HELP!!! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » Free Cell # 178 & 454 » HELP!!! « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Midge Swanson (Kim43)
Junior Solitaire Player
Username: Kim43

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   

EEK! I just opened a file w/ a solution to a game & I might as well be reading Greek (although, I'd do better w/ Greek as I took 2 years of it in College! LOL). I need someone to instruct me on how to read the solution!

Thx~

Kim
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 344
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   

Richard, Aren't you the expert on this????
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   

I relinquished the honorary post after I uploaded my PICTORIAL DOWNLOAD GUIDE, which I parked in the "Is It Winnable" section.
Please let me know if it makes sense to you Midge.
Midge Swanson (Kim43)
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   

Hi, Richard ~

I must be doing something wrong. (NOT surprising!) I don't see how the solution helps me solve the problematic game correctly, even after downloading it! Still need help, I guess!

Thanx ~

Midge
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   

../18/FreeCell_ 178_won-3870.unk
Midge, All you are looking for from an uploaded solution is the above link, which you get from clicking open the uploaded file and looking up into the address bar on your browser. Highlight it and click on "Copy".
You need to stay online and go back into PGS and open a game of Freecell. With that open, with the cards of that particular game in front of you on your screen, you ignore it completely. Look up to the top LHS of that screen and click where it says "File". The menu drops down and you select "Open game". NOW you paste the above link into the box in that window where your cursor will already be flashing. Now click on "Open" and the game will run.
I'd hoped by uploading an illustrated guide I might escape from having to go over these instructions again and again. I have already suggested that PGS themselves should provided a more sophistocated version given the computed expertise that they possess. No matter how much time I spend on this matter, my illustrated guide is as good as I can manage.
Please get back to me again if you still haven't got it to work. Don't give up, because I won't.
Midge Swanson (Kim43)
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 11:39 am:   

Hi, Richard ~

I understand how to download the solution & have done so for #454 & 178. However, it just ran through the end of the game to the solution. That doesn't help me learn how to solve it myself. I guess I thought that when someone gave me a solution I'd have a step-by-step process given to me that would walk me through the play of the game in order to correctly solve it myself. See what I'm saying?? Is there anything like that available. I feel as if I'm letting someone else solve it for me when I'd rather learn to solve it myself.

Midge
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 11:55 am:   

Hi Midge, When you get the uploaded game to run on your own PC,in this case Freecell, go up to the top left of that screen and click on "File" and then "Save as" in the drop down menu. This will give you a copy on your own PC. Now, at any time you want, you can open up Freecell and ignore the game that's on the screen. Just go up left again and click "File" followed by "Open game". Highlight whatever game number you've got saved there and click on "Open".
That game will run on your PC to the point where whoever uploaded it had left it. Then you can click on "Undo" as often as you want and progress the game backwards, right to the very start if you want. Then click "Redo" and you can watch every move that was made to win it.
Hope this is helpful.
I sometimes wonder if my grey hairs are feeding off my grey matter.
Midge Swanson (Kim43)
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   

Richard ~

Thanks so much! I never thought of "undo"ing & "redo"ing. Now that I think about it, it's logical...but then, whoever said I was logical???

Love your comment about the gray hair...that explains a lot about my mother-in-law who was snow white & a little strange when we got married 40 years ago. She's a total dingbat now!! Even my hubby says so! NOW I understand. LOL

Thx, again ~

Midge
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 3:04 am:   

Well done Midge.You got there in the end.I can still do most things I could do 40 years ago, but it just takes me longer. We recently bought my 90 year old mother a digi-box because the UK is going to stop transmitting analogue TV signals quite soon. We spent HOURS explaining what she needed to do to watch her TV,and thought we'd cracked it. I phoned her when we got home,to find out how she was managing, and she told me that she was getting a lousy picture.It transpired that she was using her old remote control when she was wanting to watch her "old" programmes, (thus switching off the digi-box). It took forever to get it into her skull that the channel numbers 1 - 9 etc were the same on both remotes,and that she just needed to use the new one.
God alone knows what I would be like in another 10 years,far less another 30. I'm bad enough at 60. I hope I'm still sharp enough to exploit the situation,so that I can wind up my family. "Oh for ----- sake grandad. That's a micro wave,not a TV." Who said growing old couldn't be fun?
Midge Swanson (Kim43)
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:44 am:   

OH, do I ever agree!! Whoever said "life begins @ 40" hadn't gotten there yet! W/ the advanced arthritis of the spine & degenerative disc disease I have @ 64, I don't even want to THINK about 90!! My Mom's 86 & SHE'S younger than I am! (One of my docs told me I have the spine of a 90 something, so I guess that's a medically documented fact!)

We're heading to Florida today for a final reprieve from the cold before winter sets in. At least I only feel 64 down there...not 94!

Thanks for all your help & I'll be back in about 10 days, probably asking for help w/ more free cell games. LOL

Midge ;o)
Midge Swanson (Kim43)
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 9:49 am:   

Hi, Richard ~

I'm baaack ;o) I had to go back to a prior set point on my PC & lost the download of game 178. I'm sitting here trying to download it again & I'm getting nowhere fast. I have a feeling I just have a mental block on what I need to do. I understand everything I have to do once it's on my PC, but I can't seem to get it there. I've right clicked on the link & "saved as...", but when I try to open it from w/in freecell, it's not there. The one game that I do see when I click "open" is in a location that I can't get to by the path options given me when I click "save as". I hope I'm making myself clear!

I'm usually pretty PC savvy for an old lady, but I feel like a total novice right now! HELP!!
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 320
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 12:52 am:   

Hi Midge. Richard is off on holiday. Running wild all over Scotland. He should be back next week. Find the game you want here in the forum. I assume it was posted here. Then right click on the file name. Copy the shortcut. Then keeping the forum open go to the game you are playing. Go to the menu and click on open game. Then paste the game info into the space provided.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1316
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 7:53 am:   

Apologies Midge. I've just found this post.
I think that this is where you've gone wrong. You right click and select "Copy" mot "Save as".
Then it's just a csae of staying online and pasting the copied link into the correct box.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 346
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 11:21 am:   

When I right click on the solution I get the option "Copy Shortcut" I then click on that. "Save As' I only use to save a game I am playing.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration