Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » Fan « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Markus

Post Number: 454
Posted on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 2:30 pm:   

I got with the update the right Fan starting formation (?) and had to replay from the first game. I am sure that most of the game numbers are unwinnable, but who knows.
#2 (45), #4 (10), #5 (39), #6 (30), #10 (45), #12 (16), #13 (3)
I have also 2 game numbers, which are winnable, but i find them nice ones (?). #7 and #9
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Blackie9

Post Number: 456
Posted on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 4:52 pm:   

#2 is winnable
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Kathyquade

Post Number: 181
Posted on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 6:07 pm:   

Markus, #2077650175 is winnable.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 182
Posted on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 7:36 pm:   

Here are two more. If you want any more, let me know. #981767616 and #981767617. I won your #7, but could not win #9. Also, couldn't win Ken's #2.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 456
Posted on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 1:15 am:   

Kathy, i am playing in climb mode. So, thanks for the winnable numbers, but i have to do a lot of work, till i get to those numbers.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 457
Posted on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 1:21 am:   

Ken, how could you win #2 with this starting formation of the spades?

The rules say:
"Only one card at a time may be moved to the foundations or another fan. Spaces are filled only by Kings."
To get the 7s out you have to put the Jack onto the Queen. For that you have to pot the 10 onto the Jack, but than you cannot move the Jack any more.
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 3998
Posted on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 5:31 am:   

Looks like Ken may have typed in the wrong number.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 458
Posted on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 5:34 am:   

Or he won it, while there has been a bug in the game, which isn't anymore.
As i see Richard, you also couldn't win it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3999
Posted on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 7:17 am:   

I'm not keen on Fan Markus, but I didn't beat your scores with the ones you posted.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 457
Posted on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 8:37 am:   

I won it in 101 unless its different. You can see there are several who are 2 and 0.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 458
Posted on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 9:00 am:   

I created another player in 101 (so I wouldnt have to start over) and it is slightly differect. It was a fairly difficult one. The 10s was still over th qs but the js was in a different spot.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4001
Posted on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 10:08 am:   

Well spotted Ken. Here are the two different deals for game #2. Anyone who is interested in posting stats would feel somewhat cheated.

Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 459
Posted on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 1:53 pm:   

It is totally different.
BTW Richard, in the second picture the deal is wrong. The last two piles should have just 2 cards and not 3 and 1. That means, the above picture is the real and right one and this is definitely unwinnable.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 183
Posted on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 2:31 pm:   

If this is Fan #2, it doesn't look anything like my
Fan #2 in PGS.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4003
Posted on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 2:46 pm:   

Which one are you referring to Kathy? The top one is PGS #2,the bottom one is 101 #2. That's what we are talking about. They should be the same. The 101 piles even contain different quantities of cards to the PGS tableau.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 184
Posted on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 3:21 pm:   

The first one which is the PGS #2. Are you saying it's winnable? I can't get past the issue of the JS, QS and 10S.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4004
Posted on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 3:45 pm:   

Kathy, Ken Blackwell was the person who said #2 is winnable,(2nd post on this page) but he won it in 101,(10th post on this page). Markus said it was not winnable in PGS in the first and then the sixth post on this page.
There is a bug in the 101 version. It is winnable there but not in PGS.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 460
Posted on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 3:54 pm:   

Richard, i had in PGSME first the same as in 101. I played Fan with my trial version on (?) work and saw the differences and i got the information, that the PGS version is the right one. So, forget the winnable one in 101. I think they will fix the bug in future versions of Goodsol 101.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4005
Posted on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 4:02 pm:   

Yes Markus, it is the 101 version that is faulty, ( I left a message for Gregg). The fault means the 101 stats are wrong too. They will fix the bug but the I doubt if the stats will be corrected.
(You played Fan at work).
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 461
Posted on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 4:19 pm:   

(I thought so (the at work), but it was to late to correct it, because i clicked already (the) "Post this Message" button.)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4006
Posted on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 4:50 pm:   

Your English is getting better and better. Now you realise that you are making mistakes.
(You go TO work. You don't want TO work TOO hard. You want TO play TWO or three games whilst you are there. Don't play TOO many games).
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 185
Posted on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 5:27 pm:   

Richard, thank you again for pointing out to me my stupidity about not looking at the previous posts. When you reach my age, maybe you'll know what it's like. I just can't win with you.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 186
Posted on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 5:29 pm:   

Everyone -- I hope you have a holy and reflective Lenten season.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4007
Posted on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 6:01 pm:   

I can only answer the questions you ask. There is nothing wrong with responses. I cannot take any responsibility for how you interpret them.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 187
Posted on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 8:37 pm:   

Richard, I apologize for my rudeness. I'm just sensitive about my confusion problem and scared there might be something wrong. Living alone, I don't have anyone to help me through this, and so I probably take it out on the wrong person, which is usually always you.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4008
Posted on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 2:15 am:   

Kathy, The older we get the more likely we are to get confused or mixed up about things. You are no different from anyone else. I'm not immune either. I do daft things all the time, and my memory is almost as bad as my eyesight. I suppose we are a lot like old computers. Our hard drives are cluttered up with loads of stuuf we've collected over the decades. The information we need is all there, we just can't lay our hands on it when we want it. It frustrates us. If you are ill it doesn't help either. We get irritable and tend to get snappy. I don't know how Liz put up with me when I was at my worst. It's easy to write off things we've said or done if we've been drinking. "It wasn't me talking. It was the drink". We should adopt a similar attitude towards those who are ill. Your apology was unnecessary, but thank you anyway.
You have no need to worry about your mind. You are solving complicated problems in PGS every day. Take a look at your last post too. There is nothing to worry about if you can compose as good a message at that.
Anyway, I apologise if I sound like I am being a bit of a grouch occasionally. It's not deliberate. My computer and PGS time is very limited just now. That bugs me. We are trying to do too many things in the house simultaneously and I'm sick fed up with D.I.Y. If only our workmen would turn up on the days they promise, we'd get our lives back to normal. Anyway, four of them are here already this morning, things could be on the mend.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 462
Posted on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 2:54 am:   

Good morning Richard,

"Now you realise that you are making mistakes.".

I realised mistakes already (?) earlier (?), but my fingers are faster than they should be. They do the click even if i don't want to do them (?) so (?).
I have especially difficulties with the small words: already, still, ...
They aren't in my vocabulary. I have always the Estonian word in mind and not the English one. I hope, that sometimes that will be also (?) go better ((instead (?) of also "too" at the end?).
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4009
Posted on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 3:17 am:   

Guten morgen Markus.

(want them to do so).
Take a tip from me. Tell people you have dyslexic fingers.
We have had snow "already" this morning. We are surprised that the weather is "still" not improving. "Still", other countries are getting worse weather. We may have discussed this topic "already" (previously).
I'm surprised at how well you are coping with English when you must be thinking in either German or Estonian. I get confused enough with one language
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 463
Posted on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 3:54 am:   

I cannot tell you, what chaos i have sometimes in my mind. By now (?) i am giving lessons in German. When a collegue (Kollege) (?) come, i have to speak in Estonian and at the same time (?) i am posting in this forum in English. I am glad, that i could erase (?) all the Estonian words i sometimes write automatically in a message. But slowly it is getting better and i don't need any more for a longer message 5 minutes. (90 seconds for this one.)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4011
Posted on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 4:24 am:   

(When a collegue comeS). Are you teaching your Estonian pupils the German language? I thought you taught physics.
I don't think I understand this part Markus....."and i don't need any more for a longer message 5 minutes". Can you clarify? Thanks. Apart from that your message did not need the (?)'s.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 464
Posted on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 5:09 am:   

On that school in Estonia, where i am teaching, is a so called German Department. Estonian pupils learn 7 subjects in German with german curriculum and they do at (?) the end both exams, the estonian Riigieksam and the german Abitur. They have then (?) also both diploms. That means, that they can go to Germany and study on a Highschool just like the other Germans.
And that's why i am teaching in German mathematics and physics.

At the beginning posting messages, it took much more time, because i had to (have had to?) use more often the dictionary. Not for understanding your and the other posts, no, for looking up words, i wanted to use in my messages. Now i can already write much more fluently (?) and that means in less of time (?).

Sometimes i just write and then a word is coming to (?) my mind i don't know from where (?), but i just know it is somehow (?) the right one (for example: the "either" and nor sentence last time (ok, i forgot the n, but ...)).
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4012
Posted on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 6:19 am:   

IN (or AT) that school........and they do (or take) both exams..........study AT a Highschool..... "because I had to (I have had to)" (both correct)...... more fluently and that means in less time (no OF).
......a word comes into my mind.
You are saying that you use the dictionary less and less and that you are writing fluently from memory now, using some words you didn't realise you knew! Excellent.
Gut gemacht mein Freund....(according to Google).
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 465
Posted on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 6:57 am:   

The "On that school" is a translation error from the Estonian.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 205
Posted on Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 4:13 am:   

I love playing Fan but cannot get a high score. My best so far is 72%. Is there some strategy I am missing? I know there is some skill involved, but it really is based on how the cards are dealt. Plus you can't restart the game and get different patterns. I don't understand the high scores that are posted unless I am doing something wrong. I found it is not a game you can quit at the beginning if you see it is unwinnable.

Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 206
Posted on Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 4:15 am:   

Sorry about the size of my post. I don't know what I did to have all that empty space.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4044
Posted on Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 7:14 am:   

What a lot of players are doing Kathy is playing each game under a second name. Then when they find a game is winnable they save it. They then go back to their real name and open the saved gave and it will record as a win. Therefore all their losing games are confined to their secondary name and their perfect record is maintained under the name that they post their stats under. This is the main reason I don't post stats. These players ARE winning the number of games they say they are winning, but not consecutively at their posted stats would have you believe.. All their failures are confined to their alter ego. What you see in the stats is a censored version of the truth. Some of us call it cheating. You are free to call it anything you choose.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 478
Posted on Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 7:28 am:   

Kathy, look here:
http://scores.goodsol.com/topscores/scores/pgs/fan _gse.html
or here
http://scores.goodsol.com/topscores/scores/pgs/fan _climb.html
You see for 100% you need to have a lot of luck. I would say that about 40% is a really good percentage. I have won 62 games and lost 96 (39.2%) from the first 158 games in climb mode. There had (?) been about 5, which "maybe should have been possible to win" (?). The luck is, that at the beginning there is no card sequence, which ...... (Richard, heeeelp) (obstruct ?) themselves (?). When this isn't, then it's all skill, which doesn't mean automatically, that it is winnable.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4047
Posted on Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 9:30 am:   

"There have been",,,,,,,, The luck part is if there is no obstructive card sequences at the beginning of the game, ie no cards blocking one another. When this isn't the case then it's is all skill which doesn't mean automatically, that it is winnable.

A pretty decent explanation of a Skill/Luck type game Markus.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 482
Posted on Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 10:39 am:   

I was searching for the "cards blocking one another". Thanks Richard.
(As i saw, you didn't get the normal ST game out, didn't you (?) ?)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4048
Posted on Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 12:54 pm:   

I had to do some work today. Labouring for our joiner. Will get some PGS time shortly.

(It would be....didn't get......did you?).

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration