Goodsol Forum » General Discussion » Quiz Question « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

paul slade (Slade)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Slade

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 3:28 am:   

"Removing queens will attract lobsters, although dealing in fans will remove the King. Prince Andrew favours rows of seven, and there's a Bonanza for your computer. Why would Bunthorne have fancied this?"

The above question is taken from a BBC Radio 4 programme called Round Britain Quiz. Bunthorne appeared in the Gilbert & Sullivan operetta "Patience", which is also the British name for solitaire.

I am convinced the remaining four elements of the question each represent a variety of solitaire/patience, but have not been able to identify the particular games involved. Can anyone help?

Many thanks.
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 162
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 11:11 am:   

Cool!

I am not any good at this type of riddle, but that will not stop me from guessing. :-)

>Removing queens will attract lobsters

This one has me stumped. At first I thought that it may be a reference to Raw Prawn, but that game is unique to Pretty Good Solitaire, I believe. What attracts lobsters?

>dealing in fans will remove the King

This could be any fan game, as they all play on foundations from Ace to King. I suspect that the game would be La Belle Lucie (a reference to Dicken's A Tale of Two Cities, I imagine).

>Prince Andrew favours rows of seven

There are lots of games with a royal theme, but I cannot figure out exactly which one is referenced here. By name, Duchess or Royal Marriage would be good candidates, but neither has rows of seven. King Albert has a row of seven cards, but that is a pretty weak connection.

>there's a Bonanza for your computer

I think that this is simply Klondike, which is the "Solitaire" that ships with Windows.

I doubt that helps much, but please let us all know when you have the (real) solution.
paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Pondpaul

Post Number: 231
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 12:14 pm:   

Hi
no luck with me
but this link will take you to the bbc site and you can listen to the programme again and get the answer next week
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/comedy/rbq.shtml
Paul
Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 2:11 pm:   

Hi Paul--OK, I give up--can you send me the moves for "Reserves?" I have tried and tried to win it with Ken's winning number and it's just no go at all--

Thanks--e-mail is brucam@citlink.net.

Maria
paul slade (Slade)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Slade

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 8:29 am:   

Thanks very much to Gregg Seelhoff for trying to help with the RBQ puzzle above. I thought he (and others) might like to know the solution.

They were all varieties of solitaire:

Queens/Lobsters referred to Quadrille, as in Alice In Wonderland's Lobster Quadrille.

Fans/Kings led to Cromwell (who removed a king, of course)

Price Andrew/Rows of Seven was supposed to make us think of Golf. Prince Andrew, it seems, is patron of St Andrews Golf Club - a rather tenuous link if you ask me.

Bonanza/Computer was Klondike and its omnipresence on Windows.

Thanks again for your help. Aren't these questions infuriating?

Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 166
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 3:56 pm:   

Thanks for posting the solution!

As far as the Golf clue is concerned, it was especially tenuous for me, as (being in the US) I hardly even know who Prince Andrew is, much less the clubs to which he happens to belong. :-)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration