Goodsol Forum » General Discussion » Spam from a competitor « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 491
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 4:38 pm:   

Hi everyone,

A person who participates on this forum received a spam email from a company that sells a competitive product to ours. This person did not sign up for that company's list and is wondering if it is possible that the company found his emails via this forum.

Did anyone else who has posted on this forum receive such an email? The message advertises a solitaire game and has the very sneaky disclaimer "You received this message because you are a registered user of solitaire card
games."

Obviously if they obtained the email addresses from this forum that is a very disturbing development. If true, that company has no ethics.

I have set the forum so it will no longer show mail addresses on new posts, but unfortunately I cannot find a way to remove them from old posts.
Jeff Kogler (Jeffk)
Junior Solitaire Player
Username: Jeffk

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 7:16 pm:   

Yes Thomas I received such an email. I thought it was from a "partner" of yourselves.

Regards,

Jeff Kogler
Linda Leck (Lindaleck)
Intermediate Solitaire Player
Username: Lindaleck

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 8:42 pm:   

I also received one. Not only did I delete the email(NOT interested in anything except PGS!) but I also blocked all messages from that sender.
Mary Tindle (Yoda)
Username: Yoda

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 11:32 pm:   

I received an email, if it is the same one, the product comes from France.
It does not specify which solitaire game they are referring to.
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 10:57 am:   

It's possible one was sent to me, but my ISP uses what seems to be an excellent advanced version of SpamGuard (and I didn't even know there were diff versions) which "quarantines" anything suspicious before it gets to me.

I'll usually check in there a couple of times a day to see if by chance it didn't recognize an individual or a group that I regularly deal with, so I can have it delivered normally, and just trash the rest without paying much attention to what it is.

I'll also watch for outright scams, like the Nigerian Letter and its cousins, and have those delivered too, so I can pass them along to the PhoneBusters (RCMP/OPP) unit which whom I keep in regular touch.
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 1:32 pm:   

As I posted elsewhere, I received a copy, too. I filed the message (rather than deleting it immediately) so I could figure out why I received it. Now I know. :-)
paxinc
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 8:01 pm:   

This is probably much too simple to be a possibility.
Do the recients of this spam accept all cookies? I only accept those that are returned to senders. One other thing, a pre-recipient segregating program like Mike described will ward off much aggravation. True, you have to check them yourself (last week I had nearly 300) in case there is real gold in that dross,but, with mine it's only weekly.
It's a Ca outfit that Hal-PC subscribes to.

Audrey
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 492
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 10:25 am:   

OK, it's pretty clear that they got the messages from the forum. Those of you who got it and report spam, feel free to report it :-)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration