Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » Midshipman 172494945 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Sue Parrott (Sueparot)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Sueparot

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   

Help!!!! Does anyone know if Midshipman 172494945 is winnable?
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 2474
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 6:02 am:   

It's winnable, but far from easy Sue.
Here is my solution. You may not know how to use it so I'll post instructions beneath this in a minute.
application/octet-stream
Midshipman_172494945_Scuttled.pgs (4.9 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2475
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 6:28 am:   

Go into your P.G.Solitaire software as normal. Select Midshipman. Open that and the last Midshipman game you played (probaby 172494945) will open up in front of you. Just ignore it.
Look up to the top left of your screen and you'lll see...Game...Options...Internet...Help.
Click on "Game" and this will drop down.

Click where it says "Open game" and you'll get something similar to this.

At the bottom you can see "File name". You paste the following link into the box to it's right.
../18/Midshipman_172494945_Scuttled-5279.unk
YOU MUST BE ONLINE. Now click "Open" at the right of the box. Wait for a minute or two (depending on your download speed) and the game I've uploaded will run for you (and replace the cards which had been on your screen when you started this exercise).
Now you can go back up to the left of your screen and click on "Game" again. (The same as in the first picture in this post). "Click "Save" and you'll have a copy of it in your PC. You can click on "undo" and "Redo" as often as you like and see how the game was won.
Sue Parrott (Sueparot)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:09 am:   

Hi Richard,
Thanks for your help.
You've really done well if you've won this game!
Tell me, if I follow your instructions above will it interfere with my score - currently 250 wins 0 loses? If so I'll download your solution to another computer and learn how to win game before "winning" it on this computer.
Kind regards
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2478
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:08 am:   

If you do as I've told you Sue it will be recorded as a win in your stats. Your PC will simply load my game whilst removing your partial game simultaneously.
If you follow the last part and "save" my game before you play the final cards onto the foundations you will be able to open it afterwards. So run it first, save it, then complete the game.
Now you can either open the game under another player name, or open it again under your own name. If you do the latter it will record another win provided you don't forget to complete it. Some people use this tactic to rack up masses of "wins" albeit with exactly the same game number. It is more honest to do it under another player name and undo and redo until your heart's content. Nobody begrudges you accepting a downloaded game as a win. We've all done it.
Sue Parrott (Sueparot)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:45 am:   

Thanks, Richard. I'll do it the authentic way and learn how to 'win' the game. Many, many thanks for your help - you're great!!!
Sue Parrott (Sueparot)
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:48 am:   

I've downloaded to second laptop so can now learn how to win it. Terrific!!
Thanks again, Richard!
Sue Parrott (Sueparot)
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   

I've done it! Thanks Richard.
I can see the reason I couldn't get out was because I had autoplay activated. I'll learn from my mistake and remember to deactivate autoplay in future games when I get stuck.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2480
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   

Sorry Sue, I should have mentioned that. The majority of the "old hands" in P.G.S. have it turned off. I'm glad you managed to get everything to work.
Now that you've mastered that part, have a look at where the link you used came from. Go back up to the second post on this page and click on the solution I uploaded. It will open and you'll be able to see the link in the address bar at the top. That was what I copied and pasted into the ensuing post for you to use.
Sue Parrott (Sueparot)
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 3:52 am:   

Thanks, Richard. I'm learning all the time!!
I did click on the solution you posted in second post above but had no idea what all those figures meant or what I should do with them!
Could I have just saved the file as a Saved Game and opened it as per your instructions above?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2482
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 4:33 am:   

If there is a way to do that Sue, it's eluded us all so far. We just click on the uploaded game and copy the link from the open file. The rest of the numbers aren't designed to be read. If I understand it correctly, we upload a game file and it is stored in a PC owned by Goodsol. People wanting to use the uploaded file must first open in online and extract the link. Once you paste that into PGS in your own PC, the software will locate it on the net and do the rest for you. Once you get it to run on your own PC you can save it and have your own copy. Once you have that you can mess about with it as much as you want. You'll still have a copy until you delete it.
Sue Parrott (Sueparot)
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 6:16 am:   

Okay. I understand. Thanks again for all your help.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Blackie9

Post Number: 341
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 8:26 am:   

Very nice! Heres my version.

application/octet-stream
Midshipman_172494945.pgs (4.6 k)

You kew I would have to play it
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2497
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 4:05 am:   

Yes, of course Ken. You always were keen on Midshipman. It's capable of throwing up a real cracker now and again.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration