Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » Canfield (Deal 3) « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 3261
Posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 4:41 am:   

Game #19 has got under my skin. I've got my friend Mike to thank for that. Seriously Mike....thank you!
This is an absolute gem of a game and I can't see me giving up on it for a very long time,unless I actually win it, or some of you guys come to my rescue. The game looks totally impossible. As each door opens another one slums in your face. What I can tell you is that I can get all of the twos into play, and can get the reserve down to just 5 cards. Over to you guys.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 1212
Posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 11:47 am:   

You mean to say you beat that one the first time through? Or was it one of your, and I can't believe I am saying this, losers.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 12:15 pm:   

I've got it to 12.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1214
Posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 12:20 pm:   

Make that 13. It just depends on how you want to play a card or two and then quit. Or perhaps throw the whole thing into the ocean. I knew there was a reason I passed this one by.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3262
Posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 12:50 pm:   

I lost this game first time through Mike, and I am reasonably certain I will lose it again the second time through. I'm impressed with your score of 12 far less your 13. If you saved it perhaps you could upload it. I've no idea what score I've achieved with it. All I can say is that it is currently 1 at the most advanced position I've managed.I've been playing it on and off for hours. Thanks for trying BTW.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 5:43 pm:   

Here it is at 12. I am sure you can figure out how to get to 13. I give up.
text/plainAll Yours
Canfield_19.pgs (3.0 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3264
Posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 6:38 pm:   

Thanks Mike, but I can't open it. If you are playing it in 101 is should have a .goodsol extension. It's no big deal. I'm convinced it's unwinnable anyway. Perhaps we should both give up.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 10:33 pm:   

Playing in PGS. I am taking no chances in losing scores again. I thought you might get somewhere at the end that I missed.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3265
Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 2:34 am:   

Apologies Mike, I'll put that down to a "senior moment". I didn't realise there was a 3 card option in normal PGS Canfield. I've just had a quick look at your solution. VERY well done! I'm sure you've done better than me. Will examine it more thoroughly later. We're away to see a solicitor just now. As Liz is still off work (3 months + now), we're going to sue her employers.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3266
Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 2:40 am:   

Well done Mike!! It's winnable!!! Just decided to mess with it whilst I drank my tea. In PGS you can't "worry back", so I'll have to replay it in 101 to put it to the sword.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3267
Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 7:38 am:   

The beast has been slain. Thanks for the l0an of your sword Mike. Will email you the solution just in case you've not worked it out yet.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 12:21 pm:   

Good job Richard. I noticed that worry back was not available in that game in PGS. I figured you could work it out. I will move on. Trying to get into 4th place in penquin.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 12:22 pm:   

BTW. Any others you want me to solve for you.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3268
Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 1:34 pm:   

I expect I could make you a list Mike. Perhaps I should re-inflate my ego by knocking you off the top of the Canfield table. Nah! Perhaps not. I'd hate if "Age Concern" started giving me a hard time.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3269
Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 1:37 pm:   

BTW you'd better not get too close up behind that penguin. (They eat fish you know?)...
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 3:24 pm:   

I might as well get a job at the zoo cleaning up. I have experience. So some Penquin droppings won't bother me. I am done with Canfield. We both know why. So there is only one game in 101 that I have interest in.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3270
Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 4:27 pm:   

Never mind Mike, I'm going to get you a Christmas present. I was thinking along the lines of a pooper-scooper with your name engraved on it. I'll even allow you to pick the colour. I'm getting browned off too (no pun intended) with the 101 tables. I can see no merit in chasing someone who is just racking up points whilst making little serious attempt to win games. I wonder just how many other players believe that the way the tables are compiled needs a rethink.
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Annika

Post Number: 143
Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 4:44 pm:   

You mean that if one has the steps option, people can still cheat?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3271
Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 5:41 pm:   

It's NOT possible to cheat in Climb Mode as far as I know. Well that is ALMOST true. If you so desired you could play every game in standard Solitaire mode and then replay it in Climb Mode after you knew how to win it. That would certainly increase your percentage but it would slash your average times too. You'd have to be pretty desperate to resort to this though.
What Mike and I are moaning about is that you can pick any game in 101, Freecell for example, and tear through the games at breakneck speed whilst making little attempt to actually win the games. For every card you put onto the foundations you get a score. It is therefore possible for someone to top the table without ever having won a game, by merit of having the highest points total. Someone who is doing his/her utmost to win each game could have a perfect 100% win rate but be way behind the table topper who has ripped through hundreds of games and accumulated a huge number of points. There is no point in even trying to catch up as the same thing will just keep happening. More and more players will realise the futility of it and just opt out.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Advanced Solitaire Player
Username: Markus

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 2:10 pm:   

Hi again!

I know, you all have bigger problems, but i am glad, that i just won my first normal Canfield. I hope, the next one would be easier, and with some experiences, i will go to Canfield (Deal 3).
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3272
Posted on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 2:14 pm:   

Good luck Markus. We know that you always try your hardest to win.
Markus Reischl (Markus)

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 2:52 pm:   

Hi Richard,

i see, most of normal Canfield is easy to win (2 to 10 for example), but there are some harder ones (like number 1). But its also clear, that Deal 3 is much harder, beause you have to watch for what card you play or not, to get the card you need.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3273
Posted on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 2:55 pm:   

One thing to note is that you can take the cards back off the foundations, including ALL the base cards if you need to.
Markus Reischl (Markus)

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 3:46 pm:   

I know (i just got that information with number 13). That makes the thing much easier.T that means also, you have to turn off the Autoplay button.
When i got all secrets off normal Canfield, than i will watch for the harder one.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration