Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Triple Interchange ( XI ) Richard Mechen 4-06-08  1:22 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 480
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   

Richard, I understand you don't want to post any clues for Mike since you want to re-assert your dominance as top dog in TI, but we both know I'm a little puppy! So, e-mail a clue at rallim80@peoplepc.com. I've been working on it for 2 hours and my best score so far is 39. BTW, Mike has not responded to your taunts. Do you think he has a life outside of PGS? Perish the thought!
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 449
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   

I am stuck so far also. Just when I think I've got something going it dead ends. I probably need to take a break. I can't even think of a hint that would help. It must some card some card/cards that you have to hang on to. But so far I thought I had tried everything. Oh well back to work.
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 1585
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   

OK Ken, I'll email you some clues. One won't cut it! I've no aspirations to be top dog in TI or anything else. I just want a quiet life these days. The reason I didn't post any clues is because it took me hours to crack this monster and I can't guage how well I've done. Unless other players crash and burn, or post solutions or comments, it's just another TI.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 450
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   

I got column six cleared. Moving on.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 451
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   

Yahoo, I got it. That was a tough one. Good grief. About 3hrs I think.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 481
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   

Mike, You da man! Richard told me to concentrate on getting column 7 cleared. Now I'm really confused!
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 482
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   

Hooray!!! I'm confused no longer. I cleared column 7 per Richard's instructions, and the rest was easy! Thanks, RM!!!!!!!!!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1586
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   

Well done guys! I told Ken in my email that I hoped you would get it Mike. I'm glad that you both reiforced my opinion. But we must move on. Ha!
1986 and 1987 gave me a bit of trouble too. See what you make of them.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 452
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   

I probably miscounted columns. I need to be more careful. Richard, did you miss my Cryptic in Unlimited.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1587
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   

Saw it. Thought about it a lot but couldn't figure out the meaning. Not even sure if it was an 11 letter word, or more than one word totalling 11 letters.With crosswords you have to get into the compilers way of thinking. I hadn't a whole lot to go on there. Let's start with the reptile part and I'll have another go at it. I was thinking BOA or ASP but not getting very far.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1588
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   

Thick or what? Rattlesnake.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 453
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   

Well done. That's what I think of that last hard TI. Got 1986 and 1987.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 483
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   

Of course it's easy for me to say since I didn't get the solution from scratch, but I don't think 1992 was harder than "The Black Death". I worked on that one for a week, and even with copious clues, I had to succumb, and look at the posted answer.

How was 1999? Are we going to party like it's 1999? Any Prince fans out there?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 454
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 11:50 pm:   

Ok, here's one from me. #1074. It's got one little twist. Not to hard.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1590
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 4:41 am:   

There may be some Prince fans out there, but they've all changed their names so you can't find them in a phone book. "Purple Rain" would be a good name for our last little number.
"It never meant to cause you any sorrow"
"It never meant to cause you any pain"
1999 was uneventful, and I'll maybe have to reaquaint myself with "The Black Death" and "Auld Nick" before I can make any comparisons re difficulty. We certainly did dredge up some ripe ones eh?
Will have a bash at 1074 now Mike.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 5:58 am:   

Ken, if you're playing 1074, watch out for sandbaggers. They just creep up on you and "wallop!". They lull you into a false sense of security by telling you the sandbag is "not too hard". Huh!
I studied 1074 for a minute or two before I turned the first card, and I thought I'd identified the most likely sandtraps. I just got mental pictures of Mike trapped in a succession of them, you know, like he usually does wnen he pretends he's playing golf. Take care.There are more hidden beyond the horizon. If you fail to spot them you will be in deep "sand".
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1593
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   

1969,1970,1971,1974 and 1978 are all worth playing. One or two may not be very obliging. Post your opinions please.
Mike, are you aware that you can put your stats for TI into numerical order? Just open your stats and click on the "game #" tab. That way my out of sequence games won't affect what you're up to.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 455
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   

I did not know that. I will do it. I will have a go at the numbers you posted.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 456
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   

#1074 had me fooled for a while. It finally dawned on me to wait on the QS.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 457
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 12:40 am:   

Ok, I am getting TI crazy. Can't keep the numbers straight anymore. I played #1969 and #1970 with #1970 being the hardest. Also played #1971/74 and #1978. So I think the above post should be about #1974. I am on #1075. You all have to realize. I have no head for numbers. Math is a mystery to me. So keeping track of all these numbers makes me even more of loony than I already am. Time for bed. I will probably have a bunch of numbers attacking me in my sleep.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1594
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 5:17 am:   

Thanks Mike, I knew there was at least one hard one in there. By the way, was it you who put the numb in number?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1595
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 6:02 am:   

I had trouble with 1962 and abandoned it about 1am. Perhaps I was just in dire need of my beauty sleep. I got it out today. See what you think.
Won't be able to get many TI's disposed of today. Mother needs shopping so we're off to Aberdeen. What fun we will have!
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 485
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:24 am:   

Richard, I feel your pain. 4 more days! (Not that I'm counting!)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1596
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:32 am:   

Are you driving them home Ken? Since they've been driving you crazy, surely it's your turn.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 486
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:54 am:   

No, my Iowa brother is flying down tomorrow to drive them back.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 458
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   

Got #1962. It was difficult. I managed to clear the column in the center with the KD at the top. don't remember exactly what column # it was. Also had to ho,ld off playing a 3C near the end. You all know why the comma is in there.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1597
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   

No we don't know why you put a comma in ho1d.
Ho1d on though, you must have a reason, so I'll put my criticism on ho1d meantime. I'll just ho1d on until I hear back from you.
Ken, are you sure you will be able to ho1d out for another 4 days? Not that you'r counting. Are you going to ho1d a party?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 459
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   

I wonder if whold will work. Hope your Mom was doing ok. I would imagine going into Aberdeen would be a lot like my driving into downtown Los Angeles from here. Could take 45 minutes or 2 hours or more.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1598
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 3:04 pm:   

Ho1d on Mike, what was wrong with ho1d?
Most times we go into Aberdeen it only takes about 25-30 minutes, but at peak times it can be a nightmare. It would take longer if my mother was at the wheel.
The last time we were over I told her about recycling. As a result she had distributed used teabags all over her garden to improve the soil. She'd dried them all out first as per my instructions. She maintains that I didn't tell her just to scatter the tea over the soil, so I got the job of picking up all these rain sodden teabags and doing the job properly. So to answer your question, she's fine, with the exception of her hearing, or her memory, or her attention span, or all three. Ask Ken how his mum is. I'm sure she is problem free too.
1959 was the most testing of the recent batch.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1599
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   

1953 deserves respect.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 460
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   

Now Ho1d on a minute. I am working on my own numbers. I don't have time or the patience to try all your simple little numbers. Ok, never mind. I will look at them. Being the kind and respectful person that I am. Remember. Ken isn't counting all his woes. And I can't count that high for mine. BTW. I seem to be missing a Walnut.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1600
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   

Maybe someone ate it! See how readily you can digest 1951. I'd bet cashyou find it a bit of a hard nut to crack. I seem to be having trouble with more than I bargained for, but that's the first 50 sorted out.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 461
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   

I cashed in on #1951. It was indeed an arduous acorn.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1601
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 4:19 am:   

Not so much an acorn, more a Pea, out of the same pod as 1950. Not wonder you chose to work up.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 462
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   

I have had some hard ones working up. Just only the one that I thought was worthy of your expertise. The problem is after I finish one I can't remember much about it. I usually go by the time it takes me to finish it. If it takes me more than a hour then I think it might be of interest. Short attention span is my middle name. Actually it's Mike but SAS fits in there too.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1602
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   

Are you sure you got those three letters in the correct order?
Re TI expertise, there's nothing I could teach you. We're pretty much on a par, although pretty is bound to get a retort from Ken.
I'm glad you've been getting your share of difficult ones, I was beginning to think people had it in for me!! Time yourself with 1939 and 1940. They gave me a lot of aggro.
BTW Just before I win a difficult one, I save it with my opinion, bad,very bad,evil etc.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 463
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   

You are more efficient than I am. Once it's over it's over as far as I am concerned. I will let you be the official TI grader. Did KenM have a collapse after everyone left. Wake up Ken.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1603
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   

Another masterly demonstration of your mathematical capabilities Mike. If Kens countdown was 4 days when he posted on the 11th...... Are you sure you're working with this years calendar? BTW when you've had a crack at the numbers I've posted already, I've saved a good one for you. It fell into the OMG!!!! category.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 464
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   

#1939 was bad and #1940 was even worse. And now you tell me you have another devil. Thanks for nothing. At least you should be asleep by now so it will wait till tomorrow. I didn't really keep track of Ken's vigil. I did light a candle for him today at church so that all will go well. Ok, that's it. No more TI for today. I have more important things to do. The trash needs to go out. And I think I will go with it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1604
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   

Super-Heros don't need sleep. 1931 was in the trash until I rescued it especially for you. It's 12.30am now. I think I'll go out jogging.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 465
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   

Well while your out remember to get some pictures. And I don't mean of the neighbors. Going to try 1931 now.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 466
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   

You sure about #1931. I knocked it out quickly. I must have made a lucky play.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 487
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 2:37 am:   

Richard, Mike's calendar skills might not be the best, but his evaluations on TI are spot on. #1931 was an easy one.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1605
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 3:52 am:   

I must have made a total $pitzer of it by what you both say. I must have taken some wrong turns. This morning I've just come back up Enlightenment Street onto Derision Street. Guess I was more in need of some shut eye than I thought. I actually had a LOT less trouble with 1939 and 1940.
$pitzer would have been better off playing Bridge.If you don't have a good oartner, you need a good hand. I'd bet that his wife just didn't understand him.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1606
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 3:54 am:   

$pitzer (cash up front).
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 467
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 9:44 am:   

We are judgemental today aren't we. :-)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1607
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 10:23 am:   

Well why not? People of this ilk really annoy me.
I was surprised to see his wife at his side standing up for him. Ironic really when he's been standing up for another woman! Does he smoke cigars do you know? I was going to make a reference to his election but though better of it!!!
I refuse to tell you my opinion of 1926. You guys can tell me. BTW Ken and I want to know what it was like in the twenties. Granted we could read about it, but we thought that your first hand account would be better. Also, did you meet Al Capone?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 468
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   

1926 was a pushover. What the heck is going on. Did Thomas make a special version of PGS for people in Scotland? Or did you just get back from the eye doctor like I did. Got to have a cataract (don't fell like looking up how to spell it) fixed in April. My vision is little blurry. Will email my opinions on the Governor. Lapses in the public trust are nothinjg new around here.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1608
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   

It all depends what moves you make early on. It's a good example of the butterfly effect in action.
You spelled cataract OK but made a fell mess of feel. Sorry to hear about your eyes. I've been promising to go and get new glasses for yonks, but have still to "see" to it. My vision is getting pretty bad. Don't suppose playing PGS for hours on end helps matters.
I saw on TV that new eye op techniques involve a 2mm incision in he eye. The lens is then sucked out and a new plastic one is injected back in. It opens itself up when in situ. Sounds reasonably painless, to all but the wallet.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 469
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   

You are right. Miss one play early on and its going back over and over. I feel like I fell down on my spelling test again.
The doctor also will vacuum out behind where the lens goes. I missed most of his explaination as I was trying to think of way out of his office and getting away from the whole plan. They will knock me out and hopefully I will feel nothing. Although I am expecting to be the .0001% who have problems.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 470
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 12:05 am:   

#1078 I hope will give you a good run. All that jumping back and forth with numbers ruined my perfect score. I guess I started a game and didn't know it and then switched to another number. Oh well, some guy in Finland will stay the champ. Or is that chump, as we all know that not every game in TI is winnable.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1609
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 4:31 am:   

Egg on face time Mike. 1078 rolled out like a dream. 6 minutes to an empty column, and a further 4 minutes to kick it into touch. There was a play with the hearts very eary on that was vital. Instead of playing them up, I got all the lower ones out of the stock to move the 4H in the tableau. It had a critical card (6C?) underneath it.Did Thomas make a special kintergarten version of PGS with six of everything in the stock? You took your good eye off the ball.
Sorry to hear that you mucked up your perfect score by making a mistake. WE know you are the TI champion regarless of what some unverifiable stats make say. That's why I don't bother these days.
Advice from someone who has spent a LOT of time in hospials and undergone a bewildering variety of tests, treatments and operations....... it's all in the mind! It's never anything like as bad as you imagined.
application/octet-streamA Child's Game
Triple Interchange_1078_Blind_Mans_Duff.pgs (7.6 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1610
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 6:12 am:   

Cast an eye over 1912. It took me a while to figure out how to get at the lynchpin that was holding it all together.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 471
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 11:36 am:   

1912 fell like my jaw when I once found a dollar on the golf course. Sorry 1078 wasn't more of stickler. I hope some of the next numbers are harder. As far as the posted scores. We all know they are a bunch of nonsense. It would be nice to really know the true percentages of the games. We are not even close to getting to all the TI games. And never will. But we know of at least 11 that are not solvable. It will be interesting to see which in the ones we are currantly working on will be the impossible ones.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1611
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   

It's strange how diverse our opinions have been of some of the numbers. That's what I like about TI, there are usually many different ways to win each game.
I've just completed the first 100 of my downward quota. I'm a twenty-a-day man now. All were winnable.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1612
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   

Michael, does this sound like something you said recently "I hope some of the next numbers are harder". Be careful what you wish for......1899.
PLEASE time yourself/yourselves with this one.
4IIITB4
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 472
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   

About 25 mins for that one. I was really talking about the numbers I am working on. Trying to find a stumper for you and Ken. Also, as we have said before. Knowing you are dealing with a difficult one means you are extra careful. You look ahead to plays better than I. I just stumble forward and hope for the best.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1613
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 3:06 am:   

I'll have to admit that 1899 took me a lot longer than 25 minutes, more than twice as long! I guess I identified the problems differently, and resolving those ones was more difficult that resolving the opnes you identified. I'll be interested to learn what Ken makes of it. Well done Mike.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1614
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 10:59 am:   

1892 gave me endless problems. Perhaps I made a pig's ear of it, but I found it very unobliging. See what you make of it.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 473
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   

1892. About 45mins. I thought for awhile I wasn't going to get it. Went back through twice and it finally made sense. Time to do one of my numbers now. I am doing 1087.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 488
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   

NOW that I have ALL the time in the world, I'll try 1899. BTW, Richard, as a final father/son activity my dad and I went to see "Doomsday" yesterday. If you like action films, it was great! The premise is that there is a fatal virus that fells everybody in Glasgow, and soon all of Scotland is infected. England erects a 30-ft steel fence to keep the virus from infecting them, until 25 years later they somehow get infected also. They discover that there are actually survivors back in Scotland, so England sends some people back to Scotland to find out if there is a cure, and violence and mayhem ensue. Some of the movie was filmed at Blackness Castle. Have you ever been?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1615
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   

Welcome back to the fray Ken. I'll look out for "Doomsday". Sounds a bit far fetched. The steel fence would have landed up at some Glasgow scrap merchant in no time flat. It's realistic to the point that Scots have always been regarded as expendable, and were often used as cannon-fodder by the "British" army. That is why the battlefield casualties incurred by Scotland are greatly disproportionate to its population. So to contain us behind a fence would certainly be an acceptable option.
Yes we have been to Blackness Castle. It is quite impressive. We've been to Doune Castle of Monty Python fame, and quite recently we visited Eilean Donan Castle made (more) famous in Highlander. There are actually very few castles we've not visited.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1616
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   

1883 was another very akward game that may give you quite a bit of bother.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 489
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   

On 1899 I was in between you guys. It took me 40 mins...
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1619
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   

The times are of little importance. I just like to check with you guys now and again to see if my brain is still working. If the pair of you consistantly knock them out easily, I'll start to worry. Now, on that subject....... how long is it until your folks move in again?
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 490
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   

You are SOOO funny.......
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 474
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   

I heard they are already planning the trip. Time to redecorate Ken.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 475
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   

Take a look at #1088. It seems unwinnable.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1620
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 4:07 am:   

I'd agree with that Mike. 1088 is unwinnable. So few alternatives anyway, but where they exist it is clubs under clubs and hearts under hearts. No way through.
Great idea about the redecorating Mike! Ken could get one of those ceramic door stickers, "Mum & Dad's Room", and treat it like a shrine; nothing gets moved in the room until they return, year, after year, after year, after year, and the years after that too. You could appear on Jerry Springer Ken, and have public arguments with your Iowa brother, and put your case why they should move in with you on a permanent basis. I'm sure Mike is in total agreement. We could start a petition!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1621
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 9:57 am:   

I think that 1872 is unwinnable.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 476
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 10:39 am:   

I vote Yes. But I have a feeling that vote will count in this as much as it does around the house. If you think 1872 is unwinnable then it no doubt is. I will move on.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1622
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 11:31 am:   

If your opinions were of no importance to us Mike, we wouldn't ask for them. True?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 11:47 am:   

Incredible! Stick 1869 on the unwinnable list too. None for ages then three in next to no time.
(I'm certain about all three).
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 477
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   

Your just being polite. Three clunkers so far. Wonder if we can find one more.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1624
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   

Polite? Me? You must be confusing me with someone else.
Try 1862. It managed to get me into a frightful mess before I found the correct column to empty. My previous columns were dead ends. After that it wasn't that difficult.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1625
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   

Re "polite". You should see the letter I've just written to Scottish Power. A selection of words I used.... useless, inept,incompetent,unprofessional,unbusnesslike, shameful, immoral. I called their meter a piece of junk, and I told them they were ripping off their customers.
Polite? Me? You must be confusing me with someone else.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 478
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   

I was also being polite. Hope you get a useful, nept,competent, professional, businesslike, shamed, moral response.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1631
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   

1862 and 1853 are the two I've had most problems with recently. How did you guys get on with them?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 479
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   

1853 was the harder of the two. Both were a challenge. Now I am to tired to do my numbers. Guess I will take a nap.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 497
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   

Uh-oh, I'm in trouble! I can't even get a column clear in 1862 (let alone attempt 1853).
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 498
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   

Richard, have you ever seen "The X Factor"? Do you know who Leona Lewis is?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1633
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   

Of course I've seen the X-Factor. It's been running here for several years. We exported it to you, and Simon Cowell. Leonna won it two years ago. She's got a fabulous voice and is the most unassuming person you'd ever wish to meet. I remember that series well. I had three winning bets on her in different rounds.
I'm glad that my two numbers have given you some grief too. Mike seems to have taken to TI like a duck to water. I've yet to find one to stump him.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1634
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   

In 1862 I cleared the last column. The topmost hidden card is the 9S.
In 1853 it was column 3 I cleared. The topmost hidden card is the 5C. Column 1 will clear immediately after that.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 499
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   

It's nice to know that you have time for the telly, and your life doesn't COMPLETELY revolve around PGS. She was on the Oprah show today, and she does have a fantastic voice! Are there any American programmes that have been imported to the UK that you watch on a regular basis?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1635
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   

It bugs me that the Simsons clash with the evening news. I watch others too on occasions. Used to like Cheers. Friends was good. We also get the American X-Factor on one of the minor channels, and also America's Got Talent. My TV is on from 3.30 in the afternoon until about 1 or 2 the following morning. I play PGS at the same time and I suspect it slows me down a bit. Alien 3 is on at the moment, but I'd rather watch comedy.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 501
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   

I love TV, but I need all my concentration to work on the #'s you guys post.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1662
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 11:11 am:   

1836 was the most troublesome of the latest batch of TI's.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   

1828 is the most interesting and unusual of the recent ones.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 493
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   

Got 1828. It seemed tough. But I am not sure. I am tired from being on good behavior for last two days. Time for lunch now and then a nap.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1664
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   

1828 was quite testing. You had to get the opening moves just right or nothing else worked.
We can't have you on permanent good behaviour. See if 1820 can make you cuss.It gave me a lot of trouble, but someone could just get lucky and win it quite easily. Ships happen!
Our Easter weather has been awful. A fair bit of snow, and frequent hail showers. Hope yours has been better.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 495
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   

1821 was another one that I had to think through. Which as we know gives me a head ache. I have yet to find a really tough one for you in my sequence of numbers. There have been some hard ones. But none that I thought would be of interest. I am starting #1109 now.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1666
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   

Did you typo 1821? 1820 was the one I had problems with.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 496
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   

Yes, I did a typo. Shows how much I pay attention.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1667
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 10:59 am:   

I thought that 1811 was particularly akward. Worth playing.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 497
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   

#1811. Come on Richard. You have to do better than that. Seriously. I new that one of those 9D was going to be the key. I just played the wrong one twice before I decided to try the other one. After that it was smooth sailing.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1668
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 3:24 am:   

It just proves how differently we must be playing the same games. I moved the 9D's in this order, column 2, then 6 and finally 1. That still leaves 5 other possible orders in which they can be played. I suspect I must have tried them all and was still trying to resolve some other problem at the same time. I may have to resort to playing the mute button on the TV I suspect as my smooth sailing is resulting in too many shipwrecks. It also goes to prove how much you've improved as a TI player. No problem, onwards and downwards. My 2nd 100 will soon be history.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1669
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   

See if 1802 takes you any longer Mike. It did not co-operate with my strategies anyway.
Ken has been away a while. Do you think he's been captured?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1670
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   

Found him! Kenny Miller scored Scotland's goal against Croatia today. He kept that quiet!
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 513
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   

I've got MANY talents!!!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1671
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 4:17 am:   

Indeed. It's remarkable how well you keep them all hidden. We'd never have guessed.
How did the wedding go?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 498
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   

Yes, 1802 was a lot of trouble. I finally figured it out after I woke up a little more. Sent the wife off to a meeting yesterday in Las Vegas. She may be back tonight. But probably tomorrow. So I spent most of the day getting her car serviced and running other errands. KenM. I hope something exciting happened at the wedding. Perhaps you fell in the cake. Or at least molested the bridesmaids. Time to fix dinner now.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 514
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   

I'm friends with the bride's mother, so I went to support my friend. Well, I come to find out that after my friend paid for her daughter's wedding and reception, she didn't have any money to pay for the clean-up crew, so I ended up putting away chairs and pushing a broom. I've been duped! (R & M, Do I have "SUCKER" tattooed on my forehead?)
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 499
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   

Don't know what Richard will say (does anyone) but I say you acted like a good friend. At least you have a story to tell.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1672
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 3:01 am:   

OK, let's cut to the chase. Mike SENT his wife to Las Vegas for a MEETING! He didn't put his foot down as he usually does, and DEMAND to know precisely when she'd be home. Then HE decides to get HER car serviced and do some CHORES whilst she is away. Does anyone smell BS? Here's what really happened.
She came back from the bank with a load of spendoolas that she's just withdrawn from their "joint" account, and told him she was off to Vegas to play the tables. When Mike asked when she's be back, she said it would depend on how long it took before she lost the cash. She then told him that she's sold his golf clubs on Ebay, (got 20 bucks), and that he'd not be needing them anyway as she's left him a list of chores to do. He said, "Yes dear. That will be fine dear. Have a nice time dear. Are you sure you've got enough cash dear?".
And then there is Ken. His "friend" was doing her sums and discovered that she could get herself a new outfit if she could just trim a little off the wedding budget. She looked up his phone number in her address book. She had him filed under T. (Under Thumb. Her thumb). She suggested that it would be good exercise if he cycled to the reception, and to do a bit of training beforehand. (She wanted to ensure that he was fit enough to do some chores).
Did you not smell a rat when she asked you to bring a waiter's uniform with you Ken? Were you not suspicious when she asked you to strap a brush onto your crossbar?
No guys.Seriously, I think you both did a great job. Asserted your authority with your alpha-male routines. Spray marked your territory with some pheremones, or was it furniture polish?
You could get that tattooo altered Ken. First you get the U changed to an O, and then get another word added below.
Very few people will realise that you are not a Socker Coach.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 3:51 am:   

You should get business cards printed Ken. "Have brush - Will travel".
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 500
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 9:20 am:   

A simple, well done Ken, would have worked too Richard. As I said no one knows what Richard will say. BTW is it still snowing there. It's a nice 74 degrees here. You must have cabin fever by now. It's been what, 4 days.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1674
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 10:17 am:   

Yes,I agree. Ken certainly was well done!
I'm glad you used the past tense of "work" in the same sentence as my name.
I'm glad to report that the temperature here has shot up within the last couple of days. It's practically tropical. Give it another few weeks and it may even reach double figures.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 501
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   

I am sure Ken is wondering what he did to deserve all this attention. I just looked out the door and I have a beautiful little yellow finch at my feeder. This is only the second bright yellow one I have seen around here. Must be spring.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 515
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   

Richard, haven't you figured it out by now? Mike is a "kept" man. His wife finances their retirement by counting cards in Las Vegas, and in exchange for his luxurious lifestyle, all he has to do is do a few errands. Sounds like a sweet gig to me!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1675
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   

Mike, by some strange coincidence I had a couple of Blue Tits in my garden yesterday.(Make up your own jokes, but I'm being serious). Must be cold (insert another joke) before they were attracted in. Strangely this too is only the second time they've visited, although I sometimes see them in the area.
Ken, When you say that Mike is a "kept" man, is that a bit like having a dog? You think he's been taught to fetch, do you? Heel have something to say about that!
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 502
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   

Ken, Ken, Ken. That is not a topic for discussion. I get enough abuse about it here at home. Also. My wife is too busy running the hospital to spend time playing games in Vegas.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1676
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   

Ken! Mike's got a bone to lick with you! We've not to mention that topic. We must cur-tail it immediately. And don't mention golf either. In fact anything that involves chasing after balls is banned. And sand. Don't mention sand either, and it would be extremely unkind to suggest that after a game of ----, he has more ---- in his shoe5 than Omar Sharif.
Have a go at 1795. It gave me the run around for quite a while. Perhaps I misread it. Opinions please.
Shoe5 is the wierdest banned word yet!
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 516
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   

Here again I guess we have to define our criteria for what makes a game easy. MY criteria is that if a number is posted by you or Mike and I can win it w/o asking for a clue, then it's EASY! (as was the case for 1795)
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 503
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   

As for my golf game, it sucks right now. I am hoping that after I get my cataract taken care of I can see the ball. Don't know what it is about certain numbers. Some may fall into place for one player and make no sense to another. Some are straightforward and we go through all kinds of wrong plays thinking they must be tricky. Others are tricky. And you really have to wait and look at all the cards. Did that confuse you all. It did me.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1677
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 4:31 am:   

No Mike, that made perfect sense to me. I wonder if it's simply a case of wrongly identifying a problem card in a particular column and persisting in trying to get it into play, and at the same time closing your mind to other possibilities. I can sometimes get myself into a terrible mess but replay the same game a few days later and it all just falls into place. That's why we three have been slogging away at TI since Noah was a boy. We enjoy its frustrations and usually overcome them. It's just a great game.
I think we've only had part of the wedding saga from Ken. I suspect that he was far from the only one who chipped in and lent a hand. That's what friends do mate. Did you give the bridesmaids a hand too? Get into their good books?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1678
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 5:25 am:   

Ken wants to "define our criteria for difficult".
My definition of difficult would be a number that has taken me at least twice as long as an average one (=X2). Very difficult would therefore be X3, and an X4 or X5 would be a rarity. Thereafter we would have to add our three scores and divide by 3. Far from perfect. Alternatively we could just say "this one sucks".
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 517
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 6:19 am:   

RM, I'm not being coy. I was the only single person there. Well, if you don't count the widows, and I'm not that desperate. (Yet!)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 6:37 am:   

I think that your friend may have let you down Ken. Surely she must know of some single ladies who she could have invited. At the very least they could have given you a hand with your cleaning.
1792 must be pretty unique. I got all the cards uncovered in the first deal. At times I had at least two columns empty. I wondered if I persisted for long enough if it was possible to win it on the first deal. Probably not, but I'll likely drift back to it a few times.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 504
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   

I thought 1792 was a good challenge. It took me some time to figure it out. Ken. Yopu could have put the broom behind your bike and rode around to sweep up after the wedding. Sort of like a Zamboni. Bet I get Richard with that word.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1680
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 3:04 pm:   

With 1792 the best I have managed so far is a score of 94 and all the cards uncovered (without venturing into the second deal). Could be the easiest game yet. That's my new goal, to win one in deal one.
Both of you take great care with that brush!!
Mike's just getting all bitter because he can't find his balls on the ---- course. Maybe he should get a Zamboni to cart him around a curling-rink. It would need to be one helluva cataract to stop him seeing his stones.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 505
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   

I have had a kidney stone that felt like it was the size of a curling stone.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1685
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 5:52 am:   

Maybe you deserved one. (Just a theory).
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1687
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 9:43 am:   

Serious questions for K2. Since you installed Vista do you have trouble seeing stuff that you've highlighted? If so, wanna fix? Do you hate Norton? Wanna trouble-free FREE virus program?
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 519
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 10:07 am:   

Actually, I really haven't had any more problems with Vista, but stay tuned to this space. BTW, how are you doing with winning that TI # on only one deal? It seemed easy enough, but I was only able to get 59 on the first deal.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 507
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:32 am:   

Yes, I deserve more pain in my life. It is my diet that gives me the stones. I have had so many I could equip an entire curling league. If I drank more bieer and water and less sodas I would have fewer problems. I don't think I would have a chance of solving #1792 in one deal. Good luck to you guys.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 7:58 am:   

My broadband has been down for days, hence the lack of posts. Mike, the pics I uploaded to PGS were from my old camera. I just used macro for the first time. Why would anyone choose to drink soda when bieer is readily available? Tell your wife that the doctor prescribed it.
Sorry I couldn't help you with your problem game Ken. 1792 cannot be won in one deal. Perhaps no TI can. It won't stop me trying with other ones though. I'm glad your having no more problems with Vista. The only one that was annoying me was the dreadfully pale highlights. I fixed that by deselecting "Aero" and going for "Classic" view.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 509
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 11:35 am:   

Oh, I didn't notice you were not posting. As far as my cola drinking. It's just what I prefer. I am not much of a drinker of alcohol. Just plain water would be much better than what I am doing. Take a look at #1137. It was late last night when I was working on and I was sleepy but it it was giving me problems. I will work on it some more later.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1689
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   

I think you may have been more tired than you thought. 1137 was quite straightforward. One thing though, I made the decision not to play the JD onto the queen. This had a big impact.
1777 gave me grief. See what you guys make of it.
And what do you mean you didn't notice my lack of posts? I always post something, even if it's just some stick for you and Kens.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 522
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   

Richard, I noticed. Check out my post at Unlimited, and let me know what you think of my #.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 510
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   

You always post something? I figured #1137 was my error. My eyes were not focusing at all. I will finish it now.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1696
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   

If I was paranoid I would think that you were neglecting me. I have had no feedback about 1777.
I found it very difficult, but I'd appreciate your opinions. I'm working on another one which is either excruciatingly difficult, or unwinnable. What pleasures await you!
I hear Ken is taking refuge somewhere in Iowa.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 511
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   

In truth I haven't been on the computer that much in the last several days. When I have been on I was playing my TI hands or I was playing my Civilization game. Plus your ISP was out. Anyway I will get to the important stuff the rest of this week. Right now I have to go and start dinner so it will be later tonight before I do any solitaire. Watch this space for results.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 512
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   

#1777 was a snap. I thought it was going to be a problem but it fell into place ok. It took me about 27 mins. But like I said I thought it was going to be hard. Started at 8:39 and finished at 9:06
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 527
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 3:01 am:   

Mike says #1777 is a snap.
I say it's crap!
I am literally and figurately clueless. The best score after hours of play is 44. HELP!!!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1698
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 4:22 am:   

Perhaps Mike has got numerical dyslexia. Maybe he's played some totally different number.Maybe he shut his good eye. How on earth he beat 1777 in such a short time is beyond me! My time was into the hours too Ken. I'd feel embarrassed offering you clues, as I must have been all around the houses like you. Ken and I would appreciate some enlightenment, oh grand poobah, or have I stretched that a little too far? (After you do your housework will be just fine).
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1699
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 6:10 am:   

Ok Ken, I'll take pity on you. Mike is likely to be doing important stuff like hoovering or darning socks.
I cleared column 5 first. The hidden cards in it are 7H,2C,10C,AC, the ace being the highest up.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 528
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 8:18 am:   

Richard, with that info the game was incredibly easy. So maybe we should go easy on our boy, Mike. If col 5 was the first col he happened to try and clear, I can see how he would have won it in 27 minutes.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1700
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 8:37 am:   

Go easy on him! Why would we want to do that? We want him to feel right at home don't we? He would only start to worry if we were nice to him.
I will concede that once you got column 5 cleared you were practically home and dry, but as both of us found out, it was not the most obvious route to take. Maybe when we're really old like Mike we will be able to suss them out quicker. It's an age thing I'm sure.
Anyway gentlemen, turn you attention to 1756. It's driving me mad. I've had different columns cleared but can't make any further progress. If Mike cracks this one quickly, I'm going to find another hobby. Something really simple, like golf.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1701
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 9:47 am:   

1756 has finally capitulated. Could both of you time your attempts. I rate this as a ultra difficult, X5 anyway. See what you think.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 513
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   

Get out your golf clubs. Just kidding. I haven't got very far with 1756. And I am getting very weary. Will have to take a nap.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1702
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   

No need to worry Mike. You're the TI champ these days anyway. Mind you 1756 could wrest the green jersey back from you. Let us know what column(s) you've managed to clear. I'm just keen to see if you play it the same way as me.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 529
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   

How long are you going to torture us? I'm on hour 3 now. I might have to join Mike in taking a nap! I can easily clear col 1 but I am stymied after that! Should I be concentrating on another column?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 514
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   

I got it. Cleared column 1 first then the 3rd one I think. It was easy. Not really. i'll go along with the ultra difficult. Richard may be asleep by now.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1703
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   

As usual Mike has me puzzled. I found column 1 to be a dead end. I then had the same problem when I got column 7 cleared. Finally I decided to see if I could clear column 8, and that's the one that did it for me. With that column clear I played all the hearts from column 1 up to the founations. This enabled the 3C to be played onto column 6. The hidden cards in column 8 are 8C,3H,7D,and 7H lowest.
I think that 3 hours + would not be unreasonable for this one. Hope this helps you Ken. Very well done Mike!!
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 515
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   

Now I will have to go back to my save point and look to see what I did. Thanks Richard. You know I don't remember the hands after I finish them.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 516
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   

I definitely cleared column #1 first. Check it out.
text/plainMike's Hoot
Triple Interchange_1756.pgs (12.2 k)
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 530
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   

Richard, I found this post from a year ago that a certain Mike Butler posted:

Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 2:51 pm:

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------
I have to give all of you credit who like this type of solitaire game. I just don't have what it takes to play mutiple deck games. I am working on #469162977 it's seems a little tougher than the last two I solved. How much time do you all usually spend on trying to solve them. I must confess I like games which move a lot faster and you can see if there is really a solution by the 2nd or 3rd time you work on it.

Post Number: 517
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 12:04 am:   

Ah, those were the good old days. I had time to do my chores and play golf when I wanted to. Now I am playing solitaire all of the time and my poor brain is fried with all these games. But it has been nice getting to know everyone.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1704
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 1:31 am:   

I didn't doubt that you had cleared column 1 first Mike I was just surprised because Ken and I found it to be a dead end. There are so many tiny variations we can make in the tableau during play, and it is difficult to comprehend what the knock on effect is likely to be until we have burned up 15 minutes or so trying to get out of a dead end. Then at what point do you decide that you've reversed enough and take another turning? It fascinates me just how many possible variations are available within a single game.
Yes Ken, I do recall that shy wee lad we used to hear from in the forum occasionally. He used to finish school and do some chores before rushing off to the course to watch the adults playing golf. What was his name again? Sandy something? I've got it! Sandy 5hoes. I wonder what happened to him. I suspect he got married to some meek subserviant wee lass who's been running after him every day since whilst he's out with his mates playing golf and getting drunk.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1705
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 1:46 am:   

I've just played your uploaded game Mike. I failed to see the opportunity that you exploited. A brilliant solution. To reciprocate, Ken and I are in total aggreement that we'd like to see you empty column 8 first. What are friends for?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 518
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 9:58 am:   

I think I did empty column eight the first time I tried it and got stuck. The seventh or eighth time I tried the hand I went with column one because of a card there. I can't remember exactly which one. Seems like it was the 3 of something. Anyway after I did that it went fast. Wonder why 5hoes is a banned word. Must have been getting a bunch of spam about them. My golf Usenet group is overun with adds for them.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1706
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 11:54 am:   

It was a strange game. Normally when you get a column empty you can make some progress and get more cards out of the tableau.This in turn makes further progress easier.To get two different ones cleared and fail to win it is pretty unique.
The reason Ken and I want you to win it starting from column 8 is that we feel you must have missed out on a lot of the pleasure we got from going round and round on this carousel for hours. We're just looking after your best interests.
5hoes is a strange one. It doesn't seem to be a likely candidate for spammers. Mind you, when you see the extortionate prices being asked for some trainers, someone is making an absolute killing. Maybe they think they can sell anything to golfers. Perhaps they got that impression after checking out the togs you guys pay good money for. No wonder you got a cataract. Some of those outfits should carry a health warning.
It's high time you were unearthing a nasty TI for us.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1707
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   

I think that 1747 is unwinnable.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 519
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   

I am getting nowhere with it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1708
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   

I've already given up on it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1709
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 4:53 am:   

1741 is tricky. I thought that the opening was hard to find,
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 520
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 10:08 am:   

1741 was a good one. Just enough of a problem to make it interesting. The opening was indeed hard to find as it didn't seem in the first play through that much was going to open up. That sounds redundent to me me for some reason. :-) BTW. It looks like time to start TI Part XI.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 521
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 12:36 am:   

I will submit #1152. It's not terribly hard. But it took me over 1\2hr. So try it.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 532
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 4:02 am:   

Mike, It took me 25 min. Richard, we expect you to do it in 20. (No cheating!)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1711
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 4:55 am:   

10.24 - 10.42, so around 18 minutes. I'd sussed out that the 9c in the first was likely to be a problem, so I had not much to undo to make a space for the 7S from the same column.
We'd more snow yesterday, so I'll have to clear a lot of it before I can feed the birds in the garden. They are getting so desperate that some of them are landing before I start casting it around. I hope you guys are getting fried! Deep fried in some instances!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration