Broad spectrum emails Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » Penguin 760314944 » Broad spectrum emails « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

CarolAnn (Sunlion7)
Junior Solitaire Player
Username: Sunlion7

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   

It seems to me that the mail that goes to everyone should potentially be useful to everyone. Since Richard's cryptic pictures are (presumably) not available to anyone except Pauline, could they just communicate with each other privately? Am I the only one who is tired of getting these private messages?
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 1902
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   

I'm certain that the vast majority of people would readily understand these pictures. They are in no way cryptic. All you have to do is read the game number to which they refer, open that game on your own PC, and use the pictures as clues to help you solve that game. Pauline is in her 70's and SHE understood them. They are simply a tool that I can use in preference to the long and tedious task of writing the solutions out in full. The fact that YOU have seen these pictures contradicts your own arguement that they are not available to everybody. In fact even people who are not registered to post to this forum can view them and use them. Private messages???? Get you facts right.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   

I believe what CarolAnn is referring to here is the emails that the forum sends out to people if they have their profiles set up to receive them.

If you set up your forum profile to receive them, the forum will email you every time someone posts a message in the topics that you have selected.

When someone includes a file or picture in the forum post, this is referred to but not included in the email. If you want to see the file or picture that is referred to in the email, CarolAnn (or others), you need to click on the link in the email that takes you to the forum post. There you will be able to see the file or picture that is referred to. These files are not included in the email.

Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1903
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   

That explains a lot Thomas. Thank you. I had no idea that you provided such a service, and believe that most players simply open up the forum and see what's there. I do communicate with some members by email on a personal basis about private matters. Everthing else is an open book, provided free of charge for people to use or not use at their discretion.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 603
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   

First of all I want to thank Thomas for providing this forum. He is always here to answer our questions. I also did not know that notices of new messages could be received via email. I usually just log into the forum to see what's going on. Richards posting of the screen shots of hands is very helpful to many of us. Some of the folks found the old method a little to difficult and this way works for them. When you are working on solving a hand it is easier to go back and forth between the hand in PGS and the solve in the forum. Email would not work as well. No one here wants to cause anyone any problems. Have fun playing a great game. And thanks again Thomas.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1904
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   

A storm in a teacup Mike. A simple misunderstanding. I think that CarolAnn and myself have now realised this and are keen to draw a line under it. I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments regarding this forum. It's brilliant, and I think at times we take it for granted. I'd certainly miss it.
CarolAnn (Sunlion7)
Junior Solitaire Player
Username: Sunlion7

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   

Okay, picture me with my hands up in the air! I give, I give!! :-) Thomas is right that I was receiving only the emails, and all I had there was something like x.jpg. I didn't realize the forum had the pics. I am a Penguin junkie, and always on the lookout for which ones aren't winnable. Thanks to everyone for understanding.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1905
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 2:44 am:   

To err is human, to forgive divine. Your apology was unnecessary under the circumstances, and I'm sorry for biting your head off. We both learned something too which is no bad thing. How on earth did you manage to overlook the pictures when you made your post? Don't answer that. Just getting old like the rest of us. Sigh!
Penguin is a game that I enjoy too, and Pauline has dug us some toughies in the past. If you get any you can't solve CarolAnn, please post the numbers. Knowing that they're going to be difficult/impossible makes them even more appealing.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration