Goodsol Forum » General Discussion » PGS 101 suggestion « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 911
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 7:14 am:   

Gregg, love the new game! (I don't know what you and Thomas were smoking when you came up with some of those game sounds but it really must have been some good sh!t.) One suggestion: how about a pause feature for when Richard makes a cup of tea, or when I need to go to the bathroom, or when you're cheering another Spartans touchdown? I realize one could get an advantage by studying the tableau when paused so how about a feature that the screen blanks out when paused or better yet, a PGS 101 logo pops up obscuring the cards. Doable?
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 2436
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 8:57 am:   

Tea? Never heard of it!
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1237
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   

To pause, select Pause from the Action menu or just press the ESC key.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2437
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   

I just minused a game down to the tray and got this when I resumed. It sure stopped the clock. Certainly an improvement.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 912
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   

That's exactly what I wanted! Considering that it's what I would consider an important feature maybe it should be highlighted more in the info about the game.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2438
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   

During the Beta Test I did have a grumble about the clock continuing to run. Looks like the G man acted on it.
There's info on the game? We have to read it? Surely not.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 913
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   

Gregg, how about them Hawkeyes??!!!!!! Now you guys have a shot at the Big 10 title. (You're welcome!!)
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 914
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 6:15 am:   

Thomas and/or Gregg, I have another suggestion. The main purpose of any solitaire game is to win it, right? If Player A plays as quickly as possible and uses auto-play to move as many cards as possible onto the tableau before quickly moving onto the next game; he is going to be ahead on the stats board over the person who tries many different tacks and finally, successfully wins the game. How about a bonus for winning a game? Either adding say,50 points, or deducting say, 60 seconds from his time?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2441
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 7:57 am:   

I agree with your sentiments Ken and have expressed similar reservations about the scoring system, but let's face it, some people are going to find ways to massage their scores anyway. The simplest would be to play every game under your alter ego and then replay it in the real world.
At least this system will rid us of some of the total liars who repeatedly crop up in the original PGS stats. There doesn't appear to be any perfect solution, and what we've got is VERY acceptable I'm sure you'll agree.
Which game are you assaulting in 101? I think I may have a pretty shrewd idea.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 897
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   

Ken is going to play Interchange. He will find that winner we missed.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2443
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   

Yeah, and John McCain will be the next US President.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 898
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   

Wasn't he?
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 915
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   

Waitaminnit, Mike, what Klondike game did you win in the first 20 games that I missed??? I'll guess I'll just have to console myself with the fact that I won the first Double Pyramid and you didn't.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 899
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   

I won. #4 through #6. #8 through #13. And #15 through #20. Well done on the first Double Pyramid. I will have to look at it again. Canfield made me mad. I forgot to worry back on a couple of games I lost.
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 336
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 12:20 am:   

>Gregg, love the new game!

Excellent! :-)

>I don't know what you and Thomas were smoking when you came up with some of those game sounds...

The included sounds are my fault, and they are also the reason that we added the ability to change (or disable) sounds to the 'Options' dialog box (on the 'Audio' tab).

Seriously, though... You should let Thomas know what you think about the current sounds. Last I knew, he keeps his computer speakers turned off.

>One suggestion: how about a pause feature for when Richard makes a cup of tea, or when I need to go to the bathroom, or when you're cheering another Spartans touchdown? I realize one could get an advantage by studying the tableau when paused so how about a feature that the screen blanks out when paused or better yet, a PGS 101 logo pops up obscuring the cards. Doable?

As already mentioned... DONE.

>Gregg, how about them Hawkeyes??!!!!!! Now you guys have a shot at the Big 10 title. (You're welcome!!)

Thanks! I honestly took a break after the MSU win and only just found out about the Penn State loss. They really have trouble there in Iowa.

>The main purpose of any solitaire game is to win it, right?

Yes, and no. :-) Although one generally plays solitaire to win, some people play just like they would with a physical deck of cards, never (or rarely) using the undo feature and just playing through a deal once, while others (like me) like to earn the best possible scores for each deal and to maximize winning percentage.

Climb mode was designed not only to allow players to compete with the same deals and rules, but also to allow both types of players (and everyone in between) to enjoy the game without having to change their preferred method of play.

Ultimately, anyone can advance up the climb mode standings in a game by devoting more time to playing it in Goodsol Solitaire 101. :-)
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 916
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 6:18 am:   

Mike, I think it's fascinating to compare hands! I was looking for the Klondike hand I missed, but I actually missed two you got: #8 and #15, but I got one you didn't: #3.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 917
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 6:32 am:   

I got them! Speaking of kicking oneself....
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 918
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 6:34 am:   

Richard, Can you win #1, #2, #7, or #14?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2445
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 6:40 am:   

No Ken. Failed to win any of those.

Haaaaa,haaaa,haaa!
I think we should start a new thread.
Frances Cammisa (Yankeegal)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Yankeegal

Post Number: 244
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 10:54 am:   

Have there been new games added? I didn't receive any notice from TPTB at PGS---

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration