Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » Interchange Part 2 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 857
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   

Thought I would start a newer thread for this game. As I flipped through the interchange hands to try and catch up with Richard I saw a number of them which looked like they might have a chance to be solved. But knowing Richard had already been there I kept going. Even after I got to where I thought Richard was he was already 100 hands ahead. One thing I wonder about this game. Is the fact that cards are hidden make that much difference. Meaning. It is just one time through the deck. How much are you going to gain knowing where the cards are. After all. We can go back and play the hand after we go through anyway. So what is gained? In Triple Interchange it does make it a better game. But we still learn where the problems are. Don't know if that makes sense or not. Just thought of something. In the new Climb Version it would make a difference. Since we are timed. So never mind. :-)
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 2389
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   

The new thread was a good idea Mike. It looks like we've taken a shine to Interchange for the time being at least.
I saw the stats you posted. What's going on there? A split personality perhaps. If you have a peek at mine you'll see that I've just pushed through the 500 barrier. Sorry. (ha,ha,ha).
The main difference between Interchange and our old favourite TI is that cards get buried in the waste very quickly and they are almost impossible to recover. In TI I frequently ignore playable cards in the stock as I know I'll be seeing them again and again as the game develops.
The timing in Climb Mode is a poor criteria to compare players against. I pointed out recently that the clock will keep going even if the stock is empty and there is no playable card in the tableau. To stop it you have to select "new game". The clock for that one starts immediately too. It may be that all the clock is actually measuring is how little consideration we are giving to alternative moves. Also, the more dedicated/fanatical players will want to have more than one attempt when a high scoring game crops up. The best way to get a good time is with autoplay on, but that's usually not the best way to play the game.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 859
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   

We usually play games with autoplay off. There are some I still play with it on. But not many since you gave me advice when I first started playing the more difficult games to not use it. Anyway. One can always go to regular PGS when they find a particularly hard hand and play it there till they find the right path then go back to the new version to save time. You and I and many others are not really interested in doing that though. It would be nice to have some time to look the hand over before the clock starts. But since it is the same for everyone I guess it doesn't matter. I can never catch up with "Mad Richard the First" as far as hands played. But I will keep plugging away. I messed up that other stat. I was trying to be cute. (which I already am anyway) I wanted it to say "BIG M from HB" but I messed up. Do you think you are getting close to a winner is this game?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2390
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   

We all see deals differently therefore it is perfectly possible for you or someone else to spot something that's escaped me and get a winner as a consequence. I enjoy PGS as much for the banter and the reparte as anything else. I never hesitate to share my wining numbers with anyone. Similarly I'll help other players to solve their problem games even if that meant they would leapfrog me in a game table. It's just a load of fun as far as I'm concened, and it's gratifying that you've come so much out of your shell as a result of everything I chuck at you.
No I'm no nearer getting a winner in climb mode than I was at game #15. I'll let you guys know about any decent ones I come across. You can easily play them under name if you want. I'd have a rethink about BIG M though. Big Mike, OK, but M could be an invitation for some sarcastic comment. Thank God we've no-one like that round here. Ha!
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 860
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   

I am glad there is no one around who might make a sarcastic comment. At least for the moment.
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 329
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   

I am moving my Interchange comments over here (where they really belong)...

>Would it not be worthwhile just changing the rules in the new Interchange? It's a good game as things stand.

That is already done. The help file is updated, and the 'any card in empty space' rule... rules. :-)

>How could you collate the stats if it is possible to submit them with two sets of criteria?

That was/is already a problem with existing PGS scores, since different rule sets are commingled. All products using climb mode, however, are assured to use the same rules. (Different rule options are available as bonus games.)

>The game is an absolute nightmare even playing it allowing ANY card into a space. With Kings Only it must rate as practically unwinnable. It's basically a form of masochism.

I absolutely agree. Once I win a game of Interchange, then I may consider trying the same deal with Kings only, but there is no way I intend to play an essentially unwinnable game for hundreds or thousands of deals in the vain hope of finding a winner. (There are hundreds of other games that are actually enjoyable to play. :-))
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2391
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   

I'm glad you changed the rules Gregg, rather that make the game conform to them. It's highly likely that we'll lock horns with Interchange for a while and then drift back to something else. It's pontless playing any game unless you enjoy doing so. There are one or two I particularly dislike, but the vast majority are great.
Re the vain hope of getting a winner.... did you see this link that Ken posted recently.
http://www.goodsol.com/pgs/spotlight/interchange.h tml
Winners are out there but I doubt if I'll persevere long enough to find one in Climb Mode. It's hard enough when you can cherry pick.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2392
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   

Someone just sent me a scary movie. Jaws 1 or maybe even Jaws 2.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 861
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   

A scary movie? I bet every thing in it was smiling. I can't believe you have played over 600 games of Interchange already. It would take me four days just to click through that many. But I will try.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 902
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   

How does Climb Mode work? Can you start at any # and "climb" from there? Or do you have to start at #1?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2393
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   

Ken...In Climb Mode you start at #1 but if you click on "new game" you can skip as many as you want Obviously if you were going to do that it would affect your score and your standing in the table.
Mike...Smiling? All the better to eat you with?
Yes I've played 600+ already. 651 to be exact. Some of them don't take long as few moves are available. Others can take a bit longer as there can be alternative moves and I always go back and investigate them further. If those turn out to be lemons too, I don't bother going back to the way that gave me the best score. I just move on. I may stop at 1000 unless I can beat my current high score.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 864
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 6:27 pm:   

Someone is always smiling when disaster is about to happen. Did the lead actor have a good speaking voice. I know the other participant may not have many words to say. I need to look at the Interchange section of this forum and see where the first solvable hand is. You may have to play several thousand hands. No holiday for you.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2397
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   

My speakers aint working, so it was a silent film. Will check the plumbing tomorrow (today!!).
Here's a little pic to keep you on your toes.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 865
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   

700 hands and you couldn't win ONE? And I thought you were good at this. :-)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2399
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 3:58 am:   

Then you were mistaken (as is frequently the case according to Mrs.B.). BTW,is she you Honey Bee?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2401
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 7:14 am:   

WELL! Should I be honoured to have a crocodile named after me? It certainly looks younger than me, so does that make me an old croc? I suppose this means that I'll have to get something which I can name Mike. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 867
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 9:56 am:   

A Killer Bee would probably be more specific. Remember. Little Richard a good boy. And I don't have to clean up after him like the other denizens that lurk around here.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 868
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 10:25 am:   

BTW. I know you have won Interchange many times.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2402
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   

I don't honestly know how many times I've won Interchange. Chances are I just used the same numbers as other folk posted. I don't know if I had an original one or not.
I think I may go and check out some ornaments tomorrow. Maybe buy a an antique goat or perhaps a donkey(or similar).
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 869
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   

Not a Donkey. An Elephant would be closer to what you want. But it's your ornament.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2403
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 4:53 am:   

OK, not a donkey. How about a fox, a crafty old fox? I see you've managed to play more Interchange games than me now. Your time is remarkable too! Am I the only one who goes and makes a cuppa and leaves the clock running? Had you managed to jump to the top of the table I may have had to look for Toad ornament.
We were out most of yesterday so I didn't play many, also I'm starting to get a bit bored with playing large numbers of games that are clearly unwinnable. Many of them are full of face cards, some of which are blocking in vital aces. At least every gets dealt the same hands so nobody gets a raw deal.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 870
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 10:06 am:   

I often fall asleep while playing. It's not a good thing to do when you are playing a timed hand. I look at some of those hands and it seems they are the same ones every time. Lots of kings and high cards. But hardly ever aces in any numbers. Or the aces are followed by high cards. It would nice to get a chance to play a hand out more often. But that's the kind of game it is. A crafty fox would not end up surrounded by dogs.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2404
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 11:16 am:   

Read this when you wake up Mike.......Narcolepsy!
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 871
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 11:37 am:   

I feel like it might be that. I fall asleep playing golf. And I used to doze off playing tennis too.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2405
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   

Don't take up swimming.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 872
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   

Ok. I won't. Never could swim very good anyway.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 876
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   

Any of you who solved #7744 before. Try it again and show me how. It's got me stumped.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2416
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   

You've been spending too much time climbing Mike.
That's not very difficult.
Tip....Don't take the 3D from the stock. Wait for the one in column 5.

Nice to see you back. That's not quite the same as saying I like to see the back of you.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2417
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   

Oops. Wrong game. I'll get back to you.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2418
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 6:53 pm:   

It aint winnable Mike unless you go up into options and uncheck "kings only". I failed miserably myself until I realised the problem
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 877
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   

Richard. I do have the "kings only" option unchecked. I still can't get it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2419
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 6:00 am:   

Mike, I've just checked in the previous Interchange section. Paul uploaded his solution. Get back to me if you can't open it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2420
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   

(Geoff Seelhoff..Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 12:51 pm:-) I am moving my Interchange comments over here (where they really belong)...
(Responding to Richard Mechen who wrote) :- Would it not be worthwhile just changing the rules in the new Interchange? It's a good game as things stand.

Geoff's reply..... That is already done. The help file is updated, and the 'any card in empty space' rule... rules.

In fact that is NOT what ocurred.
The rules of the 101 games are now identical to those in the original PGS game. Kings rule. Worrying back is no longer possible either.
Pity.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 878
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   

Don't know why I could not figure it out. Because I don't know what I am doing. That's why. I didn't notice Pauls solution when I did the search before. Just shows again how little I pay attention. I thought the last few games of Interchange I had played where I could get to where I could move cards around everything went right. If I can get another game where I can do that I will try. It's tough to get even to that point. I did have one game I thought might be winnable. I should have written it down so you could try it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2421
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 6:53 pm:   

Talking about not noticing things Mike, did you see my post immediately above yours? The 101 version of Interchange is now harder than the original PGS one where you can uncheck the kings only tab. Anyway in this age of insane political correctness, why hasn't someone complained that "kings only" is sexist? What about "queens only"? No! Scrap that idea. Not all queens are females. Oh no, I'm not being homophobic am I? It's not safe to open your mouth these days.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 879
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   

That will never stop you. :-) :-)
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 880
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 12:15 am:   

I just played #1203 in the 101 version. I finally got a space and was able to move any card I chose into that space. Am I misunderstanding what you are saying?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2422
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 6:31 am:   

I'm all at sea with this game now. Did you notice that our stats or it have been nuked? I went from 1000 down to 60.
I can no longer move any card into a space (as far as I can tell). Recently when I get the last card off a column a king is highlighted underneath it. It will then only accept a king because I've tried moving everything else into it. It won't allow me to worry back either. I doubt if the rules will change from hand to hand.
I'd like to try your #1203 but the only way I can do that is to click "new game" repeatedly until I get there. I tried to get it to abandon climb mode in my alter ego, but it's having none of it.
Leaving on holiday on Saturday but have the gameshow interview to attend on monday before the rest of the time is our own.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 904
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 6:35 am:   

Mike, don't worry about it. Anybody who calls Gregg Seelhoff, "Geoff" Seelhoff probably doesn't know what he's talking about, anyway!
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 881
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 9:38 am:   

I thought it was a private joke between them. Since Gregg/Geoff didn't say anything. Of course he might have just been being polite to the old folks. Richard. You can always play the games in regular PGS. I know you know that. But thought I would leave a reminder. I am not have any trouble with Interchange in version 101. Except that I can't get a winning hand. Like I said before. I did have one hand that I thought you or some of the other folks might have a chance at. But I didn't write the number down. Wish I could at least get some hands with an open space more often.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2423
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 11:25 am:   

Ha! What can I say? My apologies to whatshisname. Geoff is not so much a nickname as a Rick name. Perhaps I've got Dickslexia.
Apologies Gregg.
Anyone want to buy a pair of glasses? Almost new. One careful owner.
I've just had a look at the stats again. I'm back at 1000! Am I cracking up? Shut up Ken! (If I want an opinion I'll ask Mike's wife).
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 331
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 11:37 am:   

OK, I have been confused about this (alleged :-)) problem with Interchange, but I think that I finally have it figured out.

Here are the clues:

>The rules of the 101 games are now identical to those in the original PGS game. Kings rule.
>The 101 version of Interchange is now harder than the original PGS one where you can uncheck the kings only tab.

I was not terribly clear when I said, "The help file is updated, and the 'any card in empty space' rule... rules." This developer should have specified that (though I have made the change here) this fix will be in the next update.

This, however, brings up the point that there has not been a beta update since I made the comment, so no changes have been made to Interchange. It should not be behaving any differently than before (hence my confusion).

>Did you notice that our stats or it have been nuked? I went from 1000 down to 60.

Aha! The statistics have not been changed, either, but this helped identify the issue...

You are not playing Interchange.

Instead, you seem to be playing a bonus game, Interchange [hard], which is the variant that deliberately implements the 'Kings Only' rule. That would certain explain that.

Compare:
http://scores.goodsol.com/topscores/scores/pgs/int erchange_climb.html
http://scores.goodsol.com/topscores/scores/pgs/int erchangehard_climb.html

>Worrying back is no longer possible either.
>"It won't allow me to worry back either.

This is worrying (pardon the pun), as I have no problem with this on either Interchange or Interchange [hard]. With autoplay enabled, the game may immediately replay a card that is worried back, but one can press the [Ctrl] key while moving cards to temporarily disable autoplay (or simply turn it off via the menu).

Does this answer the questions? If you do find that there is a problem here, please be sure to report it in the beta forum (quickly!) so that we can be sure to address it before release.

Thanks. :-)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2424
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 11:40 am:   

I've found what's making me look daft. (dafter than normal) I have two interchange logos in 101.
One is "hard", and that's where I have played 60 games.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 332
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 11:43 am:   

>I thought it was a private joke between them. Since Gregg/Geoff didn't say anything.

I figured that Richard had just given me a Scottish nickname. :-)

(My full name does, at least, have all those letters in that order.)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2425
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   

Unusual for me not to out of order! If I succeed at my interview for the TV gameshow on monday, they are likely to find that out.
I've played a few games of both the 101 Interchanges since my last post.Let's just say that I'm pleading temporary insanity. All appears to be well Gregg.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 883
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   

I really don't see what can make Interchange any harder than it already is. I understand that the "kings only" option makes it harder. But who needs it any harder. What is there. 2 games than can be won with the "kings only" option on. And 10 or 12 than can be won without it on. Big deal.
And I am glad we have the Gregg/Geoff mystery solved. But his real name is George.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2426
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   

Thanks for clearing that up Mick.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 885
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   

I try to be helpful. Don't start the nickname thing. You know how much you hate yours.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 905
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   

Mike, don't you love how when Richard finds a "discrepancy" in PGS it must be the fault of the game rather than his inattention to detail?
Ricky, have you ever heard of "Garbage In, Garbage Out"????
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2427
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   

No I've never heard of that one Ken, so if I ever anyone wants some info on that subject I'll now be able to redirect them.
Inattention to detail you say? Consult "Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 12:51 pm:" . Was it not I who spotted the discrepancies in the first place?
Are you familiar with the phrase " Hoist by your own petard"?
Check the French reference here :- http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/hoist%20by%20yo ur%20own%20petard.html
We appear to have gone full circle and are back to the garbage out. It's little wonder I love messing around with words.
Today (friday) will be the last time I'll be here for about two weeks. Have fun guys. Don't take life too seriously.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 886
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 6:48 pm:   

Be careful on your holiday. But have fun.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 906
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   

Richard, do your best to break the bank (or the banker!) Good luck!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2429
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   

Hi Guys,
Deal or No Deal update.
150,000 applicants were honed down to a few hundred who got auditions. Of these only about 60 were not eliminated within half an hour. Guess which group I'm in. I'll be checking my emails and post carefully now, and believe I WILL get my Golden Tickit.(banned word!)
I hope they have a free bar because 3 of the 7 survivors from my group of 24 are Scots. This could cost them plenty.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 891
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   

I can't believe you could act crazy enough to get on DOND. Maybe in the UK they chose contestants differently. Glad you are back.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 910
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   

Richard (or should we call you Augustus Gloop?), I can you hear you singing "I've Got a Golden Tickit" already. Good luck!
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 893
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   

Take a look at #1266 and #1379. They were two I found which might have a chance.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2432
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   

I can only play them on the original PGS version Mike as my 101 has expired. 1266 seems to have the more potential, but until worrying back is possible there are things which I can't try. Both good games though.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 894
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   

That's the way I figured you would have to try them. On original PGS. I thought there might be a possibility than one of them would be winnable. But I guess not.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 335
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   

>I can only play them on the original PGS version Mike as my 101 has expired.

Pssst...

Rumor has it that Goodsol Solitaire 101 is now available at http://www.goodsol.com/101/ .
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1233
Posted on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 7:32 pm:   

Richard and/or Mike, what was your score on #59? I got 43. It seems like this one has some possibilities.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1234
Posted on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 5:03 pm:   

Richard, welcome back! What say you on #59? Also, did you see my post on #15? I was playing Interchange (hard). That's why I couldn't initially get it, but I eventually got 68 on Interchange (hard). Do you think that's the max?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3498
Posted on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 5:27 pm:   

Your score for #59 is impressive Ken. Important cards get buried too early for it to be anything other than just an above average game. I'll play it some more yet to see if I can top your score.
We appear to have maxed out #15.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3499
Posted on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 5:53 pm:   

Can get 48 with #59 now Ken.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 10:36 pm:   

Welcome home Richard. Ken. I only played Interchange up to the point where I new it wasn't winnable. Actually I probably saw that Richard had not solved it and skipped it. Higher scores are possible on alot of the hands we played. But why bother.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1235
Posted on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 11:04 pm:   

For the fun of it? For the challenge?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3501
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 4:22 am:   

It's a bit like trying to improve your golf handicap Mike. BTW, how IS Debbie?

49 is as far as I can get it Ken?
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1236
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 6:24 am:   

Thanks. I'll try to improve upon it when I get home from work tonight. Good to have you back, Richard. Any details about your holiday you'd care to share? (If for no other reason than just to drive Audrey crazy...)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3502
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 6:45 am:   

I think you've got the lady's name wrong there Ken!!!!!
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1237
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 7:04 am:   

OOOPS!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry!
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 11:57 am:   

In some games I play them to get the best score possible. When we were going through Interchange in 101 it didn't make any sense to do it. The game is hard enough. Besides if Richard can't solve it what chance do I have. Also on a lot of hands you can see they have no prayer of being solved very early on. In the other games I am playing in 101 I want the best score possible. So I will play them out. But Interchange is hard enough. My handicap has been going down. I have to work on getting it back up. And I leave no golf clubs where Debbie can get ahold of one easily. We have enough deadly kitchen utensils available. Someone else's wife may not know where the kitchen is.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3503
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 12:48 pm:   

With Interchange I think that Ken and myself just like to see how far we can push some of the better games. Most of them are very obviously unwinnable so unless you enjoy beating yourself up, there is no point in playing them in 101 climb-mode. There are other games that you prefer anyway Mike.
You intend to work on getting your handicap UP Mike!!!
Stick to your policy of hiding your clubs. You could have given Tiger Woods some good advice there.
Liz does know where the kitchen is. So do I. The only thing left in it as of today is the cooker. The rest of our house is like an obstacle course. The floor is to be laid tomorrow so cooking will be less of an endurance discipline.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 5:49 pm:   

Mike, I might have to adopt your attitude now. I played the same number of games as somebody else on the board and I have 70 more points as them. But since the next closest person on the board is 650 games away, it doesn't make any sense to wring out the most possible points for future games, and Richard is 1750 games away from me, so Richard's suggestion about clearing the 101 stats periodically (once a year?) would certainly give 101 players more motivation.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3505
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 6:05 pm:   

And how may games is it that you THINK I've played Ken?
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1239
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 6:30 pm:   

Well, according to the 101 Interchange stats, you've played 1822 games, and I've played 59, so I've got a ways to go to catch up!
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 6:44 pm:   

Richard, re-reading this thread I saw that you never informed us of your Deal or No Deal status from last year? Did they ever contact you again after you made the final 60?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3506
Posted on Friday, December 04, 2009 - 2:10 am:   

I've played 2395 Ken, so you are hours of continuous play behind. Any new players thinking of buying 101 are going to find that they are an IMPOSSIBLE distance behind the table toppers. It will undoubtedly stop some of them from buying.
Re DOND, it would appear that they don't have the bottle.........and who could blame them?
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Friday, December 04, 2009 - 6:23 am:   

What bottle?
(Why don't you post your recent stats? Or have you won one and you're keeping it under wraps?)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3508
Posted on Friday, December 04, 2009 - 9:33 am:   

I recycled the bottle.
I did say that I was going to stop posting stats, but when Thomas lamented about so few people posting them I had a change of heart. I assure you that I have not won any Interchange games in 101. If I had I would undoubtedly have let you know, by email at the very least. Oh ye of little faith.
How is the parental countdown going?

(silent laugh).

(silent apology for silent laugh).
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Markus

Post Number: 361
Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 3:54 am:   

I am looking for a winnable Interchange [hard] game. I saw, that Richard played the first 350 games and did not win any of it and i don't play also 350 games, knowing, they are unwinnable. Maybe it is in future updates possible, to start in climb mode with higher numbers, for example every 500 or 1000 games. So that climb-mode players haven't to play all the same games which are unwinnable.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3872
Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 6:44 am:   

Markus, Doing that would make it impossible to compare Climb-Mode stats. For sake of discussion let's say that you have played 500 games (of something) and won 75% of them. Would you not be annoyed if someone else started at game # 5000 and won 90% of those? This is the whole idea about climb mode. Everyone plays exactly the same games. It is then possible to compare your stats with other people's.
For example,if someone played 4000 games of Interchange starting from game #1 and got zero winners (because there were none), it would be infuriating if another player started at #4001 and found one instantly. His/her 100% win record would make the other player look like a fool.
If you want a winner in Interchange (either variety) you will have to start at #1 and keep going for as long as it takes. The alternative is to play in non-climb-mode.
I've not played Interchange for ages as there is no competition. Other people won't play it either because they are so far behind it would take forever to catch up. They are also pretty certain that there are no winners in the first 1822 (minimum). It's not a huge incentive.
paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Pondpaul

Post Number: 597
Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 6:54 am:   

I agree with Interchange

as far as I am aware nobody would have found a winning game until they have played it 7743 times and got to the winnable 7744
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3874
Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 7:04 am:   

I didn't know 7744 is winnable Paul. Looks like I may have to recommence battle with Interchange. I'm not sure if I should thank you or not.
paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 598
Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 7:53 am:   

hi Richard

we had some correspondance in 2007 in the interchange folder re this one

I never play with the Kings only option so It is not winnable with the Kings only option turned on
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 363
Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 8:06 am:   

Richard, you self said one time, that it maybe would be a great deal, when you can start the climb mode on different numbers. The stats are of course not comparble, but is that for a game like Interchange hard so important? I think you are just happy to have won one.
But forget the idea. It was just an idea. I think Interchange hard will be a game, i am not playing in climb mode (as kindly a few others also).
Interesting is that, it seems that Quadrupel Interchange is obviously a winnable game. Is there also QI with the kings only?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3877
Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 11:35 am:   

Thanks Paul. I'll have a go at it again.

Markus, We discussed the possibility of scrapping everybody's stats every now and again (if I remember correctly). I'd have no problem with that. Then we could all start again from an entirely different point. There is not a QI with a "kings only" option as far as I know. It would be a good idea though!
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 365
Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 1:27 pm:   

Richard, i think, the more we discuss such things, the more we forget what great job Thomas and his team do. And you are right, the whole idea about climb mode would be for nothing. So, everybody have to decide for himself, if he than plays such games in climb mode. Do you have a winning number or is this one game, you haven't won so long?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3879
Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 2:34 pm:   

Paul told us that #7744 is winnable. It is the only one I know of. You could probably find more by doing a "search" in the "Is It Winnable" section. I'm fairly sure we won more, but it was long ago on a different PC. All my winners from that one are lost.
paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 600
Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 4:17 pm:   

other ones I have won are

and of course if you want one that you do not need to work out much there is always the cheating 2147483647
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 368
Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 12:32 am:   

Thanks for the numbers. By searching i found this thread. I didn't want to read all to find numbers. Have you any hints for the searching to get after that winnable game numbers?
I searched for >Interchange hard<(and>is it winnable<. There came 4 or 5 possibilities. I choosed the Interchange part 2 thread. Are there better possibilities?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 12:24 pm:   

Just enter Interchange. All of the threads with that heading should appear.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 376
Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 12:35 pm:   

I could win at least #1371621504.
#1007574 and #7744, i didn't match so long. Will still trying.

Mike, now i have 68 threads. Still a lot to read, but i found another Interchange thread. Maybe this helps. Nevertheless, thanks.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 377
Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 12:41 pm:   

Richard, i saw just this commentary from 2003:

#2147483647 seems to be a general winning number.
I can win any game in PGS with that number!

Did you try this number on your so long not won games?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3894
Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 1:17 pm:   

I've not tried any of them yet.
paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 604
Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 2:13 pm:   

I think some of the impossible games on the highest score table are because people used this number although I do not think any of us do this, as you are really cheating yourself. interestingly there is at least one game this number does not work on which is Frog
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 381
Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 2:26 pm:   

I did not try any game with this number. I think, i will do it, just to see, what you are speaking of. It seems, it is a very simple and special deal.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 382
Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 2:36 pm:   

Everything clear. Played Sea Towers, Interchange and one more game with this number. Not interesting.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3895
Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 3:09 pm:   

Yes, it's the famous cheats number. It "wins" everything.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 383
Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 3:18 pm:   

Only Frog did not work easy, as Paul mentioned.

I have 6 games not tried, 42 tried once, but i couldn't still win them and about 15 games, i tried more than once, but the first games aren't winnable and i am waiting for a winning number.

Gregg maybe is glad to hear, that in the near future i have played all. I found still some bugs in the Mac-Edition.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 646
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 4:02 pm:   

How about Interchange #15. The first, i can get near winning it, but i don't think so.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4280
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 4:51 pm:   

I don't know what I scored in 101 with it. Your stats get deleted constantly so it doesn't show the earlier ones, only the last 2000.
I just replayed in in PGS and scored 68. There is still a discrepancy between the two products. In 101 you can take cards back off the foundations. In PGS this is not possible. You can remind Gregg if you want.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 648
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 5:16 pm:   

I just saw, that you have played 3473 games without winning one in climb mode. I knew that, but forgot it. I may play Interchange in normal mode. Will ask Gregg about the differences.
BTW i scored 69.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4282
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 5:42 pm:   

I know I scored the same as Gregg when I played it originally.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 656
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 9:55 am:   

Richard, have a look here about the Interchange rules:

../3889/8418.ht ml?1269184994

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration