Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » Double Jane « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Audrey G Schnell (Paxinc)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Paxinc

Post Number: 194
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   

Does anybody have a solvable number for this puzzle?
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 2358
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   

Hi Audrey. Long time! Where have you been hiding?
The trick with Double Jane is to remember that you can take cards back off the foundations which helps you to reconstruct columns into suit order, as these can then be moved in blocks. You can also use this tactic to get isolated cards into playable positions. Pretty much any number should be winnable but you may have to do a lot of reconstruction.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 835
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   

I got #1265202560. I had to worry back a lot. But it worked.
paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Pondpaul

Post Number: 433
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 11:56 am:   

Hi Audrey
welcome back I have missed you
I agree with Richard as I have won all 14 games I have played although I am currently stuck on 877656192
Paul
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 195
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   

Thanks, Paul. I've had multiple viral assaults and am beginning to recover the system. The SOBs even demolished my web site. TTFN. Audrey
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 196
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   

Thanks, Paul & Mike: I'm barely recovering from Viral PC assaults. Finally getting back on line.
TTFN Audrey
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2361
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   

Your game is winnable Paul. Solution attached in case you want it. I don't think that Double Jane is particularly easy despite its rating. You really need all your wits about you.
Sorry to hear about your site Audrey. I enjoyed it. I can't figure out what pleasure anyone can derive from destroying someone else's property. All viruses must be traceable and surely Microsoft could devise a hunter-killer virus to scour the net and eliminate them. It's more lucrative selling us all anti virus sortware.
application/octet-stream
Double Jane_877656192_Paul.pgs (8.9 k)
paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 434
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   

Hi Richard
Thanks regards
Paul
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 842
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 10:44 am:   

Hi Paul. I noticed you had four wins in Interchange. If you still have your stats for that game could you check and see what numbers those were. I have been played #1 to #61 and don't have a win yet. I can't remember if you play the games in order or not.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2372
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 11:08 am:   

I don't know if you checked the "Is It Winnable" section Mike. There is an Interchange section there with a few winners in it. In the Beta test Climb Mode I have played about 150 with no winners. I don't anticipate finding one for a VERY long time.
paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 435
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   

Hi
just random or where I get the winning numbers from the forum so not sure
these are 7744, 2147483647 I think this is the unshuffled deck so should not count
1371621504 1007574
paul
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 844
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   

Thanks Paul and the other guy. That answers my question. I don't know if I will give up or not. if that other guy can't find a winner in 150 games then I don't have a prayer.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2373
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   

"The other guy"? Is that the opposite of "The other woman"? Am I involved in an affair and can't even remember? Didn't realise my memory was THAT bad.
I've actually played 178 of Interchange in the Climb Mode.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 846
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   

I am getting nowhere with Interchange. I may have to play it in regular PGS to see if I can find a winnable game. I am also trying to get Aces and Kings. One of those first two games is winnable. But I can't get either one of them yet.
And yes your memory is THAT bad. But so is mine.
paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 436
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   

aces and kings
I won with 320746273
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2374
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   

Finding winnable Interchanges in the regular PGS won't do you any good in the climb mode though Mike. I think I've played 230 in there now. It's difficult to get a column cleared far less a winning game. I've had two columns cleared twice and still didn't get very far.
You'll have to consult Tom from Scotland. He's won 56 without a single loser. I don't expect to see his name in the new 101 version, (unless it's at the bottom of the pile).
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 894
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   

Can you guys delineate what "climb mode" is and how it works? Or has Thomas sworn you to secrecy? (Get out the cyanide capsules!)
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 322
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   

>Can you guys delineate what "climb mode" is and how it works?

Climb Mode is no secret; it is already implemented in Pretty Good MahJongg. The only "secret" is that it will be supported in the upcoming (card) solitaire games from Goodsol.

In Climb Mode, one plays each deal in order, starting at #1, and the score is the total score of all deals completed. This way, each player faces the same challenges, and it helps prevent exploits such as cherry-picking winnable deals or replaying the same deal to boost ones statistics.

In this thread, it has been observed that Mike knows that one of the first two deals in Aces and Kings is winnable because somebody (me :-)) has posted statistics showing one win and one loss. (Checking the best scores shows that deal #2 is the winnable one, and it took me just shy of 8 minutes to win it.)

Richard's 230 games of Interchange (in Climb Mode) means that he has not found a winner through deal #230. The reported scores currently show a best score of 60 (on deal #15) within the first 115 deals.

I am completely biased in my appreciation of Climb Mode. :-)
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 847
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   

Nice pat on the back for yourself there Gregg. But you deserve it for figuring that deal out. For some reason Aces and Kings is causing me problems. And it's sad that I have to play over 200 games of Interchange to catch up with Richard. And they are all losers. Of course Richard figured out that Aces and Kings deal also. Gregg. Can't you fix it so I could just jump to #250 in Interchange.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 323
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   

>Can't you fix it so I could just jump to #250 in Interchange.

I could, but what fun would there be in that? :-)

You could turn off Climb Mode, or press the 'Next Game' button 200+ times, or bite the bullet and just play the games, or concede Interchange to Richard and try an easier game, like Auld Lang Syne. :-)

>For some reason Aces and Kings is causing me problems.

Seriously, a couple of hints for Aces and Kings:

1) Do not always move cards from the tableau to the foundations right away. Instead, check the next card from the stock and only play from the tableau when it brings beneficial cards back there.

2) Count the number of Kings and Aces in the reserves (except those at the bottom) and try leaving enough empty foundation piles for those cards, even though a starter may show up on the Waste.

Note that during extensive testing over the years (of Most Popular Solitaire, then Pretty Good Solitaire Mac Edition, and now this upcoming product), it was only recently that I actually won deal #2, despite the deals being the same on all of these games. (I did not win in PGSME until deal #6, nor in MPS until deal #15.)

Aces and Kings is probably more often winnable than the 5% in the help file, but it does take some effort to find the path to victory.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 895
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 12:15 am:   

Gregg, I've been meaning to e-mail you. My beloved Iowa Hawkeyes ALMOST beat your Spartans. (Yes, I know. Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades!) Do we at least get credit for keeping Javon Ringer under 100 yds? Ken
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 848
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 12:56 am:   

I will never give in to Richard. And I will find a way to win Interchange. (someday) Yes I could just skip my way through. But what if, just if. I could find a winner that Richard missed. I would treat myself to a big prize. I use your suggestions already in Aces and Kings. I am making a mistake in there someplace. I will get it. One more thing. We know that in PGS if you change computers or have a crash and have not saved your stats properly. Which I never have. You lose those games you played and have to start over. With random deals it's not that big a deal. But in the new version you would have to start over at #1. Do you have any way to fix that. This question should probably be over in the test area. Iowa has a football team?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 324
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 1:39 am:   

>Do we at least get credit for keeping Javon Ringer under 100 yds?

Yes, your team did a decent job of containing Javon. Unfortunately (for Iowa :-)), they did not do nearly as well retaining possession in the red zone during the first quarter. (Whew...)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 325
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 1:45 am:   

>We know that in PGS if you change computers or have a crash and have not saved your stats properly. Which I never have. You lose those games you played and have to start over. With random deals it's not that big a deal. But in the new version you would have to start over at #1. Do you have any way to fix that.

We cannot be held responsible for data loss, but...

See (and test!) the 'Game|Backup Statistics...' option, which makes it much easier to save your stats before such a disaster occurs.

Oh, yeah... You should probably also try its companion, 'Game|Restore Statistics...' :-) Together these also make it (relatively) simple to transfer your stats to a different system.

I hope that you (and everybody else) will find this a welcome improvement.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2375
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 4:58 am:   

Brilliant!!! At last there has been some lively discussion in the Forum. Gregg deserves a pat on the back for pushing ahead with Climb Mode. No-one, but no-one can have any gripes about it. It treats everyone exactly the same, which, in the case of Interchange, is badly. I'm well past 200 now Mike. (No Ken, that's not in dog years). It is possible that anyone can miss a winnable game. It wouldn't upset me at all if someone, particularly Mike, found one I'd failed with.
Saving your stats for transfer to a new PC is another piece of genius.

Thanks too for the information that Iowa has a football team. Who plays in goal?
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 896
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 6:12 am:   

David Beckham. (It's nice seeing Posh on the sidelines!) BTW, have you heard the latest? She puts bird poop on her face to make her skin so soft. No lie! Richard, you used to be into fishes; how about picking up bird poop? Once the word gets out I'm sure it will be a booming business!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2376
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 9:42 am:   

Mike would make a good goalie. If he stood a few yards out you wouldn't see half of it.
Posh uses bird poo on her face eh? I was tempted to say "No ----" there but obviously that's not the case. I think that you could sell some people anything. Tell her that putting a fresh cow-pat under her pillow is good for getting rid of wrinkles.
I'm still trying to work out the link between fish and bird droppings Ken. Were you expecting me to use piranhas to scare it out of them?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 849
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   

"Mike would make a good goalie". Except I never could move to the LEFT. Anything struck that way would go in. I will have to look at all the save options in the new version. Port Out. Starboard Home. I wonder if she works that way.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 326
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   

>Gregg deserves a pat on the back for pushing ahead with Climb Mode.

Do not forget Thomas, who deserves one as well.

By the way, I just saw that your (Richard's) score on Interchange #15 is 68! I thought I had done well with 60. I may need to start over again. :-)
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 850
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   

The best I can do is 60. I tried in on regular PGS over and over. I will try one more time.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2380
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 3:45 am:   

Re my top score of 68......perhaps I've discovered a NEW way to cheat! Sleep well guys.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 897
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 6:09 am:   

Gregg and/or Thomas,

When should us non-beta folks expect the roll-out of climb mode? I can't wait to match wits with Richard!
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 898
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 6:27 am:   

Richard, Matched your score of 68. Any chance of getting it higher?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2381
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 6:55 am:   

Well done Ken. Did you cheat too?
I don't know if it's possible to push it any further. I didn't really spend that much time on it. I'll have a look. I'm also going to see if I can relocate another promising hand which I played early on. I didn't read the rules (what's new?) and only discovered later that any card could go into an empty column. I restricted myself to Kings Only, as if the job wasn't hard enough.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2382
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 7:45 am:   

KENNETH MILLAR.... you've got a lot to answer for. You've just been instrumental in trashing my scores for Interchange.
There I was JOKING about cheating and it transpires that I have been, albeit accidetally.
There is a GLITCH in the new Interchange game. It will accept ANY card into a space instead of Kings Only as stated in the rules.
I may have to consider suicide.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 851
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 11:51 am:   

Oh. It didn't dawn on me the Kings only option was on. Gregg. I wonder. When I first was playing that game I thought I could move any card into the open space. But when I went back I could only move a King. I have to go into both versions and check the options. I think we have learned who the REAL TOM from SCOTLAND is. Richard you devil.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 852
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   

Rats! I can only get to 67. I give up.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2383
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   

I have reported the discrepancies to Thomas & Co. Also, in case you've not noticed, you can "worry back" in the new 101 version, but not in the original game. Therefore no comparison is valid.
Similarly a comparison with myself and another person is invalid. I recorded 406 straight LOSSES without any tomfoolery.
I rather enyoyed Interchange with these more relaxed rules. Perhaps it should be kept as it is and renamed.
Your 67 is a great score Mike. Perhaps if you worried back you could beat our 68.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 899
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   

Mike, Check this out. Can you add to it?
application/octet-streamMike's Folly
Interchange_one-away-from-69_ 15.pgs (3.5 k)
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 853
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   

I can't seem to worry back. I see what Ken and you did. Like I said I am done.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2384
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   

Mike, you can only do it in the new Beta 101 edition.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 854
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   

Oh. Don't think I will go back and try it. Maybe just for fun under my alias. Tom from Scotland.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2385
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   

Any more of your lip and it'll be a Tomb in Scotland.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 855
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   

Wait till you see my real alias.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 327
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   

>When should us non-beta folks expect the roll-out of climb mode?

Let's just say... RSN (Real Soon Now). :-)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 328
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   

>There is a GLITCH in the new Interchange game. It will accept ANY card into a space instead of Kings Only as stated in the rules.

Actually, the glitch was with the rules, not the game. (See the Bonus Game listed there.)

Here I thought that I was the only person who actually read the help file. :-)
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 856
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 12:32 am:   

I must confess I failed to check some of the rules and help files. I beg forgiveness. Gregg and Thomas.
Richard. Good grief man. You play Interchange games like a crazy person. There is no way BIG M from Scotland can keep up.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2386
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 4:27 am:   

Gregg, it would appear that you paid as much attention to the Interchange Help File as the rest of us. Familiarity breeds contempt and all that. It wasn't until Ken provoked me into trying #15 in the original PGS that I realised the difference between the two. Ken should accept most of the blame. No! Let's blame him for everything, including the Credit Crunch. Would it not be worthwhile just changing the rules in the new Interchange? It's a good game as things stand. How about Iowa Interchange?

Big Mike, the reason I play Interchange like a crazy person is because I AM a crazy person.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 900
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 8:09 am:   

Interesting exchange from a year ago:

Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 8:40 am:

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------
Hi Paul, I was wondering why I couldn't win this one, but I see that you have the "kings only" option turned off. Can anyone win it without using this option? I can't.
Patricia Traynier (Trisha)
Intermediate Solitaire Player
Username: Trisha

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 9:43 am:

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------
Ihave had no luck with this # with kings only turned on. I think it may be impossible.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 366
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 10:35 am:

I don't think there are too many Interchanges that are winnable with the Kings Only option turned on.
BTW, Paul, how is your brother? Still an avid PGS player?
(Of course no one is as avid as you!)
paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 390
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 10:41 am:

Hi Ken
I think it would be a mistake to have the Kings only option on
My Brother is Ok and has 59 to win but he does not want any numbers until he has played it over 100 times so i keep my numbers secret.
pondpaul
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2387
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 8:19 am:   

Interesting! How could you collate the stats if it is possible to submit them with two sets of criteria? The game is an absolute nightmare even playing it allowing ANY card into a space. With Kings Only it must rate as practically unwinnable. It's basically a form of masochism.
I am happily plodding on against the odds with the more user-friendly variety in Solitaire 101. Faced with kings only I'd just abandon it altogether.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 901
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 8:20 am:   

Richard, Have you seen this?

http://www.goodsol.com/pgs/spotlight/interchange.h tml

The FIRST tip is to play with the Kings Only option turned off.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2388
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 9:40 am:   

Briliant that! Thanks Ken.
I actually logged on to tell/ask you to have a crack at #463. It looks as if some fine tuning could create a high score. I got 54 with my first attempt. Just one card was stopping it going a lot higher. Frustratingly that card was in the tableau with just one card on top of it.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration