Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » Acquaintance « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 905
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   

Ok. I must be missing something in this game. Richard hasn't lost a game. And Gregg is doing equally well.
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 2451
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 5:17 am:   

It's a very straightforward game Mike. You just have to play the cards onto the foundations in the optimum order. If you have a choice of two cards you normally take the one which is covering something else which would then become playable. There was ONE game that caused me a lot of bother, #11 I think. It became a case of trial and error. I usually spend as long as it takes to win any game in 101. I'm not bothered with the clock at all.I don't care if it takes two minutes or fifty two minutes. It gets my best shot.
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 337
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   

>Richard hasn't lost a game. And Gregg is doing equally well.

Actually, I could only manage 47 points on deal #10, so not quite "equally"... :-)

The trick is that you can choose not to play a card in some circumstances, if being able to play one of the same rank later would be useful. For example, playing a King onto a foundation is often only necessary if the card below is immediately playable, since it does not lead to any additional opportunities (but, rather, closes one foundation). Sometimes, declining to take one card causes a subsequent redeal to be arranged in such a way as to make a big difference, too.

The hardest thing about the game, now, is deciding whether or not to start again in order to find the winning plays for deal #10. :-)
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   

OK, this thread made me go back and restart and go from a 3-3 record to a 6-0 record (OK, I'd only played 6 games). I'll have to see if I can win #10.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2454
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   

I just thought I'd cheer you guys up with the information that I had a bit of bother with other numbers above those you've reached. It does give you the advantage of knowing that at least the first 15 are winnable. Have fun.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 907
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   

Thanks. I guess I don't see this game as well as you all. I thought I was choosing the right cards to play. But I am missing something.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Blackie9

Post Number: 342
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   

Ive won the first 28 games but im getting an error when I thy to post. btw richard my average time is 1 min and 44 sec.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 343
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   

It is a game Ive plyed alot as you can see from the regular scores.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2503
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   

I pay no attention to the clock Ken. I could lower my times if I wanted to but can't see the point. I'm invariably watching/listening to the TV simultaneously. I've clocked up 91 consecutive wins despite this. My best time is 1min 26secs apparently.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 938
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 6:45 am:   

Doesnt matter which bowl they play in- it likely will be a loss. MSU beat 0 teams that are currently in the top 25. They even lost to Cal, which lost to an average Maryland squad. What makes anyone think the spartans could beat the 3rd or 4th best SEC team? (assuming the 2nd best SEC team makes a BCS bowl game).

Expect a return to 5-7 mediocrity next year, similar to Illinois' drop this year after 1 good year.

Inappropriate? Alert us. Post a commentPosted by blankrick on 11/22/08 at 10:53PM
I heard a rumor that MSU was going to the Fred Julian Bowl. It will be played at Houseman Field, and their likely opponent is Grand Rapids Community College. Good luck Spartys, you will need it.

Gregg, your fans are vicious!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2506
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 9:47 am:   

Hey Mike! Let's talk about something interesting.....like golf. Naaa! Forget it.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 939
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   

Or how about how you're going to celebrate Thanksgiving over in Scotland?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 924
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   

Yes. More golf talk. Never mind I am quitting. I am playing the worst I ever have. Did you get my email?
I still have not figured out Acquaintance. It is beyond me.
Look at the stats for Canfield in 101. It took me a lot of hands to get out of second place. I gave up on some hands so I did not get all the points I should have.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2507
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   

Celebrate Thanksgiving? Why? Are they giving away free 8eer?
I'll email you about tactics and strategy for Aquaintance Mike. Looks like you could use a few tips about Canfield too. Don't worry about it though. You won't be #1 tomorrow. That's a promise.
I got the email with you accompanying your brother in law's singing. He's very good. I was just going to leave it there....but...In actual fact I was very impressed with your guitar skills.
Thanksgiven.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 925
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   

It's the other way around. My singing. I know I messed up a couple of those Canfield hands. I have since made the corrections to my play. I hope. Scotland will celebrate Thanksgiving when they are FREEEEEEEE.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2509
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   

Has your good lady been hitting you on the head Mike? Here is a quote from your last email "My brother in law is singing - I'm playing the instruments..."
The prosecution rests it's case.
I cannot see any likelihood of Scotland regaining it's sovereignty in my lifetime now. The credit crunch and an extremely devious and underhand deal regarding HBOS has undermined it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2511
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   

Taking the Mickey

Get busy with Canfield! See you tomorrow.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 926
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   

Look again.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 940
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   

What are HBOS?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 927
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   

Home Bank of Scotland. Richard will correct if I am wrong. I have heard of the Royal Bank of Scotland.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2512
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 4:47 am:   

Halifax Bank of Scotland. The Bank of Scotland bought the Halifax Building Society. HBOS was the first UK bank to admit problems and the government virtually forced their sale to a rival. Then when the stuff hit the fan soon afterwards with other banks the government promptly pumped money into them but allowed them to continue trading as normal. Therefore HBOS got a raw deal as it was treated differently from the rest. Scotland is pretty used to getting a raw deal from the Westminster government.
The gauntlet has been thrown into the Canfield arena I see Mike. Since you're so experienced with it now, how about tackling Canfield (deal 3)? See if you can overtake me there.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 928
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   

Deal three is easy. You sure about that number. Glad you cleared up the banking question. Now if you could just solve the banking problem. And I don't mean just shoot the whole lot of those greedy oafs.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 929
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   

Looks like KenM will overtake me eventually. Don't know how I lost those four games.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2513
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   

You could always start again. It wouldn't take too long this early in the stats.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 941
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   

Mike, I think Richard means there is a variation of Canfield called Deal 3 where the stock turns over 3 cards at a time instead of one card at a time. This variant is NOT easy!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2514
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   

Correct Ken, but I've since noticed that Mike has submitted stats for this too. It's a very difficult game and it's necessary to take cards down off the foundations (frequently the foundation card/s too). You aim to exhaust the reserve by building very long columns in the tableau. Ideally you land up with two massive columns and two empty ones. It's a great game but forget about the clock.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 930
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   

Deal #3 was easy. In both games. Ok in the three card deal it was harder. I did it faster the first time. I started over. But I have already lost interest.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2515
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 3:52 am:   

Already lost interest eh? Those darned banks.
Are we experiencing the first signs of "The Lonliness Of The Long-Distance Runner"?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 931
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 11:13 am:   

Could be. I guess we need to find a better motivation. Once we identify the hands that cannot be won. Which for you and Gregg and the Kens is not many so far. It may keep some people from not trying. Or posting too many games right now may take the fun out of a particular game. Gregg or Thomas can chime in on this. There are of course games that each person will have very little or no interest in. I am not doing well in Aces and Kings for example. I can't get that second deal. Anyway more discussion is needed to make it a fun experience for all.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2517
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 11:30 am:   

I've already decided that I'm not going to allow myself to be nagged by a clock. Whilst 101 is vastly superior to the original PGS for preventing flagrant cheating, I've got reservations about people posting their winning numbers. It will mean that anyone fanatical enough could clear their stats and know which games are winnable and which (allegedly) not. You could even practice winning the winnable ones in standard mode. There is no perfect system and no perfect solution. It could be that more and more players will stop trying to get into the stats tables altogether. Then we are basically back to the original PGS.
It could be that we are just a bunch of malcontents and ingrates. Input required.
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 349
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   

> I guess we need to find a better motivation. Once we identify the hands that cannot be won. Which for you and Gregg and the Kens is not many so far. It may keep some people from not trying. Or posting too many games right now may take the fun out of a particular game. Gregg or Thomas can chime in on this.

There are definitely tradeoffs. However, the heart of the Goodsol games is, obviously :-), solitaire. The high scores are a secondary motivator, for those who care. Ultimately, I expect that players will experiment and then end up concentrating on their favorite game(s). Additionally, I imagine that most players will initially just play the solitaire games without reporting or paying attention to the online scores (just like those of us on this forum are a tiny minority of PGS players). On the other hand,
climb mode was designed so that anybody could take the top spot (by score) of a game simply by spending time playing it, even if that player may not have the best winning percentage. With 101 different games (and 34 bonus games), there are plenty of opportunities to take the top place.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 376
Posted on Friday, June 12, 2009 - 1:49 pm:   

was wondering how many games you come across that can be won without using the last deal...like 2035039615 for instance. I have found many but dont usually save them. I do play many quite a few times if it looks possible. I guess after 1500+ wins I have to make up new approaches. I like this game also because it can be played in under a min.

Welcome back Richard btw
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 444
Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 9:53 am:   

Richard, which two games did you lose in climb mode. #149 was a stinker. Started it over many times.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Markus

Post Number: 395
Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 11:11 am:   

Ken, the first 420 games are winnable. Richard has replayed both games (he didn't win) and won them. #149 is also winnable, but it took me also 10 minutes (my average winning time is about 2:30).
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 445
Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 11:20 am:   

are you Bib? Yeah Im on #160 or so. I love the speed thing it gets me going but seems like I play a great game finishing in two deals and Im at 1 min 12 or so.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 446
Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 11:24 am:   

#149 took me 10 mins 42. Im at an avg of 2min 12 or so but a few 10s mess that up fast. Did get a 58 sec one, not sure how im pretty slow witted.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 398
Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 12:29 pm:   

Best winning time so long 45.9 s. I have had two or three games, where i needed about 15 to 20 minutes. Your average time is otherwise normal and as you said, some 10s mess that up fast.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 447
Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 1:33 pm:   

Figured it musta been you...I did get a 50.8 after I posted that. 45.9 will be unbeatable I think by me anyway.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 402
Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 1:37 pm:   

Yes, i am the Bib in the stats.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 435
Posted on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 4:34 pm:   

Played just game # 425. It is easy to win, but when you start the game and look on the position of the Threes and Fours after the first deals, it is looking like a hard one.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration