Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » Eight off - 1329567340 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

carolyn juran (Flcisme)
Intermediate Solitaire Player
Username: Flcisme

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   

another hair puller. can it be done... i fear not, i fear not.
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 2440
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 3:59 am:   

Calm yourself Carolyn. Fear not.
application/octet-stream
Eight Off_1329567340.pgs (1.1 k)
carolyn juran (Flcisme)
Intermediate Solitaire Player

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 10:30 pm:   

Happy New Year everyone.
1817443190 Has any one conquered this dragon?
Carolyn
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2609
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 4:56 pm:   

I'm beginning to dispair of this one. I think my best score so far has been 5. I'm close to giving up unless anyone else has made better progress. Trisha?
Patricia Traynier (Trisha)
Advanced Solitaire Player
Username: Trisha

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 5:05 pm:   

I have had no luck with this one. I think it is unwinnable.
carolyn juran (Flcisme)

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 5:13 pm:   

MANY THANKS.... I POSTED MY SCORES AND STARTED OVER. A NEW YEAR, MANY NEW STARTS.
CAROLYN
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2610
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 5:52 pm:   

I'm not on commission or anything Carolyn, but you should consider getting the new 101 Goodsol product. It does contain Eight Off and everyone competes on a level footing, playing each game in numerical order and amassing a cumulative score. You could be top of the table simply by playing it more frequently than anyone else.
carolyn juran (Flcisme)

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 8:05 pm:   

OK SUPER SALESMAN..... ARE YOU SURE YOU DIDN'T GET A COMMISSION? I HAD NEVER HEARD OF 101, I DOWNLOADED AND PAID FOR IT. NOW, WHAT DO I DO? ACCRUE A SET OF SCORES AND THAN SUBMIT THEM ON LINE? ARE THE TIMERS JUST FOR MY BENEFIT OR DO THEY HAVE SOME MEANING TOO. YOU STARTED THIS SO I AM COUNTING ON YOU FOR SOME HELP. LOL!
CAROLYN
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 967
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 10:41 pm:   

Beware of Scotsmen selling Solitaire. The timer is important as it figures into the standings. I will let Richard and/or Gregg explain it. Anyway it is fun trying to solve those games that others have missed.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2611
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 5:36 am:   

Welcome to the 101 flock Carolyn. It's pretty new and is gaining in popularity. Basically you can either play in Climb Mode or in the ordinary Random Mode. Most of us use the Climb Mode. You start at game #1 and play them in numerical order so that everybody is playing exactly the same games as you are. Every card that you play out onto the foundations scores one point, so winning a game of Eight Off will earn you 52 points. The timer is quite important on occasions too. If two players win the same number of games and have identical points totals, the one with the best times will be posted above the one with the poorer times. I don't really pay any attention to the clock. As you will appreciate.... a gentleman takes his time.
With 101 it is probably impossible to cheat, so the stats are genuine. You can rise to the top of the stats purely by playing more games than anyone else and consequently amassing a large score. Unlike the original PGS you can submit stats as often as you want. You don't have to wait until you've played 50 of anything. The screen shots demonstrate both methods of submitting your stats. You can do them all in one fell swoop, or elect to do them individually. You'll manage it OK. It's very simple. Let's face it......Mike can do it!!! (That was me gratuitously opening a can of worms).

And NO, I am not on commission. I'm Rich(ard) enough.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 971
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 9:21 am:   

And of course the screen shot Richard chooses is the one of him winning EIGHTY-SEVEN games of Canfield in a row!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2612
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 9:55 am:   

That was another little pop at Mike who happens to be #2 in that table. Never miss an opportunity. I could probably be done for incitement.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 968
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 12:06 pm:   

I will be #1 again soon. Even with my 8 or 9 losses. Ken. You need to catch up.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2613
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 1:12 pm:   

You're going to be #1 again soon eh Mike? Have you hired a hitman? I'd better get cracking and win a few more then.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2614
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 1:41 pm:   

You could aspire to be #2 again first Mike? I bet you are counting the days til I go off on holiday.

Kenneth, what was Mike's advice to you?
carolyn juran (Flcisme)

Post Number: 53
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 2:00 pm:   

are all of the games winnable? AND speaking of Scotsmen.........
video/x-ms-wmvand speaking of....
try_not_to_look_up.wmv (5029.0 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2615
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 2:33 pm:   

No Carolyn they're not all winnable. In fact they are exactly the same games as you have in your original P.G.S. collection. It's just that you are playing them in a predictated order. I expect to see your name in the stats soon. The first week in january is "Pick on Mike Week". There is every liklihood this could be extended almost indefinitely.
I shudder to think what I'll find in your uploaded file. I hope you realise how delicate and easily offended I am. Ha!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2616
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 2:41 pm:   

Hilarious! Thanks Carolyn.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 972
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 6:38 am:   

Carolyn, Another feature of 101 is it shows you the fastest time and game # each player wins a particular game. For example, in the Josephine stats, each player has the fastest time for a different game #. I find it fascinating that Richard's best time is for game #56 and I have yet to win that game. His mind works in mysterious ways!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2620
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 11:25 am:   

As long as my mind continues to work I don't much care what mysterious ways it decides to go about it. As I've said previously I refuse to be nagged by a clock and feel that solving times are largely irrelevant. It is perfectly possible to have rehearsals for each game under another player name and suss out how to win a game before you even attempt it under your own name. Anyone desperate enough to do that is welcome to the top spots as far as I'm concerned. I for one won't be bothering. I nuked my Josephine stats anyway Ken, so I don't think my time for #56 will still stand.
These screenshots may interest Carolyn.

This will interest you Ken.
application/octet-stream
Josephine_56.goodsol (7.7 k)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration