Where statistics are saved Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » General Discussion » Where statistics are saved « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Where are my stats on my machineLori 3-15-09  5:05 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

J Brian McKillop (Tuxini)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Tuxini

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 6:32 am:   

I am using PGS 7.0.1 from 2001 on a W98SE machine. Statistics in this version are saved under Program Files and occasionally when I have to re-image the machine I forget to archive the Games folder. I am up to 1000 games on 6 of the 8 games I regularly play.

In the current version is there an option to change the location where the statistics are stored, so that they can be stored in a subfolder under My Documents?

I am contemplating upgrading and this capability would be a significant determiner in whether I upgrade or keep using the old version.
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 285
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 6:41 am:   

Hi Brian,
Why not just create a new folder in My Docs and copy the files to there?
Richard.
J Brian McKillop (Tuxini)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 9:08 am:   

Then I have to remember to copy the files from "C:\Program Files\Games\PGSol\Games" before I re-image.

If in PGSol I can choose a different folder to save the games, and then create a new folder in My Docs, then I only have to remember to backup my "MyDocs" folder (which I do anyway) before the re-image.

I'm basically lazy :-)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 287
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 11:07 am:   

Hi Brian,
Your honesty is admirable.
Richard.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 359
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   

Richard, Since you are my idol and mentor, I have to do everything you do, so I bought a new computer (after 8 years!) I am so un-computer savvy I really didn't need one until now since all I do is play PGS and send e-mail. Well, stupid me I thought that if I had the same e-mail address and downloaded PGS and put my registration code that it would remember my stats, but obviously not since I'm on a new computer. Is there an easy way to import my stats from my old machine? (Don't forget I said EASY!) I'm like Brian...lazy. So if it's not easy, what the heck, I'll just play the 15000 games over again! K2
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 3:43 am:   

First off I have to correct the glaring spelling mistakes.Clearly you meant to say "idle and mental".
I'm not particularly computer savvy either,so I hope that someone else will at least verify that this is going to work. This is what I'd try if I were you.
Firstly locate PGS in your old wood-burning PC. In mine the route is C/Windows/Application data/Goodsol/Pretty Good Solitaire.
Once I got in there I would copy the first few files onto a disc. I would then locate PGS in the new PC and copy those files into the same directory. Then I'd restart my new PC and open PGS as normal and see if the data has been revised. If it's a success I'd go back and copy the rest of them.
That's what I'd do if I was you. If I was me, I'd simply not bother in the first place. I refer you to the first spelling mistake.
Seriously, I can see no reason why this shouldn't work. Good luck Ken.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 360
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 8:47 am:   

Richard, Thanks for the advice, but I don't even know how to copy onto a disc! How did you import your stats to your new computer?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 9:32 am:   

Hi Ken, My new computer is still sitting in the box awaiting the big decision to get it up and running.
If you have still got email functioning in both PC's you could transfer a few files at a time that way,(as attachments). Failing that, you could email them to me and then I'll email them back to you when you want them.
Thomas may be able to provide you with revised files if you gave him the info. Just a thought.
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 126
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   

It's probably a good idea to create a temporary home on the new computer for the files till you've got them all transferred. There are two files (more if you have more than one player) which update each time you exit PGS even if you haven't played any games, global.ini and [player].dat.

I've always assumed that those two, particularly the latter, need to remain "synched" with the individual .log files, and I'm not sure what happens if you're making the transfer piecemeal while continuing to play games on either computer. I'm sure Thomas can advise on any potential problems in that respect.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Blackie9

Post Number: 257
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   

I have transfered my complete games to cd and on to a new computer many times. That is the reason I show up on two lines in mny games records. You just copy all the game files to cd and over write the file on the new computer.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 361
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   

Ken (or Thomas), how do you do that? Ken
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1209
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 3:53 am:   

Ken, You need to have a CD burner in your old machine.If you have one it's just a case of locating the files and copying them onto a blank CD. Another alternative would be a memory stick,but I doubt if you would have one of those.
Why don't you see if one of your workmates can help you?
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 363
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 6:02 am:   

Richard, Why is your new computer still in the box? If I can set up my computer, surely you can too!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 8:17 am:   

I can't get the box open.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 365
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 10:32 am:   

Liz: "Thank God for small favors!"
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 258
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   

Interesting but strange....I seem to live in Victoria, BC Canada. All the double scores from my games posted before i move to a new computer now show Canada.

....wonder if its nice there, bit colder than Fla
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 259
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   

Better watch out Scotland may be next.....
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   

Perhaps you got deported Ken. Sentence passed in absentium obviously. Helluva distance to commute to work though.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 260
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   

Oh Im always here....or off on holiday in Canada. I may now not always have an opine (like some) but I am somewhat ubiquitous. Moby Dick has nothing on me.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 368
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   

I'm sorry, Richard, but "Call me Mechen" doesn't have the same ring!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   

I would be very happy to get deported to Canada. Somewhere in the north. In fact my brother-in-law emigrated there a few months ago.Guess he couldn't handle the constant leg pulling. As Liz and I are going away for a week at the end of this month, Mobile Dick would be quite appropriate for me.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 8:39 am:   

To K2, I'm now in the same dilemma as you regarding updating my stats onto my new PC. Trouble is that the info appears to be in a totally different place in both PC's, and I can't even locate similar files on my laptop despite the fact that I have saved games etc there too. Everything looks different. How are you getting on Ken?

I think we need to enlist the aid of Thomas & Co.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 261
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 9:44 am:   

All my new stats seem fine. The old ones just have me in Canada so not really worrysome just funny.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 10:17 am:   

Microsoft keeps moving the Application Data folder around with each version of Windows.

The quick way to find out where PGS stores its data on your machine is to click on the start button, select "Run...", and type "%appdata%" (without the quotes) and click on OK. Windows will take you directly to the Application Data area. Then just select the Goodsol folder, then the Pretty Good Solitaire folder and you are there.

The Great Tuxini (Tuxini)
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 10:44 am:   

Tom,

Are you considering adding an option in a future release that will allow the user to choose the folder where the data is stored?

I am using version 7 and that option might induce me to upgrade. This version saves the data under C:\Program Files...\Games.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   

Thanks Thomas, I've finally managed to find the applications data folder. Of all the systems I've run over the years, I would vote Vista as the most infuriating.

Ken, I don't know what you're running but in case it's Vista, this is what I had to do.
First click on "start" and then scroll down the programs and locate "accessories". You'll find "run" in there and that's where you type in %appdata% . It will then show you where the microsoft guys have put it this time. NOW before you do another thing, right click on it and select "properties". You will then find out that the MS bright sparks have it as a hidden folder. Uncheck that and you'll be able to find it again.
I haven't done anything about transferring files yet, but I've been up for 20 hours now and I need a break.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 369
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   

Richard, unlike the Mechen Mansion, I live in a small condo. So in order to set up the new computer, I had to break down the old one. I don't believe that my old computer had CD-burning capability, so setting my computer back up, trying to figure out how to import my stats, is just not worth it to me. Anyway, Mr Miyagi, you have taught me well. Besides wax on, wax off, you have enlightened me that stats are not important, it's the thrill of the hunt! The "Ken Millar" dynasty is dead. Long live the "K2" dynasty! Stay tuned for further developments.
paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Pondpaul

Post Number: 396
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   

Hello

I have never had trouble tranferring the stats to a new computer as I have had PGS since 2000 and on 3 different computers and still have a record of games played since 2000
I just copied the goodsol folder in the application folder to a disk or pen drive on the
old machine and copied it to the same place on
the new machine and they are all there

I have got a disk on my table for upgrading to vista but I am not going to change until all my software can run on it and this could be never

pondpaul
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   

Hi Ken, Yes I'm still up! Watching a good film about the Cuban Missile Crisis when we were all holding our breaths.
Re the stats, I couldn't really care less about my own, but Liz has been working hard at some of hers and doesn't want to start from scratch. Like you I think it's more bother than it's worth, but it was interesting finding where the files had been secreted. What possible reason could the Microsoft mob have for choosing to hide them? They treat us like dumb kids.

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   

Tuxini,

It's possible there will be such an option in the future, however, there are problems with allowing users to put the data folder anywhere, especially in Vista where Microsoft has started restricting applications from writing to various folders (such as the Programs Files folder).

Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 370
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 4:57 am:   

Richard, How goes the battle? Do you like your new computer? K2
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1227
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 5:34 am:   

Hi Ken, I'm getting used to it. Some things I like, but some I don't. At times it is utterly infuriating. I started to copy photos into it from my old PC. These were photos I'd taken myself. It brassed me off completely by making me select each photo individually, and not having the "select all" option of the old one.
Next it would only let me copy them to "documents" and not to the "pictures" folder.I had to do this myself after I'd copied them to docs.
I started to edit and sort them, and then it started with its nonsense. I reached some that it wouldn't let me edit. It told me there was a problem. It didn't tell me what kind of a problem. I got the same "banned word" when I attempted to rename it. Finally it told me that the file was open in another application, which it wasn't. But Vista knows best. I restarted the PC and tried again. Same "banned word". I then decided to delete it as I was exhausting my vocabulary of banned words. No joy there either. Vista knows best. The photos were not "read only" or anything like that.
I encountered other similar problems with folders that I'd created for temporary use. When I'd sortd the contents out and moved them back to where I wanted them, it wouldn't let me delete the empty folders. They were open in another application according to Vista, although this was definitely not the case. I find that I've got to constantly restart it to get it to complete simple tasks. George Orwell got it right in "1984" although he was a bit out with the date.. Big Brother is watching us. BI(ll) G(ates) and the Microsoft mob are trying to run our lives. This programme in my opinion is a complete vista time when compared against some more dated systems..
How are you getting on?
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 371
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 10:16 am:   

Richard, Have you had the wonderful experience of the popup saying, "Internet Explorer has stopped working"? It happens to me at least 5 times a session. I checked online and many people have this same problem even with NEW computers. I've heard that a lot of people are downgrading back to XP because they can't take it. I don't use my computer for much more than PGS and e-mail, so it doesn't bother me too much. (I did learn how to burn a music CD, so that was kinda cool!)
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 10:22 am:   

Your experiences with Vista are unfortunately all too common - probably the main reason one heck of a lot of us are avoiding it. Even dealers are now being forced to back up a step and re-offer XP as the primary system in new computers.

Probably the worst operating system MS has come up with since DOS 4. MS has already announced they're vastly lengthening their support period for XP, plus the Vista successor is supposedly very near. So I think for knowledgeable users, Vista is a dead duck.

I personally think 98SE was the best Win ever, but then what the heck do I know? I did love that it still had most of DOS functional.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   

Hi Ken, I was having some Explorer problems before I got the new PC and I resolved it completely by installing updates from the Microsoft site. Also make sure you have good anti virus protection and that it is kept up to date. You can get a free online scan from many providers. Just google free scan. Glad you've burned a music CD, but remember you can also back up your files etc onto discs.
I didn't know that Vista was problematic when I boughtit. In fact PC World recommended the PC I bought!!
I'm with you Mike re Windows 98. I liked it. I also found WinME fairly reliable. Another thing that has got up my kilt is the new Excel. There are hundreds of items on the toolbar, 99% of which are of no use to me whatsoever. I'd like to be able to customise the toolbar as I previously could, but the Microsoft mafia (as someone called them recently), have not allowed me that choice. They want to remember that the tail does not wag the dog, and that it's our hard earned cash that's made them stinking rich. "He who pays the piper, calls the tune", is an appropriate Scottish proverb.
I've just spotted a typo in this tirade, but I'll leave it in as it's quite apt.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 315
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   

I haven't gone to Vista and probably won't unless they do something stupid at my wifes work and change there. I have had trouble getting photos from people with Vista. They downloaded them onto their Vista computers and I can't see them. I would think Richard uses a lot of banned words. I know I do when trying to solve computer problems. Don't think KenM does though.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   

Yes Mike, I'm into Big BANNED. That would be quite apt for Mr.Millar too.
Give Vista a bodyswerve. It's not as good as XP and that's not much of a compliment.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 372
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 12:27 am:   

Richard, Did you ever get Liz's (and, of course, yours) stats imported to your new computer? And, BTW, what are Liz's favorite games and the ones she has the most wins with? (Not necessarily the same!)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 3:27 am:   

Hi Ken, I didn't persevere with the stats. They're of no importance to me as I no longer submit any. They are meaningless anyway as a lot of them are fake. What are some players trying to say? I'm a bigger liar than you? I could have kept my winning Bucket numbers secret but I've no doubt someone would have leapfrogged my stats by some devious route. I know I'm a decent player and that's all that matters.
Liz doesn't seem to have any firm favourites in PGS, perhaps Accordian, but in PGM she plays Loose Klondike and the Great Wall rather frequently.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 263
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 9:33 am:   

I like to post my scores for fun...but its against myself anyways so the other post dont really matter.
I can tell whats probably real. I do have a learning alt for trying new games and crazy ones like bc so I have a 93% or so winning out of 10,000+ games on my main...so what but its still fun.
paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Pondpaul

Post Number: 398
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   

Hi
I have reached a little Milestone on my scores as per the attached screenprint
Most of you are probably much higher than this but I was pleased and you can see the games I have played most often.
pondpaul
application/msword
Doc2.doc (111.6 k)
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 265
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   

Nice Paul...no not close to you. Might be a few years to hit 30,000 games played. I sometimes spend a week on one game so I play kinda slow.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 374
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 2:12 am:   

Thomas, I'm definitely not complaining, but I'm really curious about something. If you've been reading this thread, you'll see that I bought a new computer. I couldn't figure out how to import my stats from my old computer, so I said the hell with it and just started over. I got to 50 wins on Quad Interchange, and submitted it (and that is the only game that I have 50 wins with my new computer) under my new screen name of K2 (to differentiate from old scores under Ken Millar). I was looking at some other scores online and now ALL my old scores are in there under K2, but none of these scores show up in my personal stats. Why is that?
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 376
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 2:29 am:   

Thomas, the plot thickens! I went to submit all my stats (even though, like I said, I don't show any on my new computer) but changing my name from K2 back to Ken Millar to see if that would change it online, and it did. But the games that I have started to replay (but not reached 50 games yet), those stats were wiped out completely.

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 10:04 am:   

Ken,

Yes, if you change information such as name, address, etc. if the scores server can determine that you are the same person as a previous submission it will change those fields of information. Name and address are not used to identify you, that is done via your game player name and registration code.

What happens on the scores server will have no effect on the scores on your machine.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 379
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 10:35 am:   

Thomas, On a previous post somebody asked you why in the stats some people show up more than once in the same game statistics, and I thought you said it was because they enter their stats from a different computer. But as I just found out, if I enter new stats from my new computer, it wipes out my old stats even if I change my name. Is this a new feature with the latest version?

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:42 am:   

Ken,

There are a number of reasons a person might show up multiple times in the scores. The scores server uses registration name, registration code, and the player name within the game to determine if someone is the same person. If you use a different registration code (possible if you have an original code and an upgrade code), or use a different player name (very possible, just create a new player in the game), that can cause the server to create a different entry for you.

If the server detects same name/code and same player name, it will overwrite you previous submission with the new one.

With a new computer, it will overwrite if you use the same player name, otherwise not.
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Annika

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 10:49 am:   

I am listed twice for Penguin. I didn't realize it would do that, but it makes sense. If 2 people use the same computer, they would want to have their stats separate. I thought it would catch that it was under the same name, though one score is submitted under Jerri, and the other as Clare. I submitted both as Jerri.

As Jerri,I had submitted 92 wins for Penguin, going for 100, and had reached a probably unwinnable game, when the new beta came out, and I had a Penguin glitch, that would not let me play it under any name. When that cleared up mysteriusly, I couldn't win it, but started a new series as Clare, since I didn't want to clear the stats for Jerri. Clare now has 217 wins, and I am having a hard time with the current game. If you would like to delete the 92 wins as Jerri Taylor, that's fine with me.

Maybe the glitch, which has happened twice, and cleared itself up twice, is the cause of my 2 scores on the list.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration