Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » General Discussion » Non-Uniform Presentation « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Danny A. Jones
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 209.142.12.122
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   

When I access the Forum Topics page, it (supposedly) shows the time and person for the last post to each forum group.

However, when I go to a forum group, there isn't any message listed at that time by that person.

Furthermore, the time and dates listed are not always in descending order.

This doesn't seem right!

(Message approved by admin)
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 994
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   

This is happening because of the large number of spam postings. We have moderation turned on in this forum because there are more attempted spam postings than real postings. Many posts are delayed so we can look at them before they are approved.

The last post area includes posts that aren't approved because they are spam. These never get posted. The times and dates may not be in order because many posts are not approved and don't appear, plus the time given is the time the post is submitted by there is a delay for posts to be approved.

At one time recently, this forum was getting dozens of spam attempts every day, mostly spam posts trying to sell various prescription drugs. Since I'm implemented various means to fight spam, the number of spam posting attempts has decreased.

Since I've started these anti-spam measures, not a single spam posting has actually been posted to the forum, but that doesn't seem to stop the spammers from trying.
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Advanced Solitaire Player
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 11:49 am:   

Thanks, Thomas - I'd wondered about that myself. And apparently even if you hold back or don't permit a posting, sometimes that "NEW" flag still goes up for it. Guess it's triggered by the original attempt to post.

On a related note, I'd asked this ages ago but don't think I ever saw a reply. Is there any way to add a "Mark as read" button for us? Those "NEW" flags are still there on return visits until (I'd guess) the next day, even though I clear my cache frequently.
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Advanced Solitaire Player
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 11:54 am:   

Further to my last one, one other possibility for not seeing a supposedly new posting just occurred to me.

I keep forgetting, and maybe others do too, that sometimes there's one or more sub-forums within a forum. And I probably didn't think to look there.
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 220
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 4:14 pm:   

>I keep forgetting, and maybe others do too, that sometimes there's one or more sub-forums within a forum.

That is correct. When somebody posts to a subthread, the date for the main thread is updated, but the sort order in the thread list is not changed, which also accounts for some topics appearing to be out of date order.
Rachel Cohen (Rachel)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Rachel

Post Number: 439
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 2:19 am:   

I find that the "New" flags disappear after one viewing, so when I leave the website and return quite soon, the "New" is already gone, and I look at the dates to see if I missed anything.

As for the posting in a subthread, these messages often get lost because I don't find their "New" flag, especially if it's an answer to an old message. But I suppose most of these posting are sent to the subthread by mistake, so it can't be avoided in advance.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration