Getting 256 color on my computer Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » General Discussion » Getting 256 color on my computer « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

sarah anne (Pinkeysas)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Pinkeysas

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:10 am:   

The only color options given to me in my control panel are 2 color or 16 color.

The pictures/graphics on my computer are horrible, i was hoping that switching to 256 color would correct that.

Is there a way for me to get 256 color even if it isn't listed in my control panel settings?

Thanks for anyones help/advice

Sarah-
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 10:04 am:   

Hi Sarah,

My first guess would be that you've got a rock-bottom, maybe even hopelessly antique, graphics controller (video card). If you right-click on the desktop and select Display Modes (might be a different wording, depending on your system), it should give you a choice of all video modes that your card can handle.

The onboard Intel chip that came with my system takes it one step further. It recognizes my monitor, and won't list modes that the chip can handle but the monitor can't.
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 10:42 am:   

Hi again,

An after-thought, now that I've slept on it. Have you had this limited choice all along, or is it relatively new? If the latter, quite possibly your video card has gone faulty. In any event, I still think it's the most likely culprit.
sarah anne (Pinkeysas)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 9:46 am:   

Mike-

Thanks for you help. I did right click on the desk top and there was no "display modes" option all i get is : Active Desktop, arrange icons, line up icons, refresh and properties. I have gone into active desktop and that is were it gives me the option to change the color, but the only options are 2 color and 16 color. I think i'm prolly just s.o.l. My last tower (i think thats what its called) gave up on me so i have a new one now and this new one is probably older cause its had this color issue since i hooked it up. If you have any other suggestions that would be great, if not thanks for trying to help. Also, i don't know what a video card is....Sorry i'm so green at this stuff.

Sarah-
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 117
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 10:20 am:   

If you don't have a "wiz" friend who can check it out for you, probably time to take it in to the shop for a professional check. And assuming the problem isn't a memory chip rather than your video, they'll probably recommend a new video card (or may, of course, find a problem that I didn't think of).

The shop I use is dandy and highly reliable. Not cheap ($75 an hour), but no minimum - if something takes them 10 minutes (after they finally get to it), they charge me for 1/6 hour.
sarah anne (Pinkeysas)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 10:35 am:   

Yeah, either that or it's just time to upgrade!! haha. Thanks for you help.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration