Meditating on Solitaires Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » General Discussion » Meditating on Solitaires « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Andy Lewicki
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 3:20 pm:   

Let's deal 51 cards into 17 fans of 3 cards each.
Top card of each pile is available to play.
Let's put 52nd card as a first card in our Foundation. And STOP now. Here is the new way of playing. We are now in charge of choosing our own
Foundation. So, let's take any fan and put its cards as a remaining cards for the Foundation.
STOP now again. We are now in charge in choosing
our own pace of playing. A re we gonna use our Foundation cards as indicators (like in Calculation)and work "thru intervals" or mayby we
use a "golf method". How about some restrictions
for golf method by limiting the number that is allowed to put into Foundation, to 13 ?
As you can see, experimenting with solitaires can be very interesting. I wonder if this somewhat free style of playing (choosing our own Foundation
well, OK, 75% of it, and the way we actually play to the Foundation)will appeal to you ?
Regards,
Andy.
jasonc65
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 9:46 pm:   

On another note, I get bored with all the new solitaires being just variations on the same theme. Examples of entirely different solitaires than the foundation type (and that includes everything from Freecell to Spider) are Gaps and Accordion? Are there any others?
Melinda L. Hall (Jerseyelf)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Jerseyelf

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 12:11 am:   

Jason, in a book my father gave me before I began my lengthy plane flights between my home in New Jersey and his in Alaska was a game played in 4 piles, trying to finish up with 4 aces. maybe Thomas could consult with me on how to bring this game to wider exposure?
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 668
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 9:35 am:   

That 4 piles game sounds like it is likely the game Aces Up in Pretty Good Solitaire.

Jason, there are quite a few games that don't have foundations or are rather different from the normal.
jasonc65
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 5:24 pm:   

Thomas, could you please give me a list of those games, noting especially the ones implemented in PGS? I'd appreciate it. Perhaps creating a new category in your next version called, "Unusual Games" would be helpful.
jasonc65
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 11:26 pm:   

The game "Aces Up" comes as one of the sample programs in Dr. Scheme, where it is called "Aces". It is really not a whole lot different than the other games. Most of the staple games have some combination of the following: the stock, the waste, the reserve, the tableau, cells, and the foundation. In Aces Up, the foundations may not be there, but the waste and the tableau certainly are.

Furthermore, the game in on the whole not very interesting. It is mostly luck, and it is very rarely winnable. Such a game does not reward skill, and serves only to frustrate the player each time he inevitably loses. In contrast, Spider, though not usually winnable, is very rewarding because of the skill involved when you do win. The 30% winnability rate and the skill involved is a good combination.

Now, accordion is much more like chess than all the other solitaires. You make "captures" by moving cards on top of each other, and the object of the game is to bare one card.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 669
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 10:12 am:   

There are lots of them. An incomplete list, starting from the top of ones that I noticed that are unusual in some way, would be:

Aces Up and its variants (Aces Up is actually a decent game, Firing Squad adds a little more strategy, and it also works very well in Action Solitaire)

Acordion, Push-Pin, Royal Marriage
All in a Row
Amazons (strange deck)
Anno Domini (has foundations, but changes every year)
Binary Star and Black Hole
Clock
Dial
Fifteen Puzzle
Gaps
Golf and its variants
Great Wheel (does have foundations, but is rather different)
King's Way
Knotty Nines and Trusty Twelve
Links
Maze
Monaco and Monte Carlo
Order Time
Osmosis and its variants
Pelmanism
Perpetual Motion
Precedence
Spaces and Aces
Strategy and its variants
Suit Yourself
TetSol
Thirteen Packs
Tower of Hanoi
Travellers Clock
Virginia Reel and its variants
and the games in the Addition group are rather varied
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 1:31 pm:   

the characteristic of this game which appealed to me was that it was easy to play on airplanes.
jasonc65
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 4:31 pm:   

Well, thanks, Thomas, for the list.
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 6:29 am:   

but as the airline companies can no longer afford to give out free decks of cards, I'm not sure that's truly vital. thank you Thomas! parlez-vous francais? Sprechen-Sie Deutsch?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration