Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » Freecell Game No 1804439296 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Steve de Wet (Kosie)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Kosie

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 4:16 pm:   

Still trying to solve this one - should I keep going...?

Help!

Steve
paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Pondpaul

Post Number: 446
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 6:13 pm:   

Hi Steve

yes carry on it is winnable

when I played it the As is the first ace to get out then ah then ac then ad
not easy though
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 2656
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 6:19 pm:   

Very difficult one Steve.
application/octet-stream
FreeCell_1804439296_Rancid.pgs (1.6 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2657
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 6:23 pm:   

My aces came out Spades,Hearts,Clubs and finally Diamonds.
Steve de Wet (Kosie)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 3:27 am:   

Thanks Guys.

Being a relative novice (about 1200 games) can you tell me (Richard) how to interpret the .pgs file you have attached.

Thanks in advance

Steve
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2658
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 5:09 am:   

Hi Steve, We're always glad to have someone new in the forum.
This is the newer method of getting the uploaded files to work on your own PC. You are going to download it but you'll need to tinker with it slightly before it will work for you. It's easy and even if you screw it up it won't create any problems, it just won't work.

Don't worry if the dialogue boxes are not identical to mine. You'll have something similar.

It is probably easier if you download it to either your desktop or documents. I like to give my uploaded files unique names so that you can find them anyway.
This is phase one complete.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2659
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 5:54 am:   

Phase two.
Open your P.G.Solitaire as normal. Select Freecell as usual. The game you were playing previously (1804439296) will deal out on your screen. Ignore it.
Look up to the top left of the screen and you'll see this.

Now my game will roll out on your screen (totally replacing your partial game). Make the rest of the moves to finish it and it will record as a win in your stats (as if your partial game had never existed).
You now have a copy of the game in your PC which you can open as often as you want (or delete). By using Undo and Redo you can take the game right back to the start and see how I won it.
I think I've covered everything. If not, just get back to me.
Steve de Wet (Kosie)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 7:35 am:   

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the info but I am having problems...

I put the file into My Documents named
FreeCell_1804439296_Rancid-5576.pgs

but when I open it in Freecell it says

'The game file opened is not a saved FreeCell game'

The file shows Type PGS File so everything seems OK?

Any ideas?

Regards

Steve
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2672
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 7:53 am:   

I'm just home for a few minutes before going out again but it sounds to me like all you have to do is to open your Pretty Good Solitaire as normal, then open Freecell as you always do and then follow the above instructions. You cannot open the file directly from Documents unless you have P.G.S. already running. See if this helps and then get back to me Steve.
Steve de Wet (Kosie)
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 9:21 am:   

Hi Richard,

I did follow your instructions and tried to open the file within Freecell and the message came from Freecell itself so ....??
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2673
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:56 am:   

Everything ticks the boxes. I played the game in the original Pretty Good Solitaire collection so that's what it should take to open it. You're not running the new 101 Collection are you? It appears to need a dot goodsol extension rather that dot pgs.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2674
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 11:14 am:   

Steve, I just downloaded the file from the Forum (My own upload). I parked it in another place so as not to confuse it with the original. When I tried to open it in PGS there was no problem at all.
When you have PGS open and want to get the file to open, PGS asks you to Browse for it. Can you see it when you do this?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2675
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 11:38 am:   

Another thing worth trying...... Go to Documents and locate the file. Right click on it and you should see this.

It it's not there you'll have to hit the browse button in that window and locate PGS and then select it.
Steve de Wet (Kosie)
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 11:46 am:   

Richard, very puzzling...

I am running FreeCell Wizard 3.0.1 May 2002 on Windows XP 2

PGS does not ask me to Browse - it goes straight to

C:\Documents and Settings\Koos de Wet\Application Data\Goodsol\FreeCell Wizard

I then redirect to My Documents there is the file

C:\Documents and Settings\Koos de Wet\My Documents\FreeCell_1804439296_Rancid-5576.pgs

and if I select this one it gives the message about it not being a saved FreeCell game?

Does this help?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2676
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:19 pm:   

Yes that does help Steve. We have both bought different Goodsol products. It would appear from what you are saying that Freecell Wizard cannot read files saved in P.G.Solitaire. Perhaps you should make a post in the Problems section and wait for Gregg to respond. He's the daddy when it comes to technical stuff.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2677
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:21 pm:   

Steve......If I've got time I'll write the moves out for you. Have a look back tomorrow.
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 363
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:43 pm:   

>We have both bought different Goodsol products. It would appear from what you are saying that Freecell Wizard cannot read files saved in P.G.Solitaire. Perhaps you should make a post in the Problems section and wait for Gregg to respond. He's the daddy when it comes to technical stuff.

Honestly, I am not that knowledgeable about FreeCell Wizard, but I suspect that you are correct about the saved games (from an older product) being incompatible with (the latest version of) Pretty Good Solitaire. (Thomas would be the one to ask about this issue.)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2678
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 1:02 pm:   

Thanks Gregg.
Your solution Steve......2H,KC up. AS out. 10C,7C over,QD,6S up. (Column 3 cleared). KC,QD down. (JH,10C),4S over.9S up.2D over.2S out.2D up.3S,4S out. 9S down. (8H,7C) over.KH up.7D over. 6S down.9H over. (col.8 cleared). KH down.5D onto 6S. (10C,9H),(QC,JH),(10C,9H) over.5D over. 6S,7D,6S),5D,JS,7C over. (10D,9S,8H),7C,6H,5C over.10H up. 3D over.AC,5S out. (5D,4C,3D) over.6S out. (6C,5D,4C,3D) over. 2C out. 10S over.3C out. 4D over.3C,2H down. 6D,KD,9D,8D,8C over. AH,2H out.2D down.(7S,6D) over.3H,4H out. The rest will mop up readily.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 6:15 pm:   

You can't load saved games from PGS into the Wizard games or vice versa, they weren't designed for that.

At least, you can't do it directly - actually, if you edit a saved game of FreeCell saved from PGS and change the first number from an 11 to a 1, it should actually work in FreeCell Wizard (at least in the current version, I'm not sure it would work in older versions).
Steve de Wet (Kosie)
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 6:31 am:   

Thanks Thomas and Richard,

I did not know there was a later (different)version so would you recommend changing to PGS and if so how?

I would like to import my past games from FSW if possible?

Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2679
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 6:52 am:   

Steve, PGS is the backbone of Solitaire. Nearly 700 different games ranging from very easy to almost impossible. From 1 to 4 decks, and various tableaux and rules. It's brilliant. However, Goodsol have recently launched their 101 Collection. As the name suggests there are 101 games there, including Freecell. The main difference between the two products is that it's probably impossible to cheat or fiddle your stats. Also in 101 most players choose to use Climb Mode whereby you start at game #1 and work upwards. Therefore everyone is playinmg the same games in numerical order. Some interesting tussles are developing and it's still in it's infancy. You should go onto the Goodsol site and read more. Buy and download either or both.
I know nothing about carrying forward your scores from Freecell Wizard but my gut feeling is no.
Steve de Wet (Kosie)
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 7:03 am:   

Hi Richard,

Just used your solution (felt a bit of a fraud!) but it worked so thanks a lot...

FYI (6S,7D,6S) should be (8S,7D,6S) or is that a bit picky?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2680
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:31 am:   

It's tricky jumping back and forwards and writing out solutions. It's very easy to make mistakes. That's why I hate doing it. You managed to use it though so all's well that ends well. Don't worry about being a fraud by using my solution. There are a few people in the Stats who have practically made a career out of flagrant cheating.
Can we look forward to seeing your name in the new squeaky clean 101 stats?
Steve de Wet (Kosie)
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 12:16 pm:   

Hi Richard, thanks for your info on PGS etc - I have downloaded trial of 101 - so watch this space...
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 988
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 8:20 pm:   

Richard, are supplementing your pension with a commission from Thomas? You're PGS' best salesman!
BTW, my mother got this FC game in 15 minutes! Any other "difficult" games for her?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2681
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 5:38 am:   

Tut tut Ken. Not very P.C. Surely you meant "salesperson". Unless I was selling bibles, then I might have been a salesparson.
15 minutes huh? She's still having trouble distinguishing between the big hand and the little one eh?
Now if your mother is looking for difficult games, try giving her every second one that you play. That should keep her busy indefinitely.
Oh dear! It's like shooting fish in a barrel.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 990
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 6:14 am:   

Touché!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2683
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 6:56 am:   

Oh dear me! I think we owe it to Thomas & Co to try and recruit a few more members. We certainly take enough liberties in this forum. Besides, it would be nice to have a lot more people active here, and to have other people's problem games to try and solve. That's the aspect of PGS that I enjoy most.
Just how long is it before your parents depart Ken? Just days and hours will suffice. No need to split it into minutes and seconds.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration