Goodsol Forum » General Discussion » Tableau move question « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Thomas DeMary (Tomd)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Tomd

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:09 pm:   

Hello, all. I am a new member. I have migrated to Pretty Good Solitaire from Solitaire's Journey for
Windows, an 1992 program from QQP. SJW's rules seem to deviate frequently from those of other versions of Solitaire games. The most noticeable is that their usual way to move cards between tableau columns in Klondike-type games does not allow moving only a part of an in-sequence group -- you can only move the top card or all in-sequence cards (Agnes Bernauer, Agnes Sorel). In Klondike itself, all the face-up cards move must as a unit -- you can't move just the top card, unless it is the only face-up card (this is rule in some books). This is guaranteed to lower your Klondike score.

A couple of other examples: in Agnes Bernauer, the reserve cards can't be moved from the reserve directly to a foundation -- they have to be moved to a suitable card on the tableau first. In Agnes Sorel, spaces can filled with a base card. There are many other differences.

I was wondering if there was any known reason for their rule changes, since there were so many. As far as I can tell, PGS's wizard does not even have an option that forces moving all cards as a unit -- it always allows the moving of a subgroup. I am not complaining since I don't like games that are too restrictive, but it might make a useful wizard option for toughening up an easy game.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration