Goodsol Forum » General Discussion » How to Choose a Game « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Patrick Carroll (Patrick)
Solitaire Player
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 1:44 pm:   

What's your best clue as to whether or not you'll like a game you're unfamiliar with?

Does difficulty level matter most to you? Or luck/skill ratio? Or maybe size of layout? Or do you stick to games (or avoid games) of a certain type?

I'm interested in hearing which criteria other people zero in on when looking for a good new game.

What I like to *avoid* are (1) games that are all, or mostly, luck, and (2) games where I fairly often get stuck after just a few moves. I can't get any mental exercise out of either of those kinds of game.
paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Pondpaul

Post Number: 329
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   

Hi Patrick
I normally just pick a random game and play it
I do not like spider games much and have struggled with a lot of hard games which i enjoy as I have won 633 of the 640 my favorite are the Klondike and the terrace games.
I do not like luck games as much as difficult games and it is a lot of pleasure winning a very hard game one of which took 6 months
I know though if Mrs Mopp turns up I give up before I start.
Paul
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 234
Posted on Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 3:12 pm:   

>What's your best clue as to whether or not you'll like a game you're unfamiliar with?

Permutations. If a game allows lots of choice among different (simple) moves, it provides a better mental challenge, and there tends to be a larger gap between thoughtful and mindless play. In other words, one can win much more often by thinking before doing.

The most common trait among solitaire games that provides this is the ability to move any card into an empty tableau space. This is why I tend to like games such as FreeCell, Spider, and Forty Thieves. I find simlar games which only allow, say, a King in an empty space (or worse, do not allow anything there) less appealing.

The one game that seemingly bucks this trend is Three Shuffles and a Draw (which I learned as La Belle Lucie), where empty spaces remain empty. However, there are obvious "safe" moves, and there are often decisions to be made. The ability to legally "cheat" just once also gives lots of choices as to when and where to use it.

>I'm interested in hearing which criteria other people zero in on when looking for a good new game.

The method I use, honestly, is to try everything at least once. In Pretty Good Solitaire, I started by adding every game to 'Favorites'. I then randomly selected one of the 'Not Played' and tried it until I won or got bored/frustrated. If I disliked the game, I removed it from 'Favorites'.

Now that I have played every one of the 640 solitaire games in PGS, I either select one from 'Favorites' or randomly from the 'Not Won' games, depending on my mood. Like others, I hope to win every one of these games at least once. I have a way to go to reach that goal. :-)

>What I like to *avoid* are (1) games that are all, or mostly, luck, and (2) games where I fairly often get stuck after just a few moves.

I am pretty much the same. Self-working games (i.e., those with no meaningful choices) are not particularly fun, nor are those which are too difficult. Those that have both characteristics are the worst.

Beside that, I dislike games like Calculation, where foundations are not consistent. Also, there are a few games that I have never figured out, such as Accordian and Frog, which I only play(ed) to be able to get them out of the 'Not Won' category. (Frog still resides there. :-()
Patrick Carroll (Patrick)
Solitaire Player
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 10:46 am:   

One other thing I tend to dislike is cards being dealt to the tableau instead of wastepile(s). That's what spoils the otherwise superb game of Spider for me. Just when I've managed to get a few things in order, another row of mixed-up cards corrupts the layout. Aaargh!

On the flip side, I find I especially like games where builds are in suit & sequence, or where only such builds can be moved en bloc. That makes the Forty Thieves category of games appealing to me, and it'd make Spider appealing too if it weren't for the problem mentioned above.
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)
Advanced Solitaire Player
Username: Annika

Post Number: 83
Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 9:19 am:   

I like games that are different from the traditional "favorites", that I learned to play years ago with real cards. So no freecell (boring), spider, klondike, or forty thieves, except those with a good variation, such as Three Shuffles and a Deal, Spider Web, and Thieves of Egypt. I like Maze, Gaps, Cruel, Zeus, Fair Lucie, Penguin, Get Eleven, Putt-Putt, fIfteen Puzzle, Sixteen Puzzle and Crazy Quil very much, and play them a lot.
andy (Pat_yen_se)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Pat_yen_se

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 10:19 am:   

I definitely prefer all the Eliminators, but frankly, Black Hole makes mi nervous ...
Cheops is my favorite and still working on a good strategy to win this game ... of course, immortal Golf and Pyramide ...
Regards.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration