Goodsol Forum » General Discussion » Blocked Words « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Mike Butler (Butler77)
Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 12:08 am:   

Thomas. I was writing a post and used a fairly common word in the text of the message. Just wondering how I would let you know what the word is? Not really sure why it would be blocked but you would know.
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 613
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 3:02 am:   

Hi Mike, The Word B-I-N-G-O is also blocked but you can see how I got round it. Alternatively you could simply sent an email.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 614
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 3:03 am:   

Hi Mike, The Word B-I-N-G-O is also blocked but you can see how I got round it. Alternatively you could simply send an email.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Solitaire Player

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   

Hi Richard. I thought I might be able to do it that way. But then I thought there might be a reason for the block and I don't want to offend anyone. H-O-L-D on is what I was trying to say. BTW isn't Scotsman a blocked word.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   

There are quite a few words that are blocked on the forum. The reason is that the forum was constantly bombarded with spam postings. It got to the point where it was getting hundreds of spam postings per day.

In order for me to get anything else done, I had to find a way to block them automatically rather than having to block each message manually. The word block list contains words that were commonly used by the spammers.

Fortunately, this and other methods that I'm been using have stopped the spam. It's been a long time since a spam message has gotten through and been posted.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Solitaire Player

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   

Thanks Thomas. I knew there had to be a good reason. Just curious.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 615
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   

Hi Mike,
The same H word caused me a little aggro several times, so now I just say "hang on" or "keep". And no mate, Scotsman is not a blocked word. It's a bloke word.
I'd never thought about the reasoning behind blocking certain words, but having had a major spam problem myself some time ago, I know just how desperate it can make you.
Trashed any PC's recently?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Solitaire Player

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   

I am trying not to break my back up computer when I go to prove once again a little knowledge about a subject is dangerous. Going to try and save some files from the hard disk I corrupted before I restore it to the factory settings. Someday I am going to get to St. Andrews. But I don't think you will see me in a Kilt.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 620
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   

Mike,unless you're a golf fanatic, I'd give St.Andrews a miss, although their botanical gardens and the Aquarium are pretty good. A good place to meet fellow Americans. They're the only ones wearing kilts. Ha!
It may be of little use now, but it's a good idea to create duplicate files in a different folder before you mess with things you're not 100% certain about. Also making notes makes reversal easier. A bitter lesson I learned myself.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Solitaire Player

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   

I play as much golf as I am allowed to play. So I guess I am a fanatic. You are right, the chances of doing much in St. Andrews is probably limited but it's something I've wanted to do. I will play someplace when I am over there. I am an idiot. I know you should back up your information. It just seemed like a simple task that turned into a nightmare.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 621
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   

OK, for a golfer it's the Holy Grail. Their museum of golf is a bit special. When we visited St.Andrews it wasn't that busy, but I don't know how easy it would be to book a round there. You'd certainly get some great photos. Let's not post anything else to this thread. It's hardly relevant now. See you in Elba.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration