Goodsol Forum » General Discussion » Miscellaneous #2 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Kathyquade

Post Number: 1495
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2010 - 8:26 am:   

You've got to see this amazing picture taken from the Daily Mail Online.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1332199/Bi rds-eye-view-Natures-way-imitating-art-flamingos-c reate-remarkable-image.html
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 6145
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2010 - 5:56 pm:   

Yes Kathy. Incredible. It appeared in our paper too, except that they had it vertically. It looks even better that way in my opinion.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1496
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2010 - 10:06 pm:   

It makes you wonder how that came about, doesn't it?

BTW, Richard, I saw on the news tonight about the horrible weather in the UK. Is is really bad where you are? I'm used to bad snowstorms in Northwest Indiana, but I didn't know it could get that bad where you are.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6147
Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 4:10 am:   

Our neck of the woods has been hit particularly hard by the snow. We stick out into the North Sea and we often get snow when the rest of the country escapes. They are forecasting snow across the entire UK now though. It's good to share. Ha!
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 1990
Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 12:47 pm:   

It's cold here. About 64 degrees and windy. But sunny. We have snow in the mountains. But if the sun stays out that will be gone. And yes. I know the sun sets in the evening.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6149
Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 1:10 pm:   

They are forecasting the maximum temperature for our area tomorrow will be about 24. It will be ten degrees cooler during the night! Can't wait!
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 1674
Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 1:53 pm:   

I thought 24C was pretty warm!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6150
Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 2:31 pm:   

We like our snow warm Ken. We also get the driest rain in Europe.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1502
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 4:01 pm:   

Richard, Happy St. Andrew's Day. I didn't know anything about this until I read the article below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Andrew%27s_Day#Tr aditions_and_celebrations_in_Scotland
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1678
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 11:42 pm:   

Check out THIS news story (per request):

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/11/23/2467169/in-ha rrisonville-thousands-line.html
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6165
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 3:56 am:   

Thanks for posting your link as I requested Ken.
It does my heart good to learn that decent people are taking a stand against the nutters. These head-cases are at liberty to protest as much as they want in our democracies, but disrupting funerals for young soldiers killed in action is neither the time nor the place.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 4:14 am:   

A similar incident happened not too long ago again with the Hillsboror Baptist group protesting at a soldier's funeral. The father of the soldier sued, and the jury ruled in his favor. However, the courts overturned the jury's verdict and ordered the father to pay an enormous amount of money for court costs. It looks like the case is going all the way to the Supreme Court where it is feared that they will side against the father. If that happens, it will be a sad day for America.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6166
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 5:41 am:   

The tail is wagging the dog in a great many instances in this country too. It's high time the dolts who make these stupid rules got a grip, and realised that the people who are paying their inflated incomes are the very people they are insulting with their total lack of common sense. We should construct special jails and just fill them with do-gooders and the politically correct brigade. Is Guantanamo available? And I sincerely hope you don't think I joking! Get rid of the lot of them. They are doing more harm to our countries than the so-called terrorists.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1504
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 8:04 am:   

A case in point. The President along with Democrats and Republicans met yesterday to discuss whether to extend the Bush tax cuts which expire today. They have known this was coming for 10 years, yet they put off making a decision. So at the beginning of the year, taxpayers will see approximately $400 less in their paychecks, and the income tax people will be going ballistic sending out new forms to businesses, etc. All they had to do was extend the tax cuts for a short period of time until the new Congress meets in January and then make a decision. Instead they made no decision, and the American people again are going to be the ones to suffer. These people must think most of us Americans are too dumb to realize what they are doing. We're not, but outside of voting, there's little we can do.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1505
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 1:46 pm:   

Want to see how fast your reaction time is? Take this test at the web site listed below. It only takes a few seconds. My score labeled me as an "ambling armadillo". This would be especially interesting for those of you who play Goodsol 101 and try to get the best time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sleep/sheep /reaction_version5.swf
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6172
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 2:55 pm:   

Most times I was a bobbing bobcat but I've yet to do better.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 9:56 pm:   

Better a bobbing bobcat than an ambling armadillo.

Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1994
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 10:30 pm:   

Rocketing rabbit for me.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1680
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 1:15 am:   

Mike, I think your reflexes have been honed dodging your wife all these years!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6175
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 4:46 am:   

Is that unwarren-ted Mike?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6176
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 5:18 am:   

Here is a genuine photo of a bit of our back yard. There are some sections of new fencing leaning at the back of the shed. A guy in the pub offered me them for nothing. He even delivered them! They've been leaning there for about 6 months. I WILL get round to erecting them. There are loads more birds out of shot behind the shed etc. Those that you can see are standing on about an inch of snow. That's what's fallen since I cleared it down to patio level about an hour ago. We are getting between 4 and 6 inches every day. Occasionally more. We have icicles draped round the roof that are about 5 feet long. It's the start of the next Ice Age.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 6:26 am:   

Sounds like you need to move to Florida! It was 83 degrees on Monday.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 1:52 pm:   

Those birds look just like the ones I have on my patio right now. Maybe some of them flew over to your neck of the woods to see what kind of food you're putting out. So much for global warming! How long has it been since you've seen the sun? You don't want to move to Florida. They have alligators there. Besides whoever heard of 80 degrees in December?
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Markus

Post Number: 1803
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 2:45 pm:   

NOT FOR KATHY!!!

Richard, do you know this words?

""Like a lepidopterist mounting a tough-skinned insect with a too blunt pin he screwed himself into her""
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6179
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 3:16 pm:   

I Googled it Markus. Until then I had not heard the sentence.

The sun does come out sometimes between the snow showers, but it is still sub zero all of the time.
Good news! NO SNOW forecast for our area tomorrow.
I'll get excited after the event though.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1684
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 4:03 pm:   

Don't worry, Kathy. The alligators only eat tourists!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6181
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 4:48 pm:   

Is that because the locals are so unpalatable Ken?

I was going to tell you the Billy Connolly joke about the lion in the safari park but I'd better not. It's pretty rude.
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 513
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 5:25 pm:   

>It does my heart good to learn that decent people are taking a stand against the nutters. These head-cases are at liberty to protest as much as they want in our democracies, but disrupting funerals for young soldiers killed in action is neither the time nor the place.

Coincidentally, (3 of) these WBC idiots protested just a block from here the Thursday before that article. They protested East Lansing High School, and their web site called my son and his classmates "worthless brats" and me (as a parent) a "reprobate". Actually, their pamphlet was more explicit but would need to be labeled NSFK. :-)

Now I have a connection to both major First Amendment cases before the U.S. Supreme Court this session.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 9:55 pm:   

What does WBC mean, Gregg?

Not to worry, Markus. I didn't understand that joke at all, which is probably for the best.
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 514
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 10:07 pm:   

>What does WBC mean, Gregg?

WBC is Westborough Baptist Cult, the hate group that protests at funerals of soldiers. (They use the word "Church"; I disagree.)
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1804
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 11:59 pm:   

Richard, i just wondered what awards your British press is giving. Didn't they have other themes to search for and to print than what is the badest explanated xxx-scene in a roman.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6185
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 3:19 am:   

W.B.C. eh? Somehow it seems appropriate that they have W.C. in their name, because they are full of it.

Markus, whether it be Oscars, Granny's, Emmy's, etc,etc, I pay no attention to any of them. They get paid large sums of money for just doing their jobs. They don't need my applause nor approval.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6186
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 3:21 am:   

I meant to add, if any group tried to disrupt a soldier's funeral in this country, they'd get filled in.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1995
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 10:32 pm:   

I often don't dodge quick enough and get a sharp fist in my bicept. On another note. My internet was out since early yesterday evening until late this afternoon. It really is a big problem. I pay bills on the computer. I know Richard doesn't like this idea. But it is easier for us.
Just a quick note on the entertainment awards. The shows that these awards procreate kept me and many of my friends working for years. We need more of the self obsessed honoring themselves.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 4:04 am:   

Since I don't go to many movies nowadays because of the crap (excuse me) they put out not to mention the violence, profanity, etc., and because mainstream TV and music are also like the above, I've stopped watching the awards shows completely. It's a shame, because I remember anticipating these shows in the past because I actually watched good entertainment and was interested in who would win. Those times are long gone.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6189
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 5:34 am:   

As you said Mike, they keep people in employment, and that can't be bad.
I can't say that I'm a film buff Kathy. I watch movies on TV only, but my first choice of viewing is always comedy shows, particularly stand-ups. Sure some of them cuss a bit on occasion, but as Billy Connolly once said, "No animals were hurt in the making of this DVD. No Islamic cartoons were used. (for those of you who don't have a sense of something humour)".
Our TV announcers always inform viewers if the next show includes bad language, violence or nudity. People know what to expect so they have only themselves to blame if they are offended by the content. BTW, I have old videos of Connolly that were shot before he ever uttered a swearword. They are every bit as hilarious as his modern no-holds-barred approach. It would appear that bad language is not necessary.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6190
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 5:37 am:   

I meant to add Mike, I DO buy things online and I've never had any problems. I also do my banking online and pay all of our recurring bills this way. I like it a lot.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1689
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 8:57 am:   

Mike, I do my banking online but not my bills. I had a friend who paid her mort6age online. She accidentally clicked the "PAY" button twice and TWO mort6age payments were taken out of her checking account and she screamed bloody murder to the bank and the mort6age company and after weeks of going back and forth their response was "Too bad, so sad!"
Give me a check and a stamp any old day.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6192
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 11:07 am:   

This can't happen with my online bank Ken. I have to type the sum into one page and verify it. It then showns me the next page with all of the details on it and I then click OK. Your friend would have been far better to have created a Standing Order that gets paid on the same day every month. Foolproof.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1996
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 12:09 pm:   

I really don't care for todays films either. There is perhaps one comedy a year that is pretty good. And nothing else for me. I don't watch that much TV. The CSI's are boring and so are the hospital and law series. I like a couple of comedies. Neither I would think Richard has ever heard of. "The Big Bang Theory" and "Two And A Half Men". The second is far to "Not For Kathy". But one needs a good laugh now and then.
Right now I am watching the Jeremy Brett Shelock Holmes series via Netflix. I like comparing what they did with the actual Conan Doyle stories. The excessive bad language that some comedians use is not necessary. But the occasional use can sometimes add a point to the commentary. Somehow jokes had been told without those bad words for years and still been really funny. Jack Benny could get a laugh with just a look.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1691
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 1:52 pm:   

I LOVE "The Big Bang Theory"! Maybe Richard can view it on hulu.com
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 3:32 pm:   

Mike, I have seen every Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett mysteries. I even have them on tape along with every Inspector Morse mysteries. When there is nothing to watch on TV, I just pop in an Inspector Morse tape and know that I will be entertained. I have never seen Two and a Half Men and don't plan to. I've also never seen or even heard of the Big Bang Theory.

Not only could Jack Benny get a laugh with just a look, but I never stop laughing when I watch an old Sid Ceaser show. I love the "Haircuts".
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6196
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 4:20 pm:   

We get the Big Bang Theory here. I watch it quite often. Any time I'm at a loose end I you to YouTube and watch all kinds of comedies.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1998
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 6:02 pm:   

Nerds in Scotland. Impossible!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6214
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 10:53 am:   

Wanna guess how happy I was a few minutes ago? Do NOT offer me the opportunity to fill in an Opinions Box.

"When someone takes the time and the trouble to try and communicate with you it would indicate in my opinion that they have something they wish to say to you. It is by no means helpful or an aid to that person's blood pressure to be confronted by an Assault Course masquerading as a Survey that asks questions that have absolutely no relevance to what your "customer" wishes to discuss in the first place. You may accept it as fact that the majority of people who take the time to contact you are NOT pleased with you. You are highly unlikely to feature on their Christmas card list. It would be a HUGE improvement if we could actually communicate with something other than a computer generated data compiling mechanism that does nothing but annoy us. This is particularly true as you advertise yourself as a Telecommunications company".
"What you really want to know is how likely I am to renew my contract with you, and how likely I am to recommend you to anyone else. Congratulations. This may actually be your first experience of clairvoyance".
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2003
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 3:32 pm:   

Are we getting testy from being confined at home due to the weather?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 9:50 pm:   

Richard, I'm glad I read your above post. I was just about to ask your opinion on something.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2004
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 11:01 pm:   

Go ahead Kathy and ask him. (hee hee)
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 4:35 am:   

You do realize the consequences if I do, Mike? I don't need an opinion that badly.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6215
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 7:26 am:   

I lost my broadband yesterday after a heated exchange with several persons of Indian origin. They were determined that they were going to sell me something. My briefest sentence delivered at my highest decibel level finally convinced them that they were wasting their time. I think they sabotaged my broadband after that.
If you have a question you'd like to ask me Kathy, feel free. I'm cool. BTW we have had a heatwave since yesterday. Temperatures rose above zero. Practically barbeque weather. Where's my bikini?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2005
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 11:52 am:   

If you find the bikini lose it again please.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1828
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 1:21 pm:   

If you find the bikini, put it on, take a picture and post it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6216
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 1:24 pm:   

Did I say bikini? I meant cagoule.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1519
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 2:48 pm:   

Richard, I had a similar experience to yours. I called my ISP for a problem I was having with my internet. I don't what country he was from, but I had to ask him to repeat every word he said. Finally, I was so embarrassed, I told him I was hard of hearing and that was why I couldn't understand him. I think customer representatives should at least be able to speak so that they can be understood.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6217
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 4:15 pm:   

A year or two ago I was connected to an Indian help line. It was difficult to understand some of what the woman was saying because of her accent, but I managed somehow. We came unstuck when she issued the instruction "rennim". I had to ask her to repeat it three times and I knew she was getting irritated. Finally I asked her to spell the word. "R-E-N-A-M-E.....rennim" was her response.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration