Deafening Silence Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » General Discussion » Miscellaneous #3 » Deafening Silence « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 6415
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 5:34 am:   

The US government appears to have nothing to say regarding the Wikileaks revelations that they were kept fully in the picture regarding the release of Al Megrahi from prison in Scotland. There was a constant stream on anti-Scottish vitriol for months thereafter, but it now appears that the decision was encouraged by the UK government and condoned by the US. It's just another case of the electorate being lied to by their respective governments. It's about time they all came clean and stopped using Scotland as a scapegoat. The following is just one of many interesting and informative articles to hit the press within the last 24 hours or so. If you have had any opinions on the matter you really must read some of them.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11944645
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 2064
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 3:07 pm:   

In this particular case which we talked about earlier. All information should have been released to the public. Especially when one group
(Scotland) was being held totally responsible.
But do we really know what made the Scottish part of this deal let Al Megrahi free. It seems the leader who made the decision still claims it was for humanitarian reasons. But I agree. It would not even have been brought up if Libya had not made threats.
I still do NOT agree that people put in positions of trust have the right to decide if they can release the information they have access to. Whether by consience or for money. It is not their choice.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6417
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 4:04 pm:   

My cynicism regarding politicians of both our countries is well known. They are little better than the Mafia. At least with the Mafia you know what to expect, but when we are lied to by people we trust with our votes, it is little wonder that we lump them all together as a bunch of self serving crooks. I believe that the Scottish "government" ha! was bullied into doing what they were told by a bunch of liars who will continue to protest their innocence despite the mass of evidence that is stacking up against them.
Just to prove that I am not totally against all of your US Senators and respect some of them, if you get the chance you should watch the excellent TV program by Senator Jim Webb called "Born Fighting". It was shown here this evening. Apparently the Scots were more responsible that anyone for your Declaration of Independence and most of what you hold dear.
http://entertainment.stv.tv/tv/225026-born-fightin g-senator-jim-webbs-life-in-conflict/
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2066
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 5:26 pm:   

We have the same basic distrust of the people holding office. I will have to look up all of the people of Scottish decent who took part in the making of the USA. I heard a name the other day that I had not associated with Scotland being part of the birth of the US. But with my current lapses of memory I don't remember exactly which one.
We are hoping here that some of the old methods of politics are on their out. Although I still hear the same old "it's not our fault, it's theirs" crap. And "the right only cares about big business". And "the left just wants to make everyone the same economically".
Since Al Megrahi did not die. Can we claim him?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6422
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 5:37 pm:   

You are welcome to Megrahi Mike. Be warned that "thuggish" threats issued by Gaddafi are part and parcel of the deal. He must be soiling his undergarments just now with all the rioting in Egypt. Lets' hope all of it doesn't backfire on the West.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2069
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 11:40 am:   

Kadaffy (spelling intended) should be worried. Of course he has smaller country. And is already a Muslim government. So he doesn't have to be shaking in his burka. But who knows. The people may want more say in what they do. You convinced me. We can't take Megrahi. It would cost a fortune to keep him with all the lawyers waiting in the wings to defend him.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration