Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » For Richard « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Markus

Post Number: 328
Posted on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 10:09 am:   

Thought, i start a thread, where everyone can post his hard ones for you Richard. ;-)

You wanted to know, which one i didn't play so long or i hadn't so long any winner. Here is a part of them:

Accordion, Aces and Kings, Aces up, Agnes Bernauer, Alaska, Algerian Patience, Alhambra, Antares, Auld Lang Syne, Baker's Game [hard], Batsford, Big Spider, Binary Star, Black Hole, Blondes and Brunettes, Busy Aces, Canfield [deal 3], Carlton, Challenge FreeCell, Congress, Contradance, Crazy Quilt, Crescent, Crescent [hard]

Some, you can recommend?
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 3819
Posted on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 5:58 pm:   

Alaska is not that difficult.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3820
Posted on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 6:17 pm:   

Batsford #2 is winnable. Challenge Freecell #1 is too.
You can use the forum "search" to find winning numbers of practically everything.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3822
Posted on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 7:17 pm:   

Try Carlton #3. I enjoyed doing battle with it. Have not played Carlton for a year plus.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 333
Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 1:01 am:   

Richard, i know, that i can find winning numbers in the forum. This i will try for those games, where climb mode is senseless, because it could be, that you have to play ten thousands of games to find the first winner.
No, before i play a game, i am watching the climb-mode stats for that game. Gregg have played nearly all games till he has won at least one game. So i know, how hard it is and which number should be winnable.
The worst thing is, when he could win #1 of a game (sometimes in about 20 minutes) and i am not. Mostly are that games, i didn't like so much, because there are to many face down cards or to many possibilities during the game, so that luck to find the right combination counts a lot. You know, i like more skill or mostly skill games, where you can see all or most of the cards as in Pitchfork (not yet in Mac), Baker's game, ...
But i try now first, to get a winner of every game, so, i have to play also those games, i did not like so much. :-(

BTW: That following game numbers i did not try for longer (see comments):
ST #1388 (did not come out within about 5 or 6 minutes, that means, that it seems to be a more difficult one, but mostly winnable);
STH #167 (the same)
Acquaintance #420 (did not come out the first tries, the 2s are very low in the piles)
Cheers Mister Richard
(P.s.: Did the Pub's in Scottland close their doors so early?)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3823
Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 4:22 am:   

I will try some more of your games in climb mode after I try the numbers you have posted.

There are pubz in Aberdeen that OPEN at 4.30 in the morning. There are night clubs that close around then. If you want a 8eer in Aberdeen there is always somewhere open.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3824
Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 4:42 am:   

Tut,tut Markus! I won Acquaintance #420 at the first attempt. My time includes answering the phone and saving the game before I finished it.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 334
Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 5:39 am:   

Hi Richard, i won it the second time i tried it. Time together 4:30 (2 minutes last time, 2:30 today. I changed a little bit after the 1 redeal.
I hate such games like Alaska. Up and down in suit, a lot of possibilities and i saw, that Ken won the first 7 in climb mode and i cannot even see to get near to a solution with already #1. But i will go on, till i get it.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Blackie9

Post Number: 433
Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 8:09 am:   

#8 of alaska seems unwinnable. When the cards to euther side are buried under a card....
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Kathyquade

Post Number: 101
Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 8:56 am:   

Richard, do you want me to post here from now on? Anyway, I think Bastion #920034641 is unwinnable but thought I'd give you a crack at it. Love the game and had a good winning streak going, but I'm satisfied with my score if this is unwinnable. Are you stuck at home in the snow?
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 434
Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 9:38 am:   

I was wrong as usual...#8 is winnable. Took 28 mins to win.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 336
Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 9:52 am:   

Ken, can you give me a hint for #1? I don't like the game, but i want to win it one time. There must be 1 move, i do not see. Maybe i find also a strategy, that makes me the game a more likeable one.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 337
Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 10:13 am:   

At last i did it (and without any help). There has been one so simple move (grrrrr....).
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 342
Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 2:38 pm:   

Richard, did you try my ST(H) games?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3830
Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 3:02 pm:   

Your Bastion #920034641 is unwinnable Kathy. The maximum score is 1. Post you numbers anywhere in a thread in "Is It Winnable". I'm certain to find them.
We are not snowed in. There was a fair bit of snow but nothing like the weather guys had forecast. Once we get out of Inverurie the roads are pretty good, so we went into Aberdeen to see Liz's dad in hospital. Only a handful of roads are blocked, all predictable.

I tried your ST and STH numbers Markus. I will have another try but I don't think either is winnable.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3832
Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 3:59 pm:   

Markus.....ST#1388 best score 5. STH#167 best score 3.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 343
Posted on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 2:40 am:   

So do i, Richard.

Seems that spring is coming. Only –3°C today morning. I have to find my shorts.

(But the weather forecast says, that we will have -20°C again in a week.)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3833
Posted on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 4:53 am:   

–3°C here yesterday too. Have not been out today yet. It is snowing quite heavily just now. We could really use some Global Warming!
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 102
Posted on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 8:06 am:   

Richard, I'm close to 50 games, but am having another problem with Speculation #11067420020. Do you have weather like this normally in the winter? In the Midwest where I am, this is normal for winter, and we've been snowed in, without power, etc., more times than I can remember.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 436
Posted on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 9:17 am:   

Sorry I missed your post on Alaska Markus. Glad to see you got It. Theres no real strat just trying all the possibilities. But like most game the more you play the easier it gets.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 437
Posted on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 9:22 am:   

btw Accordian is a simple game if you open all the cards and work a set of four like cards to the end...or close to it. It is an annoying game. I won 104 in a row back in '04 but dont play it anymore.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 438
Posted on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 9:43 am:   

Kathy #11067420020 is winnable. Ill post the solution if you like.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 103
Posted on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 10:08 am:   

Ken, would you mind posting the solution for me? I'm not going to be able to play PGS for a few days as my arthritis is bothering my hands, and I'd like to get to 50 games of Speculation today if I can. Thanks.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3836
Posted on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 10:28 am:   

Here is one solution Kathy. I know you're in a hurry. This is the easiest one you've posted. Winnable without the redeal. Looks like your mind may not have been on the job. Try taking Omega 3 capsules for your arthritis. Up to 2000mg in a single day is OK.
application/octet-stream
Speculation_1106742002_Easier.pgs (1.3 k)
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 104
Posted on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 10:40 am:   

Okay, Richard, I'll try it on my own. I can't type much longer anyway, so I'll save it for when my hands get better. I get my Social Security on the 3rd of February. If I have enough money, I'll buy the Omega 3 capsules and give them a try. This cold weather we've been having wreaks havoc on my arthritis in my whole body. Bad month financially too. Last month was too short and this month too long. Hope next month is better. Am living on crackers and tea until the 1st of the month.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3837
Posted on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 11:30 am:   

I can swear by the Omega 3 capsules Kathy. A few years ago I had severe arthritis in practically every joint in my body. They changed my life.
I hope your finances recover too.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3839
Posted on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 1:19 pm:   

Kathy #11067420020 doesn't exist. (One too many digits). I just noticed the discrepancies between the number posted and my solution.
I've deleted one of the zeros and have found a more difficult game than the one I solved earlier. I hope that this is the one you meant.
application/octet-stream
Speculation_1106742020_Maybe.pgs (5.4 k)
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Annika

Post Number: 151
Posted on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 6:02 pm:   

I thought you-all were going to post actual game names for the thread in "Is it Winnable?", so that others who are not interested in a particular game can just delete the email, without opening.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3840
Posted on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 6:23 pm:   

Ah! It appears that I'm not the only one who misunderstood. It is an excellent suggestion Jerri. I hope that the other "culprits", mainly Markus and Kathy meantime, see this too. Paul already created one for Pitchfork so I'll make one for Speculation, Bastion and Sea Towers.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 344
Posted on Monday, February 01, 2010 - 1:23 am:   

I got the information.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 12:22 pm:   

Richard, this culprit just got the message. By the way, I put one too many 0's in my number I gave you, but I took the extra 0 out and solved it anyway. If this one you just gave me comes up, I'll know I can win it and will try until I do. By the way, my arthritis is better. I just put on some arthritis cream and wore gloves for a few days and my hands are better. Haven't tried the Omega 3 yet. Will do so when I get the money.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 1:28 pm:   

Richard, let me get this straight. I'm trying to improve my score in Tuxedo. So, do I make a separate thread for Tuxedo? What if no one else is interested in it? However, I find it very challenging and fun.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3863
Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 1:56 pm:   

Yes Kathy. That appears to be the plan. I'll open one up for you now. Tuxedo is a good little game.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 191
Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 1:30 am:   

Hey Richard, you're a pretty smart guy. Can you explain why when I got up at 12 o'clock Midnight, I looked at the sky, and it was completely black -- not a star, planet or even a hint of a cloud. Also, we are in a flight pattern for planes coming into O'Hare Airport in Chicago, and there wasn't a plane to be seen. I've never seen the sky so black. Was there an eclipse of the moon or something like that? It just gave me an eerie feeling, as I'm up a lot at Midnight and never saw the sky look like this. Any ideas?
paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Pondpaul

Post Number: 610
Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 4:57 am:   

Hi Kathy
Paul here

there was no eclipse last night
Mars and Saturn were the 2 planets in view and Orion and Sirius should still have been in the west and leo in the south east so there were a lot of bright stars last night .
I think there must have been high level mist which was blocking it all out.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 193
Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 5:10 am:   

Thanks Paul. I have never heard of high level mist, but that must be the reason, as it is still black at a time when the morning should be just starting to dawn. Are you in the Midwest where I am? BTW, it is the blackest sky I have ever seen in my life.
paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Pondpaul

Post Number: 611
Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 5:26 am:   

Hi Kathy

I am on the other side of the atlantic about 500 miles south of Richard in the UK

Mist blocks me quite often when I take my telescope out as you can see no clouds but no stars either
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4019
Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 5:30 am:   

I'm glad Paul responded Kathy, because I'd have been in the dark like you. Ha! If the sky was totally overcast you wouldn't have known if there was cloud or not. Just one giant cloud with no visible edges I suppose. I don't know what airport activity there would have been at that hour. Some airports close at night. Perhaps O'Hare is one of them.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 194
Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 5:57 am:   

Paul and Richard, I just checked my local weather. According to them, the sun should come up at 6:00 am CST in the US which will be in 5 minutes. So far, it is still black even though the weather people say it is clear. I will let you know if all of a sudden at 6:00, the sky isn't black anymore.
Richard, O'Hare is the second busiest airport in the US and flights come in and out constantly day and night.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 299
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 12:27 am:   

Richard, when you're back and settled, I need help with Pitchfork #32. Markus helped me a lot, and believe it or not, I won a few games on my own. The forum has been pretty quiet with mainly Markus or myself contributing. We really missed you.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 301
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 5:38 am:   

I just solved Pitchfork #32 this morning. Can you believe it? I still need help with a Haystack game which is posted in the Haystack section. I think it is probably unwinnable, but I'd like you to look at it first before I give up.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4181
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 10:49 am:   

Thanks Kathy. The forum will be a bit busier now. We had a good time whilst we were away, but I missed my daily solitaire fix. Both of the games you posted in other threads are unwinnable. Looking forward to a few more difficult ones.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 314
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 11:45 am:   

They have all been difficult. It looks like I ran into a streak of bad luck lately. It's good to have you back. Markus helped me a lot with Pitchfork, and Trisha helped with Haystack, but i need the master.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 5:20 pm:   

When the Master shows up we will ask him/her. Welcome back Richard. Glad you are both back safe and sound.
Let's see if this message goes through better than my last two.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 5:22 pm:   

Nope. It was slow too. Must be the moon again.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 5:31 pm:   

Welcome back, Richard! Finally a voice of sanity (?)...
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 5:37 pm:   

WHAT!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4186
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 6:03 pm:   

Oh boy! Dissent and rebellion in the ranks! Disciplinary action may be called for!
Glad you are having some PC trouble too Mike. S-l-o-w isn't it?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 322
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 6:13 pm:   

I'm having the same problem with posting messages (see my post in general discussion). Again, could it perhaps be the new PGS version 3.1.0?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 336
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2010 - 3:00 pm:   

Richard, can I scan a small picture into my computer and then enlarge it enough to print? I have a beautiful picture of Jesus that I would like to enlarge enough to put on my wall.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4212
Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 5:24 am:   

I know nothing about scanners Kathy, but once you have the image scanned into your PC your picture program will be able to enlarge it, (as I posted in another thread for you). The larger you go the more definition will be lost.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 351
Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 2:29 pm:   

Richard, you haven't told me yet how you guys get these gifs. I'd like to get some of my own for my collection of critters.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4217
Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 2:48 pm:   

Just type "animated gifs" into your search engine and you will find loads. Look for ones that are free. Just copy them and paste them into a folder in your own PC.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 364
Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 7:06 pm:   

Richard, what does the word "blooter" mean. I heard it on the O'Reilly Factor on cable TV, and he says it is a Scottish word.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4234
Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 7:20 pm:   

Ha! It's Scottish all right. To get totally drunk is to get blootered. Alternatively you can blooter something (or less commonly somebody) by hitting it recklessly with little thought to the consequences.
In the game of Pool players smash into the triangle of balls deliberately as a good strategy, but in Snooker that would not be a good tactic. Anyone doing so would just blooter the balls and hope for the best.
It's 01.20 here btw. Time for some shut eye.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 365
Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 7:28 pm:   

He used it in the sense of when people email him -- not to be a blooter. See you in the morning.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4235
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 4:53 am:   

I suppose you could blooter someone's email in-box, but I suspect that another similar word may have been their intention. "Bleeter" means to talk a lot of rubbish. Presumably you could bleeter on and on via emails too. My father described bleetering as talking all day and saying nothing.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4236
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 5:16 am:   

I thought that this might interest or amuse you.
The Lord's Prayer in Doric.

Oor Faither, fa bides in hivven,
We’ll aye hae a gweed conceit o ye.
Yer croon winna be ill tae fit,
Sae yer wye o it maun be the wye o it,
Doon by, nae less nor the wye o it in hivven.
Gie us oor mait an a pucklie loaf the day, an ilka day.
An dinna haud it agin us nor we mak a cuddy o things,
Jist as we widna skelp fowk fa chunce their haun agin us.
An dinna scunner us wi wyes tae swick,
Bit ding doon ony o Aul Nick’s coorseness.
Michty me, bit ye’ve a haud o aathin,
Sae it’s michty you an aa,
An aat’s jist rare,
Ivnoo an fir ivvermair.
Fairly aat, min.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 369
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 5:19 am:   

Thanks. I think I'll email him and suggest that while blooter may fit, bleeter may be the better word. However, it would have to be "When writing to us, please do not be a bleeterer." Is bleeterer a word, do you know?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4237
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 6:15 am:   

Yep. One who bleeters would either be a bleeter (of rubbish) or a bleeterer.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 371
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 9:47 am:   

I'm going to have to read over that Lord's Prayer more closely. I can get most of it except the ending.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4238
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 9:51 am:   

And that's just great,
Now and forever more,
I completely agree man!

(More or less).
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 372
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 10:02 am:   

Is this supposed to be a serious prayer? I don't know Doric. But the ending you just gave me has me puzzled as to whether they're joking or that's just the way they talk.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4240
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 11:11 am:   

Serious,yes. Liable to be used,no. Doric is a spoken language/dialect in common daily use in the north east of Scotland. Obviously everyone also speaks English, and the Lord's Prayer would only ever be recited in English. The Doric version is what it would be like if English was not spoken at all. Everyone in the N.E. uses a great many Doric words in everyday speech.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 474
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 1:12 pm:   

Richard, how is your father-in-law? I said my rosary for him yesterday and included him in my evening prayers. I hope things are better.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4372
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 1:28 pm:   

He is unchanged Kathy. Thank you for asking. He was as sharp as a tack a few days ago and virtually overnight he developed serious dementia. He's been fed up of life for quite some time anyway, so it is a blessing that the dementia has resulted in him being in a happier,worry-free state of mind, almost childlike. It's for the best.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration