Klondike Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » General Discussion » Personalities of solitare players » Klondike « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Rodney Jackson (Jacko)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Jacko

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 6:31 pm:   

Hello all @ PGS
I have a question. Is Klondike winnable, every game?. The reason for asking this is because I try to get every game out to a successful end. By rearranging the moves in a different order several times, I can win. There are some games that I just cannot solve.
So, back to the question... is it winnable every game? Or is there a cheat solution that is hidden away in a dark corner..? ;=)

Rod
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 3318
Posted on Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 7:35 pm:   

Hi Rod, The rules say about 80% of Klondikes are winnable. You can avoid a great many unwinnable games by studying the layout before playing a card, but the minute you move one the game will either be recorded as a win or a lose. A very careful player could keep a perfect winning record.
This is an example of a deal where it is impossible to get a score. Each column is dead. You could devise a great many more impossible deals.

In common with practically every type of game on the planet it is possible to cheat. Some players do. I like to think that most of us don't. Using the undo and redo buttons is something that we all do frequently. That is not classed as cheating.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 9:33 am:   

In PGS (Windows) the winnability of Klondike depends greatly on the KingOnly setting in Options. With the KingOnly option off, Klondike can be won very often. With KingOnly on, lots and lots of games are unwinnable.

In the Mac Edition and in our newer games Most Popular Solitaire and Goodsol Solitaire 101, this issue is done away with and the game is seperated into two games, with regular Klondike equivalent to having KingOnly on and then a variation called "Klondike [easy]" where KingOnly is off.

The setting of 1 card deal and 3 card deal also has a similar effect on winnability, with 1 card deal being easier than 3 card deal.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration