General question about winnable games... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » General Discussion » General question about winnable games/stats « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

zelda beth o. (Zeldabee)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Zeldabee

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 1:50 pm:   

Maybe this belongs in Is It Winnable, but it's a general question. It seems to me that some of the stats I'm seeing are unlikely--certain games like Australian Patience that don't seem to me to be 100% winnable, and yet there are 2 people reporting that they've won 100%. One is playing an older version of PGS, and I know you used to be able to back up games to the beginning, and not count losses. But the other isn't...And Yukon, lots of people are at 100% with thousands of games, and that doesn't seem like it's 100% winnable (my stats are in the low 90s for Yukon).

Now, I'm not a master solitaire player, and I know that I've occasionally given up on a game when I thought it might be winnable just because I was sick of playing it...but I have a hard time believing that Yukon is 100% winnable.

What am I missing? Am I being dense? Is there a cheat that I don't know about, or are they all winnable? Mind you, I don't want to cheat, I don't see the point. I just want to know if they're all winnable.

One other thing about stats...I wish I could go back into my stats, replay a game I'd lost, and not have the loss count if I then won it.
Kjell Petterson (Kjell)
Intermediate Solitaire Player
Username: Kjell

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 4:20 pm:   

Zelda,

I think the online statistics is a great feature, but unfortunately there are people who are so much into 'winning' that they will do anything to show good statistics. The stupid Lombardi 'winning is everything' syndrom takes away from the pleasure of enjoying the process - the game itself.

One of the games I play a lot, Cleopatra, is usually relatively easy to win, but sometimes it can be very tough. I challenge myself to have an almost clean record of the last 100 games, but there are situations which are just too tough. Sometimes. due to my experience with the game, I can find a way to win some of those 'impossible' situations.

When I look at the stats for that game, I find that there are people who have not submitted scores since last year. I bet you some of those people have come across some very tough games and found their percentages sinking - I am sure it happens with all the games. What do they do? They don't submit their recent scores but look good on the general scoreboard.

I have suggested this before, but Thomas doesn't seem to listen: Remove statistics that are, say more than six months old from the scoreboard. It will force people to show how they are doing NOW!
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)
Username: Annika

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 10:36 pm:   

Cheating to post a high score is pointless, but I understand some people may find a way, and choose to do so.

I hold a high score, not 100%, on one game, and have 100% posted for another. I earned them, by working on the game. I also have a top score for an Action Sol game, and had another, till someone outscored me.

The point being that with all the games available, I enjoy competing on a new game, and will not try for a top on one I already hold, unless someone beats me out.

Why should anyone submit lower scores? And why should anyone be deprived of a hard-earned record just because it was a year or so ago?

I had never played your Cleopatra, so I just tried it, and now I have 100%! I liked it, so I will play it some more, and see how I do.

Have you tried Maze? It is a lot of fun, and I have not found one I cannot win. Finally, I accumulated 50 games, and submitted

Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 890
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 3:42 pm:   

Unfortunately, there are a very few people who will cheat and go to great lengths to cheat no matter how difficult you make it, but the overwhelming majority of the scores (even the ones that look suspicious) are legitimate.

Removing old scores isn't really worthwhile, since they can be easily replaced by another submission. Also, the lists were just redone from scratch only a year ago.
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Advanced Solitaire Player
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 10:22 am:   

I imagine that some of the scores that look ridiculously high (100 percent for several hundred Criss-Cross, for instance) are accomplishing by finding a winner and then playing the same game # over and over. I think Thomas had once said that the online database isn't set up to weed out that kind of pattern.
Kjell Petterson (Kjell)

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 1:01 pm:   

The people who create false scores by playing the same game # over and over can probably get away with it, even if it is a stupid exercise.

My point was that I suspect that people luck out and get very high scores the first 50 (if that is the minimum to get on the board) games and then stop recording scores, even if they continue playing the game. It is almost inevitable that the average will be dropping, because once in a while they will find games that are just too tough. If they don't report those declining scores, the scoreboard doesn't reflect the true situation. On the other hand, if they stop playing the game after reaching top scores, and there is an 'expiration date' they can always resubmit the good scores reached at that initial lucky strike.

To me, the scoreboard is a fun feature, not to be taken too seriously; it is fascinating to see names of participants from all over the world. What is more fun, though, is to actually play the games of your choice!

Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 2:24 pm:   

Kjell, have you tried Action Sol? The scoreboard is quite different, since it is played in timed rounds, and one cannot start over as in PGS. The time alloted for each round is shorter than the previous one, and eventually is too short for one to reach the goal score. Players post their highest cumulative score, with the total score and number of rounds given on the chart. It is a lot of fun.
Kjell Petterson (Kjell)

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 11:18 am:   

Annika, I have played some Action Solitaire, but regular PGS suits my temperament (and speed of brain cells??) better.

I have about 10 games which I have played over 1000 times, the top ones 4000 - 6000 and there are probably another 10 which have been played over 100 times! Now and then a new favorite makes 'the hit parade' and that is plenty for an old guy!
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Username: Blackie9

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 11:23 am:   

Hey kjell,

Cleopatra is great per you suggestion. Try #1642373888 I thought it was unwinnable but finally got it. It is a fun one.

jax ken
Kjell Petterson (Kjell)

Post Number: 42
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 11:38 am:   

Ken,
Since you told me about that winnable number, I have been struggling - unsuccessfully so far - with it.
I have played about 4200 Cleopatras and won some 3700. In the beginning I didn't try so hard, but now I am reluctant to give up on any game. Here are two numbers which I recently had to put down as losses:
811003009 and 1050595521.
They will give you a challenge if you are looking for one!
Kjell Petterson (Kjell)

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 11:40 am:   

Ken,
Since you told me about that winnable number, I have been struggling - unsuccessfully so far - with it.
I have played about 4200 Cleopatras and won some 3700. In the beginning I didn't try so hard, but now I am reluctant to give up on any game. Here are two numbers which I recently had to put down as losses:
811003009 and 1050595521.
They will give you a challenge if you are looking for one!
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 7:45 pm:   

Kjell,

I will try them both, thanks. I havent lost yet but I can see this game can easily offer unwinnable positions. Keep trying that one its fun when you finally get it.

Jax Ken
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 9:02 am:   

Kjell and Ken, I am working on Cleopatra, and have accumulated 37 consecutive wins. Now I am stuck on
1351135360. Please give this one a try, and let me know whether you can figure out a way. If so, I don't want to know your strategy, but I think it is unwinnable. Cleopatra is a fun game, and sometimes a real test of one's ingenuity.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 9:50 am:   

Kjell,

#811003009 is winnable still trying the others and Annika's.

Ken
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 7:26 pm:   

I won 811003009, but not the others. Still working on them.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 9:53 pm:   

Annika,

Very tough but winnable #1351135360. I saved it if you want. Did you try the one I sugested for Kjell?

Ken
application/octet-stream
Cleopatra_1351135360.pgs (4.8 k)
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 8:21 am:   

I have gotten 1o5o5 down to 18, and am still working on it, 16423 and 13511. It is really hard to figure a way to get spaces when such a large number of stock cards have to be turned before a move is possible.
But that is the fun of the game.

By the way, Ken, are you a duplicate bridge player? It's my favorite mind sport.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 6:24 pm:   

Annika,

Not familiar with it, so no. What is it.

Ken
Kjell
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 66.56.197.78
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 2:03 pm:   

Ken,

I am ready to give up on 1642373888. I have tried it several times without success. Is it really winnable? It takes about 20 cards to get the first 'break' and by that time a lot of the lower cards, including both 4 hearts are buried.

When it opens up towards the end, I haven't found enough space to backpaddle to the critical cards..

(Message approved by admin)
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 7:12 pm:   

I am out of town, and do not have access to my pgs, for this week. I'll start in on the Cleos again when I return home.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)

Post Number: 64
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 12:03 am:   

Kjell,

It is, I too almost gave up. that is why is was so much fun to win. I was at 56 in a row trying to
get 100 like you mentioned. Ive made it. your and Annikas games almost did me in. Thanks for the challange! Im sorry I didnt save it but it is winnable I promise. Anyone else beat it?

Ken
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)

Post Number: 65
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 12:16 am:   

Kjell and Annika,

What are your other favorite games. Point Sable is one of mine.

Ken
Kjell Petterson (Kjell)

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 4:23 am:   

Ken and Annika,

Here are the games I have played more than 1500 times:
Number one (about 6500 times) is Penguin, followed by Cleopatra, Repair, Antares, Penta, Free Cell, and Virginia Reel.

I have never tried Point Sable, but I'll check it out!

Kjell
paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Pondpaul

Post Number: 252
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 5:17 am:   

hello all

i find these are my highest played games
lady of the Manor,Diffusion, the wish , carpet , twenty, salic law, American toad ,wood ,Algerian patience , hidden treasures. forty thieves and Russian solitaire

Paul
Kjell Petterson (Kjell)

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 8:27 am:   

This is interesting; I haven't played any of the games that Paul mentions. I think it is a great tribute to Thomas and his creation, PGS; several active players find different favorite games. There is something for everyone. I think the name PGS should be changed to DGS: DARN GOOD SOLITAIRES!
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 6:34 pm:   

My favorites are Gaps and Spider Web (on Action Sol, with the time factor); Maze, Fifteen Puzzle, Three Shuffles and a Draw,and Penguin for trying to win every time; Parallels and Cruel for just a quick game that is not likely to be won, and Cleopatra, of course! I like the really different games, and NEVER play freecell,
since I used to play it with real cards. I am NOT giving upon those Cleos!
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 2:25 pm:   

Hey all,

Just played a Cleo that was fun #530408801.
Not nearly as hard as the one I posted earlier but almost did me in. Ive been playing Pauls first favorite Manor, very interesting. Not sure I can beat Pauls %. Im working my way down.

Thanks

ken
Ella Prest (Daizy)
Solitaire Player
Username: Daizy

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 11:27 pm:   

Thanks for alerting me to Lady of the Manor, very interesting game, I got back in my old rut after losing my husband of 31 years to Cancer in march. I like Cleo too, but I have a hate/love reletionship with Royal Parade fun but frustrating, have to improve my short-term memory.

Daizy
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 7:54 am:   

I just won 530408801. No success yet with other 2, but not giving up.

Duplicate Bridge is the card game Bridge played as a timed event, with everyone is the game playing the same hands, passing them around the room. The object is to get higher scores than all other pairs. Bridge is a partnership game with lots of strategy, and is the best game in the world (not counting solitaire, of course. If you want to learn more, check out www.acbl.org. It is played a lot on line, too.

Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 5:15 pm:   

Ken, I finally gave up, and downloaded your link to
1351135360, but I do not know what to do with all those numbers. Is there a conversion factor? I am using Windows XP professional.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 1:49 pm:   

Anniks,

It is the game saved to be opened by goodsol. Save it and open it from within Cleo, saved game.
Check out Pauls last post in Is it winnable.

Ken
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 7:09 am:   

I checked that out, and that doesn't look like what I downloaded. That's why I asked about a conversion factor. It starts out:
463, 1351135360
0,17,12,13,0,-1
2,92,12,12,-1,0 etc. ???
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 8:20 am:   

Annika,

That is what they look like if you open them with notepad or such. When you click on it save it dont open it.Then go into Godsol, open a game of Cleo then hit f5. It should go to the Goodsol folder looking for saved games. You can search for the one you saved or save it there to start with. Im not on xp on this computer so Im not sure if anything works differently. Paul?

Ken

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration