Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » Eight Off #794095172 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Robert Schulz (Robert_schulz)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Robert_schulz

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 3:10 pm:   

Eight Off game 794095172 does not seem winnable, but I am new at this. Anyone got any hints?
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 3016
Posted on Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 4:30 am:   

Other players will be trying your game too Robert, but in my opinion it is unwinnable. Wait for some feed back from others before you move on though.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3018
Posted on Saturday, May 23, 2009 - 3:48 am:   

No feed back! I'll stick to my opinion that this game is unwinnable. The best score that I can manage is 9.
paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Pondpaul

Post Number: 473
Posted on Saturday, May 23, 2009 - 6:00 am:   

I agree
it does look unwinnable
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 2:33 pm:   

Does randomly selecting an unwinnable game effectively end a player's unbeaten streak or can the player skip an unwinnable game to keep a winning streak in force?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3037
Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 2:49 pm:   

The software doesn't know which games are unwinnable Robert. Unfortunately once you've started a game the only way to continue a "winning" streak is by cheating. There are ways in which this can be done and is being done. It's far better just to accept a loss and then make this your next target to try and beat.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 6:46 pm:   

Robert,

Yes, a player can skip an unwinnable game if the player can determine whether the game is unwinnable before making a single move. If you do a new game before making any moves, the game does not count (making moves and then undoing them will not work, the game will count in that case).

This is a powerful thing to use to increase your score. For example, in Gold Rush, I have doubled my win rate simply by not playing any moves unless I see at least 3 tableau moves available at the start. You could come up with a similar rule for Eight Off to require a certain number of immediate moves before making a move.

Many of the people who some think are cheating are simply making use of this feature.
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Annika

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 9:54 pm:   

I do that for How They Run. If I can see that I can play at least one of the 2 cards dealt to the cells, and have at least 2 kings visible in the tableau, I'll start the game. It's no guarantee that I can win it,though.

Some times I'll just play one anyhow, because I would prefer to play what comes up. I wish PGS had the steps feature of 101, then if I couldn't solve it, maybe no one else could either.

ActSol has no such situations.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3038
Posted on Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 3:57 am:   

Anyone who is interested in amassing a huge unbeaten total would be foolish not to study the tableau before making a move. In games like Eight Off where all the cards are face up you should have a pretty good idea if it's winnable or not. Once you make a single move your goose is cooked. In games where large numbers of cards are hidden you cannot assess a deal and guarantee that it is winnable. People with perfect records in some of these kind of games leave themselves wide open to criticism and accusations of cheating. In the 101 collection Mike Butler has proven that it is possible to win over a thousand consecutive Eight Off's without refusing to play any hand. Well done Mike. There would be little point in playing solitaire at all if all the games were winnable. It's that unknown element that provides the buzz.
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Annika

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 7:33 am:   

Some of them ARE always winnable, such as Free Fan, in which someone has posted over 100% with over 30,000 wins. I'll never play any game 30,000 times, but I do like to compete (I'm a tournament bridge player). The only top score I have is Spider Web in Action Sol, where I think cheating is not possible.

The "buzz", to me, is to work on a difficult game for a long time, and finally win it! I play solitaire for enjoyment, and play only the games I like.
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, June 05, 2009 - 9:27 am:   

If you play the game in numerical sequence starting from number 1 you may be able to find out from other players the game number of the lowest unwinnable game. With that in mind, does anyone know the lowest game number that is unwinnable for Eight Off?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Friday, June 05, 2009 - 12:12 pm:   

I had 1100 wins in Goodsol 101 before I messed up and hit a wrong button and erased them. (Back Up, Stupid) (Me) So you can start from there in regular PGS.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Friday, June 05, 2009 - 1:04 pm:   

But if you want a challange try #794095172.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Friday, June 05, 2009 - 1:07 pm:   

Oh forget it. I am not paying attention. As usual. It's what this thread was all about. It's boring without Richard and some conversation. Wake up Ken. Both of you.
Patricia Traynier (Trisha)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Trisha

Post Number: 119
Posted on Friday, June 05, 2009 - 3:00 pm:   

I agree Mike.It is boring.I would make conversation but I am not good at the repartee that you have with Richard and Ken.I don't know much about golf either.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Friday, June 05, 2009 - 4:45 pm:   

Richard is on holiday and I'm going on vacation tomorrow. I'm headed your way. My nephew and I are flying into SFO and driving down the coast. Hopefully there won't be any earthquakes!
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Friday, June 05, 2009 - 5:11 pm:   

Earthquakes are what keep things rolling around here. Golf is simple. You hit the ball. You chase the ball. And hope to eventually get the ball in the little cup. Is everyone trying out the new Beta. It nervous time to solve and beat the timer. Some fun new games.
Patricia Traynier (Trisha)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Trisha

Post Number: 120
Posted on Friday, June 05, 2009 - 5:40 pm:   

How do you get to try the new Beta?
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 377
Posted on Friday, June 05, 2009 - 8:46 pm:   

>How do you get to try the new Beta?

Write Thomas (support@goodsol.com) and tell him that you are interested in joining the beta team. There are no guarantees, of course, because we may already have enough testers, but he is the one who can grant you access.

Also, if you are not already signed up for the Goodsol newsletter, it would be a good idea, since beta and upcoming products are often announced there. To sign up, go to http://www.goodsol.com/newsletter.html and enter your email address.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3047
Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 8:41 am:   

"It's boring without Richard" is it Mike? I hereby appoint you Chairman Of The Bored.
Ken is off on holiday!!!!! That's NO JOB KEN!!! The recession is obviously a myth.
Trisha states that she's not good at repartee yet adds that she's not "good at golf EITHER"! Now THAT is a classic! Is she insinuating that you're not up to par in that department Mike? No need to respond. That was a rhetorical question.
As you have undoubtedly surmised......I'm back. It's nice that my lack of input has been lamented. We actually got home yesterday, but some XXXX managed to dig up a power cable and subject us to candles etc for almost six hours.
NORMAL DISSERVICE HAS NOW BEEN REINSTATED.

BTW, Liz has just been signed of work for at least another 7 days. We may have to go on holiday again. It's been such a l-o-n-g time.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3048
Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 8:54 am:   

Since you're obviously missing Ken so much, here is a photo of him with his identical brothers.

He's gonna LOVE me for this.
Our regards to your hairdresser Ken. He's got a great sense of humour.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 10:21 am:   

I didn't miss you at all. Just said it was boring. Another holiday would be just the thing. I wonder who could have cut the power. I know I haven't left the country. Waiting for Ken to give me a call. He should be getting hungry by now.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 5:54 pm:   

I'm baaackk!!!! Had a great time in California but it was cold!! It never got above 68F, and in the middle of June? I guess I've lived in Florida too long. It would probably be a heat wave for Richard. And speaking of Richard, if you're going to post my picture w/o my permission (you'll be hearing from my solicitor in the morning), the least you can do is post pictures of you and Mike. We've already got Curley. Now post the pictures of Larry and Moe. (Has The Three Stooges made it across the pond?)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3054
Posted on Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 6:52 pm:   

Welcome back from your time travel Ken. It won't be the middle of June here for almost half a day yet.
Glad you had a good time. You deserve a break. 68F is OK. The temperatures here have not been great either. Some nights is has only been in single figures.
Was there only 3 Stooges? What about George B?
See if you can find us a tricky game to get stuck into.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 7:05 pm:   

Still waiting for you to post those pictures of you and/or Mike!!!!!!!!
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 11:03 pm:   

I think one frightening picture is enough. No need to add to anyones discomfort. Back to solving.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3055
Posted on Monday, June 15, 2009 - 4:21 am:   

I surrender Ken. Here is one of me.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Monday, June 15, 2009 - 6:11 am:   

How do you have time to play PGS with all those kids you've adopted?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3056
Posted on Monday, June 15, 2009 - 6:42 am:   

You've forgotten about our au pair?
donna doyle (Momdoyle6)
Solitaire Player
Username: Momdoyle6

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 11:10 pm:   

Richard you sure are cute!!!!!!!!!He He,I hear some conversations going on about driving that sound like there are some "calis" in here besides me.hmmmmmm??
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3063
Posted on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 5:01 am:   

Thanks Donna. I'll admit that that's my good side.
Driving does seem to feature in our exchanges...... Mike likes driving balls up fairways, Ken likes driving himself to the limit by cycling all the time (at his age too!), and I like driving the both of them mad. What are mates for!
It's high time you were finding another nasty game for me just to keep me on my toes, (and to keep me out of mischief).

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration