bob Geldorf to organize a concert to aid us.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 278
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   

Thomas. I am having trouble getting the new version. Download hangs up when I am at the new exe. part.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 279
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   

I have version 11.0.1

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   

Mike, give it another try, it should be working, it downloaded fine for me.

Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 336
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   

Mike, you kill me! I'm STILL trying to win #707 (even after Richard's hint) and you're on here talking about how you can barely win the 3-deck games let alone the 4-deck games. There is so much sandbagging going on that you think there was flooding going on in Southern California instead of fires!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   

Sandbagging.... it that something like Coarse Fishing.... talking carp.
Ken and I think you're setting up a smoke screen. No wonder you've got a cough. Try puting some of your sandbags along the doors.
I've DL'd the new games, but into my geriatric PC. Still not made any attempt to have the new one set up. Mother is being discharged on the 31st. Maybe then I'll get my life back. Our fuel bill for the car has trebled!
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 280
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   

Thomas. Still not able to download. Not sure what is wrong. Basically says I don't have access to the exe. file.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 281
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   

KenM. I was wrong. It's not the QC. It's not playing the 10C to the foundation.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   

Ken, Here is a 707 to get you off the ground.
application/octet-stream
Triple Interchange_Sympathy_707.pgs (4.1 k)
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 337
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 6:56 pm:   

Thanks, Richard. BTW, no comment on the Dorothy Parker poem I posted elsewhere? I figure a well-read (or is that well-red?) person such as yourself would have some snappy comment!
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 338
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 1:43 am:   

Richard, I had gotten to that point a long time ago, but after trying every avenue (that I can think of), I think I'm going to need a more advanced clue, or I'm going to have to drink the purple Kool-Aid.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 3:53 am:   

Hi Ken, Perhaps I deliberately ignored your poem in an attempt to drive you over the edge, or perhaps I simply forgot. Good little poem though, and one I'd not heard before.
I'd forgotten how complex the 707 game was until I tried replaying it from the "hint" position. I got into a total muddle. I'd intended posting a better one today anyway.
Mike's a mediocre player you know. Butler wouldn't melt in his mouth.
application/octet-streamSuicide is dangerous
Triple Interchange_Deepest Sympathy_707.pgs (4.8 k)
Patricia Traynier (Trisha)
Intermediate Solitaire Player
Username: Trisha

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 7:03 am:   

#707 was a tricky one,but I finally got it.
Trisha

Post Number: 1188
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 8:36 am:   

Mike,
Maybe there is a firewall or something blocking you. Try downloading directly from http://www.goodsol.com/files/gdsol.exe

Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:42 am:   

I hope the irony of a firewall is not lost on you Mike.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 282
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   

I will take it to HEARTH. Thomas. I will turn off all firewalls and try again. Now that the winds have died down I should be safe.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 283
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   

Thomas. Turned off Windows firewall and PC-Illin firewall same thing happens. Download stops at C:\ProgramFiles\goodsol\goodsol.exe. I am sure it is something here but can't figure it out yet.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 284
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   

A little more info. Delete file failed. code 5.

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   

Mike,

OK, then this has nothing to do with the download, its during the install. An Error 5 means that Windows cannot replace a file that is in use. Close all running applications before running the install (most especially, close Pretty Good Solitaire - you can't replace it when it is running).
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 285
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   

Thanks Thomas. That was indeed the problem. Knew you could figure it out if I gave you the correct information.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 345
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 1:42 am:   

Ok, Richard, what am I doing wrong? (And so you don't take license (or licence) I mean specifically with this game?)
text/plainLost my touch?
Triple Interchange_best_effort_740370944.pgs (5.8 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 3:42 am:   

Hi Ken,
This is nothing to worry about. This is merely a sign of your advancing years and your receding hairline. Your brain functions are in decline as cells die and are not replaced. Given the rate of depreciation in your case, where cells appear to be deserting you in huge numbers, you may still have a year or two left in which a reasonable degree of cohesive thought is possible.
After that I suspect they will send you to a nursing home, sit you in a corner, and feed you with a spoon.
P.G.S. Progressively Growing Senile?
Have a nice day.
application/octet-stream
Triple Interchange_Where am I_707.pgs (5.8 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1157
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 3:54 am:   

My nurse has just pointed out that I posted the wrong game. Is this an epidemic? Can you catch it through the ether?
What day is it? Who are you? Please don't hit me again.
application/octet-streamShot myself in the foot
Triple Interchange_Ouch_740370944.pgs (5.6 k)
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 346
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 4:27 am:   

"Please don't hit me again"? I guess with your personality, you must say that a lot!
P.S. Thanks for the help.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 11:05 am:   

I've achieved my objective if a wry smile appears on your face when you see that there is a new post from me. I always eagerly await responses from Mike and yourself in particular.
"The Banter" is a tradition in Glasgow, but I'd have to be far more careful there than I am here, or someone might indeed administer the Severe Malkie.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 347
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   

According to the Urban Dictionary, "Severe Malkie" means: The art of slashing someones face with a blade or sharp cutting implement.

Sharp cutting implement? Like a broken b eer bottle? What kind of p ubs do you crawl to, Richard???
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   

The definition may or may not be totally accurate.
In the rare circumstances that I've heard it, it implied a good hiding.
I can honestly say that during all the decades that I've visited bars in Scotland I've rarely seen a fight. Slashings were a phenomenon of the 50's, when razor gangs were the scourge of Glasgow. These days you are far more likely to get a Glasgow Kiss, but not in any of the bars that gentlemen like my good self frequent.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 302
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   

Know you are all busy trying the very hard games but if you get a chance try #713. I don't think it is winnable. Might have to add it to the list.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   

Hi Mike, I'm pretty sure that this is the worste one we've found yet. Bung it on the list. (It's 01.22am)
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 303
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   

It's on the list.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 11:36 am:   

#713 is on the wrong list Mike! It is winnable but extremely difficult. I finally got column 6 cleared and it was relatively straightforward from there. As a major clue, keep both threes of clubs free on the foundations to accept fours from columns 6 and 2. Good luck. You'll need it.
If Ken or yourself need a partial solution, just let me know.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 358
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 11:40 am:   

Richard, If you at one time gave up on it, then I know I will need a jump start! (But I'll try it first.)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   

It's a good one! In my defence Ken it was after 1am, but it's Achilles Heel is very difficult to find. You don't need to be too bright to work out that the spades are the biggest obstacle. Early on in the game it is very tempting to build up spades in column one. Put the nine on the ten, but no more!
Even with my clues it should stiil give you a bit of trouble.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 304
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   

Richard. I am confused. As usual. There are plenty of 3C's available. Two are in the stack and one is in the tableau. I held off the 9S when I was working on it. But still got trapped. Will continue on.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   

You can put two threes of clubs up onto the foundations, but the fours that go on them come from columns 2 and 6, and not from the stock.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 305
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   

Right. Got that. But still can't get past having to play some hearts and spades to open up the tableau.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   

MY APOLOGIES GENTLEMEN! The 8S also comes from the stock onto the 9 in column one. Then the 7 & 8S moves from column 6 onto it.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 306
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   

That was what I was going to try next. Along with keeping the QS clear.
Patricia Traynier (Trisha)
Intermediate Solitaire Player
Username: Trisha

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   

Just got #713, thanks to help from Richard.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 307
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   

Ok I got it. Not sure what I did. Seemed like the same thing I had been doing. Sure wish I had a better memory.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   

Well done Trisha. It was a great game.
Mike, why don't you save your games just before the end? You can then replay them endlessly and see all your moves.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 308
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   

I do. Just don't feel like going back. Ok. I will just this once.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 309
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   

#715 is now giving me problems. Figure you will solve it quickly. It's time I go to bed anyway.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 11:56 am:   

715 is another good one. I took me quite a while to clear a column.It was column seven I emptied forst.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 310
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   

I also got column seven cleared. But having trouble finishing. Hopefully I am more awake now than last night. Yawn.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 311
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   

I got it. Just had to not play a couple of cards.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 316
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   

#747 doesn't seem solvable. Have a look.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1230
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   

It's plane to see that this jumbo should be put in the trunk with the other unwinnables.
Could you please email me Mike, plus Ken, plus Maria, plus Audrey (who has been AWOL for a long time). Vista assured me that my contacts had been transferred and updated. But guess what?

Should Vista be added to the list of words banned in the forum?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 317
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   

I was finally right about a deceased quacker. I really thought you might find a way to solve it. Email on the way. Vista should be banned.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 327
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   

#780 looks bad. I can't find very many plays. See what you think. Also take a look at 770. I got it but seem to remember it had a little bit of thought involved.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   

Hi Mike, I got the last column in 780 cleared pretty quickly. Then it just gave up. Will try your other one next.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   

Column 8 opens the door for #770. 780 was a far better one though.
Ken Millar has been awol here for a while. Do you suppose he's busy helping Santa?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 328
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 12:09 am:   

All this Christmas stuff is making me dimmer than normal. #780 was not that much. I thought I had worked on that last column and it would not break. Oh well back to putting up more lights.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   

I'm not exactly politically correct at the best of times, but apparently your last post is now considered "likely to offend". Some PC halfwits have decreed that we should now say and write Xmas, as Christmas may offend some minority groups. Christmas, Christmas, Christmas, Christmas! Have you ever heard anything so idiotic. Maybe we should rewrite the Bible next.
OK, take a break from your illuminations. I have it on good authority that your steet is now visible from space.
Give TI 1228514432. You'll need to be careful but it's an enjoyable little number.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 329
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 12:47 am:   

Oh well. I can't change now. I am living in the past. At least I think I am. My memory isn't very good. Give #782 a try. I hope it proves more difficult than the other two. Happy 14 days before that Holiday that we can't mention. Going to work on your # now.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 330
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 1:35 am:   

Got your #. Pretty tricky. Long live Billy Connoly.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 331
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 1:37 am:   

Oops. It's gettting late. Connolly.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1262
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   

Billy won't mind you spelling his name wrong now that you've reincarnated him.
#782 had me in all sorts of trouble but I cracked it eventually. How did you get on with it? Ken is going to hate you. Roll on that holiday. Christ I wish I could remember its name.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 387
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   

I'm glad you guys miss me! I flew up to Iowa to drive my parents back to Florida. They will be staying with me for 3 months in the wintertime. All I have been doing for the past week is chopping ice and shovelling snow. I'm sure you're used to it, Richard, but me and Mike are wimps. (Oh, my back!!!)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   

yeah I suppose we could concede that we miss you.... a little.... occasionally. It's like not knowing where Osama Bin laden is. It is of some concern. We like to know what the pair of you are up to.
I regret to say that snow is becoming quite a rare commodity in Scotland and that only today Glen Coe Ski Centre went into receivership..... again! Same story with the other three. In serious trouble. We've had two light snow showers so far this winter, so shovelling snow is rarely required. It hurts my back a little too when I put my hand into my hip pocket to pay the local kids to clear it.
How many miles between the two homes?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 333
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 12:59 am:   

Give #783 a try. Please no snow for me. I have shoveled a bit in my time. (watch the comments guys) And I can live without it. Our snow resorts have some snow and they make more when the weather stays cold. We are expecting a little more rain next week so the mountains should get some more. I will stay home and look at it on the mountain tops. Going to watch the Billy Connolly Memorial film festival on TV now.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 4:56 am:   

#783 is another good one. The cards eventually shot into place like xxxx off a shiny shovel.
I've not mentioned snow so far (!), but in rural areas it provides valuable employment and can also attract a great many visitors to an area and boost the local economy. The poor guy at Glen Coe yesterday was lamenting that even when they get snow, many people still fly to Switzerland to ski. $40 each way. Something far wrong with air fares. No wonder global warming is changing our weather.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 334
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   

Good grief. $80 to Switzerland and back. I am living in the wrong part of the world. We can't fly next door for that. Well my wife can fly to the mall for a sale for free so I guess it's not that bad. #783 is like a lot of the games. Once you find the chink in its armor it falls apart. I did have some trouble with the end game as I remember.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 339
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   

Give #805 a try. It gave me some trouble but I finally got it. You all will do it in about 20 mins.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1308
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 5:23 am:   

You were 4 minutes out with your time Mike. A strange game. It was reluctant to give me an empty column until very late in the game.

Remember. It's not about time, and "A gentleman takes his time".
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 341
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   

I am a Brute.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 342
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   

Try #808. I think there is one play that you will have to watch for.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1311
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   

In fact you are a :- Brute like M. (anagram).
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 344
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   

You are too clever. Now go out in the rain and take some more pictures. I thought I told you how to sneak pictures in unautorized places.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1314
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   

Go out in the rain? What am I, a duck?
Liz bought me a new camera for the big "60". It has cornered the market on sneaky. It has a special "museum" mode in which it goes onto low light photography and switches off all camera sounds. It is 8 megapixels, and has an 18x optical zoom plus a 5x digital zoom. Couple that to an anti-shake facility (in case I have the odd beverage), and I should be a bigger menace than I am now. Fujifilm S8000 in case you want to google it.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 345
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 11:15 am:   

I guess in Scotland they only celebrate birthdays every two years. I wish my Nikon had the stablelizing feature. My Son's Sony has it. Sounds like we should be seeing some pictures of hidden Scotland soon.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   

Now now Brutelike. I reached 60 just last week. I've been claiming to be 60 for almost a year though. It started by accident when I got reduced entry into a stately home, but then I started exploiting it for taking out subscriptions etc. The beauty of it was that if just one of you is 60, both of you get the reduced price.
I guess they just take one look at you and assume you're at least 65.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 395
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   

Waitaminnit, Mike. Harrassing Richard is my job!! (But that was a good one!) Happy Birthday, Richard!
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 348
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   

I am terrible at math. I meant a birthday every six months. You do a better job than I do Ken. But it takes more than one to deal with Richard. I tried an anagram of Richards name but it came out something like "hand me a dram" or something.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1318
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   

For my anagram you couldn't go far wrong with "enriched charm" but I suspect you were looking for something less flattering.
According to Mike's maths, if I had a birthday every six months. I'd actually only be 30. So how come there's a grannie in my bed?
Incidentally Mike, #808 gave me more bother than 805.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 349
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   

Ok. I know my math is bad. But if you had 2 birthdays a year you should be 120yrs old. Which was where I was going with the joke. But it doesn't now. I got 4yrs older just figuring it out.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1319
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   

If I started off having two birthdays a year, by the time I had lived for 120 months, someone could ask me how old I was and I would answer truthfully that I was 20. You can test this out on a dog. Just ask one how old it is and if it answers "14", it's really only 2. Conversely if I had a birthday every two years, by the time I was sixty I'd be dead. The government would save a fortune on old age pensions.
You're going to be mulling this over in your head all night. Job done!
Our queen has two birthdays every year, her official one, and her genuine one. It's just a cynical ploy two get double the amount of presents. That's why she's so rich.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 350
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   

I am over it already. And I have been to the Queens official birthday parade. But have never been invited to her genuine one. And you are still OLD. But a year younger than I so I guess you are doing ok.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 396
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 12:25 am:   

How about, "Dr. Rich Enema, C.H."??? It seems to fit your personality, Richard!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 4:01 am:   

At least that would imply that I'M not full of it Ken. Got you doing anagrams now! Your enlightenment is progressing satisfactorily. You are indeed becoming ENRICHED.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 5:25 am:   

You'll recall that I christened Ken Blackwell Sir Ken. I've now decided to elevate your own status. You are now a monarch.
King.... "Mankier the II"

Isn't that just a "Killer Man"?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 354
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   

See what you think of #824. I was working on it last night and was getting nowhere. Started again today and finally got it. A bit more awake I guess.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 4:33 am:   

Sorry Mike, I must have overlooked this one.
I ran through it slowly and carefully because of what you said, and quickly sussed out that taking the 2D onto the last clumn was a mistake.
Refusing it allowed me to get column one cleared when I played it the second time. A good game.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 355
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   

You have been busy solving or trying to solve those other games. I had another good game at #828 or #829 I think. I have tried the other games you have been playing but get to many interruptions around here to really work on them. Besides I have no concentration left in my tiny little brain.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 357
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   

Also try #832. It has a little twist to it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1345
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   

All three were worthwhile, but 829 got me into a lot of bother.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 374
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   

Richard. After you get settled back in and take care of other business give #915 and #922 a try. I thought they were good ones.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   

Thanks Mike. Two good games. I got both of them. The first one gave me the most problems.
Have got some good photos from our latest hols including quite a few forbidden fruits. Will upload asap.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 375
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   

Looking forward to the pictures. Glad you are both back safe and sound.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 380
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 12:32 am:   

Have a go at #957. I can't figure out if I was just slow getting it or that it was hard.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 4:36 am:   

There is a perfectly good reason for this Mike. It's called Galloping Old-Age Syndrome. It's just your dementia that's stopping you remembering that.
Joking apart, it was very tricky. I played it very cautiously and undid repeatedly in the first run through when I uncovered a duplicate card that I'd already taken from the stock. It was one of those games where it was more important what I didn't play to the foundations than what I did. I got column 7 cleared in about 10 minutes, but hit more and more problems after that. I was down to 15 cards left in the stock and I still had four aces buried. An excellent game. Anyone who solves it should be pretty (good) pleased with themselves.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 381
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   

It's good to have a little reinforcement sometimes. I just wasn't sure if it was me or a hard game. I am finding I am getting a lot of brain locks lately on things I usually find very easy. Took an on-line test for a tele trivia game the other day and locked up on things that I know easily. Must be time to be put out to pasture.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   

The key word there was "trivia", of no importance. I get patches of that type of mind blank too. Then maybe an hour later when I'm watching TV the name or whatever will jump into my head when I wasn't even thinking about it. The stuff is still there. It just takes longer to percolate to he surface. Incidentally,please don't post any comments on the waist high pics. I don't really want to draw any attention to them.
Did you cop the One O'Clock Gun firing sequence? I was quite pleased with that.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 382
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   

You did a great job on the firing. Looked like the first salvo shook you up a bit but you held steady after that. That sequence should be in the travel books. Heard some interesting spin on why England taking over Scotland, Ireland and Wales was a good thing. It let Great Britain become a world power. We will have to discuss this in some emails.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1451
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 4:54 am:   

Those bright boys south of the border are now considering getting rid of our Scottish banknotes next. They never seem to learn. More and more Scots are in favour of independence. This may be the last straw.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1459
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 6:11 am:   

Just so that Ken doesn't get the impression that I'm picking on him exclusively, here is a little pearl that I dredge up during my recent eclipse.
See what you make of it Mike.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 385
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 9:57 am:   

No problem. More must have been blacked out than your computer. Seriously though. It had me confused for a few minutes. Too many choices for my tiny little brain. But I finally made the right ones and got it. I have almost finished the first 1000 TI's. We will have to see if there is one more stumper left.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 438
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:49 am:   

Mike, After playing 1000 games of TI, you are now on a level with Richard. So can one of you geniuses give me a clue? Which column do you clear first?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 391
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:29 am:   

looks like I cleared column 9.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 439
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:52 am:   

Thanks, anyway, Mike, but I got it. You know us young 'uns. It just takes us a little longer than you old folks. (BTW, you're up pretty early for California time?)
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 392
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   

You are right. I was up much to early. I had planned on playing golf. When i do I like to be the first out. Often teeing off in the dark. I seem to play just as well in the dark as I do in the light. That should open up some good comments. Anyway I slept in, but not as long as I had hoped. I have some more errands to run today then I will try Richards Corona numbers.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1468
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   

Yes Mike,teeing off in the dark is a good idea. That way you may get a full round in before sunset. Maybe Stevie Wonder will give you a game. Perhaps you could beat him if you got some luminous paint to help you to find your balls in the dark.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 393
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   

I was ready for that one. I have GOLF balls that light up when you hit them. I do hope I never put one up in a tree. It would drive me even crazier than I am already to have the thing up there blinking at me. BTW. Stevie Wonder would win.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1469
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   

It would be far more entertaining if they swore at you every time you hit them. You could attach a swear box to your bag and pay a dollar per cuss. An average round wouldn't cost you much more than a hundred provided that it was only the balls that did the cussing. Otherwise the wheels on your trolley may start making furrows.
We're off first thing tomorrow. No idea where we're going. Back in a week or so. Love to Stevie.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 394
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   

If this get through before you go, have a good time. Shingles can get painful. So make sure Liz is ready.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 2:17 am:   

That was the reason the doc signed her of work. She's a tough old stick though and she's coping well with it.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 404
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   

Looks like #999 is unwinnable. So I will move on to #1000.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1477
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 11:10 am:   

Yes, it'sa bad one all right. Fittingly 999 is the UK phone number for the emergency services.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 447
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   

How's Liz?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   

Who?
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 449
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   

I was afraid of that. You got so drunk at the pub, that you left her behind!!! Nice going, Richard!
(And before YOU say it, not only did you leave her behind, but you left the rest of her, too!)
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 408
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   

How quickly one forgets. What did you do leave her on a ferry. Anyway, the first 1000 TI's on done. Unsolvables were. #27/424/578/590/688/747/955 and 999. I have already started on the next 1000. Should be done by Christmas. Unless Richard gives me another puzzler and then goes on vacation again.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1480
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 3:27 am:   

Liz is practically better although still signed off work. That makes no sense as busy doctor's surgeries must be an ideal way to meet people. The pain can persist in some people for years. Some of s are already used to an enduring pain though eh?
Well done with the first 1000 Mike. That's a very high percentage compared to the 50% in the rules. Sure you didn't cheat? (Joke!)
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 410
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 11:49 am:   

Of course I did. It was an "Experiment". I will now lose 8 games to make it even. Lets see, I only managed to win about half of them with your help and the other folks. So I guess my real percentage would be around 45%.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   

The theory is that you'd get 500 losers per thousand. I think we can safely say that if we persist for long enough we can win nearly every game. 99.2% gives us a phenominal target to beat. Go for it Mike.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 412
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   

I am up to the challenge. But my brain isn't. One more thousand and that's it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1488
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 5:19 am:   

337762913 was quite a good game I thought.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1489
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 11:18 am:   

You have this theory that everybody is out to get you. That can't possibly be true Mike. You haven't met everybody yet.Your theory could well be reinforced if I had a go too; if I tried to demerit your 1000 TI's. As if I would.
However, the statement you made about the unwinnable TI numbers is not true. One of them has fallen on it's sword. I could be an utter swine and not tell you which one ...... but it's 955.
Have a nice day Michael.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 451
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   

application/octet-streamBenefit of the doubt?
Triple Interchange_Misprint_955.pgs (7.8 k)

Richard, 955 was EASY. Is Mike's paranoia getting to him, and therefore slipping?

P.S. to Mike: Just because your paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you!
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 415
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   

I must have put the wrong number down. Now I have to start all over from #1 and see what other errors I made. I hear you all wispering behind my back out there. :-)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1491
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   

We'll have him in an institution in no time. What are friends for?
In his defence, I think that 955 may have been a typo. It wasn't mentioned previously as unwinnable....... and if YOU could win it!!!!
Wouldn't it be nice if the pair of you landed up in adjacent beds?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 416
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   

I had #955 solved in stats. Not sure why it was on my list. We have a lot of nice institutions around here. I should take up drinking so I can check into one. Never mind. Richard is right. I'll get there with his help and save the cost of buying all that Whisky. (did I spell that right this time Richard)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1492
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   

Yes you spelled whisky correctly Mike, although the Irish would beg to differ. An odd one now and again is OK but don't make a hobby of it. I actually don't drink that much these days. Six or eight pints per night if I'm on holiday, otherwise I can go weeks without.
A fact for you! Mad people don't believe they are mad, sane people often do. A bit eccentric is just about right. I'd hate it we were boring and predictable. Just ignore what everyone else advises you Mike. Just listen to me and the little voices. You should build a tree house. A red one.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1498
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   

I've got a great little TI for you guys. Please don't fall out of your tree, but it's #27. People ARE out to get you Mike.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 418
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 12:02 am:   

Now wait a minute. You agreed a few months back that #27 was unwinnable. So I wrote it down. You set me up. You solved it back then and then sprung it on me. I knew it was a plot! Hoot, Hoot. Well I solved it this time. Of course knowing it was winnable made me keep at it. How many more are you holding back? I knew Mechen was Scottish for Leprechaun.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1499
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 4:00 am:   

Since you posted the list of "unwinnables" I've been replaying them over and over. I can't make any progress with any of the rest of them though. If I've not got anybody's problem games to tackle, this is the kind of sick thing that I resort to.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 420
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 10:49 am:   

Maybe you need another hobby. Have you ever thought about being an Olympic Javelin Catcher. Or you could raise tropical fish. Hoot.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1504
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   

Could you demonstrate the technique for me? Re the fish,tanks, but no tanks.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 429
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   

See if #1031 can give you a little challenge.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1526
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   

Was that game as difficult as I think it was? I nearly wore out the undo button. I'd two columns clear ar one point and couldn't make any further progress, so i'd to go way back and make some different choices. I have saved it just in case you didn't bother. Perhaps someone may need clues. You've certainly mastered TI.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 431
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   

I am glad I gave you a good one. I think I did save it.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 446
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   

Here is what I think is an interesting hand. At least it is an interesting number. #1066. It's not difficult but it was fun. Compared to those unsolvable ones that you keep at because you think it is winnable. :-)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1581
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   

1066 huh? You could have someone's eye out with a date like that.
Good game Mike. Like an old pair of slippers. Nice to get back into.
Do you want to play the entire second 1000 yourself or would you like a hand?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 447
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   

I don't care. If someone wants to play along that's fine. If they want to go from 2000 backwards that would be good too. I have no way of knowing which of these hands has been played before. Most of the numbers I have seen are something like xxxxxx or more. Or we could do odds and evens. Doesn't matter. 1066 might have been a good year if you were a Norman. Seems like I saw the grave of somebody famous at Westminster Cathedral. Can't remember who it was.
paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Pondpaul

Post Number: 413
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   

Hi Mike
probably one of these
The full list of Kings and Queens buried inside the Abbey is as follows: Anne, Charles II, Edward the Confessor, Edward I, Edward III, Edward VI, Elizabeth I, George II, Henry III, Henry V, Henry VII, James I, Mary I, Mary II, Mary Stewart, Richard II and William III.

Poet’s Corner
One of the most popular parts of the Abbey is Poet’s Corner – the burial place of the nation’s greatest playwrights. You can see graves and memorials to Geoffrey Chaucer, Samuel Johnson and Charles Dickens (who was apparently buried here against his wishes – on the orders of Queen Victoria).

Other writers include Milton, T S Eliot, Tennyson, Wordsworth, Rudyard Kipling, Dylan Thomas, Jane Austin and the Brontë Sisters. William Shakespeare and Robert Burns are buried elsewhere, but have grand tablets to commemorate them.

Famous politicians include William Pitt and Gladstone. There are also statues and memorials to Lord Palmerston, Winston Churchill and Benjamin Disraeli.

Famous scientists include Isaac Newton, James Maxwell, Charles Darwin and Michael Faraday.

Pondpaul
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 448
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   

Probably Harold II. Although I thought he was cut up into pieces. Guess if they could find them
they could still bury the parts.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1582
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 7:02 am:   

Maybe Charles Dickens was still alive when Queen Vic wanted to bury him.
It didn;t take me long to come unstuck working down from 2000. Try 1992. I seem to have been at it for ever but can't find a way through. Perhaps I'm overlooking something.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1583
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 10:00 am:   

Some news. Some good, some bad; mainly bad.
The good news is that 1992 is winnable.
The bad news is that it's your turn to try and win it. I nominate this game as absolutely the most difficult winning TI we have ever encountered. You may want to enlist some help.
People are out to get you Mike. It doesn't matter how long it takes them. They'll persist.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 479
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 10:13 am:   

Clue, please? Like what column do I clear first?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1584
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 10:38 am:   

Remember me sayng that the news was mainly bad? Well that's the rest of the bad news .... no clues! Well not until I tip Mike over the edge anyway. (Only joking Mike).

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration